2024 cycle or 2025 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rf4054

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently trying to figure out my time line and Im not sure if i should apply for the 2024 cycle or the 2025 cycle. When I entered college in 2020, The only reqs I got done where BIO and Math for the first two years. I was going to do chemistry but i could not get into any of the classes because a bunch of the chemistry professors quit and only had like 2 sections lol. Because of this i ended up doing a bunch of Gen Eds instead. I then transferred schools and am now taking 18 credits which include, Chem 1 and A&P 1. By the end of this semester ill have 77 credits. Next semester I will be taking chem 2, A&P2, and genetics and another gen ed course. Then in the summer I’m taking physics 1 and 2.

My original thought process was to take the MCAT during the winter break of 2023 and then apply for the 2025 cycle. My advisor keeps pushing me to take the MCAT this summer Instead of taking physics. They reason why i want to take physics in the summer was it would allow me to only have 2 or 3 classes during my final year, allowing me to focus on OCHEM 1/OCHEM 2 to get better grades. The reason why i stress better grades is because during my first 2 years, i only have a 3.37 cumulative GPA. This semester, I am averaging 3.9, which is really good and i want to keep near that for the rest of my time in college.

What do you think i should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think you'll be ready for the MCAT if you take it in Summer 2023? Don't take it before your ready.

In general, it's better to make sure you have the time time to get the kinds of grades you're currently getting, only take the MCAT after you have all the pre-reqs and time to prepare, and plan to apply at a time when you will also have the clinical exposure and do the community service that are so important to medical school admissions.

In other words, don't rush it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users