2021 Graduates & Jobs:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheWallnerus

e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone who was a senior or chief resident in rad onc in January no longer is as of today. About 100/200 residents should have taken academic jobs this year, about 30 likely took community hospital jobs, about 50 likely took a private practice job, 5-10 a fellowship and the rest "other." Of the academics, about 60 will be at the mothership, 20 get mothership/satellite, 15 satellite, and the rest of those VA or other. This slew of talented and smart people were competing against each other and the ROs already out there obviously. So a person hopes there were >~200+ RO jobs available in America in 2021.

Do we think each of these subsets (academic, PP, etc) were able to "absorb" the new grads at the usual rate this year? Who knows? Are there stories otherwise? Can this question even hope to be weakly answered here. In this game of musical chairs, the number of chairs has been tightening and players growing. Or has it? Some people should be left standing when the music stops. But if not, all's well that ends well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Our residents used to say: "I would never work here; the attendings are all miserable." I've heard that several times over the years. Even the ones interested in academics when they started quickly soured on academics after constantly hearing that their ideas were stupid and their work was never good enough. Years ago our residents almost never went into academics. Everyone went into private practice and never gave a second thought to academics. The attitude from most of those former residents is: "thank god I got out of that."

Now it's different. Residents come to senior faculty with concerns about the job market and are told it's their fault they're not competitive enough to find jobs. They get told to do more research for the faculty and network more. So the residents start looking for jobs as PGY-2 or PGY-3, build their social media presence, do some research to varying degrees of success, and still find nothing in their geographic areas of interest.

Some graduates find a rural position and then jump across jobs for years. Some go unemployed or locums for months, a year, or more before finding their first full-time job. Some come to our chair as PGY-5s begging for anything. They get treated exactly as expected too--busy private practice caseloads at satellites with little support, low end academic pay, and no opportunity for advancement either to full rad onc pay or real academic work. Most of these "clinical assistant professors" settle in for the long-haul given a large area non-compete and non-existent job market. We lose 1-2 faculty every year, and we're not even a big department. About half of these former faculty spend years outside of clinical rad onc, and some never return to clinical practice.

This is the future in radiation oncology. I don't believe it will ever get better. Here at our residency program there is no need for a "no SOAP pledge." I don't think our program signed it. It doesn't matter anyway. We will rank anyone who applies in the match, and we will fill unfilled spots outside the match entirely either by taking those who don't SOAP or internationals on an alternate board certification pathway. ARRO, and the rest of the "leaders" who are trying to build an academic career on our specialty's demise, don't count any of this because they are looking to kiss up to ASTRO leadership and secure their own academic jobs or promotions by writing fluffy little papers based on publicly available data. Why doesn't Tom Eichler come post on SDN? Oh I know, he's too chicken **** to talk to the rabble directly. He only wants to post a well curated proclamation from up on high and then read filtered replies on his tightly regulated senior leadership mouthpiece ASTRO forum that maybe he'll think about the job market someday when somehow it hurts him directly.

@TheWallnerus I don't trust numbers from the ARRO surveys at all. First, I never got a survey when I graduated years ago from ARRO, Terry Wall, or anyone else. Second, new grads are often lied to. I thought I was signing up for a main center academic job to treat one disease site. The first thing they did when I showed up was make a schedule that did not include the main center and tell me to go see whatever patient found their way to me. I covered 3-4 sites per week for years. I don't treat the disease site I thought I was being hired for and was trying to build a name in. I'm still here though. I'll be here forever. One hundred job applications later, and I still get to discuss a $300,000 full-time non-partnership track job once a year either in some other very high cost of living location I don't want to be in, or the middle of nowhere.

Picture of my chair attached

1625150637843.png

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 13 users
Our residents used to say: "I would never work here; the attendings are all miserable." I've heard that several times over the years. Even the ones interested in academics when they started quickly soured on academics after constantly hearing that their ideas were stupid and their work was never good enough. Years ago our residents almost never went into academics. Everyone went into private practice and never gave a second thought to academics. The attitude from most of those former residents is: "thank god I got out of that."

Now it's different. Residents come to senior faculty with concerns about the job market and are told it's their fault they're not competitive enough to find jobs. They get told to do more research for the faculty and network more. So the residents start looking for jobs as PGY-2 or PGY-3, build their social media presence, do some research to varying degrees of success, and still find nothing in their geographic areas of interest.

Some graduates find a rural position and then jump across jobs for years. Some go unemployed or locums for months, a year, or more before finding their first full-time job. Some come to our chair as PGY-5s begging for anything. They get treated exactly as expected too--busy private practice caseloads at satellites with little support, low end academic pay, and no opportunity for advancement either to full rad onc pay or real academic work. Most of these "clinical assistant professors" settle in for the long-haul given a large area non-compete and non-existent job market. We lose 1-2 faculty every year, and we're not even a big department. About half of these former faculty spend years outside of clinical rad onc, and some never return to clinical practice.

This is the future in radiation oncology. I don't believe it will ever get better. Here at our residency program there is no need for a "no SOAP pledge." I don't think our program signed it. It doesn't matter anyway. We will rank anyone who applies in the match, and we will fill unfilled spots outside the match entirely either by taking those who don't SOAP or internationals on an alternate board certification pathway. ARRO, and the rest of the "leaders" who are trying to build an academic career on our specialty's demise, don't count any of this because they are looking to kiss up to ASTRO leadership and secure their own academic jobs or promotions by writing fluffy little papers based on publicly available data. Why doesn't Tom Eichler come post on SDN? Oh I know, he's too chicken **** to talk to the rabble directly. He only wants to post a well curated proclamation from up on high and then read filtered replies on his tightly regulated senior leadership mouthpiece ASTRO forum that maybe he'll think about the job market someday when somehow it hurts him directly.

@TheWallnerus I don't trust numbers from the ARRO surveys at all. First, I never got a survey when I graduated years ago from ARRO, Terry Wall, or anyone else. Second, new grads are often lied to. I thought I was signing up for a main center academic job to treat one disease site. The first thing they did when I showed up was make a schedule that did not include the main center and tell me to go see whatever patient found their way to me. I covered 3-4 sites per week for years. I don't treat the disease site I thought I was being hired for and was trying to build a name in. I'm still here though. I'll be here forever. One hundred job applications later, and I still get to discuss a $300,000 full-time non-partnership track job once a year either in some other very high cost of living location I don't want to be in, or the middle of nowhere.

Picture of my chair attached

View attachment 339785
Marked as "TRUE."

Members don't see this ad :)
The key to getting a great job is networking. Just that easy.

It might be worth it just to find whatever rural job knowing there will be personal sacrifices paying $500,000+ with the idea of just doing FIRE for 10 years, which should give you about a $2,000,000+ nest egg and then punting the specialty. You could spend the same 10 years at some "academic" program and may only walk away with $500,000 in the bank if you save and invest wisely.

If the future of the specialty was bright, which of course its not, it might make sense to do the "academic" thing knowing you can probably work to 60 or 65 and saving over the long run. But its hard to image that this specialty will be around for that long in its current form.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

It might be worth it just to find whatever rural job knowing there will be personal sacrifices paying $500,000+ with the idea of just doing FIRE for 10 years, which should give you about a $2,000,000+ nest egg and then punting the specialty. You could spend the same 10 years at some "academic" program and may only walk away with $500,000 in the bank if you save and invest wisely.

If the future of the specialty was bright, which of course its not, it might make sense to do the "academic" thing knowing you can probably work to 60 or 65 and saving over the long run. But its hard to image that this specialty will be around for that long in its current form.
I disagree with the future of the specialty itself. We're still an integral part of oncology care and always will be, at least in my lifetime.

Reactions: 7 users

Lets be clear: the specialty as a whole is not going anywhere. But long-term trends in utilization and physician numbers are going the wrong way which will make life very complicated for anyone in the field when it comes time to find a job or make a move. It will just keep getting more and more competitive until something changes the balance for the better. I love my job and won't make a change at this point. I am doing pretty well for myself in academics and I have no concerns about the job I currently have. But it does bring me anxiety to know that even though I have secured a few grants, started and overseen a couple prospective drug trials, and hold more than one IND, I may very well have a hard time even making a lateral move down the line. In almost any other field this would not be an issue.

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
I disagree with the future of the specialty itself. We're still an integral part of oncology care and always will be, at least in my lifetime.
I guess it depends what you mean by integral. Certainly possible that in 25 years, our role will be similar to that of IR and that we drop the pretense that we are on par with medonc and surgery. Maybe pts will get a couple fractions of xrt now and then, but very possible we will only see them in follow up- once.

More of a comment that there will be so many more rad oncs then patients that need their services in the future. Think about what RT does for lymphoma now compared to 15 years ago. I'm sure rad onc will still be around in 20 years but will we need 6,000 docs trying to practice it? Like what happened in nuc med.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

high-paying rural jobs are not as easy to find as most ppl think nowadays...

Reactions: 11 users
Those ASTRO gaslighting videos about outreach and need for more minorities are nauseating.

“leaders” in this field are non-existant

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m going back and forth between not hiring anyone out of spite to ASTRO and SCAROP

Vs taking advantage of oversupply

If you can’t beat them….join them???….:rolleyes:🤣

darth vader GIF

Reactions: 1 users
I’m going back and forth between not hiring anyone out of spite to ASTRO and SCAROP

Vs taking advantage of oversupply

If you can’t beat them….join them???….:rolleyes:🤣

darth vader GIF
Everyone i know hiring is pretty much looking at experienced BC grads now, when maybe 5-10 years ago, new grads would have been a strong consideration.

No need to take a chance when there is a clear labor oversupply

Last edited:
Everyone i know hiring is pretty much looking at experienced BC grads now, when maybe 5-10 years ago, new grads would have been a strong consideration.

No need to take a chance when there is a clear labor oversuppl

Our practice has now moved in this direction as well. We are preferentially looking for BC, well-established docs with a proven track record of practice-building who are looking for a change. I don’t like it at all, as it makes me feel even more terrible for the excellent recent radonc graduates who are facing this head-on. But, as a business case, why would we do anything else?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
the residents in our program did not do well. 2/4 with a FT job. 1 looking at fellowship. And the program just recruited it’s biggest resident Class yet.

dinguses till the end

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users
the residents in our program did not do well. 2/4 with a FT job. 1 looking at fellowship. And the program just recruited it’s biggest resident Class yet.

dinguses till the end
The math some of the smarter folks around here have presented looks like it was spot-on: We are making roughly twice as many radoncs as the market will bear (fellowships don’t count).

dinguses till the end
And how about the fourth one?

dinguses till the end
3/4 with FT job in our program, 1 still looking. It was a tough year

Said this on here before, but I've heard directly from entrenched rad onc leadership that they know the most recently fully US MD-filled classes are cream of the crop, and that they are fully aware of the dropoff in applicant quality.

It will be brutal in the academic markets in a few years. The desirable academic centers are doing their hiring in advance now, with the 'good' classes.

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
It will be brutal in the academic markets in a few years. The desirable academic centers are doing their hiring in advance now, with the 'good' classes.
I haven’t heard anyone say it out loud but these are political folks. It’s impossible to imagine a scenario in which they are not at least thinking it.

Said this on here before, but I've heard directly from entrenched rad onc leadership that they know the most recently fully US MD-filled classes are cream of the crop, and that they are fully aware of the dropoff in applicant quality.

PPs likely thinking the same thing....

Honestly can't say i feel any sympathy for those graduating in 2023+. Those folks have seen the writing on the wall, ASTROs (non) response, and the massive amount of shameless SOAP of candidates who couldn't match into anything else and had no prior RO research, LORs or experience.

Supply and demand is undefeated. Stolen from Mark Cuban

• Haha
I see increased workload in my neck of the woods. Once a position at previously cushy hospital is vacated, it just gets eliminated and other RadIncs from our group pick up the shifts.

• Sad
  • Angry

I've heard the same thing, and I know @StIGMA and I were at different institutions.

PPs likely thinking the same thing....

Honestly can't say i feel any sympathy for those graduating in 2023+. Those folks have seen the writing on the wall, ASTROs (non) response, and the massive amount of shameless SOAP of candidates who couldn't match into anything else and had no prior RO research, LORs or experience.
I've also heard the same from private practice folks (specifically, the senior partners in my group, among others).

Supply and demand is undefeated. Stolen from Mark Cuban
For several years, I have had so many back and forth with posters -who purported to be physicians, radoncs no less, that intensely disagreed that supply and demand affect our salaries/job market (and mantained that large academic centers charge similar prices to small freestanding ones)

I guess it depends what you mean by integral. Certainly possible that in 25 years, our role will be similar to that of IR and that we drop the pretense that we are on par with medonc and surgery. Maybe pts will get a couple fractions of xrt now and then, but very possible we will only see them in follow up- once.
I wouldn't profess to know the dynamics of the field in general... but in my microcosm, patients will follow with us ad infinitum if they feel they can count on us to return their calls, and trust our judgement and understanding. I have a few patients I only treated palliatively who still insist on 3 month follow ups "just to have another set of eyes", and will call me every time their med one wants to change regimens to make sure I agree (I usually do haha). We never were, and never will be, the gatekeepers... but being "the oncologist" with each patient is ours for the taking.

I wouldn't profess to know the dynamics of the field in general... but in my microcosm, patients will follow with us ad infinitum if they feel they can count on us to return their calls, and trust our judgement and understanding. I have a few patients I only treated palliatively who still insist on 3 month follow ups "just to have another set of eyes", and will call me every time their med one wants to change regimens to make sure I agree (I usually do haha). We never were, and never will be, the gatekeepers... but being "the oncologist" with each patient is ours for the taking.
True but what about the patients in which the insurance companies determine how many follow ups a patient should get? I had a few patients I was only allowed one to two follow up appointments despite my pleas and reference to guidelines.

Haven’t heard of that one yet except for patients referred to me through the VA or maybe prison inmates.

Haven’t heard of that one yet except for patients referred to me through the VA or maybe prison inmates.
Many Medicare HMOs require authorizations from the PCP for every visit. I've seen $50+ copays with those too. I'm not going to follow early stage breast pts if they are seeing med onc for their ai and their breast surgeon or gyn.

Ditto for met pts who are being closely followed by med onc

Many Medicare HMOs require authorizations from the PCP for every visit. I've seen $50+ copays with those too. I'm not going to follow early stage breast pts if they are seeing med onc for their ai and their breast surgeon or gyn.

I think that’s what it was.

True but what about the patients in which the insurance companies determine how many follow ups a patient should get? I had a few patients I was only allowed one to two follow up appointments despite my pleas and reference to guidelines.
Yikes. I haven’t encountered that… maybe because I treat mostly lung.

You have to trust your med oncs... Unfortunately, some will let a painful bone met go forever and never think of RT. Or brain mets some have no idea how to manage which can be really scary.

My issue is that my clinic is always so full, so I struggle to fit in all the appropriate follow ups. Not sure what to do about that. I know I'm academic, but my clinic always seems to expand to be more than the time I have allowed to be in clinic.

You have to trust your med oncs... Unfortunately, some will let a painful bone met go forever and never think of RT. Or brain mets some have no idea how to manage which can be really scary.

My issue is that my clinic is always so full, so I struggle to fit in all the appropriate follow ups. Not sure what to do about that. I know I'm academic, but my clinic always seems to expand to be more than the time I have allowed to be in clinic.
Completely agree. I trust most, but i have to counsel a couple of patients about what to come back for. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat, and simply don't have enough fu slots given all the new patient referrals i get

Or the random prostate patient who eventually develops a 1E DLBCL that they try to transplant for for an incomplete response to R-CHOP x 6 without consulting anyone else or considering other options. It was an extreme example but yeah, you can end up saving people from bad care. like Gator said above, I prevent a fair number of needless biopsies (or worse) when someone in urology or Gyn Oncology gets a bad read from radiology or a benign PSA bounce.

I personally still try to follow all of my definitive cases but being honest it’s more for me than for them. I’m still young enough I don’t want to trick myself into thinking I’m better at my job than I am. I’ve seen too many people that give themselves a false sense of how safe and effective radiation is by only seeing people once or twice after they finish.

Reactions: 8 users

Agree completely. Even the best med onc can get tunnel vision and neglect a patient need. I work with great NP and she has been developing a autonomous follow up clinic. She will run all of the cases by me and go over imaging. If things are copacetic and the patient is amenable, she will see them without and bill as the provider. If something is awry, we will see them as a shared visit. It lets me keep tabs on everyone and look out for recurrence/toxicity while not getting too bogged down. A fair number of patients want to see me anyway… but many are happy seeing her alone.

Agree completely. Even the best med onc can get tunnel vision and neglect a patient need. I work with great NP and she has been developing a autonomous follow up clinic. She will run all of the cases by me and go over imaging. If things are copacetic and the patient is amenable, she will see them without and bill as the provider. If something is awry, we will see them as a shared visit. It lets me keep tabs on everyone and look out for recurrence/toxicity while not getting too bogged down. A fair number of patients want to see me anyway… but many are happy seeing her alone.

In 4 years I’ll be having an NP with an MD hehe

• Haha
They’ll be

It will be brutal in the academic markets in a few years. The desirable academic centers are doing their hiring in advance now, with the 'good' class

Lol at this point do they even care about quality? They just want work horses that fill RVU benchmarks. Big RO centers expect you to squeeze in pointless research without any support now.

They squandered their best filling the ranks with MD PhDs from the 2010s already and again I ask what do they have to show for it?

There's a pretty high suicide rate among residents. Hope ralph is aware. he might push a desperate RO right off the edge.

• Sad
  • Angry
I interviewed at this place for intern year. The walk across the bridge from the train station to get to the hospital was just depressing. Thought about just leaving on interview day. Didn't even rank them.

I interviewed at Lincoln Medical Center and Brookdale Hospital (very similar type of institution in Brooklyn) for an intern IM year. Very clearly these are places you don't want to be if you have other options. There are plenty of hospitals in NYC that exist under the financial model of complete and total exploration of interns and residents. The whole interns have to collect the am lab blood draws is complete bonkers. If these families had the resources I would think you could sue the hospital/GME and the even the ACGME for willfully not doing their job to protect residents. Even now with three suicides it appears Brookdale Hospital IM program is up in running. If you ever needed an example that the ACGME primarily exist to protect hospitals and not residents here it is.

I interviewed at one of the “top” places in manhattan to do a prelim, supposedly the “better” one, and i will never forget the chief pulling me aside and whispering basically run for your life. I will always thank that bloke. imagine doing all your ekgs, blood draws, stat things because all nurses are unionized except you, so they worked out a sweet corrupt deal while screwing MDs. NY is one of the worst places to practice medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I interviewed at one of the “top” places in manhattan to do a prelim, supposedly the “better” one, and i will never forget the chief pulling me aside and whispering basically run for your life. I will always thank that bloke. imagine doing all your ekgs, blood draws, stat things because all nurses are unionized except you, so they worked out a sweet corrupt deal while screwing MDs. NY is one of the worst places to practice medicine.
Other places offer that experience through working through the VA system, in case people are on the fence about going through that kind of experience, at least it isn't at the main training site (usually)

Other places offer that experience through working through the VA system, in case people are on the fence about going through that kind of experience, at least it isn't at the main training site (usually)
Yup. Dosimetrists and all except you also unionized. Good luck working in that hellpit!