2019-2020 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone help explain the "practice settings" to me? Can I choose Physician Scientist if I'm not MSTP, but I do want to do both research and seeing patients? (it's my understanding that mstp is like 80% lab, 20% clinical and i'm looking for more of a 50-50)

I did this option and am not applying MSTP but am interested in the Berg Scholars Program. Not sure how they will interpret it but I hope it was fine to say that!

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone help explain the "practice settings" to me? Can I choose Physician Scientist if I'm not MSTP, but I do want to do both research and seeing patients? (it's my understanding that mstp is like 80% lab, 20% clinical and i'm looking for more of a 50-50)

Either version of academic medicine would have at least some research time. Clinical means you spend relatively more time in clinic; physician scientist means you spend relatively more time on research (and some places make it synonymous with MSTP). I do not believe you need a PhD to have a split that is more research/less clinic, just an academic appointment.

Reactions: 1 user
Should you indicate/not indicate interest in the Berg Scholars Program if you're applying MSTP?

Members don't see this ad :)

It’s fine. If anyone asks “why not MSTP?” then have an explanation ready for that. Many physician scientists out there without PhDs and there are many, many different types of physician scientist careers from those who never see pts, those who run private practices but also have research projects with industry, to those who design and run large clinical trials and see pts virtually full time.

Reactions: 3 users
Should you indicate/not indicate interest in the Berg Scholars Program if you're applying MSTP?

Indicate interest if you are interested in it. Know that the folks running Berg are not rly looking to be “backups” for people who want to be MD/PhDs but for those interested in the distinct training path they offer.

Reactions: 1 users
Indicate interest if you are interested in it. Know that the folks running Berg are not rly looking to be “backups” for people who want to be MD/PhDs but for those interested in the distinct training path they offer.

Hmm, I'm conflicted. I heard Dr. Utz talk at an online info session the other day, and I can see the benefits of doing something like the Berg Scholars Program. On the other hand, I think I'm more interested in just doing the MD/PhD. In a sense Berg Scholars Program is a "backup" relative to MSTP, but I am really interested in it. What do you think I should do in this scenario? I guess my concern is that this might show not enough commitment to doing 8+ years with the MD/PhD path. Thanks for the answers, @Lucca :)

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm conflicted. I hear Dr. Utz talk at an online info session the other day, and I can see the benefits of doing something like the Berg Scholars Program. On the other hand, I think I'm more interested in just doing the MD/PhD. In a sense Berg Scholars Program is a "backup" relative to MSTP, but I am really interested in it. What do you think I should do in this scenario? I guess my concern is that this might show not enough commitment to doing 8+ years with the MD/PhD path. Thanks for the answers, @Lucca :)
Hmm, I'm conflicted. I hear Dr. Utz talk at an online info session the other day, and I can see the benefits of doing something like the Berg Scholars Program. On the other hand, I think I'm more interested in just doing the MD/PhD. In a sense Berg Scholars Program is a "backup" relative to MSTP, but I am really interested in it. What do you think I should do in this scenario? I guess my concern is that this might show not enough commitment to doing 8+ years with the MD/PhD path. Thanks for the answers, @Lucca :)

I don’t think it’ll significantly impact your app in any way whatever you choose, tbh.

So, when do y’all think I should reach out about not having a secondary...? Verified 6/4, LizzyM 74.5 (81 effective), WARS (89)

Did you have an IA or anything like that which may delay?
I don't think that's it, Meme. From last year's thread, some people didn't get secondaries until August. I would just relax and wait as Stanford doesn't screen. For what it's worth, I have not received a secondary from them yet either.

I don't think that's it, Meme. From last year's thread, some people didn't get secondaries until August. I would just relax and wait as Stanford doesn't screen. For what it's worth, I have not received a secondary from them yet either.
Righteous, just weird IMHO.

Did you have an IA or anything like that which may delay?
Lmao no. high stats and spotless app. They just send these out in batches. I've received secondaries from nearly all my other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao no. high stats and spotless app. They just send these out in batches. I've received secondaries from nearly all my other schools.
Same here, the only ones I haven’t received are 3 that haven’t begun sending them out and the only 2 California schools I applied to...must just be a coinkydink.

Yeah I haven’t received anything either, which might be a good thing because now I can polish those essays. Same situation with UCSF.

Anyone applying to KH and is getting endorsed from undergrad institution?

• Haha
Same here, the only ones I haven’t received are 3 that haven’t begun sending them out and the only 2 California schools I applied to...must just be a coinkydink.

This was the last secondary I received. I want to say it was August or September. I think it turned out Ok. Just be patient.

Reactions: 2 users
We’re you verified early as well?

From what I remember, he received his secondaries the first week of the cycle (after it was sent out to schools), so he was likely verified early.

I think that you just need to wait - there's not much to do, and being worried about it isn't going to help you much more unfortunately.

From what I remember, he received his secondaries the first week of the cycle (after it was sent out to schools), so he was likely verified early.

I think that you just need to wait - there's not much to do, and being worried about it isn't going to help you much more unfortunately.
Less worried, more anxious lol I know my app is fine, just curious if the unknown.

Thank you for the encouragement and reminder to stay sane!

Anyone applying to KH and is getting endorsed from undergrad institution?
Why would you need to be endorsed by your undergrad...? I get that is a thing for the Rhodes/Marshall scholarships but I cannot imagine it would help for KH?

Why would you need to be endorsed by your undergrad...? I get that is a thing for the Rhodes/Marshall scholarships but I cannot imagine it would help for KH?

There is a process by which applicants can get a nomination from their undergraduate institution for Knight-Hennessy. It's largely unnecessary, and more people from my institution got KH without the nomination than people with it. I don't think you'll need to worry about it.

I'm not even sure. I talked to the person who usually does these endorsements at my school and they said that they're not even sure if KH values endorsements. That's kind of why I'm asking

There is a process by which applicants can get a nomination from their undergraduate institution for Knight-Hennessy. It's largely unnecessary, and more people from my institution got KH without the nomination than people with it. I don't think you'll need to worry about it.
Okay that is good to hear, because if I wanted the endorsements I would have to wait a while. I do have a question however; I have yet to write the KH application (didn't know about it until recently) and I'm not even sure how competitive I am, do you think I should just not even try KH because then I would be sending in my secondary later and risk not having a chance at the MD?

Okay that is good to hear, because if I wanted the endorsements I would have to wait a while. I do have a question however; I have yet to write the KH application (didn't know about it until recently) and I'm not even sure how competitive I am, do you think I should just not even try KH because then I would be sending in my secondary later and risk not having a chance at the MD?

How long do you think it would take you to complete KH and the Stanford secondary? Are you applying MD-PhD or just MD?

How long do you think it would take you to complete KH and the Stanford secondary? Are you applying MD-PhD or just MD?
I'm applying MD. My secondary is ready, but I have yet to start the KH application. I thought I had all summer to do it, but then I realized it needs to be submitted before the secondary :(

I'm applying MD. My secondary is ready, but I have yet to start the KH application. I thought I had all summer to do it, but then I realized it needs to be submitted before the secondary :(
If I recall correctly, KH applicants are put at the top of the secondary pile, so this may not be as much of an issue as you're thinking.

If I recall correctly, KH applicants are put at the top of the secondary pile, so this may not be as much of an issue as you're thinking.

They are put at the top of the secondary pile, but only within a certain timeframe (is what I remember from the KH admissions session). You can't negate the fact that applications that came in before yours and were already reviewed (and flagged for interviews or offered interviews). It only goes to the top of unreviewed applications, which seems like it's a very short stack most of the time (Stanford goes through their applications quite fast apparently).

For MD, I think the latest you could apply and be comfortable might be August. There are people who haven't even received their secondaries yet, and @Lucca didn't even have his secondary at this time (and he's MD-PhD, which makes the cycle a bit earlier relative to MD).

The KH application is actually really fun to fill out and gives me a lot of introspection that helped me with my future secondaries. However, it is a bit time-consuming (lots of things to fill in).

Obviously, the flip side is that getting your secondary in earliest would maximize your chances of getting into the MD program.

It's a tough choice; I don't know what I would do if I were in your position.

I've been operating under the impression that I'm too old for KH...meaning I graduated from college too long ago (early 2000's). Is the 5-year rule a hard line for KH consideration?

For MD, I think the latest you could apply and be comfortable might be August. There are people who haven't even received their secondaries yet, and @Lucca didn't even have his secondary at this time (and he's MD-PhD, which makes the cycle a bit earlier relative to MD).

The KH application is actually really fun to fill out and gives me a lot of introspection that helped me with my future secondaries. However, it is a bit time-consuming (lots of things to fill in).

Obviously, the flip side is that getting your secondary in earliest would maximize your chances of getting into the MD program.

Did you already get your KH in? I’m about to put in like 6 hours of editing after getting 4 people’s feedback....

You are definitely right, it is really fun but really time consuming.

I've been operating under the impression that I'm too old for KH...meaning I graduated from college too long ago (early 2000's). Is the 5-year rule a hard line for KH consideration?
Seems like it, yes. Bachelors after 2014 (2912 for US military)

Did you already get your KH in? I’m about to put in like 6 hours of editing after getting 4 people’s feedback....

You are definitely right, it is really fun but really time consuming.

I've submitted both KH and my Stanford secondary. My school initially told me that they wanted me to hold off for an endorsement, but they said I should wait until September to hear back from the committee. Instead of waiting that long, I just got feedback from a lot of different people and went ahead and submitted it.

Reactions: 2 users
Pfft. Do you know who Indira Ghandi was? Mikhail Gorbachev? Sally Ride? These were my heroes in college.
I am applying to Stanford, got a wonderful LOR from a Stanford alumni who is a CEO of a Biotech company and paying for my education, so no, your courses are not too old.

I would love to meet Dr Condoleeza Rice. Heard of her? LoL. She is a professor there...another hero of mine

Well, congrats on maybe being older than me, among all your other accomplishments! I was talking KH specifically.

I've submitted both KH and my Stanford secondary. My school initially told me that they wanted me to hold off for an endorsement, but they said I should wait until September to hear back from the committee. Instead of waiting that long, I just got feedback from a lot of different people and went ahead and submitted it.
Lol Must be nice having a school involved enough to even know what KH is hahahaha I am the top applicant from my school this year, but am barely middle of the road for KH and no one at my school had a clue what it is.

Hmm KH sounds like heaven to me. The multi-disciplinary aspect of it is so appealing to me since I have so many diverse interests. However, I just don't think I am competitive enough. The previous scholars' list is astonishing, and there is a past recipient who has a background identical to mine, but they have done so much on top of that. Thank you for the advice, I wish you all the luck honestly and hope to see you on the flip side.

Havent gotten a secondary yet and verified well before June 28 - how likely is it for school's emails to be deleted accidentally or gone to junk/archived?

Anyone else still waiting to get this secondary?

Reactions: 5 users
Guys the cycle is really long. Like really long. Just relax. Make sure you have school emails on the recognized senders list to avoid any tech mishaps. Try to stay off the premed sites for as long as possible until you have an II or if you have a specific question about a school. Everyone will get a secondary eventually

Reactions: 4 users
I would disagree. I have gotten so much help on my primary and secondaries here, and hope that I have helped others as well. Being able to track when people get verified, secondaries, etc. has also helped take some of the guesswork out of the waiting game for me. Had I not made an sdn account I think my app would be much worse, and I would be more nervous beyond the lower quality of my app

Reactions: 5 users
I would disagree. I have gotten so much help on my primary and secondaries here, and hope that I have helped others as well. Being able to track when people get verified, secondaries, etc. has also helped take some of the guesswork out of the waiting game for me. Had I not made an sdn account I think my app would be much worse, and I would be more nervous beyond the lower quality of my app
I agree, but after submitting secondaries and having your app marked complete, there’s no reason to be on here. Watching other people get interviews to schools you applied to, especially if they have similar apps, will drive you insane.