2020-2021 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the A earlier today, interviewed 10/8.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if there are any academic scholarships that LUCOM offers. The only major scholarship that I saw was the NHS and HPSP scholarships as well as some local ones for Virginians.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I log in I just see this:
“We have received your secondary application, which is being reviewed. We will contact you regarding the next steps in the application process.”

How do I know if they’ve received my letters?

The last email I got on 7/28:

Dear Jessica,
Thank you for submitting your secondary application to Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine (LUCOM).
The Office of Admissions thoroughly reviews each application and supporting documentation. When all of your documents — including the three letters of recommendation — are received, you will be notified about your application status in a timely manner, usually within 30 business days.”​
Nothing since then about receiving my letters or being complete, should I contact them?

Update:
My portal looks like this, so I emailed them:
View attachment 320257
After you emailed admissions, did they actually follow up with an II? I emailed them a couple weeks ago, got a similar response, and have heard nothing since.

Does anyone know if the "provisional" status means anything on ASIST. My status has said that for many, many weeks now.

Does anyone know if the "provisional" status means anything on ASIST. My status has said that for many, many weeks now.
Did you already have an interview? Because they said a provisional acceptance is essentially a waitlist because they’re waiting for people that are accepted to withdraw which would then go to “provisional accepted” individuals!

Did you already have an interview? Because they said a provisional acceptance is essentially a waitlist because they’re waiting for people that are accepted to withdraw which would then go to “provisional accepted” individuals!
Nope, I am still waiting on an II. I emailed admissions after 45 business days post-complete email asking for an update, and they gave me a generic response saying that I would here back shortly but that I could monitor my status online. Well it's been 2 weeks since that time and nothing but silence lol

Nope, I am still waiting on an II. I emailed admissions after 45 business days post-complete email asking for an update, and they gave me a generic response saying that I would here back shortly but that I could monitor my status online. Well it's been 2 weeks since that time and nothing but silence lol
I also am still waiting for an II and mine says provisional too. Was a little confused about this and was going to email to ask about it.

Oh ok! You may hear back soon! I emailed twice about my LORs and then got my II shortly after the second time (I think about a week or two). My portal only updated AFTER my interview so I wouldn’t rely too much on what the portal says lol

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any mandatory religious services, like at Loma Linda? Did they make this obvious on the website, since I can't seem to find it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interview on Thursday!! I really want to go to this school and from the looks of this thread, there have not been many rejections post interview, i could be wrong, but this gives me hope. Anyone have tips for me on interview day?

• Love
I interview on Thursday!! I really want to go to this school and from the looks of this thread, there have not been many rejections post interview, i could be wrong, but this gives me hope. Anyone have tips for me on interview day?

enjoy it! don't be nervous they were so so kind and the interview was very conversational. This is my first choice DO program and I am so incredibly blessed to have been accepted. They just want to see if you are a good fit for their school and mission :)

Question for current students or admin at LUCOM? Religion - what is the tolerance/acceptance towards other students that are of a minority Christian faith or a non-Christian student? I know what their official policy is, but what is the actual overall attitude within the school system? What is the predominant Christian Faith at the school?

Question for current students or admin at LUCOM? Religion - what is the tolerance/acceptance towards other students that are of a minority Christian faith or a non-Christian student? I know what their official policy is, but what is the actual overall attitude within the school system? What is the predominant Christian Faith at the school?

what minority Christian faith are you referring to? I'm Catholic and was wondering if the general consensus is positive towards various faiths

Hey I have my interview this friday and just got the itinerary. Even though they give you multiple time slots with everyone's name in it, you only have one on one interview in your time slot right? Does that mean you just relax and wait during the other time?

Hey I have my interview this friday and just got the itinerary. Even though they give you multiple time slots with everyone's name in it, you only have one on one interview in your time slot right? Does that mean you just relax and wait during the other time?
yes

My friend attends LUCOM and religion doesn't play a big part at all for most students. So you can definitely practice whatever religion you want or practice no religion and it shouldn't impact your ability to fit in with the class/make friends/thrive there!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I know they meet for decisions on wednesdays, but do they reach out as early as wednesdays or wait until thurs and friday? Also if they call and we miss it, will they leave a VM?

I know they meet for decisions on wednesdays, but do they reach out as early as wednesdays or wait until thurs and friday? Also if they call and we miss it, will they leave a VM?
Thursday/Friday and they’ll send you an email to your LU account! They’ll likely leave a voicemail and ask that you call them back when you can

Just got the call, accepted! I only applied to this school.... so that shows you how much I wanted to get in haha

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Anybody rejected pre-II after being complete?
My son got rejected post interview. He thought the interview went well. But, it was his first. Not sure why he got the R but he has an A from LMU-DECOM and KYCOM so far. Interviewed with VCOM and awaiting results. Has an interview with Campbell and Eastern Virginia Medical School scheduled.

Does anyone know if there are any academic scholarships that LUCOM offers. The only major scholarship that I saw was the NHS and HPSP scholarships as well as some local ones for Virginians.
It isn't an academic scholarship but if you are a VA resident, you should definitely submit for the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant Virginia State Aid | Student Financial Services | Liberty University which is funded by the state as an incentive for people to attend private schools at a lower cost. The amount for graduate students in the 2020-2021 cycle is $1,760. That amount is determined each year. Not huge in the grand scheme of med school bills but every bit helps and you can apply for it all four years of school.

Could someone explain how to get to the applicant portal to see the status of documents? I logged into the secondary application area but it just says that my application is under review. Thanks in advance!

Could someone explain how to get to the applicant portal to see the status of documents? I logged into the secondary application area but it just says that my application is under review. Thanks in advance!
go to your email and then navigate their sidebars

Anyone have any insider information on how the Falwell lawsuit could impact the medical program? Super excited about the A but this has me worried because the drama is dragging on

My son got rejected post interview. He thought the interview went well. But, it was his first. Not sure why he got the R but he has an A from LMU-DECOM and KYCOM so far. Interviewed with VCOM and awaiting results. Has an interview with Campbell and Eastern Virginia Medical School scheduled.
Sounds like he has some good options. Yeah, the med school admissions process is pretty mysterious. Best of luck to your son in his upcoming interviews. Many of us are still waiting for our first interview haha

I wish I had read about this before submitting my application to LUCOM, and I'm sharing it so others don't feel the same regrets: Why I resigned from Liberty University: Because Black Lives Matter
Liberty professor resigns after Falwell’s ‘Governor Blackface’ tweet

Black Lives Matter. Non-negotiable.
A school whose president doesn't value Black lives and faces no consequences for his actions, is not the kind of school I want to attend.
Do your research. Don't ignore what you believe in.
I totally agree with you!!!
As a current OMS-1 student here at LUCOM I assure you that we were all appalled... I never met the man and hope to never meet him.
That being said, I am not religious, very progressive, female student and I LOVE LUCOM. Jerry Falwell is NOT our dean. Our dean is Dr. Bell and he is wonderful! The staff is supportive and all people are welcome here.
Please, if you're reading this, don't let the main campus dean (He has since been removed) sway your opinion of LUCOM... we literally have limited connection to the main campus.
I understand AlpacaQueen's decision but I implore you to look deeper than the news. His actions do not reflect ours at LUCOM

Reactions: 4 users
I totally agree with you!!!
As a current OMS-1 student here at LUCOM I assure you that we were all appalled... I never met the man and hope to never meet him.
That being said, I am not religious, very progressive, female student and I LOVE LUCOM. Jerry Falwell is NOT our dean. Our dean is Dr. Bell and he is wonderful! The staff is supportive and all people are welcome here.
Please, if you're reading this, don't let the main campus dean (He has since been removed) sway your opinion of LUCOM... we literally have limited connection to the main campus.
I understand AlpacaQueen's decision but I implore you to look deeper than the news. His actions do not reflect ours at LUCOM
I also agree. First, I got my MBA from LU online. Both my daughter and son-in-law both got their undergrads from LU. And I know lots of folks who have done the same including my CIO's son who attended LUCOM. Please don't base your decision on whether to attend or not on what the FORMER President of Liberty did or said. His views and actions are NOT the views nor actions of the vast majority of faculty, staff, or students. We were actually very disappointed that our son got rejected by LUCOM this cycle because of exaclty what @justhangin posted..."The staff is supportive and all people are welcome here." Fortunately, he's been Accepted by two other schools and has interviewed or is scheduled to do so with four more so far. :banana:

Could someone send me a link to the accepted students page on Facebook? When I search LUCOM class of 2025 nothing comes up

Current Liberty Students - In terms of the diversity in Lynchburg, how do y'all feel about it? If I accept my acceptance, I'd be moving from being surrounded by so many different types of people/things to do close to a relatively major city to going somewhere a lot more quiet. Is there a variety of cuisines to pick from when you are going out to eat, and what about concerts and stuff like those?

Current Liberty Students - In terms of the diversity in Lynchburg, how do y'all feel about it? If I accept my acceptance, I'd be moving from being surrounded by so many different types of people/things to do close to a relatively major city to going somewhere a lot more quiet. Is there a variety of cuisines to pick from when you are going out to eat, and what about concerts and stuff like those?
I'm a current LU student who will be attending LUCOM next fall. LU is a moderately diverse campus despite it being located in a smaller area. I have many friends from other countries and larger cities who go here, and almost all of them love it as Lynchburg also has a fair amount of diversity. Although there are not as many things to do in Lynchburg as a larger city, Roanoke, Charlottesville, and DC are not too far away for an evening getaway. In my opinion, Lynchburg has enough fun; anything more would distract me from my studies. The campus is stunning, and I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I've been impressed by how nice many of the students are here, considering I also came from a larger city and had my initial doubts. Lynchburg's food is pretty good; there are plenty of places to try different kinds of foods as I also like trying different cuisines.

Feel free to message me if you have any other specific questions!

How long after the acceptance call did you guys receive the email with all the info?

Does anyone know if LUCOM sends an email or anything if rejected? Or if there is some sort of update on the ASIST portal?

II just now! Any tips to prepare?

II just now! Any tips to prepare?
I had a super conversational interview - just be prepared to answer “why medicine, why DO, and why LUCOM?”

They’re also very interested in service, so talk about your service experiences as much as you can without noticeably overdoing It!

Also, you can see who your interview is by checking the other name on your google invitation. Wouldn’t hurt to look them up!

• Love