2023-2024 Commonwealth (Geisinger)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you talk more about the mandatory vs nonmandatory sessions at Geisinger? Thank you so much for offering to answer q’s!
Sure! So there are essentially no non mandatory sessions but there aren’t classes every day all day 9-4 like a traditional lecture. All material for each week is online for you to go through at your own pace. Mondays are always free, nothing scheduled. Tuesdays would have anatomy lab (not every week) and a 1 hr clinical skills session. Wednesday and Thursday are the only days where there is something in both morning and afternoon usually 9-11/12 and then 1-3/4. These sessions are questions, team, and case based learning to apply what you learned on your own via the material online. Then Friday is a quiz in the morning (just for your learning doesn’t count).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Received my secondary back in August but never submitted. What’re your guys thoughts on submitting it now? They sent an email stating that the deadline is Jan 15

Members don't see this ad :)
Received my secondary back in August but never submitted. What’re your guys thoughts on submitting it now? They sent an email stating that the deadline is Jan 15
I submitted mine after 1.5 months of receiving the invite and I still got an interview. I think you may have a shot

Abigail scholars interview monday, got the A for that program today. Wicked fast turnaround.

Reactions: 5 users
just sent an email to cancel my interview and withdraw my application.

best of luck to whoever gets that spot!

Reactions: 1 user
Abigail scholars interview monday, got the A for that program today. Wicked fast turnaround.
Congrats! How does this program work? After 3 years what if you decide you don't want to go into Family Med, Internal Med or Psychiatry? Do you have to pay back with interest?

Congrats!! For the Abigail Scholar's Program, was there an additioanal MMI? That is, Was there one for acceptance to the school, and one for acceptance to the AS program?

Congrats!! For the Abigail Scholar's Program, was there an additioanal MMI? That is, Was there one for acceptance to the school, and one for acceptance to the AS program?
It was a standard interview, not an MMI, but there are two seperate sets of interviews, yes

Congrats! How does this program work? After 3 years what if you decide you don't want to go into Family Med, Internal Med or Psychiatry? Do you have to pay back with interest?
You do have to pay it back, at the interest rates as set by the fed. They really want people who are serious about primary care.

Does anyone know if more interview invites might be sent out in January/February?

Did they say post-II decisions would come out in 6-8 weeks or 8-10? I interviewed 11/20 & haven't heard anything yet, though I am doing the Recruitment Day thing in January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they say post-II decisions would come out in 6-8 weeks or 8-10? I interviewed 11/20 & haven't heard anything yet, though I am doing the Recruitment Day thing in January.
6-10 or “when we know, you’ll know”

Absolutely. M3 here. Ask away
Hi! Accepted student here with a few questions:
1) What is the campus placement like? Do students have any input? I am a local student mainly interested in the Northeast placement and wondering if this would factor in.

2) What is the dress code of the school like& what do most people wear?

3) Do most people study at the school or do they mainly leave after classes?

Has anyone received an invitation for the in-person visitation date scheduled at the end of January yet?

Just withdrew my II scheduled for 1/12. Hope it goes to one of you all! Good luck!

For 10/25 and up interview peeps, im predicting ~ January 15th or so for decisions to come out based upon the trend from the last two years.

Is being deferred to the next committee meeting the same thing as being waitlisted?

For 10/25 and up interview peeps, im predicting ~ January 15th or so for decisions to come out based upon the trend from the last two years.
this is crazy, I feel like I interviewed here soooo long ago.

this is crazy, I feel like I interviewed here soooo long ago.
I know right! I think we just got really unlucky with the timing of our interviews and the holidays. But best of luck, I know we all did great!

Reactions: 1 users
Is being deferred to the next committee meeting the same thing as being waitlisted?
From my understanding, no.

Being deferred until the next meeting means they will revisit your application afresh with the next set of new interviews and then decide to accept, waitlist, or reject your application.

In contrast, being waitlisted would put your application in a place where they would like to see additional applicants before deciding whether to offer you an acceptance/rejection.

Hi! Accepted student here with a few questions:
1) What is the campus placement like? Do students have any input? I am a local student mainly interested in the Northeast placement and wondering if this would factor in.

2) What is the dress code of the school like& what do most people wear?

3) Do most people study at the school or do they mainly leave after classes?
1. They keep changing campus placement timing but as far as Ik the last 2 classes have done theirs during orientation week. They do a ranked lottery so you put your choices in order and see what you get. You are allowed to switch w others tho if you both don’t like your placement. Most ppl end up where they want to be.
2. clinical skills sessions are professional dress w white coat. Other than that wear whatever you want. I never wore anything but comfy clothes but that’s up to you.
3. About 50/50. There’s tons of places to study in the building if that’s what you want. Plenty of people go home and plenty, stay up to you.

1. They keep changing campus placement timing but as far as Ik the last 2 classes have done theirs during orientation week. They do a ranked lottery so you put your choices in order and see what you get. You are allowed to switch w others tho if you both don’t like your placement. Most ppl end up where they want to be.
2. clinical skills sessions are professional dress w white coat. Other than that wear whatever you want. I never wore anything but comfy clothes but that’s up to you.
3. About 50/50. There’s tons of places to study in the building if that’s what you want. Plenty of people go home and plenty, stay up to you.

Is this campus placement for preclinical years or rotations?

Anyone else still waiting on details for the January in person visit?

Does anyone know how long after an acceptance people usually get contacted about interviewing for the Abigail Scholars Program?

Withdrew my interview a couple days ago. Hoping it goes to one of you fantastic people.

OOS just got the pre-II deferred email, not sure if I should be hopeful or not :/

Last edited:
Are decisions expected to be released today for mid December interviews?
I am not sure but most likely not. I was in the batch that interviewed all the way back in the end of October and I still have not heard back. I hope today is the day for us!

Reactions: 4 users