2022 transfer prior to starting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXRads

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So thankfully I matched into a TY and DR program this cycle, but unfortunately the location has put a lot of strain on my personal relationships. Being away from family for another 5 years will be rough and this has put my SO in a difficult position because she does not really like the programs in this city in her preferred specialty and she does not want to do long distance.

There was a posting on residentswap.org today about possibly a new program in a much much better location that I am interested in, and I want to send in my stuff but my 3 letters of recommendation are stuck in ERAS, one of them being from faculty at my current program so I don't feel comfortable asking them. So my first questions is, does anyone know of a way I could use my ERAS letters outside of ERAS?

Secondly, what exactly are the logistics of doing something like this? Do I keep my current program in the dark while I explore options? Or should I let them know so they could potentially find a replacement? If I do tell them I am interested in transferring out do I risk my current spot? Could they replace me even if I didn't find a spot to transfer to?

Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You're supposed to obtain a waiver from the NRMP before you initiate an inquiry with another program prior to completing 45 days of your matched program. If you do not, you risk a sanction from the NRMP for violating your match agreement (if anyone like your matched program turns you in). Typically the sanction is transient and just a stain on your record, but rarely it can affect your fellowship match (either you are flagged as a violator or you are barred from participating).