***2019-2020 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now i feel good applying to 30 schools
I also did 30 schools because I didn’t want to risk reapplication. It was of course overkill, and with all my interviews it cost $10k. Overall, I do not regret it, but i definitely could have gotten away with 25 or even 20 schools. It definitely made applying reach schools more comfortable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I also did 30 schools because I didn’t want to risk reapplication. It was of course overkill, and with all my interviews it cost $10k. Overall, I do not regret it, but i definitely could have gotten away with 25 or even 20 schools. It definitely made applying reach schools more comfortable.

I'm also considering a neighborhood of 25-30 (27?) schools for essentially the same reason. Not to be arrogant, but I have a decent application and don't doubt I'll get in somewhere. I could likely get away with just the 20 FAP has given me. (Really, not humblebragging. I have a point to be made, context.)
Edit:My assumption is based off of prior AAMC data putting my chances at 93.7-100% for my cohort.)

I don't want to be left with the "what if" feelings, since the last few schools are purely reach. I also want to maximize the ability for scholarship/location. Though I've already mentally committed myself to a school if I got in, assuming no/low scholarships or other counfounders.

My question to @LadyGlen @TempuraOreos @Wahkoon are your top 3 choices (Or the school you chose to matriculate to) schools you would have -definitely- kept on your list should you have chosen to cut them down? Or were they more "I just shot my shot" schools because you had the cushion from having extra schools to include them?

Last edited:
I'm also considering a neighborhood of 25-30 (27?) schools for essentially the same reason. Not to be arrogant, but I have a decent application and don't doubt I'll get in somewhere. I could likely get away with just the 20 FAP has given me. (Really, not humblebragging. I have a point to be made, context.)

I don't want to be left with the "what if" feelings, since the last few schools are purely reach. I also want to maximize the ability for scholarship/location. Though I've already mentally committed myself to a school if I got in, assuming no/low scholarships or other counfounders.

My question to @LadyGlen @TempuraOreos @Wahkoon are your top 3 choices (Or the school you chose to matriculate to) schools you would have -definitely- kept on your list should you have chosen to cut them down? Or were they more "I just shot my shot" schools because you had the cushion from having extra schools to include them?
2 of my top 3, and the school I am matriculating to, were schools that I added after I finished my list. I almost didn’t apply to my school because I figured it was too much of a reach – I actually held onto their secondary for over 2 months. Very happy that I applied to those extra schools and took a chance. It’s definitely more exhausting, but if you have the time and money to ensure that you don’t burn yourself out, then it is worth it IMO.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I didn't really come in with a top choice that I was really hoping to get into. I had some I thought I'd be a good fit for based on my interests.

Honestly, my top 3 weren't even on my original school list. If it weren't for people on here, encouraging me to aim high, wouldn't have even considered them. Even afterwards, they weren't even in my original 16 schools from FAP. Took out a credit card to apply to most of the T20 that I applied to so definitely consider them "shoot my shot" in a sense. I'm happy I did, but definitely would have been too risk averse otherwise to do so if it weren't for the feedback I got here.

Thank you for your candor!

risk averse

I want to hone in on this specific part of your comment. Loss aversion bias is massive in cognitive psychology and takes its toll on most everything we do. While yes, you may lose an extra 2-4k applying to a few extra schools, which is a significant sum of money for many including myself, you easily made that back with scholarship offers and "happiness" from your top choice offers.

Wishing everyone the best of luck though!

RE-APPLICANT(CHANCE ME)

Major:
Neuroscience
State of Residence: NH
cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.68
Mcat: 511-->512---> 3rd retake July 19th (Been scoring 520+ in my FLs)
URM: AA male, FAP
Clinical Experience
Volunteer: 320 hrs in Ghana
Remote Area Medical Volunteering -- 30 hours
Shadowing
OB/GYN: 40 hrs
General Surgeon: 50 hrs
Family Medecine: 50 hrs
Non-Clinical Volunteering
200 hours - Self-Started Club for Local Volunteering
60 hours - Global Healths Brigade
100 hours - Mentally challenged Individuals and Geriatics
90 hours - Orphanage
Research
1000+ hours- Nanomaterials Laboratory (Publication early August/Late September)
ECs
Vice-Captain of Soccer Team--1.5 years
French Club -- 2 years
My Clothing Line -- 6 years
Diversity Club (Exec Member) -- 2 years
Student Muslim Association(No exec) -- 2 years
Science Tutor -- 2 years
Worked at my school's bookstore - 1 year

School list (in no particular order):
UNC- Chapel Hill
Emory University
Indiana University
University of Wisconsin-Madison
University of Maryland
University of Iowa
University of Minnesota
George Washington University
University of Miami
Albany Medical College
University of Conneticut
University of Utah

Im hesitant in encouraging a retake but if you are certain go ahead
RE-APPLICANT(CHANCE ME)

Major:
Neuroscience
Clinical Experience
Shadowing
90 hours - Orphanage
Research
ECs
French Club -- 2 years
Science Tutor -- 2 years

UNC- Chapel Hill
Emory University
Indiana University
University of Maryland
University of Iowa
University of Minnesota
University of Miami
Albany Medical College
University of Conneticut
University of Utah

RE-APPLICANT(CHANCE ME)

Major:
Neuroscience
Clinical Experience
Shadowing
90 hours - Orphanage
Research
ECs
French Club -- 2 years
Science Tutor -- 2 years

UNC- Chapel Hill
Emory University
Indiana University
University of Maryland
University of Iowa
University of Minnesota
University of Miami
Albany Medical College
University of Conneticut
University of Utah

1. What did you do in your gap year(s) that makes your application better? (Basically what is different from your prior application, highlight it)
2. Assuming you had them, where did you interview the first time?
3. What was your original school list?
4. When were you complete? (I.e were you late?)
5. Did you turn down an acceptance...?

I ask these questions because if you haven't made any major changes, your stats and overall application is good enough to matriculate. So I'm trying to figure out where you went wrong the first time.

Edit:My assumption is based off of prior AAMC data putting my chances at 93.7-100% for my cohort.)

For me, yes. But I really wanted to stay in California and would have applied to all CA schools regardless of stats. I’m most likely matriculating at UCSF, which was the UC I thought I had the least chance of getting into, so there’s that.

Honestly though, shoot your shot. If you have the money and the time to write quality secondaries, do it. No regrets. In hindsight, I could have applied to only CA schools, saved a lot of money, and ended up with an amazing cycle, but there was no way to know that going in.

1. What did you do in your gap year(s) that makes your application better? (Basically what is different from your prior application, highlight it)
2. Assuming you had them, where did you interview the first time?
3. What was your original school list?
4. When were you complete? (I.e were you late?)
5. Did you turn down an acceptance...?

I ask these questions because if you haven't made any major changes, your stats and overall application is good enough to matriculate. So I'm trying to figure out where you went wrong the first time.
¸1. Completed my senior year of college, did research which would get published, did some volunteering over christmas + spring break and would be retaking the MCAT
2. 1 II @ Pennstate--> WL
3. NYU, PennState
4. Sent my letters late september. Completed at most schools mid-late october
5. Still sitting on my 1 WL

Im hesitant in encouraging a retake but if you are certain go ahead
I was planning on applying to these schools ASAP and get completed by Early-Mid July. Taking my MCAT mid-July and getting scores back mid August, then sending secondaries to 10 other schools(didn't decide yet) with median MCAT 517+ if all fairs well so as to get completed everywhere by end of August.

¸1. Completed my senior year of college, did research which would get published, did some volunteering over christmas + spring break and would be retaking the MCAT
3. NYU, PennState
You only applied to 2 schools, one of which resulted in a WL? The issue isn’t your MCAT – a retake isn’t necessary.

Thank you for your candor!

I want to hone in on this specific part of your comment. Loss aversion bias is massive in cognitive psychology and takes its toll on most everything we do. While yes, you may lose an extra 2-4k applying to a few extra schools, which is a significant sum of money for many including myself, you easily made that back with scholarship offers and "happiness" from your top choice offers.

Wishing everyone the best of luck though!
Sure. Try to be as forthcoming as possible with things like this.

The risk aversion I felt definitely came from a lack of self-confidence and tons of imposter syndrome. Definitely went in thinking those top 10s and 20s would basically be looking at all the Ivy leagues kids who got like 3.9+/520+ and like 1000s of hours of research, volunteering, and ECs. Turns out I was very wrong. Yes a lot did come from Ivys, but I met people that weren't. It was very humanizing and humbling.

Sidenote: **For any who receives FAP benefits, most schools will actually waive secondary fees automatically including any additional schools after your original free ones on AMCAS. Unless schools changed their policy, this should still be the case. **

Knowing this made me less worried about those T20s because less money was being shelled over to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
RE-APPLICANT(CHANCE ME)

Major:
Neuroscience
Clinical Experience
Shadowing
90 hours - Orphanage
Research
ECs
French Club -- 2 years
Science Tutor -- 2 years

UNC- Chapel Hill
Emory University
Indiana University
University of Maryland
University of Iowa
University of Minnesota
University of Miami
Albany Medical College
University of Conneticut
University of Utah
Did you just get FAP benefits this year? They last for two cycles if I'm not mistaken. If so, capitalize on the free schools you get. Also if you haven't, look at the MSAR. FAP benefits should also give you free/discounted access to other things like the MSAR, AAMC testing materials, etc. Your mistake was only applying to two schools. Imo you have an interesting app. Look carefully at you new school list, especially at any public OOS schools. Check to see how many OOS students they interview vs accept. Many public schools will have evident bias towards their own students, own residents, or those who have strong ties to that state (i.e. having a partner/SO and/or family members living there). So keep that in mind and consider replacing any that seem to fit the bill.

I used this during my cycle to help with figuring out schools that we're OOS friendly (it might be a little outdated though since new MSAR data is available but the percentages should still be similar):

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know what happened to puahate? He was literally here yesterday asking for advice and now I see he got his membership revoked.

3. NYU, PennState

You only applied to 2 schools? Did you consult anyone on this? That is a very bad idea no matter how good of an applicant you are. Especially since you basically only applied to 1 school. Your NYU application was essentially a throwaway since you have a -very- low MCAT/GPA by their standards. (Stat-hungry)

As another poster pointed out, your problem was not your stats. You do not need to retake the MCAT, especially since you already have 2 scores in the same area. If you feel absolutely confident you can hit about 518 and want to spend that time, it is your life. However, you have a 3.7 and a 511/12 MCAT, and great ECs. It is not unheard of for a URM to matriculate into a T20 with those stats which is why I think you are wasting your time.

Your main problem was your school list. Make use of your 20 applications from FAP. A smarter idea would be to create a great school list now, apply early, and if you still feel like you need to put in another MCAT score (which, again, I advise against but your life/time) take it in August or September. Also be sure you are not applying to state schools which accept few OOS.

@Faha - What do you think his school list should be?

I apologize for my late response. I worked all weekend and was knocking out MCAT studying. The only break I had was to see Avengers (3 hrs, jesus.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You only applied to 2 schools? Did you consult anyone on this? That is a very bad idea no matter how good of an applicant you are. Especially since you basically only applied to 1 school. Your NYU application was essentially a throwaway since you have a -very- low MCAT/GPA by their standards. (Stat-hungry)

As another poster pointed out, your problem was not your stats. You do not need to retake the MCAT, especially since you already have 2 scores in the same area. If you feel absolutely confident you can hit about 518 and want to spend that time, it is your life. However, you have a 3.7 and a 511/12 MCAT, and great ECs. It is not unheard of for a URM to matriculate into a T20 with those stats which is why I think you are wasting your time.

Your main problem was your school list. Make use of your 20 applications from FAP. A smarter idea would be to create a great school list now, apply early, and if you still feel like you need to put in another MCAT score (which, again, I advise against but your life/time) take it in August or September. Also be sure you are not applying to state schools which accept few OOS.

@Faha - What do you think his school list should be? (I will remove your stats after, just wanted to make it easier for them to find your info)

Major: Neuroscience
Clinical Experience
Shadowing
90 hours - Orphanage
Research
ECs
French Club -- 2 years
Science Tutor -- 2 years

UNC- Chapel Hill
Emory University
Indiana University
University of Maryland
University of Iowa
University of Minnesota
University of Miami
Albany Medical College
University of Conneticut
University of Utah

I apologize for my late response. I worked all weekend and was knocking out MCAT studying. The only break I had was to see Avengers (3 hrs, jesus.)
I suggest these schools with those stats:
Dartmouth
Tufts
Boston University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Einstein
Albany
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Miami
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Tulane
Creighton
Indiana
You do not need to retake the MCAT. An AA male with your MCAT and GPA is competitive for all the schools I listed.

Thanks all for your input. As @Dream of the Endless mentioned, I might not have to retake the Mcat but I feel like I could retake and score a 520+(practice exam so far no full time study) mainly because my second retake reflects that I have peaked at 512 which isn't the case. I was planning on applying to the schools I mentioned then adding higher schools depending on my new mcat. My advisor told me I would be fine applying to 3 schools max so I just applied to my undergrad's medical school + NYU cuz free $$$. In hindsight, I should have applied to more. @Faha, thanks for the school list. What could I substitute for Morehouse, Meharry,Howard ?

@Th3_Dr34m Do not re-take the exam, it would be an act of hubris.

I have a lower GPA than you, a marginally higher MCAT, and I got into a top 20. I am also URM.

Pick and choose from the list that Faha gave, throw in a reach or two. You should have a good cycle (if you apply wisely). I think NYU would be a donation, but hey, I also applied. The psychology of an applicant is different than the psychology of a matriculant, that's for sure.

I applied to almost 40 schools this past cycle. It was overkill. I had to turn down interviews...if there's any advice I would have given myself, it would have been to only apply to schools in locations where I could really see myself living. There were some schools where I interviewed, that I truly had no interest in attending, but I was so desperate that I went on the interview anyways. But then you get invited to interview at a school you really want to go to in late September (at which point, I had already been on six or seven interviews), and you're like "S--t, I already have five other interviews scheduled, now I can't go to this one until December".

My point being -- you will get a lot of interviews with your stats if you pick your schools wisely.

So yeah, fellow URMs, you are highly desired. I would say apply to 25 schools MAX if you're stats are around 3.5 GPA, 510~513 MCAT, and decent ECs. Of course your personal statement and secondaries must be well written. I applied to too many schools. I am afraid to calculate how much it cost. Probably greater than 10k. In hindsight, there were several top 20s that I should not have applied to based off of location alone, and there were several schools in non-urban areas where my stats fit, but I didn't really like the location. I applied out of fear and paranoia of not getting in, something that was totally unfounded.

So yeah, good luck, you got this!

Reactions: 3 users
@ArdorAyurveda what does act of hubris mean ? lol. If you don't mind, can you write our your school list along with yours stats+ECs. I have my school list above, what other schools do you think I should add? As previously mentioned, I was going to take the MCAT pretty late(July 13th) to add some other reach schools buit all this feedback suggests that I shouldn't do it. I though I was perfect for pernnwstate since my MCAT was in their median and my GPA was .2 below their average but it wasn't to be hence why I am trying to boost my application. Once again, thanks to you all for your advice. I regret not joining sdn last year because most people told me it was full of negativity.

I had pretty average stats all around so I compensated for this by applying to multiple schools, ultimately returning about 25 secondaries.

In the end I received 9 II and had to turn a few down and I am very excited to be matriculating to my Top choice from my own selection of schools.

The point is that your stats do matter but it’s also just as important to have diverse life experiences and to know how to report on those other aspects of your app.

Good luck everyone :)

Last edited:
@ArdorAyurveda what does act of hubris mean ? lol. If you don't mind, can you write our your school list along with yours stats+ECs. I have my school list above, what other schools do you think I should add? As previously mentioned, I was going to take the MCAT pretty late(July 13th) to add some other reach schools buit all this feedback suggests that I shouldn't do it. I though I was perfect for pernnwstate since my MCAT was in their median and my GPA was .2 below their average but it wasn't to be hence why I am trying to boost my application. Once again, thanks to you all for your advice. I regret not joining sdn last year because most people told me it was full of negativity.
Hey buddy, Faha has already given you a great list of schools to which you may choose to apply. From the list that Faha provided, pick some school in locations that you are really excited about. From there, you should use MSAR to see which schools you are within the 10th-90th percentile for GPA/MCAT. My subscription ran out, so I can't tell you exactly what those schools will be, but you have to use your GPA and MCAT to come up with a list. I am keeping my stats + list to myself for anonymity.

I don't think you should re-take your MCAT, you would be better off making sure that your personal statement is free of grammar errors, pre-writing your secondaries, and communicating with your recommendation letter writers to upload their letters on time. The primary application is now open for the 2019-2020 school year, your best bet is to be complete as early as possible and that your application is polished. Re-taking the MCAT would be a waste of money and a poor use of time.

Hubris means "excessive pride". In other words, I am saying it is not in your best interest to marginally increase your odds of getting into a top 20 because you are already qualified to get into one! And, there are plenty of things that could go wrong on test day -- what if by some fluke, you get a 508? That would not be a good look on your application.

Basically, you could probably get into 1 T20, you're definitely good enough to get into other schools, and re-taking the MCAT is expensive and could potentially worsen your application if you don't get a great score. AND you'll be a re-applicant, so I really think that taking the MCAT is playing with fire here. Listen to the advice here and don't do it.

Th3_Dr34m said:
UNC- Chapel Hill
Emory University
Indiana University
University of Maryland
University of Iowa
University of Minnesota

University of Miami
Albany Medical College
University of Conneticut
University of Utah

You should not be applying to state schools as an OOS applicant. The private schools with a mission to address healthcare disparities in underserved populations are your best bet. Again, use MSAR and plug in your stats to populate a list of schools where you are close to the median. From there, pick and choose schools that are in locations that you like or have some factor that you like. Do your own research by going to the school's webpage, check out what kind of research the faculty is doing, read the mission of the school, etc.

Good luck!

Hey buddy, Faha has already given you a great list of schools to which you may choose to apply. From the list that Faha provided, pick some school in locations that you are really excited about. From there, you should use MSAR to see which schools you are within the 10th-90th percentile for GPA/MCAT. My subscription ran out, so I can't tell you exactly what those schools will be, but you have to use your GPA and MCAT to come up with a list. I am keeping my stats + list to myself for anonymity.

I don't think you should re-take your MCAT, you would be better off making sure that your personal statement is free of grammar errors, pre-writing your secondaries, and communicating with your recommendation letter writers to upload their letters on time. The primary application is now open for the 2019-2020 school year, your best bet is to be complete as early as possible and that your application is polished. Re-taking the MCAT would be a waste of money and a poor use of time.

Hubris means "excessive pride". In other words, I am saying it is not in your best interest to marginally increase your odds of getting into a top 20 because you are already qualified to get into one! And, there are plenty of things that could go wrong on test day -- what if by some fluke, you get a 508? That would not be a good look on your application.

Basically, you could probably get into 1 T20, you're definitely good enough to get into other schools, and re-taking the MCAT is expensive and could potentially worsen your application if you don't get a great score. AND you'll be a re-applicant, so I really think that taking the MCAT is playing with fire here. Listen to the advice here and don't do it.

You should not be applying to state schools as an OOS applicant. The private schools with a mission to address healthcare disparities in underserved populations are your best bet. Again, use MSAR and plug in your stats to populate a list of schools where you are close to the median. From there, pick and choose schools that are in locations that you like or have some factor that you like. Do your own research by going to the school's webpage, check out what kind of research the faculty is doing, read the mission of the school, etc.

Good luck!
Thank you!

cGPA: 3.89
sGPA: 3.87
Mcat: 512
URM: AA female
Clinical Experience
Volunteer: 50 hrs at rural clinic; 60 hrs at HIV clinic
Paid: 550 hrs as PCT for Emergency Room
Shadowing
Pediatrics: 20 hr
Neurology: 20 hr
Internal Medicine: 20 hrs
250 hours - homeless women's shelter
75 hours - tax preparer for low income families
60 hours - mentoring disadvantaged children going through emotional and familial stress
Research
600 hours - Clinical HIV lab
(1 thesis, 1 first author publication in review, 2 mid author publications, and 2 first author posters)
150 hours - Clinical Osteoarthritis Lab
Leadership
200 hrs - President of Community Service Club (started health education outreach program for underprivileged girls and their mothers during my time as president)
Non-Clinical Work
1200 hrs - Student assistant for Biobanking lab
Other ECs
60 hours - Mental health peer educator
Hobbies: Drawing and Martial arts (I don’t have an awards or done anything extraordinary with these. Just things I do in my free time)
Aspirations in Medicine
I want to work with underserved/underrepresented in medicine and pursue some clinical research on improving minority health. I am looking for schools that provide both research and clinical experience in the community.

Schools I am interested in:
UAB, USA, Morehouse, Meharry, Emory, and UChicago(super reach)

I need recommendations for schools to apply to with my stats.

Edit: I had a drop in GPA due to senior year.

As the application opens for editing, I wanted final opinions on my school list. I know I should aim high but I want second opinions as we start the cycle. Any recommendations for my list would be very helpful!

UAB
USA
Morehouse
Meharry
Howard
Temple
Miami
Wake Forest
Einstein
Emory
Case Western
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburgh
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Vanderbilt
UCLA-Drew
UCLA-Geffen

Background: AA Female, non trad, non-science major, top 10 school

GPA: cGPA: 3.63ish, sGPA: 3.42

MCAT: 511 (127/126/128/130)

Clinical volunteering: 2200 hr

Nonclinical volunteering: 300ish hours

Research: 1000 + hours

Looking for school list advice and advice on my chances. My Ecs are very strong , but feel a little low on stats.

State? Mind giving us a brief summary of the ECs?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but when is the latest you can submit while being in the first cohort of verified applications?

I am rounding out the final drafts of my personal statement, and I am trying to give myself enough time to perfect it. If I were to submit around June 15, would I be verified closer to June 30 or mid July?

Please help!! So about a month ago I posted on here to get you guys' opinion on whether or not I should try applying this upcoming cycle. Although I got positive responses, I was thinking of applying for 2021 instead. I have been getting conflicting responses from people about my decision. My reasoning is that I will continue at my current research lab and possibly get a poster or a paper, both of which I don't currently have. I can also increase my clinical hrs from 200 to possibly in the 400-500 if I really dedicate my time to it. I can also gain US shadowing hrs and work on other weak spots in my app. Plus, I'm still only 21 and graduated from school this December, so i don't think it's really wasting time, but rather trying to use different opportunities to uplift my app and also grow in the process. I'm also aiming for a T10-20 school, thus I think this other year will really help me out. Based on my app below, do you think I should continue on and apply or do you think my reasoning for this other gap year + glide year good enough?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge me!

URM (African American) Biochemistry major -> graduated in December 2018 a semester early

Numbers:

3.83cgpa/ 3.74sgpa, 517 mcat

Research:

• 960 hrs of clinical research that i started this past January and counted hrs until when I plan on applying which is June 20 ( one of my rec writers can’t have letter ready till then)
Leadership:

• one year pre-med club executive board,
  • another year as secretary of a big extracurricular group and
  • also a year and a half of student government
Non-Clinical Volunteering:

• Service project that I initiated that deals with girls' education: 500hrs+
  • Summer healthcare administration internship at a med school 300hrs
  • Ongoing healthcare administration volunteer position ( 3 yrs of this work is done online and the other 2 in high school...because I did high school in a different country I had to move to the US for college.)
  • Volunteered at a church for two yrs (online) 120hrs
  • ACT tutor for a year
Work

• worked all throughout undergrad ( 10-15 hrs a week)
Shadowing:

• 150hrs of shadowing done all in a diff country
  • Might add 10-30 hrs before applying.
Clinical volunteering:

• 200hrs of hospice
You guys will notice that some of my activities are linked to a different country ( not disclosing for privacy reasons). I grew up in this country and it has really contributed to my desire to pursue med. Also for those wondering, I'm not an international student.. I'm a permanent resident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooh, here comes this thread! Can't believe it's finally time...

URM: Hispanic female
cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.59
MCAT: 519
Major: History
ECs: 1000+ clinical hours including Spanish medical interpretation, scribe, hospice, shadowing, volunteering clubs...editor for some stuff...etc!
Research: 1.5 years science and 0.5 years non-science, no pubs!!

I'm having trouble finding schools that are in the range for both my MCAT and GPA, so my school list consists of about 30 schools all across the range, from T20s to 70's. I've got no clue how much being URM helps in the process, and that makes it kind of tough to choose schools!! My "reasonable" dream schools are Sinai and Einstein so far. Maybe even Weill-Cornell, if I'm feeling extra confident. Would love to study in NY!

BTW I also noticed on MSAR that UPenn takes an unusually large Hispanic %, so if any of yall wanna shoot your shot at a T5... ;)

• Love
Please help!! So about a month ago I posted on here to get you guys' opinion on whether or not I should try applying this upcoming cycle...

Your stats and ECs look really, really good!! If you feel up to it, I think you're definitely ready to apply this cycle. It all depends on whether you wanna take an extra year for yourself or not, and whether you can give a solid explanation about what you did in the time after graduating.

A few things to note -
1. I see that you wanted to apply on June 20th because of a letter writer- I'm actually almost sure you can submit your primary app without all the rec letters being submitted yet. I would highly recommend it, since the consensus seems to be that earlier is better! It can take a long time for your app to be verified, and that's the "rate-limiting" step, so to speak. So if you do apply, submit that app asap when submission opens May 30th ;) the letters can come later!

2. Emphasize that you worked throughout undergrad - that is VERY impressive, especially with your stats

It's really up to you when you apply - extra year definitely won't hurt, but it's not strictly necessary. Good luck!!

Please help!! So about a month ago I posted on here to get you guys' opinion on whether or not I should try applying this upcoming cycle. Although I got positive responses, I was thinking of applying for 2021 instead. I have been getting conflicting responses from people about my decision. My reasoning is that I will continue at my current research lab and possibly get a poster or a paper, both of which I don't currently have. I can also increase my clinical hrs from 200 to possibly in the 400-500 if I really dedicate my time to it. I can also gain US shadowing hrs and work on other weak spots in my app. Plus, I'm still only 21 and graduated from school this December, so i don't think it's really wasting time, but rather trying to use different opportunities to uplift my app and also grow in the process. I'm also aiming for a T10-20 school, thus I think this other year will really help me out. Based on my app below, do you think I should continue on and apply or do you think my reasoning for this other gap year + glide year good enough?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge me!

URM (African American) Biochemistry major -> graduated in December 2018 a semester early

Numbers:

Research:

• 960 hrs of clinical research that i started this past January and counted hrs until when I plan on applying which is June 20 ( one of my rec writers can’t have letter ready till then)
Leadership:

• Ongoing healthcare administration volunteer position ( 3 yrs of this work is done online and the other 2 in high school...because I did high school in a different country I had to move to the US for college.)
  • ACT tutor for a year
Work

Shadowing:

Clinical volunteering:

• 200hrs of hospice
You guys will notice that some of my activities are linked to a different country ( not disclosing for privacy reasons). I grew up in this country and it has really contributed to my desire to pursue med. Also for those wondering, I'm not an international student.. I'm a permanent resident.
Agreed, I really really don’t think you need to take a gap year to be competitive at T10 schools. Now, if you want to take the year for personal growth and rest before starting on this journey, I think it could be great! But if it’s just about being competitive, I’d say you are competitive everywhere. The time to decide is now though, especially to make sure your app and essays are polished to submit as early as possible.

Judge me!

Numbers:

Research:

Leadership:

• ACT tutor for a year
Work

Shadowing:

Clinical volunteering:

• 200hrs of hospice
Honestly, from what you have, you are good if you want to apply this year. I don't think an extra year of volunteering is really going to make a huge difference since you already have done more than most applicants.

However, if having a gap year is more important and will help calm your fears about the process, then take it.

Congrats on all you have achieved, and I know you will do well in whatever you decide.

Just my 2 cents

Ooooh, here comes this thread! Can't believe it's finally time...

URM: Hispanic female
cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.59
MCAT: 519
Major: History
ECs: 1000+ clinical hours including Spanish medical interpretation, scribe, hospice, shadowing, volunteering clubs...editor for some stuff...etc!
Research: 1.5 years science and 0.5 years non-science, no pubs!!

I'm having trouble finding schools that are in the range for both my MCAT and GPA, so my school list consists of about 30 schools all across the range, from T20s to 70's. I've got no clue how much being URM helps in the process, and that makes it kind of tough to choose schools!! My "reasonable" dream schools are Sinai and Einstein so far. Maybe even Weill-Cornell, if I'm feeling extra confident. Would love to study in NY!

BTW I also noticed on MSAR that UPenn takes an unusually large Hispanic %, so if any of yall wanna shoot your shot at a T5... ;)

I am not an Adcom, so please take my words with a grain of salt. From what I have seen and from the people I have talked to, you do have a shot at T20.

However, this process is so unpredictable that I would stick with your original approach. Have a variety of schools on your list that you like to attend. No school is a safety, but you do want to have your state schools and schools that match your stats.

The rest of your list can be the T20 schools. Since I haven't completed this process, I can't speak on how much of a "boost" being a URM has. For my application, I am skeptical of it's effect, so my list is much more conservative because my stats are below most T20 schools. Your MCAT and ECs are exactly what these schools want, so I kInow it will open more doors for you. If you want to aim high, you should.

• Love
Sorry if this has already been answered, but when is the latest you can submit while being in the first cohort of verified applications?

I am rounding out the final drafts of my personal statement, and I am trying to give myself enough time to perfect it. If I were to submit around June 15, would I be verified closer to June 30 or mid July?

If this next cycle goes like ours did then second week of June is probably latest to be verified by July 1. However, you don’t need to be in the first cohort of verified apps — if you can be, great! If not, it’s not a big deal as long as you are complete everywhere by August.

Reactions: 2 users
If this next cycle goes like ours did then second week of June is probably latest to be verified by July 1. However, you don’t need to be in the first cohort of verified apps — if you can be, great! If not, it’s not a big deal as long as you are complete everywhere by August.
Thanks for the reply!

Yo, anyone have info on the Worrall mayo scholars program? Just got an email for it and wanna see if its legit/or just something they send to all URMs

[/QUOTE]
You may be better submitting your application in late July when your CC science grades are available. If your sGPA is above 3.0 it will help your chances. Add more shadowing hours (30) if possible. I suggest these schools with your current stats:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
New York Medical College
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
Loma Linda
Also apply to at least 12 DO schools and consider these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)

Last edited:
Hello I am applying this cycle, Would anyone out there be able to provide feedback to my personal statement? Thanks so much in advance!

FAP applicant here. My stats aren't all that great and will probably only land me any love from DO schools, so I'm conflicted because I feel kind of obligated to at least apply to the max number of MD schools I can given that it's free. Especially since I just learned that now it's 20 as opposed to 16 when I first got approved. So far I have 11 on my list, I can't seem to find any more that I'd have a shot at or would care much for. Does anyone recommend more that I should look into? Or should I stick with what I have/make any changes? Am I crazy for thinking that it would be a waste to not utilize the 20 guaranteed apps? Sparknotes of my stats:
AA female, VA, first gen
cGPA: 3.0
sGPA: 2.85 i think
current SMP GPA: 4.0, still have a year left
MCAT: 504
Plenty of hours of shadowing, non-clinical & clinical volunteering, research, paid clinical experience, leadership, other EC's etc. If you want me to elaborate I can but I have at least 50 hours in each so I'm not too concerned about looking "well-rounded" so to speak, my concern is just if they'll think I'm stupid lol (which, given the work I've been putting into my SMP, I can assure you I am nOT)
And here's my MD list:
VCU
Eastern Virginia
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Tulane
Kaiser
Cooper Medical School of Rowan U
George Washington
NYMC
Emory
*Note - I am applying DO btw but I'm just asking about MDs with FAP

Last edited:
FAP applicant here. My stats aren't all that great and will probably only land me any love from DO schools, so I'm conflicted because I feel kind of obligated to at least apply to the max number of MD schools I can given that it's free. Especially since I just learned that now it's 20 as opposed to 16 when I first got approved. So far I have 11 on my list, I can't seem to find any more that I'd have a shot at or would care much for. Does anyone recommend more that I should look into? Or should I stick with what I have/make any changes? Am I crazy for thinking that it would be a waste to not utilize the 20 guaranteed apps? Sparknotes of my stats:
AA female, VA, first gen
cGPA: 3.0
sGPA: 2.85 i think
current SMP GPA: 4.0, still have a year left
MCAT: 504
Plenty of hours of shadowing, non-clinical & clinical volunteering, research, paid clinical experience, leadership, other EC's etc. If you want me to elaborate I can but I have at least 50 hours in each so I'm not too concerned about looking "well-rounded" so to speak, my concern is just if they'll think I'm stupid lol (which, given the work I've been putting into my SMP, I can assure you I am nOT)
And here's my MD list:
VCU
Eastern Virginia
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Tulane
Kaiser
Cooper Medical School of Rowan U
George Washington
NYMC
Emory
*Note - I am applying DO btw but I'm just asking about MDs with FAPt

Congrats on your GPA in the SMP! That undergrad science GPA and MCAT is low though, so it will hinder your chances at MDs and some DOs. Do you know what your combined GPA is with the SMP?

Since you have the FAP, I think you should try some MDs (I don't think you should use all 20). If you have bandwidth to apply to that many schools, then try. It's free, so take a chance. However, recognize that your chances at MDs are low and don't let the quality of your DO applications falter.

I would take off Emory, Tulane, and George Washington.

Hi All :)
URM Male (Half black) applying this cycle and was wondering if any accepted students or people with experience could glance at my personal statement? I thought it was great, so did my friends, but one of my advisors wanted me to remove some things I thought were important add things I thought that weren't important (LGBT). Also I've always wanted to be a part of this thread im so excited for this cycle :)

Stats if it matters:
cGPA: 3.69
sGPA: 3.45
MCAT: 514

Edit: School List if that also matters?

Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Downstate
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Stony Brook
UCLA Geffen
USC
Miami
UCSD
USF
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson
Tufts
Georgetown/GW
Albany Medical College
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Emory
Case Western
UCF

Hi All :)
URM Male (Half black) applying this cycle and was wondering if any accepted students or people with experience could glance at my personal statement? I thought it was great, so did my friends, but one of my advisors wanted me to remove some things I thought were important add things I thought that weren't important (LGBT). Also I've always wanted to be a part of this thread im so excited for this cycle :)

Stats if it matters:
cGPA: 3.69
sGPA: 3.45
MCAT: 514

Edit: School List if that also matters?

Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Downstate
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Stony Brook
UCLA Geffen
USC
Miami
UCSD
USF
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson
Tufts
Georgetown/GW
Albany Medical College
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Emory
Case Western
UCF

I'm willing to read it. PM me.

Hi All!

First-time applicant. Ready to submit on 30MAY19. Looking for any and all feedback on my school list if you have a minute. :)
@Faha @Goro @gyngyn

AA/Mexican Female, 26
GPA (cGPA/sGPA): 3.32/ 3.2 (transferred universities under extenuating circumstances junior year, which impacted my academic performance)
Major: Biology
MCAT: 500 first attempt/ 510 second attempt
Nontraditional: Yes
Research: 1.5 years preclinical (during undergrad) with 1 poster / 4 years clinical (current position)
Healthcare Experience: I've worked full time in clinical research for 4 years/ I monitor regulatory compliance, data integrity and patient safety for various pharmaceutical companies/ have worked on indications within neurology, infectious disease, gastroenterology, virology and immunology
Clinical Hours/Non-clinical Hours: ~9000 clinical hours paid/ 800 pre-clinical hours paid/ 70 clinical hours volunteered at a VA/ 150 non-clinical hours volunteered teaching ESL and volunteering at a homeless shelter
leadership: started a student group for women of color in STEM
Additional facts: DIII track and field for one year
Shadowing hours: 50 (oncology, neurology, occupational medicine)
Aspirations in Medicine: would like to be involved in clinical research as a principal investigator later in my career
Med School Qualities: urban setting preferred, looking to stay away from rural/ strong support for URM students/ places that offer scholarships

School list

university of minnesota (state school)
university of wisconsin
medical college of wisconsin
university of colorado
LSU
howard
morehouse
meharry
tulane
tufts
drexel
temple
rosalind franklin
albany
georgetown
george washington
albert einstein
loyola
emory
miami
LSU accepts very few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Eastern Virginia
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Jefferson

Hi Everyone! Excited about this cycle, glad to see a URM thread and excited to go through this process with everyone!

cGPA: 3.47
sGPA: 3.15
Mcat: Taking June 28th
URM: AA female
Clinical Experience
Volunteer: 300 hours Hospital, 100 hours medical mission trip abroad
Paid: thousands of hours as a consenting professional
Shadowing
None yet
60-80 hrs: Taught ESL to new immigrants
~ 120 hours: Big Sister at BBBS
~250 hours: Worked to help get low-income, minority, inner-city students into college
Research
~5,000 hours
- 1 publication
- 3 poster presentations, one at ABRCMS
- Research abroad as well
- I currently do research at one of the top cancer hospitals
- NIH research
Leadership
- President of Student Government (1 year)
- Vice President of Student Government (2 years)
- Founder/President of a chapter of community-service based organization (we went abroad) (3 years)
- Founder/President of a chapter of an organization that helps minority students apply for med school (3 years)
- School Spirit Leader (2 years)
Non-Clinical Work
720 hrs - Student Fundraiser
~ 1500 hours doing research in undergrad

Hobbies:
I have played an orchestral instrument since 4th grade. I've performed at 2 really famous locations, have been in numerous orchestras, and have done a music/medicine program
- Intermediate Spanish
- I've started writing again recently. It really helps me cope with a lot of things, I feel like I want to publish a few of the things I've written, but I'm not sure if it is smart to have it associated with my name because they're a little personal

Misc:
I have a strong upward trend, taking 52 credits my final year of college and earning all A's/A-'s and one B+. I failed organic chemistry and did badly one semester because a parent developed cancer. I feel like my personal statement is strong, it is about minority health

Aspirations in Medicine
I want to work with underserved/underrepresented in medicine and pursue some clinical research on improving minority health. I am looking for schools that provide both research and clinical experience in the community. (I kept this part verbatim from the template of a previous poster because I am interested in the same thing)

M4 here - please reach out if you any of you guys have questions.

Shameless plug - Apply to Miami!

Reactions: 1 users
Hola ya'll!

M0 here, I'm procrastinating, so I would love to read and give feedback on some PSs for URM/low-SES chicos and chicas. Feel free to PM me your PS in the form of a google doc that allows people to make edits, and doesn't make people sign in!

Let me know if ya'll have any questions, gracias!

To previous applicants, would you all recommend having multiple people look at our work/activities descriptions? I had my pre-med advisor look at mine and he said they're good to go, but I'm wondering if more eyes are necessary.

I only had one person look at it and I was fine. Also, I am a very, very thorough writer so I think it was just good going in.
To previous applicants, would you all recommend having multiple people look at our work/activities descriptions? I had my pre-med advisor look at mine and he said they're good to go, but I'm wondering if more eyes are necessary.

I only had 1 person look over my application (except for PS), which I think is perfectly fine.

For work/activities descriptions, I would recommend reading through the advice threads to get an idea of what cliches to avoid (ie, beginning every description with "As a..."). From there I would have a friend read through and really focus on content. Last, I would use Grammarly to proofread for typos and syntax, then have a voice-to-text read your draft aloud to you (very useful for discovering errors and clunky language). This is the process I used for all my secondaries as well.

Reactions: 4 users