2020-2021 Allergy-Immunology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am but conversely there are a couple programs I’d rather not rank. I’m just hoping 10 or more is enough ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would breathe easy if I had 10 to rank!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been contacted by programs at this point stating that they are very interested and/or ranked to match? I know this is happening in other specialities, but unclear if this is the norm in AI?

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone been contacted by programs at this point stating that they are very interested and/or ranked to match? I know this is happening in other specialities, but unclear if this is the norm in AI?

I have only received vague messages saying things like "we enjoyed meeting you, we think you would be happy at our program", without giving any specific commitment about ranking me to match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at a program last year that told me something like I was a "top choice" for them and "highly ranked" or some BS. Turns out the PD told all the applicants that I interviewed with that day the same thing. It came up in conversation and then we all realized what they'd told us. I ranked them dead last (because I'd still go to any A/I fellowship over being a hospitalist or PCP for a year). It just felt very sleazy. I wouldn't put any stock into those types of comments. Rank programs how you like them for whatever reasons are important to you.

Does the absence of any post-interview communication from programs mean anything? Do programs usually reply emails of applicants who they are ranking highly?

I interviewed at a program last year that told me something like I was a "top choice" for them and "highly ranked" or some BS. Turns out the PD told all the applicants that I interviewed with that day the same thing. It came up in conversation and then we all realized what they'd told us. I ranked them dead last (because I'd still go to any A/I fellowship over being a hospitalist or PCP for a year). It just felt very sleazy. I wouldn't put any stock into those types of comments. Rank programs how you like them for whatever reasons are important to you.

I think I know which program you are talking about ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Does the absence of any post-interview communication from programs mean anything? Do programs usually reply emails of applicants who they are ranking highly?

No. Post interview communication is super restricted by the NRMP so many people (including myself) won't respond at all even to applicant thank you emails.

Last edited:
No. Post interview communication is super restricted by the NRMP so many people (including myself) won't respond at all even to applicant thank you emails.
Would you say an email to your number one pick would have an effect on ranking even if programs are unable to answer back?

I think I know which program you are talking about ;)
Can you give me a hint? Maybe which state the program is in? I obviously want to avoid that program, but have no idea which program this is.

Would you say an email to your number one pick would have an effect on ranking even if programs are unable to answer back?

Nope, it doesn't mean anything to us. Lots of people email stating that they're ranking programs number 1, but they mysteriously don't match there. Programs are going to rank who they want number 1 regardless.

Does anyone know when the programs’ ROL is due?

Don't forget to certify your rank order list by 9pm tonight (ET)! Hope everyone matches to their choice of program...Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget to certify your rank order list by 9pm tonight (ET)! Hope everyone matches to their choice of program...Fingers crossed!
You're awesome! Such a heart for others. Best of luck to you.

I can’t believe I am saying this, but with this year being so exceptional, I feel that it is going to be a long time until Dec 2nd...
Good luck everyone

Reactions: 1 users
I hope everyone got their choice!
Unfortunately I was not lucky and didn’t match :(

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations to all those who matched! For those who didn’t- keep working on your dream! -- grit, persistence and courage are the keys! I am an IMG, trained at a community program and I matched at my #1 University program! Had been dreaming about this day for some time now :)
I had above average steps scores, did extra year in research post residency, published a lot and had strong LORs.

“Enthusiasm is common, endurance is rare”- Angela Duckworth, Grit.

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to all those who matched! For those who didn’t- keep working on your dream! -- grit, persistence and courage are the keys! I am an IMG, trained at a community program and I matched at my #1 University program! Had been dreaming about this day for some time now :)
I had above average steps scores, did extra year in research post residency, published a lot and had strong LORs.

Hi CD3! I'm a similar applicant who didn't make it this year. Would it be kosher to DM you for advice?

Many Many Congratulations!! I am glad that all your hard work paid off. I am also one of the IMG with good number of interviews however still did not match. I am seeking your advice. Please advise if I could contact you!

Hi CD3! I'm a similar applicant who didn't make it this year. Would it be kosher to DM you for advice?

Many Many Congratulations!! I am glad that all your hard work paid off. I am also one of the IMG with good number of interviews however still did not match. I am seeking your advice. Please advise if I could contact you!
Would be happy to help. Please DM me for any questions.

Would be happy to help. Please DM me for any questions.

I appreciate it, however for some reason I am unable to DM you. I think account is limited. Will you be able to DM me.

I was thinking the thread would be flooded with match success stories by now! It’s been so quiet so I’ll put in my 2¢.

AMG, Low step 1, Above average step 2/3. Minimal research, (A couple of case reports presented as posters over and over plus 1 review article, several “research experiences“ that went nowhere). IM trained at a small academic program without an allergy division. I managed to get strong letters from well known people in the field. Several allergy related extracurriculars.

Applied to 29, interviewed at 14, ranked 12 and matched #6. I was in a lucky enough position to really love all of the programs in my top seven so I’m still totally thrilled with my match!

Best of luck to everyone applying next year and congratulations to those who matched this year :)

Hey everyone! Congratulations to those who matched and wishing all those who didn't the absolute best in their careers! I think this was an extremely competitive year. There were 196 applicants who ranked A/I programs with 145 of the 146 spots filled (only 75% of people matched). Crazy!

I'm an AMG and was very fortunate to have above average Step 1, 2, and 3 scores, good research, be from a well-known IM program, and have fantastic faculty support from my institution.

I applied to 30 programs, received 27 interview invites, did 15-ish interviews, matched at #2 on my list. My top 3 were interchangeable (had a hard time deciding), and I'm convinced my #2 was the best program overall for my future happiness and career goals, so very excited to match there!

Happy to talk with anyone interested in hearing my experiences with programs and help any future applicants! Please message me if you'd like to chat.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! Congratulations to those who matched and wishing all those who didn't the absolute best in their careers! I think this was an extremely competitive year. There were 196 applicants who ranked A/I programs with 145 of the 146 spots filled (only 75% of people matched). Crazy!
What’s typical for A/I?

A/I also filled with 76% U.S. MD grads. I believe that's the highest of all the major medical subspecialties. That adds to the competitiveness of the field. We had some great applicants this year and I know of some really strong applicants that went unmatched. This year was very atypical because of the virtual platform. Programs were able to conduct more interviews and applicants were able to interview at more places. Ultimately, it seems to have favored the programs more than the applicants.

Hi there! Congrats to all who matched and if you did not, keep at it! AI is a great field.
I am an AMG MD/PhD (immunology PhD), at a top pediatrics residency. My letters were from 2 AI faculty and 1 continuity clinic attending. Applied to 16 top programs, received and completed interviews with 15 across the country.

I ultimately ranked the 3 programs in Boston I applied to as my top 3, because my family just grew (just had a little girl) and we have strong family ties to the area. I matched at my #2, which was the place with the division chief I liked the most, and faculty that seemed to focus on work/life balance.

It is a new adventure to me, as it is an adult hospital, but I had a fair amount of pediatric AI during residency and I feel that adult-heavy training will make me a more marketable doctor ultimately.

I will likely still push to work mostly with children after training, but perhaps I have a change of heart working with adults! I ranked the programs based on location first and foremost. I had many great programs I had to rank lower but would have been ecstatic to match into. I feel lucky to have matched at all in such a competitive year.

I am happy to give more details if we want to
leave reviews for next year’s applicants of the programs, or simply message me if you want to know my impression of interviews.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone else! Just my 2 cents since last year's post was helpful for me!
I'm an AMG MD at a mid-tier academic program. 2 AI and 1 clinic LORs. Average Step Scores, handful of posters, and an ongoing project.
I applied to way too many programs, got almost 20 interviews, interviewed at about 15, and matched at the top of my list! Definitely my fit given my goal of becoming a community allergist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I will chime in too –
Congrats to everyone! It's going to be a fantastic 2 (or 3) years ahead.

I am an AMG MD at a large mid-tier IM program with an in-house AI position. I had three letters in total: (1 PD, 1 IM, 1 AI). Above average to high step scores. 8 publications (mostly non-AI) as well as a poster (AAAAI) / ongoing project.
I applied to 40 programs, got 20+ interviews, and did 18. I ranked all 18 and dropped to my #4, but, for the most part, 1-5 were interchangeable, and I was lucky to break into a chill yet prestigious program in a great city.

I took detailed notes on my what I found important in programs for everywhere - namely scheduling, fellow happiness, didactic quality, faculty approachability, etc. Please feel free to reach out.

Congrats to everyone who matched! I luckily matched this year and am happy to answer any questions. Please feel free to DM me!

I'm a DO in an IM program without an in-house AI fellowship. I got involved in several research projects with a neighboring hospital and managed to get a few publications in. I interviewed at ~10 programs, matched at #3 - extremely happy with my match!

Congrats to everyone who matched! I luckily matched this year and am happy to answer any questions. Please feel free to DM me!

I'm a DO in an IM program without an in-house AI fellowship. I got involved in several research projects with a neighboring hospital and managed to get a few publications in. I interviewed at ~10 programs, matched at #3 - extremely happy with my match!

I’ll be applying next year and also a DO applicant in a program without an in house AI fellowship. May I DM you for questions? Many thanks

The NRMP data does not show the full picture, as it only shows match statistics for candidates who registered with NRMP (ie attended interviews). There might be few candidates who applied in ERAS and never got an invite. I took ERAS application submitted data and NRMP match data to show a more clear picture.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Cardiology
Total Applications 1780; Total Positions 1045 (58.5%); Unfilled positions 3
USMD 689; matched 549 (79.6%)
DO 204; matched 103 (50.5%)
IMG 887; matched 389 (43.8%)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. GI
Total Applications 1034; Total Positions 590 (57%); Unfilled positions 6
USMD 436; matched 352 (80.7%)
DO 139; matched 66 (47.5%)
IMG 459; matched 166 (36%)

3. Hematology-Oncology
Total Applications 1009; Total positions 638 (63.2%); Unfilled positions 0
USMD 412; matched 336 (81.5%)
DO 92; matched 64 (69.5%)
IMG 505; matched 237 (58.3%)

4. Pulmonary-Critical Care
Total Applications 1357; Total positions 657 (48.4%); Unfilled positions 2
USMD 461; matched 323 (70%)
DO 228; matched 92 (40.3%)
IMG 668; matched 240 (35.9%)

5. Allergy (both IM and Peds)
Total Applications 222; Total positions 146 (65.8%); Unfilled positions 1
USMD 132; matched 110 (83.3%)
DO 20; matched 9 (45%)
IMG 68; matched 26 (38%)

6. Rheumatology
Total applicants 412; Total Positions 257 (62.4%) Unfilled 7
USMD 126; matched 106 (84%)
DO 71; matched 50 (70.4%)
IMG 215; matched 94 (43.7%)

*NRMP provides separate data for US-IMG and FMG but ERAS data only has IMG, hence NRMP US-IMG and Foreign is shown together as IMG
Here's the data for DOs for AI and other subspecialties. It is pretty competitive with a 45% match rate. Less competitive than Pulm Crit (40%). Even more competitive than Cards and GI (51 and 48%).

Congratulations on everyone that matched and that going through this process!! For those that matched, what do you think were the most important factors that programs were looking for?

I'm a PGY-1 at a program without an in house A/I program, and was planning to do aways. I was wondering if others in similar situations have experiences with how many aways they did and for how many weeks? Thank you!

My experience as an applicant and as a current fellow are:

There are many programs that use the same old metrics to grant interviews, ie step 1, step 2, AOA, etc. I do get the impression that it results in the same group of programs interviewing the same group of applicants.

Once you have the interview, it's all about making people like you and remember you. Really solid letters help candidates stand out. Scores and stuff still matter but once they're above a certain threshold, its all kind of the same. Trying to rank 20 interviewees where a good number of them have high scores and good credentials is hard. It really helps if you connect with someone...same hometown, same hobbies, things like that. Home field advantage is huge. A decent in house applicant that was well liked is likely to out compete a bunch of excellent applicants. Doing a rotation at an institution also helps you be more of a known commodity.

A/I is a small community with small fellowships, typically 1-3 fellows in a given year, and usually a small number of attendings. You have to like the people you work with.

Congratulations on everyone that matched and that going through this process!! For those that matched, what do you think were the most important factors that programs were looking for?

I'm a PGY-1 at a program without an in house A/I program, and was planning to do aways. I was wondering if others in similar situations have experiences with how many aways they did and for how many weeks? Thank you!
I agree 100% with the above post by hotsaws. I did 19 virtual interviews, and I saw the same pool of people over and over again. I didn't do any aways; I doubt anyone this cycle was able to. I considered doing some this year, but then COVID happened. I think they would be helpful.

To me, research was a huge thing the programs wanted to talk about; every single one of them. After that, my letters seemed to be something mentioned multiple times. 2 of my top 3 programs were amongst the few programs that seemed to be actively recruiting me (they were on the opposite side of the country); I think they recognized my sincere interest in the programs. I definitely connected with the interviewers there. I spoke with faculty at both of those programs after the interview day to get more information about the programs. And yes, programs will take someone from their home institution before anyone else. I think showing your enthusiasm and interest and how you'd be a good fit in their program can go a LONG way. Happy to discuss with any future applicants! Feel free to DM me.

Job market is absolutely wrecked for allergy. Interesting to see how the job search goes for future grads.

source: spouse still unemployed since graduating. all her job offers were rescinded back in March when pandemic began. Had contacted these practices If they would seek to hire again and all of them said nope, since patient demand has not seen a rebound anywhere close to precovid levels

will suck if we have to move to another state for her to get a job

I wanted to address this post above because it stressed me out earlier this year when I started to apply to jobs as a 2nd year Allergy fellow. Job opportunities have definitely improved compared to earlier in 2020 and I am currently lucky enough to be signing on with my dream job. In addition, I have received interviews/offers in major cities across the country - specifically NYC, Chicago (downtown) and san diego. All cities I described have job openings at this time. Times are difficult and you may not find your perfect job but there are opportunities out there. I have found that this is true not just for Allergy but for all IM subspecialities (based on anecdotal stories) and I'm assuming across the board with all specialties.

Please contact me directly if you have specific questions. Goodluck to anyone interested in Allergy; I have no regrets going into this amazing field even during this global pandemic :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I also matched this year. DM if you want any advice, I definitely believe in paying it forward :) AMG, IM, above average Step 1, 2, and 3 scores, at a respected program w solid training but not at a top tier institution by any means. No AI program at my residency. Hustled early and often to get experience and research which felt like sprinting a marathon at times. But I am glad I did, bc who could have predicted the pandemic and virtual interviews?? Applied to 40, interviewed at 17, matched at my # 4. Happy and grateful to have matched!

Last edited: