General Admissions & OTCAS 2020-2021 Cycle Stats / Etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was also interviewed at Hofstra on September 25th! I haven't heard anything either and was starting to get worried. I guess they haven't sent anything out yet.
That's so funny, we were probably in the interview together. I think a "few" means like 3 weeks so if we don't hear by Friday I'm going to really panic. Wonder if they sent any notifications out yet or if they will be all sent out together. Good luck!!! Crossing my fingers for us both

Members don't see this ad.

That's so funny, we were probably in the interview together. I think a "few" means like 3 weeks so if we don't hear by Friday I'm going to really panic. Wonder if they sent any notifications out yet or if they will be all sent out together. Good luck!!! Crossing my fingers for us both
Haha, yeah I think we were since it was group interview! Hopefully we hear back this week. Good luck!

Hi everyone! I am working on my applications but would love to connect with other applicants for support.

Major: Special Education
Minor: Psychology
Cum. GPA: 3.85
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Verbal: 160, Quantitative: 154, AW: 4.0
Work Experience: Most recently worked as a spa attendant for the past 2 years. Since 2015, I have also worked as a personal shopper, banquet server, and head cashier.
Classroom Experience: Student teacher at elementary school for fall 2020, EC practicum intern at middle school for fall 2019, EC practicum intern at community school for spring 2019, EC classroom intern at elementary school for fall 2018, after school intern for spring 2018.
OT Experience: 30 shadowing and internship hours in clinical pediatric setting, 33 shadowing and internship hours in elementary setting, and 3 shadowing hours in assisted living facility (wanted more, but COVID)
Community Experience: Peer Advisor for Health Professions Advising Office for 3 semesters
Applying: East Carolina University (ECU), Medical University of SC (MUSC), Lenoir-Rhyne Columbia, UNC-Chapel Hill, and Winston-Salem State University (WSSU)
Interviews: ECU, MUSC (declined)
Accepted: ECU (accepted!!!), LR Columbia (declined)
Waitlisted:
Denied:
UNC

I wish everyone the best of luck with their applications! If anyone is applying to any of the same schools, please reach out, because I would love to talk and work through this with other applicants!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I applied to 13 programs (both masters and doctorate) in the Long Island, NYC, RI, CT, NJ area, basically everywhere within a few hours from Long Island. I got accepted to Yeshiva in the Bronx so far but no where else yet. Have an interview at Johnson and Wales in November. Stony Brook is my dream school but haven't heard anything from them. Has anyone been invited to interview at Stony Brook?

And has anyone heard back from Hofstra yet? I interviewed on September 25th and was told I would hear back in a few weeks (it's been 2 already).

Good luck everyone!!
Just applied to Johnson and Wales too! How long did it take for them to reach out with an interview??

University: Texas A&M University
Major: Nutrition (BS) - lots of science classes and science-based classes
GPA: 3.36
Pre-req GPA: 3.75
Volunteer: Volunteered at a multitude of places throughout college from animal shelters to a sexual assault center; other than that I worked 20-30 hours all throughout college
Extracurriculars: Was in a women's organization, a pre-OT society in which held a position at one point, and a nutrition society
Shadowing: Over 1000 hours of shadowing in pediatrics (some inpatient and some outpatient) and a lot of previous experiences in medical/therapeutic settings such as working at a chiropractor clinic and a physical therapy clinic
GRE: 151 Verbal, 149 Quantitative, and 4 writing
Applying to: ONLY Texas (North Texas): University of Saint Augustine - Dallas Spring start and Baylor University

I have interviewed and been accepted to both only a week and 2 weeks after submitting my app

P.S. St. Augustine's deadline passed for the Spring and Summer but they said that isn't a firm deadline. They are still accepting applicants for the Spring and Summer past the deadline from what I last heard
Do they have a summer Dallas program?

Just applied to Johnson and Wales too! How long did it take for them to reach out with an interview??
That’s awesome! I submitted my applications on July 19th and got asked to interview on September 28th. Hope this helps, good luck!

This is my first time applying. Here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.82 (last 60 units) Human/Child Development
Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
GRE: V: 147 Q: 143 AWA: 4.0 ...... horrible, was planning on retaking and then COVID happened and I noticed schools are not counting the GRE this year. So hopefully I have a shot!
Volunteer: 80 hours at an OT led sensory processing disorder camp
20 hours private social learning/OT clinic

Work Experience: 1 year front desk at outpatient pediatric sports medicine clinic
3 years as the rehab aide at UCSF Oakland Childrens hospital (inpatient/outpatient)
Certifications: Certified yoga teacher 200 hours
Letters of Rec: One from the OT I worked with as inpatient rehab aide, one from my OT manager at UCSF, one from the OT I volunteered with at camp, one from my professor in undergrad
Schools applied to: CSUDH, SJSU

I think my stats looks ok but my GRE is so bad!! I'm really hoping they don't take that into account this year as they are saying, but who knows. Otherwise most of my experience is as the rehab aide at Children's. I talked a lot about what I learned in my personal statement.
Good luck to everyone!

Hi! I wanted feedback regarding my stats and application. I’m worried about my hours since I decided the OT route at the end of my 1st year and then COVID hit my 2nd year. I am graduating a year early so I won’t have that extra year to build my application. Honestly, my 2nd year is the only year that has substance. Be brutally honest!

University: Michigan State University
Major: Kinesiology
Cognate: Cognitive and Motor Neuroscience
Overall GPA: 3.95
GPA for 60 credits: 3.95
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9-4.0

GRE:
  • Verbal: 153
  • Quantitative: 157
  • Writing: 4.5
Extracurriculars:
  • Nursery Attendant - 1.5 years
  • Babysitter for two boys with ASD - 5 years
  • Research Assistant in a Human Development & Family Studies lab - 2.5 years
  • Research Assistant in a Kinesiology lab - 2 years
  • ULA for Introductory Physiology - 1 year
  • Orientation Leader - 1 summer
  • 51 hours in Outpatient Rehab
  • Member of Pre-PT/OT Club - 2 years
  • Member of Special Olympics - 2 years
  • Member of Students for St. Baldricks - 2 years
  • Direct Support Professional at Brain Injury Rehab - 297 hours and growing :)
Letters of Recommendations:
  • Physiology Professor
  • Research Supervisor
  • Outpatient OT
  • Nursery Employer
Applied: Belmont, JWU, Chatham, St. Catherine, Toledo, University of Kansas, Western Michigan, Boston University
Interviews: Belmont, JWU, Chatham, KU, BU, WMU
Acceptances: Belmont, JWU, Chatham, KU, Toledo, St. Catherine, BU, WMU
Denied:

I'm going to BU!

Last edited:
A few of my schools do not meet to discuss admissions until after the new year, and I'm wondering if anyone knows something about updating your transcripts (I am taking classes this fall)? One of them requires an OTCAS update and said the application will show as incomplete for a few days while OTCAS verifies, but I do not want other schools to think I withdrew my application or it to show up that I turned it in later. Help!

Also, NYU is not on OTCAS but does anyone know if they want you to update transcripts if you take courses in fall? Thank you all so much!

When did you apply? I applied at the end of August and I haven't heard anything yet.

It was two interviews! One with faculty which was a phone call & another with admissions which was a video call :)
Hey, I have an interview at Salus next week. Do you mind sharing what they asked and what to prepare for particularly? How did the phone interview go?

Hey everyone! I applied to 13 programs (both masters and doctorate) in the Long Island, NYC, RI, CT, NJ area, basically everywhere within a few hours from Long Island. I got accepted to Yeshiva in the Bronx so far but no where else yet. Have an interview at Johnson and Wales in November. Stony Brook is my dream school but haven't heard anything from them. Has anyone been invited to interview at Stony Brook?

And has anyone heard back from Hofstra yet? I interviewed on September 25th and was told I would hear back in a few weeks (it's been 2 already).

Good luck everyone!!

Hi!! I am still waiting for the response from Hofstra University as well. I think I was told I will hear back in two weeks. After the interview, they emailed me that I will hear back from them soon. I wish they replied all candidates if they accept us or not....
I did not know that Yeshiva University has the OT program. Maybe I will go to check it out.

Thank you for the information.

Last edited:
Hi!! I am still waiting for the response from Hofstra University as well. I think I was told I will hear back in two weeks. After the interview, they emailed me that I will hear back from them soon. I wish they replied all candidates if they accept us or not....
I did not know that Yeshiva University has the OT program. Maybe I will go to check it.

Thank yo for the information.

Do you know if Hofstra is strict when it comes to GPA? Like they want very high GPA'S? my prereqs are higher than my gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if Hofstra is strict when it comes to GPA? Like they want very high GPA'S? my prereqs are higher than my gpa
I'm not sure what your GPA is but I got accepted into Hofstra and my overall GPA was only a 3.45! Idk if that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I wanted feedback regarding my stats and application. I’m worried about my hours since I decided the OT route at the end of my 1st year and then COVID hit my 2nd year. I am graduating a year early so I won’t have that extra year to build my application. Honestly, my 2nd year is the only year that has substance. Be brutally honest!

GRE:
Extracurriculars:
  • Research Assistant in a Human Development & Family Studies lab - 2 years
  • Research Assistant in a Kinesiology lab - 1.5 years
  • Member of Pre-PT/OT Club - 1 year
  • Member of Special Olympics - 1 year
  • Member of Students for St. Baldricks - 1 year
  • Physiology Professor
  • Research Supervisor
  • Outpatient OT
  • Nursery Employer
Potential Schools:
  • Belmont University
  • Johnson & Wales University
  • Chatham University
  • St. Catherine’s University
  • University of Toledo
  • Western Michigan University
  • University of Minnesota
  • University of Kansas
  • I know it’s a lot of schools, and I might add more. I am graduating a year early and wanted to maximize my chances! If anyone has any suggestions of where to apply, please let me know!

Applied: Belmont, JWU, Chatham, St. Catherine, Toledo
Interviews: JWU (11/20) and Chatham (11/14)
Acceptances:
Denied:

I got accepted at JWU

Hi everyone! I applied last cycle so just wanted to put my info out there Incase anyone had any questions or wanted a mentor-type friend! When I was going through this process it was so draining and I wish I would have known someone.

Feel free to reach out :)

Schools I applied to: Stanbridge (Irvine, CA), USC (Los Angeles, CA), Elmhurst University (Elmhurst, IL), UIC (Chicago, IL). Was accepted to all of them and ended up committing to Elmhurst University.

My classes don’t start until Aug 31, so if anyone needs me to read over personal statements let me know :)
Hi! Out of curiosity, when did you hear from UIC? I submitted my application back in the fall, and they seem to have a vague timeline of when they send out emails. Thank you!

Hi! Out of curiosity, when did you hear from UIC? I submitted my application back in the fall, and they seem to have a vague timeline of when they send out emails. Thank you!

Hi!! I know, their application timeline was very unclear. I heard back in March :)

Hi everyone! I’m Nikki and I graduated with my B.S. in community health education from Mansfield University. My prereq GPA is a 3.8. I applied to Stockton’s grad program for 2021 and interview in February. I graduated with honors, was named outstanding senior of the year in the health department and was secretary for my community health education club. I was part of my University’s soccer team for three years. I also coach children’s soccer during the summer and spring season. I am so hopefully to get into Stockton’s OT program because I love everything about the program. Good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone!

I truly do not think anyone will have a lower GPA than I do, haha. Below are my stats, I welcome any constructive cristicism!

University: College of Staten Island
Major: Psychology, minor in Chinese
GPA: 3.04 (upward trend since Junior year)
Pre-req GPA: 3.83+ (depending on the school)
Volunteer:
37.5 hours- School OT / 63 hours- Summer camp for children with special needs / 41.5 hours- hand therapy / enrolled in 2 Pre-OT programs (one which provides a certificate and second approves for 10 volunteer hours)
Volunteer etc: Provided finance advisement for domestic abused survivors in a community mental health
Work experience: School secretary in a English Language Learning students Transfer HS / ABA Therapist / PT & OT Aide in an outpatient clinic (total of 3 years)
GRE: N/A; hoping to take it once they allow in person testing
Applying to: Loma Linda University, West Coast University, Dominican University of California, and D'youville College! Once I take my GRE, I will look to apply to USC and USAHS.

Good luck to everyone! Looking at your stats, I do not doubt any of you will not get into a program!. I'm happy to connect with anyone on a personal level so we can go through this together. :)
Did you hear anything back the schools you applied?

If anyone needs help or have any questions please feel free to message anytime. Even if you aren't planning to apply to the same schools I did, I hope to be able to provide tips and tricks so that you don't have to deal with any unforseen circumstances that could be prevented. Since school hasn't started yet, have lots of time on my hands.

Below are the schools I applied. I will be attending San Jose State. Declined UNE interview because I was accepted to USAHS already. I was accepted by the rest of the schools except UW.

Applied: UW, Stanbridge, USAHS San Marcos, San Jose State, University of New England (UNE)
Hello, did you have high GPA?

Sure thing! Below are my stats. Hope this helps and good luck! If you have any more questions let me know or message me! :)

San Jose State

One thing I really loved about SJSU is they take the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units is considered which significantly helped me more as my GPA freshman and soph year were terrible. Not to mention that have really clear instructions on what they require. As long as you follow it you should be good. I think it is beneficial to attend one of their info sessions. I am not going to lie the application process is challenging as there are so many parts to it. Since it is rolling admissions, I think its in your best interest to have everything ready before October and make sure the packet arrives at their office 10/1 as they review applications by time stamp of when they receive it.

Also, for letter of recommendations (on OTCAS), as they also require another 2 from other OTs completed separately and mailed in with your packet, make sure you have a professor (academic) source besides an OT writing you one. As they require it, I almost did not get accepted as I did not have one. Since I have been out of school for so long, I was fortunate enough to have my ceramics professor write one (I took the class recently) in such a time crunch. With COVID outbreak however, I am sure things have changed so check the updates they have and the links below!

Link:Application Information and Criteria for Acceptance | Department of Occupational Therapy | San Jose State University
COVID Updates: Prospective Student Advising | Department of Occupational Therapy | San Jose State University

USAHS

I really loved the campus to be quite honest with you the atmosphere is great! I ultimately did not go with them as tuition was way too high. So for the most part their applications for Summer (which was the session I applied to) was due on 10/15 so I just submitted through OTCAS and they were just really simple. I think you can also apply through their website and the app is free, but to make it more convenient for my recommenders I decided to just use OTCAS. I got an interview invite a week after I submitted my apps and the interview was in November. I got my acceptance letter a week after the interview and a phone call from the academic advisor. For the most part, everything was just really relaxing and chill. The people there were incredibly helpful. If you have question with whether your pre-reqs are good or if you have any concerns talk to them. I applied for MOT program but I believe they have OTD as well.

Link: Master of Occupational Therapy (MOT) Graduate Degree Program | USAHS (If you request info, I believe someone will reach out to you.)

UW

As this is my second time applying here, it was a tough pill to swallow. UW is my first choice but they only have 25 seats and they had 600 applicants. I believe it was my GRE score and my GPA? Or it could also be my volunteer hours... not sure that I got rejected. But for the most part they don't require much besides an OTCAS application and they have a separate prompt on the app you have to answer so in a way they require a OTCAS statement and a UW MOT statement. Out of all the schools I applied they probably required the least amount of requirements.

Link: Apply | Division of Occupational Therapy

University: UC Irvine
Major: Public Health Sciences
Minor: Accounting
Overall GPA: 3.38 (according to OTCAS this is including Post Bac)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.71-3.80 Depending on School
GRE: V: 155 Q: 149 W: 4 (Not my strong suit)

Volunteer Hours
-80 Research Lab (Shadowing OT)
-100 Neurofeedback Tech (During Undergrad Practicum)
-121 Pediatric Clinic
-25 Animal Assisted Therapy
-112 Hand Therapy Clinic
Your stats look great! :)

GRE:
Extracurriculars:
  • Research Assistant in a Human Development & Family Studies lab - 2 years
  • Research Assistant in a Kinesiology lab - 1.5 years
  • Member of Pre-PT/OT Club - 1 year
  • Member of Special Olympics - 1 year
  • Member of Students for St. Baldricks - 1 year
  • Physiology Professor
  • Research Supervisor
  • Outpatient OT
  • Nursery Employer
Potential Schools:
  • Belmont University
  • Johnson & Wales University
  • Chatham University
  • St. Catherine’s University
  • University of Toledo
  • Western Michigan University
  • University of Minnesota
  • University of Kansas
  • I know it’s a lot of schools, and I might add more. I am graduating a year early and wanted to maximize my chances! If anyone has any suggestions of where to apply, please let me know!

Applied: Belmont, JWU, Chatham, St. Catherine, Toledo, University of Kansas, Western Michigan, Boston University
Interviews: Belmont, JWU, Chatham, KU, BU
Acceptances: Belmont, JWU, Chatham, KU, Toledo
Denied:
Have you decided on the school to go yet?

University: Ave Maria University
Major: Psychology
Minor: Exercise Physiology
Overall GPA: 3.17 (3.52 last 60 w/ an upward trend)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6+ (depending on the school)
GRE: taking August 5th (only needed for 2 schools)
Extra-Curric: Founder & captain of my university dance team (3 years), class representative Student Government Association (1 year), Biology research assistant (1 semester), Mother Theresa Project Scholar (4 years)/ Mother Theresa Project leadership team (1 year), cheerleader (2 years)
Work Experience: ABA Behavioral Health Technician, Waitress, Babysitter
OT Hours: 77 hours in pediatrics & hand therapy (wanted to get more this summer, but COVID)
Applying to: Grand Valley State University (MI), Gwynedd Mercy University (PA), Wesley College (DE), Walsh University (OH) & Eastern Michigan University (MI)
Interview: Walsh University (OH) 11/20
Acceptance: Walsh University (OH) 12/3

I know my GPA isn't the best but I have a lot of leadership experience / direct therapy hours from my ABA job and I am hoping that helps
Did you hear back ?

Just wanted to put in my stats. I know when I started poking around this forum I got super discouraged because everyone's cumulative GPA was so much higher than mine. But I got into my first choice! So I just wanted to post so other people in a similar position to me don't give up!

University: Lewis and Clark College
Major: Psychology and Performance Theater (Graduated in 2012)
Overall GPA: 2.74 - after going back to school to do prereqs and retake some classes I got my cummulative GPA up to a 3.0
Pre-Req GPA: Between a 3.6-3.8
GRE: I chose not to apply to programs that required the GRE.
Extra-Curric: I graduated a while ago, so none.
Work Experience: I've been working in the food industry mostly as a baker for the last 9 years. I started working on OT prerequisites 3 years ago. The last 2 years I have been working as a job coach in a return to work bakery for folks with brain injuries.
OT Hours: 50+ in pediatrics, gerontology, rehab, brain injury, chronic pain
Applying to: I'm all done! So I'll break it down. :) I applied all over the place because my bf is also applying to grad programs, so we were trying to see if we could get into programs near each other, but it didn't really work.
Accepted: Pacific University (going!) and Bay Path
Waitlisted: UW (Seattle), Brenau
Rejected: EWU, Puget Sound
Still haven't heard back: Davenport, Salus, Thomas Jefferson (I applied kinda late for Salus and Thomas Jefferson, so I don't really expect to get in to them)

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to put in my stats. I know when I started poking around this forum I got super discouraged because everyone's cumulative GPA was so much higher than mine. But I got into my first choice! So I just wanted to post so other people in a similar position to me don't give up!

Overall GPA: 2.74 - after going back to school to do prereqs and retake some classes I got my cummulative GPA up to a 3.0
Work Experience: I've been working in the food industry mostly as a baker for the last 9 years. I started working on OT prerequisites 3 years ago. The last 2 years I have been working as a job coach in a return to work bakery for folks with brain injuries.
Applying to: I'm all done! So I'll break it down. :) I applied all over the place because my bf is also applying to grad programs, so we were trying to see if we could get into programs near each other, but it didn't really work.
Still haven't heard back: Davenport, Salus, Thomas Jefferson (I applied kinda late for Salus and Thomas Jefferson, so I don't really expect to get in to them)
Thanks for the encouragement! Best of luck on your OT journey. Do you recommend reaching out to the schools you haven't heard anything from for an update?

Thanks for the encouragement! Best of luck on your OT journey. Do you recommend reaching out to the schools you haven't heard anything from for an update?
Thank you!! You too!
I didn’t reach out to any programs, I really don’t know how much it helps once you’re waiting to hear back. I did email Pacific a bit while I was working on my application and I was rejected last year from them so I asked how I could improve my application for this year before I applied.

Omg I went to LC too! Awesome to see someone else from Lewis and Clark going into OT. :)

Thank you!! You too!
I didn’t reach out to any programs, I really don’t know how much it helps once you’re waiting to hear back. I did email Pacific a bit while I was working on my application and I was rejected last year from them so I asked how I could improve my application for this year before I applied.
When did you ask them? I also want to ask how I can improve my application.

Thank you!!

When did you ask them? I also want to ask how I can improve my application.

Thank you!!
When I got my rejection letter last year, I emailed them immediately and asked how I could improve for next year. I ended up talking to the admissions director on the phone at the end of the summer and was given some good pointers on how to make my application stronger. :)

When I got my rejection letter last year, I emailed them immediately and asked how I could improve for next year. I ended up talking to the admissions director on the phone at the end of the summer and was given some good pointers on how to make my application stronger. :)
That is great. Actually, I also asked about it at a college, but they have never replied me back. So, I think you are lucky!!!!

Did you ever hear back from Salus?

Hi! I applied back in fall for the 2022 cycle on OTCAS. I’m looking to see if anyone has heard anything back from NC programs, particularly from WSSU. They said they’d let us know around Valentine’s Day and I’m just getting more anxious by the day. Thanks!