22,000 German Doctors Going on Strike

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicholasblonde

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
nicholasblonde said:
German Physicians Union going on strike starting tomorrow, eventually to total 22,000 docs on strike:

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,1934995,00.html?maca=en

wow, first the canadian health care system slowly turning private and now german doctors going on strike.

what will future pre-meds point to in their interviews as good alternative health care systems now?

i wish i knew...

Yeah its a shame when goverment can't run healthcare correctly. It ridiculous the amount that physicians are paid in Germany. Either way, I am still for a single-payer and universal healthcare system. I think it can be done, and not screw physicians in the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vista04 said:
wow, first the canadian health care system slowly turning private and now german doctors going on strike.

what will future pre-meds point to in their interviews as good alternative health care systems now?

i wish i knew...

Hows that socialized medicine coming now? LOL. Once you start to think about it you realize how terrible it would be to just copy what they are doing. Congrats to them for standing up for their rights.

Vista04 said:

i wish i knew...

Why, the answer was right under your nose, my boy! From the linked article:

"The union has noted that comparable countries in the European Union paid far higher salaries and argued that the only way to stop a mass flight of doctors was to raise the pay scale, noting that some 6,300 German hospital physicians had already left to work abroad."

Plastikos said:
Hows that socialized medicine coming now? LOL. Once you start to think about it you realize how terrible it would be to just copy what they are doing. Congrats to them for standing up for their rights.

Hmmm, let's look at the German healthcare system. The actual one, that is, not the one you've made up.

- Compulsory enrollment in one of several public insurance companies for 90% of population.
- These public insurance companies are funded by premiums, not tax money.
- 50% of premiums are paid by employers (sound familiar?).
- For remaining 10% of population (the wealthiest 10%), there is a "vast number of private health insurers, offering various insurance plans." [1] These include both domestic and foreign insurance companies competing in the German market.
- While the German government has a strong say in health policy, "except for the funding of some benefits and the planning and financing of hospitals, the responsibility for administering and providing health care has been delegated to non-state entities, including national and regional associations of health care providers, Land hospital associations, nonprofit insurance funds, private insurance companies, and voluntary organizations." [2]

Those commies.

Finally, from Just Landed:

"The German health care system has the reputation of being one of the best in the world. There is an extensive network of hospitals and doctors covering even the remotest areas of Germany.

Waiting lists for treatments are rare. Medical facilities are equipped with the latest technology and the statutory health insurance scheme provides nearly full cover for most medical treatments and medicines. Almost everybody in Germany has access to this system, irrespective of income or social status.

The downside is that medical costs are high. Health care costs - for doctors, hospital stays and even medicines - are among the most expensive in the world. There is no such thing as "free" treatment in Germany, not even in state hospitals. All care, including emergencies, has to be paid for by you or your health insurance!

When coming to Germany, it is therefore extremely important to have a full health care insurance, as a serious illness could cause a financial disaster."

Oh, and one more thing.

Per capita health care expenditures 2000:

United States: $4,631
Germany: $2,748

Elastase said:
Yeah its a shame when goverment can't run healthcare correctly. It ridiculous the amount that physicians are paid in Germany. Either way, I am still for a single-payer and universal healthcare system. I think it can be done, and not screw physicians in the process.
Spoken like someone who hasn't talked to German docs.....

Havarti666 said:
Hmmm, let's look at the German healthcare system. The actual one, that is, not the one you've made up.

- Compulsory enrollment in one of several public insurance companies for 90% of population.
- These public insurance companies are funded by premiums, not tax money.
- 50% of premiums are paid by employers (sound familiar?).
- For remaining 10% of population (the wealthiest 10%), there is a "vast number of private health insurers, offering various insurance plans." [1] These include both domestic and foreign insurance companies competing in the German market.
- While the German government has a strong say in health policy, "except for the funding of some benefits and the planning and financing of hospitals, the responsibility for administering and providing health care has been delegated to non-state entities, including national and regional associations of health care providers, Land hospital associations, nonprofit insurance funds, private insurance companies, and voluntary organizations." [2]

Those commies.

Finally, from Just Landed:

"The German health care system has the reputation of being one of the best in the world. There is an extensive network of hospitals and doctors covering even the remotest areas of Germany.

Waiting lists for treatments are rare. Medical facilities are equipped with the latest technology and the statutory health insurance scheme provides nearly full cover for most medical treatments and medicines. Almost everybody in Germany has access to this system, irrespective of income or social status.

The downside is that medical costs are high. Health care costs - for doctors, hospital stays and even medicines - are among the most expensive in the world. There is no such thing as "free" treatment in Germany, not even in state hospitals. All care, including emergencies, has to be paid for by you or your health insurance!

When coming to Germany, it is therefore extremely important to have a full health care insurance, as a serious illness could cause a financial disaster."

Oh, and one more thing.

Per capita health care expenditures 2000:

United States: $4,631
Germany: $2,748

Blah, blah, blah. It seems you forgot to put in this one important stat: pls find.

Physician Pay (avg)
U.S.-
Germany-

PS-If it so great why are the doctors striking? For drs. to actually walk out on pts it HAS to be bad.

chuck norris is german

-mota

Plastikos said:
Blah, blah, blah. It seems you forgot to put in this one important stat: pls find.

Physician Pay (avg)
U.S.-
Germany-

PS-If it so great why are the doctors striking? For drs. to actually walk out on pts it HAS to be bad.

Oh, I have no doubt that it's sucks for them. I was just willing to bet you had no idea what their healthcare system really is. That's why I responded to your post, not the OP's. See how that works?

Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
-mota

drmota said:
Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
-mota
You beat me here mota! Just like Chuck Norris beats Germans as a warm up to future a** kickings.

The Beatles song Norwegian Wood is in fact about Chuck Norris' penis.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
DropkickMurphy said:
Spoken like someone who hasn't talked to German docs.....

Actually there is a German physician in my lab that is applying for US residency. I just got a great perspective on the system from him. He strongly believes that healthcare should be universal and its GREAT for patients, but that its completely unfair to German physicians. They work 90hours per week and get paid for 40 hours per week (throughout their career)...

Chuck Norris earned his black belt by beating the living hell out of 22,000 striking german doctors dressed as ninjas.

Plastikos said:
It seems you forgot to put in this one important stat: pls find.

Physician Pay (avg)
U.S.-
Germany-

Sure thing, hoss. It's from this Spiegel article on German doctors fleeing for better pay overseas.

Here is a graph from the article:

0,1020,575805,00.gif

Three things:

(1) The salaries on this graph are all over the place. It kinda makes you think that physician pay in every non-American country does not automatically blow.

(2) From the article: "Embittered, he came to terms with his superior's fantasies of omnipotence and went on to become senior physician at the orthopedic clinic at Frankfurt University. He worked 60 hours a week, did mammoth shifts around the clock, fulfilled the demands of his superiors."

Sixty hours a week? Are you fvcking kidding me? Most of the surgeons I know put that much time in by Wednesday afternoon.

(3) Yeah, they really are getting screwed by their system... their incredibly foreign system of employer-supported healthcare that's funded by premiums instead of tax dollars.

Havarti666 said:
Oh, I have no doubt that it's sucks for them. I was just willing to bet you had no idea what their healthcare system really is. That's why I responded to your post, not the OP's. See how that works?

Your right, i am an ignoramus. So what did your statement have to do with the argument? You just troll forums for ppl who appear not to know random facts? Nice. Anyone who has ever applied to medical school knows about the "other" healthcare systems. Then you yammer on about how awesome it is, yet their doctors are jumping ship, and most ppl know Canada and Europe have their own problems.

Oh and BTW:You strike me as someone who doesnt know that much about Chuck Norris.

Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.

The chief export of Chuck Norris is Pain.

There is no chin under Chuck Norris' Beard. There is only another fist.

Chuck Norris has two speeds. Walk, and Kill.

The leading causes of death in the United States are: 1. Heart Disease 2. Chuck Norris 3. Cancer

The grass is always greener on the other side, unless Chuck Norris has been there. In that case the grass is most likely soaked in blood and tears.

Havarti666 said:
Sure thing, hoss. It's from this Spiegel article on German doctors fleeing for better pay overseas.

0,1020,575805,00.gif

Three things:

(1) The salaries on this graph are all over the place. It kinda makes you think that physician pay in every non-American country does not automatically blow.

(2) From the article: "Embittered, he came to terms with his superior's fantasies of omnipotence and went on to become senior physician at the orthopedic clinic at Frankfurt University. He worked 60 hours a week, did mammoth shifts around the clock, fulfilled the demands of his superiors."

Sixty hours a week? Are you fvcking kidding me? Most of the surgeons I know put that much time in by Wednesday afternoon.

(3) Yeah, they really are getting screwed by their system... their incredibly foreign system of employer-supported healthcare that's funded by premiums instead of tax dollars.

Is this graph supposed to help? This looks terrible for German Drs. Dude, if its so awesome why dont you go over and practice there?

Plastikos said:
Is this graph supposed to help? This looks terrible for German Drs. Dude, if its so awesome why dont you go over and practice there?

Read or reread (3).

Plastikos said:
Your right, i am an ignoramus. So what did your statement have to do with the argument? You just troll forums for ppl who appear not to know random facts? Nice.

I enjoy reading about healthcare policy in some of my spare time. This is a discussion forum. People read what we write and respond. If I make an incorrect statement and somebody calls me on it I don't start whining.

Havarti666 said:
I enjoy reading about healthcare policy in some of my spare time. This is a discussion forum. People read what we write and respond. If I make an incorrect statement and somebody calls me on it I don't start whining.

All i said is it would be a terrible mistake to just COPY exactly what they are doing. I stand by that. If the drs. will not comply with a "perfect system" you dont have a system at all.

Plastikos said:
All i said is it would be a terrible mistake to just COPY exactly what they are doing.

No, what you said is this:

"Hows that socialized medicine coming now? LOL. Once you start to think about it you realize how terrible it would be to just copy what they are doing."

My problem is that Germany's system bears more similarity to ours than practically any other system in the world. Moreover, other countries with systems that could be more correctly defined as socialized have much higher physician salaries. Sorry, but you have to blame awful German physician salaries on something other than it being "socialized medicine."

Havarti666 said:

"Hows that socialized medicine coming now? LOL. Once you start to think about it you realize how terrible it would be to just copy what they are doing."

My problem is that Germany's system bears more similarity to ours than practically any other system in the world. Moreover, other countries with systems that could be more correctly defined as socialized have much higher physician salaries. Sorry, but you have to blame awful German physician salaries on something other than it being "socialized medicine."

What do you think is to blame? Since you insist on making this a serious discussion. Honestly listening now (previously burning time til the match).

Plastikos said:

Ich schätze, weil er kein Deutsch spricht. ;)

Messerschmitts said:
Ich schätze, weil er kein Deutsch spricht. ;)

Ja, das glaube ich auch.

By the way, I've worked in German hospitals, have several relatives who are doctors there, and have heard pretty much the same thing from all. German healthcare is great for the patients, but ****ty for the doctors. Many of the new doctors that are brought into the system are foreigners who relish the opportunity to work in an advanced healthcare environment, but German citizens either don't study medicine or go somewhere else to do that. My relatives have tried to convince me many times to move back and study there, but if my education gives me the same pay as a factory worker on an assembly line, there's no way that's going to happen. Anyways, good for them for putting up a fight. Who knows, maybe physicians here in the US will eventually have to take similar actions in order to convince ignorant politicians that changes need to be made.

interesting. it has crossed my mind in passing, but i never thought docs striking (in any country) could or would ever happen. maybe i'm just naive...

red dot said:
interesting. it has crossed my mind in passing, but i never thought docs striking (in any country) could or would ever happen. maybe i'm just naive...

Happened all over Canada when they switched their system. But the guvment won.

red dot said:

Despite the pious cries of many (on SDN), medicine is simply a 9-5 job for the vast majority of doctors on earth. Saving lives is cool and all, but at the end of the day, for most involved, it's just another way to pay the bills.

Havarti666 said:

Actually it is socialized (well perhaps more correctly fascist, but it amounts to the same thing). The government dictates how much you pay for insurance and thereby dictates how much doctors can charge for their services. If you read your own references, doctors cannot turn away patients. They must accept the price controls placed on them by the "public" insurance companies. It is a government controlled system. There is no free market. The German system bears little resemblance to the US system.

It is immaterial who pays, employer or employee. It is the employee who actually pays. If the employer is forced to pay a portion, they will simply reduce the employee's compensation. Since it is government mandated, it is no different from a tax. The exact analogy in the US would be the Social Security/Medicare Tax.

Socialized medicine sucks. It sucks for the physicians and for the patients. I know Canadians and they say their "free health care" is more like "no health care".

Can US licensed doctors practice in Europe/UK? If not, what would they have to do to get licensed there?

DryDoc said:
Can US licensed doctors practice in Europe/UK? If not, what would they have to do to get licensed there?

Generally yes. Requirements vary. DO's couldn't practice in the UK until recently. I think the requirement in the UK is 1 year at a NHS site in supervised practice.

I first thought of the doctors on strike joke when I first read the post title. ^_^ "get the pharmacists out there to read the picket signs" that's hiiiiilarious

Where did all this chuck norris stuff come from, lately I have been seeing it everywhere?

robh said:
Actually it is socialized (well perhaps more correctly fascist, but it amounts to the same thing). The government dictates how much you pay for insurance and thereby dictates how much doctors can charge for their services. If you read your own references, doctors cannot turn away patients. They must accept the price controls placed on them by the "public" insurance companies. It is a government controlled system.

What part of ""except for the funding of some benefits and the planning and financing of hospitals, the responsibility for administering and providing health care has been delegated to non-state entities" don't you understand? And why would German doctors turn patients away if 99.7% of the country has health insurance?

And "price controls" exist everywhere there are third party payers. Unless you're running a strict fee-for-service practice, you're going to be at the whim of reimbursement contracts with Medicare and/or one of the eight gazillion insurance companies in this country.

robh said:
There is no free market. The German system bears little resemblance to the US system.

From German Culture:

Some 92 percent of Germany's residents receive health care through statutory health insurance, that is, the GKV. As of late 1992, the GKV relied on about 1,200 nonprofit sickness funds that collect premiums from their members and pay health care providers according to negotiated agreements. Those not insured through these funds, mostly civil servants and the self-employed, have private for-profit insurance. An estimated 0.3 percent of the population has no health insurance of any kind. They are generally the rich who do not need it and the very poor, who receive health care through social assistance."

So they've got a system where there are 1,200 "sickness funds" collecting premiums, a portion of the population with private for-profit insurance, the uber-rich who pay for their own care, and the uber-poor who are cared for by social assistance. Doctors are reimbursed by pre-negotiated contracts, and premiums are subsidized by employers. No, it's obviously not the same as our system, but there are a few eerie similarities. And if you think there is no choice in the matter, read on:

Sickness funds are divided into two categories: primary funds and substitute funds. Workers earning less than the periodically revised income ceiling are required to belong to the primary funds; those earning more than this ceiling may be members on a voluntary basis. Some primary-fund members have a choice of funds. Others do not and become members of a particular fund because of their occupation or place of residence. According to figures from the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs for late 1992, of the six types of primary funds, local sickness funds, then about 270 in number, are the most important. Organized geographically, they supply about 46 percent of the insured workforce with health insurance. About 800 company-based funds, located in firms with more than 450 employees, cover about 11 percent of workers. Some 180 occupational funds organized by craft cover another 2.5 percent. There are three other kinds of primary funds (about two dozen in all); they supply insurance for self-employed farmers, sailors, and miners and cover about 4 percent of the workforce. There are also two kinds of substitute funds; they provide health insurance to white-collar and blue-collar workers earning more than the income ceiling. Substitute funds are organized on a national basis, and membership is voluntary. Such funds cover about 34 percent of insured workers.

Contrast this, at least, with the classic (not the nuvo private) UK system, which is primo socialized medicine. The government actually owns the healthcare infrastructure and directly employs the providers. Everyone is automatically covered from birth and out-of-pocket expenses are minimal. Granted, it's like getting healthcare from the DMV, but that's the difference between state entity bureaucracy and non-state entity administration.

robh said:
Since it is government mandated, it is no different from a tax. The exact analogy in the US would be the Social Security/Medicare Tax.

The "government mandated" part isn't as simple as I made it out to be earlier (see above). Even if it were, using your logic every mandatory expense in life is no different from a tax. Now excuse me while I pay my rent tax, food tax, clothing tax and transportation tax. If I'm in a car crash I'll be shelling out my emergency room tax. If I get leukemia I'll be paying some chemotherapy tax. You're correct that the money always comes from the consumer, but there are vast disparities in how it is allocated and how efficiently it is utilized. That is the difference.

Plastikos said:
What do you think is to blame? Since you insist on making this a serious discussion. Honestly listening now (previously burning time til the match).

Good question. To accurately answer that detail would require a level of knowledge that I do not possess. If I had to guess I'd say there is some foible of their reimbursement negotiations that has led to a dramatic squeeze in renumeration rates (while demanding more work hours, of course). But no, I really don't know.

P.S. Hope your match went well.

I think it is more than a little off base in interpreting the strike of german doctors in this case as a wholesale failure of universal healthcare, and agree that all factors leading up to this are prob very complex and difficult to grasp with scant info available.

To offer my 2 cents, I think one of the problems with our current free market system is that we have created a culture of consumerism in medicine. Hospitals are just as focused on provided patients with what they want as they are with what they need. I'm constantly taken aback by the amount of time and money that is spent on customer service (i.e. aesthetics, wall to wall carpeting, room service for inpatients, that sort of thing) at the expense of medical equipment or board certified EM trained physicians to staff the ER (as opposed to FP trained docs) at the hospital where I'm doing my residency. Clearly, money is being disproportionately allocated to create the appearance of excellence rather than striving toward excellence in practice in itself. When I see the higher ups poring over customer satisfaction surveys instead of measures of physician competency, I can't help but feel that the system is broken.

I can't say I've clearly examined the issues to know if a universal system would entirely eliminate these problems, but I do think it could lead to a more responsible allocation of funds if we focused on providing an acceptable level of care for all instead of competing for the few well insured consumers among the populace.
Then again maybe I'm just a naive idealist.
Or worse, maybe...becoming...a...Liberal :eek:

Havarti666 said:

0,1020,575805,00.gif

Three things:

56K a year?! No way. That is insane. Hahahahahaahahahahaahaha

Yeah Socialized medicine rocks! Losers.

Lets all go to school+residency for 13 to make less than the GED holder who files my reports. Brilliant plan.

LADoc00 said:
56K a year?! No way. That is insane. Hahahahahaahahahahaahaha

Yeah Socialized medicine rocks! Losers.

Lets all go to school+residency for 13 to make less than the GED holder who files my reports. Brilliant plan.

That's why they've been fleeing like rats from a sinking ship. Kinda make ya feel better about your own paycheck, doesn't it?

The german healthcare system is divided into two separate sectors. Inpatient and outpatient.

- Practically ALL outpatient care is provided by physicians who run private offices. Either in single practice, or in small groups of 2 to max 5 physicians (business structures are restricted to sole proprietorships and partnerships). It is all fee for service, not unlike the medicare system that pays for 40% of healthcare in the US. The majority of patients have their care paid for by the non-profit 'sickness funds'. Payments of the sickness funds are based on a standard scale, similar to the CPT/RVU system of the medicare outpatient payment system. Only 10-15% of patients have private health insurance which pays 3-5 times the goverment rates. Incomes in private practice compared with the US are on the low side, compared with other european countries they are not much different.
In recent years, private physician incomes have been stagnant. Rising healthcare costs due to the ageing of the population have put a squeeze on the healthcare financing system. In the distribution struggle over a essentially capitated cake, the physicians have lost out to pharmaceutical industry interests and the hospital sector. The physician organizations doing the negotiating are not very efficient, mainly due to infighting between the different specialties.

- Practically ALL inpatient care is provided by salaried hospital physicians in public hospitals. The hospitals are typically structured as non-profit corporations owned by the county or city administration. Other hospitals are owned by churches, workmans comp funds or occasionally commercial owners. Hospitals bill global daily fees including hospital and physician services to the patients insurer.
The numbers in the above graph represent the salaries of employed hospital physicians which includes residents and interns and compares it what I can only assume US hospitalist incomes (the old apples and oranges thing) (btw. the source of this graph is a leftist rag, quite amusing to see some neocons argue with based on this evidence base). Resident salaries (after adjustment for buying power) are actually better than in the US. However, most physicians in supervisory positions make only 20-30% more than the residents they supervise (think VA salaries). Working conditions for the junior physicians are very variable. It goes from 9-5 with reasonable call schedules to 80hr work weeks with little time off. Physicians are hourly employees and have a right to get paid for time on call and overtime. Hospitals often don't pay the overtime compensation they are contractually obligated to pay. As junior physicians are dependent on the hospital for certification of their residency training and often work on short-term 1 year contracts, they are not in a situation to use the usual avenues of union grievance and labor court to get their overtime paid. Due to a conflict of interest within the public service union, hospital physicians got slapped with a new labor contract 2 years ago. This contract eliminated many of the traditional mechanisms of extra compensation like on-call pay and weekend differentials. Physicians as a result often saw significant pay cuts. The hospital physicians last year separated from the public service union and are now negotiating with the hospitals separately. The 'strike' (which is more like a work slow down eliminating elective procedures for example) is part of the negotiations for a new labor contract which aims to re-establish the old salary structure.

Havarti666 said:
What part of ""except for the funding of some benefits and the planning and financing of hospitals, the responsibility for administering and providing health care has been delegated to non-state entities" don't you understand? And why would German doctors turn patients away if 99.7% of the country has health insurance?

And "price controls" exist everywhere there are third party payers. Unless you're running a strict fee-for-service practice, you're going to be at the whim of reimbursement contracts with Medicare and/or one of the eight gazillion insurance companies in this country.

From German Culture:

Some 92 percent of Germany's residents receive health care through statutory health insurance, that is, the GKV. As of late 1992, the GKV relied on about 1,200 nonprofit sickness funds that collect premiums from their members and pay health care providers according to negotiated agreements. Those not insured through these funds, mostly civil servants and the self-employed, have private for-profit insurance. An estimated 0.3 percent of the population has no health insurance of any kind. They are generally the rich who do not need it and the very poor, who receive health care through social assistance."

So they've got a system where there are 1,200 "sickness funds" collecting premiums, a portion of the population with private for-profit insurance, the uber-rich who pay for their own care, and the uber-poor who are cared for by social assistance. Doctors are reimbursed by pre-negotiated contracts, and premiums are subsidized by employers. No, it's obviously not the same as our system, but there are a few eerie similarities. And if you think there is no choice in the matter, read on:

Sickness funds are divided into two categories: primary funds and substitute funds. Workers earning less than the periodically revised income ceiling are required to belong to the primary funds; those earning more than this ceiling may be members on a voluntary basis. Some primary-fund members have a choice of funds. Others do not and become members of a particular fund because of their occupation or place of residence. According to figures from the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs for late 1992, of the six types of primary funds, local sickness funds, then about 270 in number, are the most important. Organized geographically, they supply about 46 percent of the insured workforce with health insurance. About 800 company-based funds, located in firms with more than 450 employees, cover about 11 percent of workers. Some 180 occupational funds organized by craft cover another 2.5 percent. There are three other kinds of primary funds (about two dozen in all); they supply insurance for self-employed farmers, sailors, and miners and cover about 4 percent of the workforce. There are also two kinds of substitute funds; they provide health insurance to white-collar and blue-collar workers earning more than the income ceiling. Substitute funds are organized on a national basis, and membership is voluntary. Such funds cover about 34 percent of insured workers.

Contrast this, at least, with the classic (not the nuvo private) UK system, which is primo socialized medicine. The government actually owns the healthcare infrastructure and directly employs the providers. Everyone is automatically covered from birth and out-of-pocket expenses are minimal. Granted, it's like getting healthcare from the DMV, but that's the difference between state entity bureaucracy and non-state entity administration.

The "government mandated" part isn't as simple as I made it out to be earlier (see above). Even if it were, using your logic every mandatory expense in life is no different from a tax. Now excuse me while I pay my rent tax, food tax, clothing tax and transportation tax. If I'm in a car crash I'll be shelling out my emergency room tax. If I get leukemia I'll be paying some chemotherapy tax. You're correct that the money always comes from the consumer, but there are vast disparities in how it is allocated and how efficiently it is utilized. That is the difference.

What part don't I understand? Don't be a jerk.

Frankly, I'm not following your logic. Those expenses you list are not mandatory. You can decide if you want to live in a palace or under a bridge. You can decide if you want to grow your own food, eat a McDonalds, or Mortons. If you get leukemia you can decide if you want to pay for treatment or not. This is a bit hyperbolic I know, but my wife and I make these kinds of choices for our family every day, not at these extremes but on a continuum in the middle. If the government mandates that we pay for something, we don't have a choice. We have to pay what they tell us to pay, not more, not less, AND we have to accept the product(s) that they provide. It is no different from a tax. The others are different from a tax. I don't understand why you don't see it that way but that remains my view.

Price controls generally do not exist is US medicine. We have negotiated rates for services, but doctors are free to tell insurance companies to take a hike if they don't like the fee structure. Likewise, many practices do not take medicare patients, or limit the number they accept, usually to patients they have been caring for before they went on medicare. Are US doctors under price pressure? Yes, every business is. Are they under price control? No, they are not. This is the essence of a free market.

Why would doctors turn away patients if 99.7% of the patients are insured? Simple, because they don't get paid enough by those patients. Of course in Germany the doctors don't have the choice to turn a patient away. This is why German doctors are striking. Since German Culture site is becoming the standard reference for this discussion:

"Portability of coverage, eligibility, and benefits are independent of any regional and/or local reinterpretations by either insurers, politicians, administrators, or health care providers. Universal coverage is honored by any medical office or hospital. Check-ins at doctors' offices, hospitals, and specialized facilities are simple, and individuals receive immediate medical attention. No one in need of care can be turned away without running a risk of violating the code of medical ethics or Land hospital laws."

As you can see, a physician has no choice but to accept a patient and whatever insurance they have. Which is why they get paid so little. They simply cannot say no, so now they are striking.

As for the non-state entities, here is what the German Culture sites says:

"In 1913 doctors and sickness funds established a system of collective bargaining to determine the distribution of licenses and doctors' remuneration. This approach is still practiced, although the system has undergone many modifications since 1913."

This certainly sounds reasonable on its face, but it isn't. Remember, doctors cannot turn away patients therefore the cost of a service immediately becomes the lowest price any one of those non-state entities is willing to pay. There is no negotiation in good faith. Since patients can get the same care regardless of which plan they go with, they will choose the least expensive plan. This has the net effect of governmental wage controls and price controls, and rips the heart out of the free marketplace.

I'll leave you with this thought from the German Culture site:

"The right to health care is regarded as sacrosanct. Universality of coverage, comprehensive benefits, the principle of the healthy paying for the sick, and a redistributive element in the financing of health care have been endorsed by all political parties and are secured in the Basic Law."

Is this social medicine? No, strictly it's fascist medicine, that is, governmental control over private enterprise, but I think you could split a hair with the difference.

Price controls generally do not exist is US medicine. We have negotiated rates for services, but doctors are free to tell insurance companies to take a hike if they don't like the fee structure.

You are not in practice in the US, are you ?

Why would doctors turn away patients if 99.7% of the patients are insured? Simple, because they don't get paid enough by those patients. Of course in Germany the doctors don't have the choice to turn a patient away. This is why German doctors are striking.

You are lacking a basic understanding of the healthcare structure in germany. It is the employed hospital physicians that are on strike, not the fee-for-service private practice sector (there are some talks about forcing the goverment back on the negotiating table there, but nothing has happened yet).

As you can see, a physician has no choice but to accept a patient and whatever insurance they have.

That is incorrect. Physicians are free to turn away nonemergent patients. Only if a physician has entered into a contract with the regional physicians organization to provide care for public insurance patients he is obliged to see these patients and to accept payment on the goverment payment scale.
If a physician office decides to specialize on the 10% private sector patients, they are free to charge multiples of the basic fee-scale. They can still opt to see public insurance patients and it is up to the patient to make up the difference between what the public insurance reimburses him and the physicians bill.

Is this social medicine? No, strictly it's fascist medicine, that is, governmental control over private enterprise, but I think you could split a hair with the difference.

You might want to read up on the history of fascism before you throw that label around.

red dot said:

I think it was in New York where they went on strike once ...and the death rate dropped! Just FYI.

robh said:
Frankly, I'm not following your logic. Those expenses you list are not mandatory. You can decide if you want to live in a palace or under a bridge. You can decide if you want to grow your own food, eat a McDonalds, or Mortons. If you get leukemia you can decide if you want to pay for treatment or not.

Not if you want to live you can't. Hence, I consider it mandatory.

You're arguing a matter of degrees, but you must admit that unless you want to live under a bridge, wear woven mats of grass and eat from a stream that you're going to be paying for rent, clothing and food. Those are mandatory expenses to participate in civilized society, but I don't see anyone calling them tantamount to taxes. They are just the cost of doing business (i.e. surviving).

At any rate, f_w obviously knows more about the German system than I do, so I will be deferring to him/her/it from here on out.

What is the question ?

My dh is a physician who was born/raised in germany and went to medical school there.

The main reason he left was the 'Niederlassungssperre'....one of the reasons that german docs have trouble getting into private practice and making more money is that the older docs pulled together and passed a 'law' of sorts basically stamping out competition. It has nothing to do with the govt. or the perception that it is related to socialized medicine. Only a certain number of practices are now allowed and no physician finishing training is allowed to just open up a practice and compete with the oldies...they have to get on a waiting list and hope to be able to get into a practice when one of these farts dies.

That is about to change, btw...in part due to all of the rancor recently.

The other problem dh had is that the system itself is very old and is set up wit a bizarre heirarchy....that forces finished physicians to stay and work basically as residents in the hospital...your 'attending' and chief of the dept. may be a gastroenterologist, but he gets the final say on all cases even when they are outside of his area of specialty.

My husband is an ID physician and surgeons in germany won't allow Infectious Disease as a specialty because they believe (perish the thought here) that they are the best trained individuals to treat infections.

Change is coming.

kris