2021 Graduates & Jobs:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Speaking of which, there are two ATL VA locums positions listed on ASTRO. Isn’t that Moghanaki’s old stomping grounds? I wonder where on the hellpit scale that place ranks.
They're looking to fill at least one permanent. It's not SUPER hell-pitty. But it's VA. I imagine it's like being upper level management (but not the TOP guy) in a large post office, but instead of overseeing sorting the mail you're overseeing sorting the grays.

Members don't see this ad.

They're looking to fill at least one permanent. It's not SUPER hell-pitty. But it's VA. I imagine it's like being upper level management (but not the TOP guy) in a large post office, but instead of overseeing sorting the mail you're overseeing sorting the grays.
No VA job is super hell pitty. There's always the option of just sitting there.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The thing about intern year, it’s just a year. Being a RadOnc attending, you see no light at the end :)

No VA job is super hell pitty. There's always the option of just sitting there.
Can't do anything before 8 or after 430, even if you wanted to.

"You don't move the elephant, you RIDE the elephant!"

Certainly can work for the right individual though....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
If you want to be a clock puncher rock, go work at the VA, by all means.

In some markets, RadOnc VA job is quite a reasonable proposition.. decent pay, decent hours. I've looked at them a few times.
Straight VA employed is better than working at VA via a univeristy system

Reactions: 6 users
As they say, if you've seen one VA you've seen one VA. I was reasonably impressed with the VA I trained at. Good combo of resident autonomy with faculty from the bighouse and patients recieved good care. Sure things were slower then the main hospital, but overall the culture was to try to do right by the patient and people would work with you to make things happen. The Obama era mandates of being seen/surgeries within 30 days was helpful, as it meant increased block time/OR staffing since they hated to refer things out of the system.

Reactions: 3 users
In some markets, RadOnc VA job is quite a reasonable proposition.. decent pay, decent hours. I've looked at them a few times.
Straight VA employed is better than working at VA via a univeristy system
Yes. The key to VA work is get in early and maximize the pension through the system itself.

Disclosure: I don't work for VA and not expert.

But.... I think the pension is (years of service x 1% x highest 36 month average salary). So if you work 25 years and maxed out at 400k for at least 3 years, you'll be collecting 100k until kingdom come.

Last edited:
Yes. The key to VA work is get in early and maximize the pension through the system itself.

But.... I think the pension is (years of service x 1% x highest 36 month average salary). So if you work 25 years and maxed out at 400k for at least 3 years, you'll be collecting 100k until kingdom come.
This is my understanding of the pension as well, though I have certainly heard tales of (non-physician) folks figuring out loopholes to really live it up (that statement might be more geared towards state pensions, though).

400K is too generous… more like 325K is what I was quoted

Members don't see this ad :)

This is correct, with the exception of if you're there for 20 years and retire at 62 or later you get 1.1%/year * average of highest 36 months).

If you assume annual 2% raises (reasonable with government employment), with a salary of 350k and working for 30 years you're looking at 30*.011*620k = 204k/ year until death. Plug that into an annuity calculator, and you'd have to pay 3.8 million dollars to purchase an annuity with the same benefit.

Edit: raise the value of that to 4.5 million, since there is a surviving spouse benefit which would cost you extra

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You can make more than the President

VA is transparent if nothing else. $400k max

VA is transparent if nothing else. $400k max

For as little as the VA docs worked where I trained, $400k would not be bad at all. They would have 5-10 on treat and start fee basing patients out because they were too busy. I still remember the attending: "Your notes must be ready for me by 4 o'clock! After 4 o'clock is MY TIME" and he would leave at 4 PM and go fishing.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
For as little as the VA docs worked where I trained, $400k would not be bad at all. They would have 5-10 on treat and start fee basing patients out because they were too busy. I still remember the attending: "Your notes must be ready for me by 4 PM! After 4 PM is MY TIME" and he would leave at 4 PM and go fishing.
Yeah, our VA docs hyperventilate and feel overwhelmed with 2 or more consults per day. 10 on treat is stressing the system.

• Haha
Yeah, our VA docs hyperventilate and feel overwhelmed with 2 or more consults per day. 10 on treat is stressing the system.
I had a good portion of my training at a VA (which was actually pretty great). To be fair, VA patients were a lot more work than the main campus patients: often their disease is more advanced; staging is frequently incomplete; getting anything done for them quickly is an uphill battle; and you may be their only doc who returns phone calls.

Reactions: 4 users
Frankly, this sounds like a very solid job. But you have to live in El Dorado. Not everyone's cup of tea but if it works for you, really the perfect opportunity.
Agreed, I've heard good things about this group/practice, with the main "drawback" being the location. However, whether a location is a "drawback" or not is only an opinion, so if that geography is what you'd be interested in, it's a great opportunity.

Reactions: 2 users
With the coming breadlines, anybody in their right mind would jump at a chance to be in a large group, partnership track in any hellpit location. Better than a hellpit location dead end job, which is what is coming for many, zero biryani. “Golden opportunity” folks!

Reactions: 7 users
With the coming breadlines, anybody in their right mind would jump at a chance to be in a large group, partnership track in any hellpit location. Better than a hellpit location dead end job, which is what is coming for many, zero biryani. “Golden opportunity” folks!

If your not used to this environment, then it isnt really a golden opportunity no matter how much they throw at you

If your not used to this environment, then it isnt really a golden opportunity no matter how much they throw at you
My point is set aside what you’re “used to” and think critically and take a good opportunity anywhere before you have none

My point is set aside what you’re “used to” and think critically and take a good opportunity anywhere before you have none
If thatsbthe rype of calculation required...it’s time to think critically about options outside of this dead end

There is one other thing about working in a VA system: you have to be able to do things the least efficient way possible and be comfortable not doing anything about it. If you are even remotely type A don’t bother. You won’t be happy. But for the right person, it can be a great place to work.

There is one other thing about working in a VA system: you have to be able to do things the least efficient way possible and be comfortable not doing anything about it. If you are even remotely type A don’t bother. You won’t be happy. But for the right person, it can be a great place to work.
Sounds like most of health care. I truly understand and have worked in the VA environment as well with the govt, currently in a large community hospital system. My experiences has been that anywhere that has a large number of admins, absolutely nothing is efficient or timely.

Since my account appears to be undeleted, I will share this. Basically, the situation I’ve noticed is if you take the current map of where all the Covid cases are and look at the brightest red of the red spots… that’s where the only good jobs in Rad Onc are.

I am working with a clinic in Missouri/Kansas. They have 6 doctors in the group and each doctor gets 11 weeks of vacation per year. They need some doctors that can cover vacations. Details are below. Let me know if you are interested in helping.

Multiple worksites but will only cover one worksite each week.

Worksites are in Kansas and Missouri

Equipment: Varian TrueBeam

Treatment planning system: Eclipse

EMR: Aria, Mosaiq

Since my account appears to be undeleted, I will share this. Basically, the situation I’ve noticed is if you take the current map of where all the Covid cases are and look at the brightest red of the red spots… that’s where the only good jobs in Rad Onc are.

I am working with a clinic in Missouri/Kansas. They have 6 doctors in the group and each doctor gets 11 weeks of vacation per year. They need some doctors that can cover vacations. Details are below. Let me know if you are interested in helping.

Multiple worksites but will only cover one worksite each week.

Worksites are in Kansas and Missouri

Equipment: Varian TrueBeam

Treatment planning system: Eclipse

EMR: Aria, Mosaiq
What's the maternity leave like at this place?

• Haha
Prob not churn n burn if they are offering a stipend until you take the job...

They reeeeeeally want someone. You can feel it soaking through the ad

• Haha
Damn, only 2 hours outside of Little Rock and 1.5 hours outside of Shreveport.
Not only did they mention Shreveport, but they also pointed out the proximity to Monroe (home to Duck Dynasty). That is beyond sad.

• Haha
Yikes:

• Haha
Yikes:
Im sure you can get yourself a beautiful double wide, just got to keep waiting as the market is very hot right now.

Well you could buy the 280 acre plot and build a kick ass house . . .

The Three Creeks tract is just the right size for a family or group of friends to start a hunting camp and build a deer herd.

eh, never mind.

Also, when you have to (poorly) photoshop furniture into the home photos you know there are going to be problems.

Edit: In fairness, Zillow listings are far better.

This house in particular kicks some serious ass - 3600 Calion Rd, El Dorado, AR 71730 | MLS #R86782 | Zillow

Last edited:
Well you could buy the 280 acre plot and build a kick ass house . . .

eh, never mind.

Also, when you have to (poorly) photoshop furniture into the home photos you know there are going to be problems.

Edit: In fairness, Zillow listings are far better.

This house in particular kicks some serious ass - 3600 Calion Rd, El Dorado, AR 71730 | MLS #R86782 | Zillow
I stand corrected, that is indeed a nice house.

Not going to lie, either, as a hunter that 280 acre tract isn’t looking too bad at all…

1629416985825.jpeg

• Haha
Add a 0 to all the house prices if they were in major metros (ignore the trailers and open land).
20 acres with a nice house for half a mill.

Man that's cheap