2021-2022 Pain Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessmedstudent411

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
'Tis the season to be anxious again!

Starting tomorrow, fellowships will be able to view applications.

Here is the google doc for this year's cycle: 2021-2022 Chronic Pain Application Cycle

Good luck everyone and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Those that applied recently, any advice for this year's applicants? How were the zoom interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wanted to submit tomorrow, but life happens and some things came up. Should have it in by the end of the week. Good luck everyone!

Yeah, I'm still waiting on a few things before submitting. Is it as important for pain to submit right away?

Members don't see this ad :)

Starting tomorrow, fellowships will be able to view applications. Does anyone know how to make the google document like previous years?

Spreadsheet for last year:
2020-2021 pain medicine fellowship interview spreadsheet

Those that applied recently, any advice for this year's applicants? How were the zoom interviews?
Happy to give advice to anyone that wants it, but probably best for specific non-traditional applicants such as myself. Emergency Medicine is my primary specialty, I'm a few years removed from residency, and I matched this past cycle. Feel free to PM me if you think I can help in any way.

Generally speaking, the Zoom interviews did have some hiccups with issues related to connectivity, but this wasn't very common. The whole thing felt a little unnatural at first and it's certainly different than an in-person encounter, but after a while you get used to it. Also, the camera on my laptop is situated in a peculiar place at the bottom of the screen. If this applies to you, I would just buy an external camera that you can place at a more natural eye level.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, I'm still waiting on a few things before submitting. Is it as important for pain to submit right away?

I submitted in mid-December but I’m not sure that it helped in any way. From previous discussions on this forum, the consensus was that submitting by mid-February would be fine. I think early to mid-January would be a safe bet though.

Also, I’m happy to provide advice on whatever I can related to the application/interview process if anyone has specific questions. I can also give additional information on places I interviewed via PM.

I applied as a PGY-3 EM resident so if any EM folks have questions about applying to Pain from EM feel free to reach out.

Reactions: 1 users
I've talked to an acquaintance who is a PD.

Some of these things have already been said :)

1. Invest in a decent camera if your computer doesn't already have one. Yes, spend $50.
2. Get some ancillary backlighting. Yes, spend $20.
3. Read some articles on how to be charismatic on Zoom. I know it sounds silly but this is a new beast. Things like looking into the camera (not the screen), nodding more, etc can make you look polished.

With COVID and virtual interviews, a whole lot more applicants can apply to a program. Simply because there are no travel restrictions, logistics of requesting a day off, etc. Therefore, an applicant should be ready to :
a) answer why exactly that program. There won't the usual be a meet and greet with the fellows, lunch, and standard PowerPoint presentation of program facts. So, it is on the applicant to gather this info (or ask for it beforehand). And, since you only have X minutes you have to cut to the chase rather quickly. Gone are the interview days where you can ease into the process and build-up to the key points.
b) have their letter writers follow up. Why? Because some interviews and programs can't really feel out the vibe of applicants via Zoom. So, they'll turn to your letter writers to see what they think of you. So, the applicant may want to consider dropping a note to the letter-writer or following up with them.
c) reach out to the fellows. For me, the informal parts where fellows would talk to applicants always provided the most information. Obviously, there are hang-out rooms and stuff with fellows but it isn't the same. Applicants can consider getting contact info from the fellows and following up with them to speak 'off the record.'

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I noticed only some programs specifically ask for med school transcripts and MSPE on their website. Do you just submit it to all of them or only the ones that ask for it? Are these two items considered part of the standard ERAS application?

Reactions: 1 user
I noticed only some programs specifically ask for med school transcripts and MSPE on their website. Do you just submit it to all of them or only the ones that ask for it? Are these two items considered part of the standard ERAS application?
Also another question along a similar vein: Is it acceptable to assign four letters to every program, or would it be considered not following the instructions if some programs only asked for three?

I sent the MSPE and transcript to every program. I think both are standard components of the application, but I don’t know for sure.

Also another question along a similar vein: Is it acceptable to assign four letters to every program, or would it be considered not following the instructions if some programs only asked for three?
Yes, I did exactly that. I sent 4 letters to all programs: Pain letter, EM PD, EM APD 1, and EM APD2. Not sure whether sending 4 rather than 3 hurt me at some programs but I doubt it had a big effect.

I sent MSPE, transcript, and 4 LOR (Dept chair, PD, Pain Director, Acute Pain Director) to everyone. Only additional request I ever received was for ITE, and very few asked for it.

There seems to be programs missing on the ERAS list (eg Greater VA LA/UCLA). Do some programs become listed at a later date?

There seems to be programs missing on the ERAS list (eg Greater VA LA/UCLA). Do some programs become listed at a later date?
Yes, some are listed much later. If i recall correctly, some weren’t listed til as late as March

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was able to get 5 uploaded but obviously only using 4. One letter I'm using specifically because that attending is well known to a specific program.

Have you submitted?
Nope. Waiting on letters to be uploaded. Probably will submit early Jan.

Hi all, good luck to us this cycle. Quick question, how many programs do you guys apply to?

Starting tomorrow, fellowships will be able to view applications. Does anyone know how to make the google document like previous years?

Here's a link to the google doc. Format has been changed slightly to try to make it more clear what was prior years' information and what is new. Good luck to everyone applying!

Google Doc 2021-2022

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, good luck to us this cycle. Quick question, how many programs do you guys apply to?
I applied to a bunch. Probably too many but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Plus I have a minimum spend for my new chase card that I have to meet anyway (will probably give my anonymity away if I talk to anyone for longer than 15 mins hahaha).

Last edited:
Applying to 45. If I dont match, no big deal. Anesthesia for 4-5 years, then reapply again once I get tired of anesthesia.

Applied to 40 programs. I have a regional preference so that was the main thing that limited my applications.

Wow you guys are making me anxious 😂. Maybe add a few more

My program won't announce the upcoming chief residents till March. It seems you can't update the ERAS app after submitting, so what do people do to communicate that on their apps when you find out?

My program won't announce the upcoming chief residents till March. It seems you can't update the ERAS app after submitting, so what do people do to communicate that on their apps when you find out?
its a good excuse to email every program to 'update' them. that will get them to look at your app atleast once more.

Any idea on whether programs plan to have a consensus on whether to do virtual or in-person? Seems likely that it's going to vary depending on the institution

Any idea on whether programs plan to have a consensus on whether to do virtual or in-person? Seems likely that it's going to vary depending on the institution
I know at least two programs (where people matched last year) are doing virtual interviews.

I would be very surprised if any program does in person interviews this year.

Also when do we start hearing back? I have heard nothing so far.

I would be very surprised if any program does in person interviews this year.

Also when do we start hearing back? I have heard nothing so far.
agreed. No reason for programs to interview in person.

Submitted my app today with 2 LORs uploaded, and 2 LORs pending.

It’s incredibly early, based on previous years sounds like maybe March or April

were yall prompted to pay for the app? mine says $0.00 in the payment tab.
Are you sure that you assigned everything to your programs and requested your step scores? The transcripts alone I think were $80 or something. For the individual programs the fee schedule is the following:
Up to 10$115
11 - 20$15 each
21 - 30$17 each
31 or more$26 each

Also, are any of you also applying to the NASS fellowships (for those who are PMR)? I originally was going to, but I don't think I will anymore. Either I match ACGME and can get boarded, or I'll just go to Alaska and do bread and butter ILESI/TFESIs or something. Is there any other benefit to doing a NASS program if you already have exposure and feel comfortable with ESIs and MBBs, and don't want to do anything related to sports and EMGs?

Yeah everything is assigned.
it even says app submitted and the time stamp next to it.

Yeah everything is assigned.
it even says app submitted and the time stamp next to it.
Maybe give the ERAS people a call Monday to check in on it, assuming they aren't there today. Happy New Years everyone!

When programs ask for a copy of a diploma, do they want us to send a PDF to their secretaries? I didn’t think that eras allows us to upload anything extra

Is there any place in the application where ya'll have been putting ITE scores? The ABSITE upload section says to only upload scores if you are applying for surgical subspecialties.

No but University of Maryland emailed and asked for my ITE's

Is there any place in the application where ya'll have been putting ITE scores? The ABSITE upload section says to only upload scores if you are applying for surgical subspecialties.
No but University of Maryland emailed asking for my ITE scores

do we have a list of programs that require 4 LoRs? I recall seeing it somewhere before but I cant seem to find it right now

I didn't include my ITE scores on my initial ERAS application. Should I be sending them proactively to the programs I am interested in. I achieved a 99th and 98th percentile score intern and CA1 year. My step scores were somewhat above average, but not to the extent my ITE scores have been. Any thoughts?

I didn't include my ITE scores on my initial ERAS application. Should I be sending them proactively to the programs I am interested in. I achieved a 99th and 98th percentile score intern and CA1 year. My step scores were somewhat above average, but not to the extent my ITE scores have been. Any thoughts?
Step scores matter far more than ITE scores

Do most applicants include ITE scores under their accomplishments in their ERAS application? Since I performed very well, should I be actively sending my ITE scores to programs?

Do most applicants include ITE scores under their accomplishments in their ERAS application? Since I performed very well, should I be actively sending my ITE scores to programs?
I figured it would look douchy to put that under accomplishments, unless you get top 10% on the BASIC exam which is a recognized academic achievement. I would just send the CA-1 ITE score individually to all the programs