Army 2019 Army 4-Year HPSP Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick Question: Would a 'use of marijuana' charge that was expunged and may probably not show up on a record (no fingerprints were taken) be automatically disbarring?

I will voluntarily disclose it to my recruiter.

Members don't see this ad.

My recruiter actually gave me several copies of other candidates who received a scholarship to give me an idea. I included reasons I want to serve, but also any sort of leadership experiences I've had and how that will help me in the army.

Unrelated note, I just spoke with my recruiter and it appeared to the people that push the app through that I was on the OML list instead of board selected. So now they will finally be pushing me through and getting the waiver cleared so I can commission. He said my application was in this black hole status and it wasn't until he was inquiring with someone quite a bit higher up that they noticed it. A bit annoying, but quite relieving since I was getting a little worried that it was taking so long.

what exactly do you mean by this? I am having a similar issue right now. I was told that I was board selected according to a 'memo' and now that he checked the computer system, I am on the OML. I'm not sure if it was a glitch or something, but maybe it is an issue with several people right now?

Not actually sure. One of the recruiters from the office met with some people higher up and specifically asked about my file and what was going on. That is when he realized I wasn't supposed to be with the OML applications and would work to push it through. My recruiter thinks I should be good to commission in about 10-14 days. Again that is what I understood though the details may not be exact. I emailed my recruiter about 10 days ago and never got a response. Then called him today to get that update.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not actually sure. One of the recruiters from the office met with some people higher up and specifically asked about my file and what was going on. That is when he realized I wasn't supposed to be with the OML applications and would work to push it through. My recruiter thinks I should be good to commission in about 10-14 days. Again that is what I understood though the details may not be exact. I emailed my recruiter about 10 days ago and never got a response. Then called him today to get that update.

Thank you for the update. Hopefully everything is cleared out soon! Best of luck with everything.

Can someone fill me in on whether or not the Army will reimburse you for health insurance while you are in school? If so, how is this done? Thanks

FYI guys, just talked with my recruiter. scholarships are "open" again. he said a bunch of people declined the scholarship so they're giving out more. Check with your recruiter. I talked to the recruiter near the d school i'll be attending as well as the one near me.

FYI guys, just talked with my recruiter. scholarships are "open" again. he said a bunch of people declined the scholarship so they're giving out more. Check with your recruiter. I talked to the recruiter near the d school i'll be attending as well as the one near me.

Does this mean that everyone on the OML got one?

No... But it does mean some people on OML will get one

I don't understand the process then- I thought the whole point of the OML was to act as a "Waitlist" for people who the board found competitive (hence the "Order of MERIT list") but for whom there were no scholarships left. If they're opening up more scholarships, shouldn't they give them first to the people who applied early, and were deemed qualified by the board already (hence they are on the OML) than someone who started the process late?

Disclaimer- Not an applicant this year; just trying to learn how the process works.

I don't understand the process then- I thought the whole point of the OML was to act as a "Waitlist" for people who the board found competitive (hence the "Order of MERIT list") but for whom there were no scholarships left. If they're opening up more scholarships, shouldn't they give them first to the people who applied early, and were deemed qualified by the board already (hence they are on the OML) than someone who started the process late?

Disclaimer- Not an applicant this year; just trying to learn how the process works.
That is how the OML; it's a ranked waitlist. But by no means does " bunch of people declined the scholarship so they're giving out more" equate to "everyone on the OML got one". The number of people on the OML is likely longer than the number of people who declined the scholarship.

Reactions: 1 user
The number of people on the OML is likely longer than the number of people who declined the scholarship.
Exactly, so why are they re-opening the application I think the question is. My app is getting processed now, so I'm happy about it. I also just don't understand why

Exactly, so why are they re-opening the application I think the question is. My app is getting processed now, so I'm happy about it. I also just don't understand why
I don't know if scholarships are open in the sense that the army is accepting more applicant for the 2014-2015 cycle or if it means they're simply working on the applicants they already have. My guess is that the army isn't accepting completely new applicants for 2014-2015 but i could be wrong. Regardless, even for dental schools, it is not uncommon for them to invite more people for interviews despite already having established a long wait list.

predent54 if you're already working with a recruiter, your best option is to ask him what it means.

I was told they are for sure pulling from the OML as the board has already met in may for the last time.

quick question...how long did it take for you records to be received from your recruiter, as indicated on "student status" the MODS site.

Thanks!

**2019 HPSP Recipients ...

Can someone help clarify the 45 active duty pay for me? I am a first year on the Army HPSP. I heard from some D2 and D3's that they get a increased stipend for 1.5 months every year even including their first year as active duty pay. They got this increased stipend even while in school without having to attend an Army facility. Our HPSP contract even states that we are supposed to receive an increased stipend during the annual 45 days. Anyone have any answers or heard anything???

You're mixing apples and oranges. Once again, stipend is NOT PAY. Stipend is a scholarship benefit. It's purpose is to pay for your education. You receive stipend for 10 1/2 months/year. The other 45 days you receive active duty pay as a 0-1 (second lieutenant or ensign). This 45 days is called Active Duty for Training (ADT). If the finance office does it's job correctly, you should never receive both stipend and active duty pay at the same time.

Because most dental schools have an academic schedule that prohibits being away from school for an extended time (3 weeks minimum), the ADT is performed at school. Meaning that nothing changes, you don't have to wear a uniform, you attend classes as usual or take a short summer break and get paid active duty pay rather than stipend.