2023-2024 Uniformed Services (USUHS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am! Haven't heard anything from my interviewers yet about scheduling the sessions though...
Give it some time. They’ll reach out to you directly. As per the information given in the interview notification email, if you don’t hear anything by Thursday the week of your interview, contact your specific admissions advisor. Your assigned interviewer likely wears many hats, so it’s best to be patient and understanding.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am! Haven't heard anything from my interviewers yet about scheduling the sessions though...
Don’t stress it, one of my interviewers contacted me last night to schedule an interview for today lol. It’s a little unusual lol but they’ll get to you!

awesome!! I don’t think they could’ve gone any better. How about you?
Yes I think they went really well! Hard to know how they decide if everyone has a great interview experience😂

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how the DQ waiver processes work? I have yet to submit the secondary but I already know I will be DQ'ed for some qualifications by looking at the regulation.

Does anyone know how the DQ waiver processes work? I have yet to submit the secondary but I already know I will be DQ'ed for some qualifications by looking at the regulation.
Here’s the process in a flowchart:
IMG_2399.jpeg

Source: https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR2700/RR2780/RAND_RR2780.pdf

The first step is to take your physical. From there, you’ll initiate the waiver process (rather standard and frequent). Either way, I’m sure this is something that admissions is very familiar with and they’ll be ready to help you navigate even while you’re waiting on a decision of a conditional acceptance. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
DQ Process

Here is a link directly from DoDMERB dated July 2023. It is accessible without logging in. DoDMERB Link Select the Workflow Diagram of Medical Waiver Consideration. There is also another link to the workflow diagram... Remedial Eval on the DoDMERB link.

Essentially the same information posted by @SISUAT except that the Applicant does not make the waiver request with the service.

DQ Process

Here is a link directly from DoDMERB dated July 2023. It is accessible without logging in. DoDMERB Link Select the Workflow Diagram of Medical Waiver Consideration. There is also another link to the workflow diagram... Remedial Eval on the DoDMERB link.

Essentially the same information posted by @SISUAT except that the Applicant does not make the waiver request with the service.
@Helpful Troll thanks for the updated information! I went through this process almost two decades ago...so it's a new round of discovery learning this time around. What I can say is that many of the systems have improved over the years....

For anyone looking at this thread, always do your best to go straight to the source or regulation when researching these questions. Feel free to share what you find, but always be wary of any SDN posts or commentary from non-official sites.

Currently filling out the DoDMERB medical exam online profile and it requires that you designate the "service" "Component" and "Purpose of Examination". How did others fill these out especially because we won't have a branch unless we are accepted. Also I'm assuming we select "Commissioning"?
Sorry if these are stupid questions, I tried called the CIV contact number and the person had no idea, and the commissioning coordinator contact goes straight to voicemail.

Thanks!

Currently filling out the DoDMERB medical exam online profile and it requires that you designate the "service" "Component" and "Purpose of Examination". How did others fill these out especially because we won't have a branch unless we are accepted. Also I'm assuming we select "Commissioning"?
Sorry if these are stupid questions, I tried called the CIV contact number and the person had no idea, and the commissioning coordinator contact goes straight to voicemail.

Thanks!
Service should be your top choice (Army, Navy, ect). Component should be “Regular” to indicate Active Duty. You’re correct about selecting commissioning as the purpose.

Not stupid questions by any means. The Department of Defense has this and many other forms you’ll hopefully become well aquatinted with.. Each has similarly confusing entry fields…

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Service should be your top choice (Army, Navy, ect). Component should be “Regular” to indicate Active Duty. You’re correct about selecting commissioning as the purpose.

Not stupid questions by any means. The Department of Defense has this and many other forms you’ll hopefully become well aquatinted with with similarly confusing entry fields…
Thank you!!!!

Anyone who has interviewed or received an II - can you help clarify the DODMETS process? I received the email to schedule physicals and went through the online portal but it also said in the email and on the interview information webpage, "Your medical exam should be scheduled prior to your first interview and completed approximately 30 days after your second interview."
so I guess I'm wondering, when I call to schedule the appointment, should I schedule it 30 days out from my II date?
I didn't know there are 2 interviews and I haven't completed the first so I haven't received info about a second interview to know what 30 days after that will be. Any help with this so I can get em scheduled would be so appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who has interviewed or received an II - can you help clarify the DODMETS process? I received the email to schedule physicals and went through the online portal but it also said in the email and on the interview information webpage, "Your medical exam should be scheduled prior to your first interview and completed approximately 30 days after your second interview."
so I guess I'm wondering, when I call to schedule the appointment, should I schedule it 30 days out from my II date?
I didn't know there are 2 interviews and I haven't completed the first so I haven't received info about a second interview to know what 30 days after that will be. Any help with this so I can get em scheduled would be so appreciated!
Schedule it within 30 days of your interview window. Earlier is better in theory if you need a waiver of some sort. You'll have two appointments: one for your general physical and one for your eye exam.

Like sisuat said - earlier is better. Once you have the info, schedule asap. They just mean don’t waste time, try and have everything done within the 30 day window. The further into fall we get, the busier DoDMERB gets

Like sisuat said - earlier is better. Once you have the info, schedule asap. They just mean don’t waste time, try and have everything done within the 30 day window. The further into fall we get, the busier DoDMERB gets
Spook is spot on. It's not just USU that uses DoDMERB, it's all the service academies. Now, the thing that makes USU unique is that they retain their own waiver authority for disqualifying medical conditions, so your request does not go to the service component outside USU channels (this is from a May 2023 webinar from the school: ).

Schedule it within 30 days of your interview window. Earlier is better in theory if you need a waiver of some sort. You'll have two appointments: one for your general physical and one for your eye exam.
In my DODMETS exam schedule page I have Medical Exam, Audiologist Exam, and Optometrist Exam. Is it not normal to have Audiologist? Thank you for all your help!

In my DODMETS exam schedule page I have Medical Exam, Audiologist Exam, and Optometrist Exam. Is it not normal to have Audiologist? Thank you for all your help!
My audiology exam was done at my medical appointment!

My audiology exam was done at my medical appointment!
Thank you! Perhaps my closest urgent care for the physical exam simply doesn't do that, I went ahead and scheduled though!

Hi everyone, how long did it take to receive secondary app from USUHS? I submitted primary few days ago, still waiting on secondary app.

Hi everyone, how long did it take to receive secondary app from USUHS? I submitted primary few days ago, still waiting on secondary app.
I received it 9 days after submitting primaries. Note that you get the secondary application before your primaries get verified.

Has anyone complete late August/early September get an II yet? LM 71 (3.9x GPA, Low 51x MCAT)

• Inappropriate
Day 37 of sitting criss cross applesauce eating a rice krispie outside the admissions office until i get an interview

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone complete late August/early September get an II yet? LM 71 (3.9x GPA, Low 51x MCAT)
I know someone complete 8/6 received an II this week for the week of 10/23, so hopefully you’ll hear soon!

• Care
Hi guys, what is admit hold?
Where did you see it?

AMCAS traffic rules make it so that schools won’t be sending out acceptances until mid-October (specifically 16OCT23) at the earliest. And USU emails highlight the following timelines:

• If you interview in September/October, you MAY hear a response in eight to ten weeks.
  • If you interview in November/December, you MAY hear a response ten to twelve weeks.
  • If you interview in January/February, you MAY hear a response in twelve to fourteen weeks.

Where did you see it?

AMCAS traffic rules make it so that schools won’t be sending out acceptances until mid-October (specifically 16OCT23) at the earliest. And USU emails highlight the following timelines:

• If you interview in September/October, you MAY hear a response in eight to ten weeks.
  • If you interview in November/December, you MAY hear a response ten to twelve weeks.
  • If you interview in January/February, you MAY hear a response in twelve to fourteen weeks.
I actually heard it from another applicant I met who's already in the military system, who told me "Admit hold" is when they like the applicant but still wanna see if there are better options, which confused me as to what the difference is with getting waitlisted... unfortunately, I didn't think of asking this follow-up question on the spot :(

I actually heard it from another applicant I met who's already in the military system, who told me "Admit hold" is when they like the applicant but still wanna see if there are better options, which confused me as to what the difference is with getting waitlisted... unfortunately, I didn't think of asking this follow-up question on the spot :(
So admit-hold is pretty much exactly what you said. I did hear that this year USU is trying to fill less of their class super front-heavy in the cycle (which happens with rolling admissions) so they may be putting more people on hold for interview or admissions. It just gives them a larger pool of applicants to consider over more time. From admit-hold you could still go to acceptance, waitlist, or reject. The difference is that once you’re on the waitlist, you basically have to wait until pretty late to find out if you’re going. You could be put on admit-hold in the fall and get an acceptance in the winter or spring.

This is the first of an admit hold for USU. It would be too early for them to provide a status update along those lines anyway. What is a thing at USU but not something seen at other schools is 'conditional acceptance' which they will issue if you are still pending the results of DODMERB (approval or waiver approval) or if something in your security screen (SF86) needs to be adjudicated. Once those issues are addressed, you'll receive your unconditional acceptance.

Source: Medschool, Admissions, Application Process

This is the first of an admit hold for USU. It would be too early for them to provide a status update along those lines anyway. What is a thing at USU but not something seen at other schools is 'conditional acceptance' which they will issue if you are still pending the results of DODMERB (approval or waiver approval) or if something in your security screen (SF86) needs to be adjudicated. Once those issues are addressed, you'll receive your unconditional acceptance.

Source: Medschool, Admissions, Application Process
From what I understand, this is the first year they may be trying it out - although I’m not sure if it’s a status that will be shared with applicants or if it is solely for internal organization in admissions.

If we didn’t get an interview yet— did we get passed up?
May depend on completion date as well. I was complete like late Aug no II or anything yet. Someone posted a schedule earlier in this thread think they are giving out II until January it seems.

May depend on completion date as well. I was complete like late Aug no II or anything yet. Someone posted a schedule earlier in this thread think they are giving out II until January it seems.
Last week’s invites were for the week of Oct 30 - my friend who received one was complete 8/6. Still plenty of time

Did anyone else apply for the MD/PhD program at USUHS and hear back regarding interviews? I was notified of my application being "complete" on August 7th, and my PhD application was completed 8/29. But, I haven't heard back since and am getting a bit sad :(

For people who have completed their interview already, did you get an email the week before requesting the security clearance paperwork? Or did you upload it somewhere yourself without getting a formal request?

For people who have completed their interview already, did you get an email the week before requesting the security clearance paperwork? Or did you upload it somewhere yourself without getting a formal request?
I got an email after my second interview.

does anyone know the policy of thank you notes for the interviewers at usuhs?

Any women without prior military experience do their medical exam yet? That was...interesting lol

does anyone know the policy of thank you notes for the interviewers at usuhs?
Not sure what the policy is, but I just sent emails to my individual interviewers. One replied, the other didn't

For filling out the SF-86 form, we just need to list 7 years of residencies right? How do we know if we're SSBI which requires 10?

How long did it take for you guys to receive an update after submitting secondary app??

For filling out the SF-86 form, we just need to list 7 years of residencies right? How do we know if we're SSBI which requires 10?
I figured if I was SSBI i would know that i was SSBI haha so i did 7

Acceptance email about an hour ago!! My first one, this reapplicant is going to med school!! Interviewed week of 9/11

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Acceptance email about an hour ago!! My first one, this reapplicant is going to med school!! Interviewed week of 9/11
Huge W congrats future doc!!! Would you mind sharing stats if you are comfortable? I haven't received any II or any other notification since submitting my app here lol idk if it is basically over for me at this point.