26 Year old career changer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seltzerfan95

Reaction score
Hi,
As the title says I'm in my late 20s working as an accountant. As a kid I always wanted to be a physician but was talked out of it and pursed a business degree. However, I am miserable. I simply can't do this the rest of my career. I see what my manager does and that seems even worse to me. I am curious about a post bacc program. Should I do courses at a local community college or will that hurt my chances? Does anyone who's been in my shoes have any bits of wisdom to pass along? I would ideally like to work while taking prereqs so I can keep an income for a bit. Any advice/ tips are welcome!!

P.S I am in the Greater Boston Area if that's helpful at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I worked in a similar line of work as you and was ~ the same age when I embarked on this journey (applied and admitted this current cycle). Happy to offer some perspective...

I simply can't do this the rest of my career.
I know the feeling! Good Luck!

My advice:

1. Accept that without any prereqs taken, this will take a couple of years at minimum to accomplish this goal
  2. Get clinical experience as early as possible, you don't want to embark on this journey w/o having a sense of what it is like to be a physician
  3. Determine your cGPA and sGPA asap
    • The go forward is a lot different for a non-trad with a solid cGPA (~3.5+) having taken little to no courses that count towards sGPA
    • Conversely, if you are starting out with a below 3.0 cGPA, the calculus is different
  4. Speaking from experience, community college courses are fine-the important thing is to ace them and ace the MCAT
  5. Start volunteering yesterday, I recommend leveraging your professional background to be of service to underserved members of your community
    1. i.e. Volunteer a few hours a week in financial literacy for marginalized groups.
  6. Working while knocking out everything (classes, MCAT, volunteering, clinical work, etc.)--it sucks lol, but is very necessary, I spent several chunks of the last few years in nonstop grind mode. However, now that I'm admitted, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Make sure to remember what your why is; it'll go a long way in the periods of suck.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! I worked in a similar line of work as you and was ~ the same age when I embarked on this journey (applied and admitted this current cycle). Happy to offer some perspective...

I know the feeling! Good Luck!

My advice:

1. Accept that without any prereqs taken, this will take a couple of years at minimum to accomplish this goal
  2. Get clinical experience as early as possible, you don't want to embark on this journey w/o having a sense of what it is like to be a physician
  3. Determine your cGPA and sGPA asap
    • The go forward is a lot different for a non-trad with a solid cGPA (~3.5+) having taken little to no courses that count towards sGPA
    • Conversely, if you are starting out with a below 3.0 cGPA, the calculus is different
  4. Speaking from experience, community college courses are fine-the important thing is to ace them and ace the MCAT
  5. Start volunteering yesterday, I recommend leveraging your professional background to be of service to underserved members of your community
    1. i.e. Volunteer a few hours a week in financial literacy for marginalized groups.
  6. Working while knocking out everything (classes, MCAT, volunteering, clinical work, etc.)--it sucks lol, but is very necessary, I spent several chunks of the last few years in nonstop grind mode. However, now that I'm admitted, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Make sure to remember what your why is; it'll go a long way in the periods of suck.
Working full-time while simultaneously accumulating all of those experiences seems like a recipe for disaster. Your postbacc performance is paramount to a successful application, so why jeopardize it?