2023-2024 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I just got my secondary, LM +80 and I submitted primary / took Casper a while ago too
I am confused why I haven't gotten the secondary yet. My LizzyM score is ~82 and I submitted my primary on day 1 and took casper 5/23...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received an "application complete" email yet? I'm wondering if I should call their office to ask since I haven't gotten one and it has been over a week

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an "application complete" email yet? I'm wondering if I should call their office to ask since I haven't gotten one and it has been over a week
I submitted my secondary last week (7/17) and I haven't received an application complete email yet

Submitted 7/15 and still haven't received an application complete email. Also was thinking about calling/emailing them, did you have any luck?

Submitted 7/15 and still haven't received an application complete email. Also was thinking about calling/emailing them, did you have any luck?
I didn’t call them yet, but now that I know someone received “application complete,” I might give it another week

I'm confused how to write the Core Competencies part. Are we supposed to just list out our coursework?

I'm confused how to write the Core Competencies part. Are we supposed to just list out our coursework?
Yeah more or less, and also if you have any relevant activities that support those competencies (ex. research or tutoring in certain areas)

Im reaching the 2-week mark for this school, how strict is Boston with prioritizing submission order? Almost done but might be a day or two over?

Just got app complete email after 11 days

Just got an email today that my application is now complete and under review. I submitted the secondary app on 7/14, so it looks like they are taking longer than expected to look over everyone's app.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
they texted me (?? lol) that my application was complete 5 days after submission

For listing coursework in the competencies field, do you include AP/dual enrollment courses from high school if they're listed on your AAMC transcript?

for #4, how far back are we asked to go? is it only during college/after college? i did lessons for different things for a large portion of my childhood that i gave up when i went to college. should i mention those things or leave it out?

4. Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. Also, use this section to explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational/research/volunteering or employment plans. (2000 characters)
are people including COVID impact in this question? they say to but I don't know if it's worth including at the expense of other information I've written for the prompt

Given BU's emphasis on community health and issues regarding health disparities, is it safe to assume that acronyms like PWUD (people who use drugs), SES (socioeconomic status), or SDOH (social determinants of health) are just known? Or must these be spelled out?
I wouldn't assume.

2023-2024 Boston University Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Did you go on to college directly after high school? (1400 characters)

2. Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree?*
(Post bac work is NOT considered undergraduate. If attending a post bac program prior to entering medical school, the answer is NO and should be explained.) If you took gap year(s), please use this space to explain what you have been doing prior to applying to medical school. (1400 characters)

3. If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.) (1400 characters)

4. Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. Also, use this section to explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational/research/volunteering or employment plans. (2000 characters)

5. Boston Medical Center is the largest safety net hospital in New England, serving primarily people who are publicly insured, people of color, immigrants, and low-income people in the Greater Boston Area. Why are you specifically interested in beginning your medical education in this environment, and how do you feel that your previous experiences will prepare you for this unique learning environment? (3000 characters)

6. Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the Chobanian & Avedisian SOM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. Yes, it's really optional. (3000 characters)

7. Re-Applicant Comment - This section may be used by re-applicants who wish to highlight specific areas of their application or to outline specific changes since their last application. (3000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Question #5

Are we able to add in other reasons as to why we would like to attend BU (research, connections, curriculum, community outreach, etc...) besides just addressing the safety net hospital question?

Question #5

Are we able to add in other reasons as to why we would like to attend BU (research, connections, curriculum, community outreach, etc...) besides just addressing the safety net hospital question?
This feels like less of a Why Us and more of a 'let us know if you're the right fit to serve the patients we do' so I'd stick to the patient care stuff

2023-2024 Boston University Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Did you go on to college directly after high school? (1400 characters)

2. Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree?*
(Post bac work is NOT considered undergraduate. If attending a post bac program prior to entering medical school, the answer is NO and should be explained.) If you took gap year(s), please use this space to explain what you have been doing prior to applying to medical school. (1400 characters)

3. If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.) (1400 characters)

5. Boston Medical Center is the largest safety net hospital in New England, serving primarily people who are publicly insured, people of color, immigrants, and low-income people in the Greater Boston Area. Why are you specifically interested in beginning your medical education in this environment, and how do you feel that your previous experiences will prepare you for this unique learning environment? (3000 characters)

6. Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the Chobanian & Avedisian SOM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. Yes, it's really optional. (3000 characters)

7. Re-Applicant Comment - This section may be used by re-applicants who wish to highlight specific areas of their application or to outline specific changes since their last application. (3000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Should I complete question #6 or leave it blank? I was assuming that writing more might signify my interest in the school more. I was thinking of using an adversity essay or elaborate of my first generation struggles in college etc...

On the secondary portal, it specifies that BU wants 3 letters and to use 5 for special circumstances (such as grad school). However, on the MSAR it had not specified when to submit 5. Is it worth it to email BU to ask them if its possible to look at only 3 letters and which one to or should I just leave it with 5 letters?

Anyone else's portal say "on hold, follow-up email sent"? I didn't receive a follow-up email but the portal says they have all my materials. Not sure what this means.

Anyone else's portal say "on hold, follow-up email sent"? I didn't receive a follow-up email but the portal says they have all my materials. Not sure what this means.
You should probably email or call them about it. Mine says that my app is "complete and under review"

Mine had that briefly and then I received a complete email the next day

are we all not so patiently waiting to see if they were complete before us? no? just me?

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Yikes, was complete same day as thinmint.
I'm in for a long ride.