24 year old career changer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosietechgal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for some candid advice. Here's a bit of background on me:

Ever since I can remember I've wanted to help others by pursuing a career in medicine. I was an honors student in high school and breezed through without trying. Fast forward to my freshman year of college. I had no established work ethic, which made me hate school. I ended up dropping out. I've now been in the business/corporate time working full time for the last four years. In January I enrolled in school to finish my degree. I regret not putting effort into school at 18. I'm now 24 and wondering if it's too late to try and pursue a career in medicine? I'll complete my bachelors by December of 2019. I'm wondering if it's ok to take my science classes at community college since I'm a non traditional student? Will I even have a chance at Med School? My degree will be a bachelors of Computer Science and I'm hoping by having all of the necessary prerequisites I will be ok. I'm also considering completing certified nurse assistant training so that I can work as one while in school. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? Or anyone in a similar situation? I'm hoping I haven't missed my chance.

Members don't see this ad.

My son is slightly older than you.

*I* am the premed (well, he is too).

Your question again? :)

Reactions: 1 users
You're fine! My start was similar to yours. First two years I didn't care, had a few retakes and a bunch of C's. My last year of engineering school I decided to pursue medicine. I finished my degree, did a year of prereqs at my local state college, did some hospital volunteering, shadowed two doctors, took the MCAT and got into a DO school. I'm 25 right now and I'll be starting in July. Below is my original "what are my chances" post right after taking the MCAT.

DO - 3.16 cGPA 3.44 sGPA 505 MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm now 24 and wondering if it's too late to try and pursue a career in medicine?

Nope, not too late and not too old. Is it just me, or should no one ever consider themselves even close to old until they get into the would-have-a-geriatric-pregnancy category??

I'll complete my bachelors by December of 2019. I'm wondering if it's ok to take my science classes at community college since I'm a non traditional student?

If you take the med school prereqs during or soon after you get your bachelor's, it'll look like a cop-out. Try to do them while you're getting your bachelor's.

My degree will be a bachelors of Computer Science and I'm hoping by having all of the necessary prerequisites I will be ok

This is great! I think knowing CS is fantastic for medicine because there's so much computing/technology in healthcare these days. Plus you'll know what to do to make our robot overlords happy when the time comes.

I'm also considering completing certified nurse assistant training so that I can work as one while in school. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this?

I wish I would have done this. There are plenty of CNA jobs (because no one wants to do them) and it's a great way to get the inside scoop on healthcare. If you can, try to get a job at a nursing home and a hospital (do hospitals hire CNAs? I don't remember) because the two environments are completely different.

I'm hoping I haven't missed my chance.

Nope, you have not missed your chance.

Additional notes: you absolutely MUST get in solid volunteer work. How about volunteering at a girls tech camp? Or better yet, starting up your own. I think there are established tech camps where you can start up your own chapter. Kinda like owning a McDonald's, but without the extra cholesterol. Whatever you do, the volunteer activity must be of service to others. You can't just volunteer at a local country club or something like that. You really need solid ECs and volunteer work because it doesn't matter how great your numbers are if you haven't done any of those ECs/volunteer work, your app will be thrown to the bottom of the pile. If you haven't done any of that yet, start it NOW.

I hope not. I'm 30 and will be 33 by the time I apply.

You would be better off financially if you did freelance tech work and clinical volunteer work than working as a CNA. The tech work would make you stand out from the many other cookie cutter premeds too.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I'm looking for some candid advice. Here's a bit of background on me:

Ever since I can remember I've wanted to help others by pursuing a career in medicine. I was an honors student in high school and breezed through without trying. Fast forward to my freshman year of college. I had no established work ethic, which made me hate school. I ended up dropping out. I've now been in the business/corporate time working full time for the last four years. In January I enrolled in school to finish my degree. I regret not putting effort into school at 18. I'm now 24 and wondering if it's too late to try and pursue a career in medicine? I'll complete my bachelors by December of 2019. I'm wondering if it's ok to take my science classes at community college since I'm a non traditional student? Will I even have a chance at Med School? My degree will be a bachelors of Computer Science and I'm hoping by having all of the necessary prerequisites I will be ok. I'm also considering completing certified nurse assistant training so that I can work as one while in school. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? Or anyone in a similar situation? I'm hoping I haven't missed my chance.

I worked as a software engineer for 6 years after undergrad and then went to medical school. I now practice and also have a career in clinical informatics. We need more clinicians with computer science backgrounds!