2019-2020 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It says it on the secondary on one of the first pages. Wasn't expecting that curveball, so it was a bit surprising when I read it. You need to enter your KH application submission number to submit the secondary if you indicate that you're applying to KH.
Oh, interesting. I have not gotten the Stanford secondary yet, so I will def be working on the KH scholarship.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a good grasp of what the Discovery Curriculum is? I just don't get it. Is it just their curriculum with a fancy name? Is it required of all students, or just some? I cannot figure this out from the website.

Does anyone have a good grasp of what the Discovery Curriculum is? I just don't get it. Is it just their curriculum with a fancy name? Is it required of all students, or just some? I cannot figure this out from the website.
It is basically just a more total “whole patient” integrated curriculum revamp

Reactions: 1 user
Yes but I think its early dayz (plus holidayz). I'm not worried. I'll be ready to submit the minute I get it.
It seems like T20 schools take their time getting secondaries out more so than the mid-upper tier schools. Not something to be worried about. Although, some schools will actually start sending invites out later next week believe it or not (at least according to last year’s charts).

So it’s basically something of a choose your own adventure curriculum. I think this page does a good job of summing it up:

Everyone has to do a scholarly concentration but how you do that, what you do, and how in depth you do it depends on you and your goals. For example, let’s say 4 different people want to do a basic science project but one does it concurrently through 4 years, one takes funding to do a research year and graduates in 5, one does a bigger project and does Berg so graduates in 6, and another does a full PhD and graduates in 7-9. Some people might get Masters in another field like Business or Public Health etc.

You also have the choice of “splitting” the curriculum (which all Berg Scholars have to do FYI). Splitting means you basically do MS2 at “half speed” by taking fewer courses each quarter but have a huge block of time (well at least 50% of full time) protected to do research, work on your Masters, work in the community, write, or do whatever it is that you wanted to do for your scholarly concentration. Splitting will mean that you will take at least 5 years to graduate but RA/Med Scholars funding will make your split years basically cost neutral with the full-time years. Slightly more than half of all students here will take more than 4 yrs to finish the MD curriculum. You only ever pay full price for 4 years, after that you pay the research rate which is like 15% in addition to whatever MedScholars, Berg, MSTP, finAid, tuition waivers or whatever stipend and benefits to make it easier to have cost neutral research years. The summer is usually also research rate. Nobody is going to stop you if you want to graduate in 4 but also this place attracts a lot of people with varied interests and sometimes opportunities just present themselves and you can’t pass them up. For example, I know there’s someone who works at Google concurrently while being a Med student.

Lol it won’t make much sense until second look (I’m still figuring things out), but I hope that was helpful

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
submitted and complete 7/7! Super excited to apply to Stanford. might be a long shot but their dedicated secondary questions about athletics + pubs give me confidence lol

I submitted a few days ago and feel similarly, but about LGBT identities + pubs.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was quite specific last year that you needed to submit your KH application in full before submitting the secondary to SMS. And I believe the deadline for the KH application was in early to mid September.

Everyone gets a secondary.

Also, if you submitted MCAT scores to SMS, and they were above 520 (I think) then SMS recommended that you consider applying for the KH. It may have been in that communication that I learned of the timing of the secondary application.

Interesting; I got the invitation to apply for KH, but I didn't receive any communication about KH needing to be submitted prior to the secondary. I'll have both submitted hopefully by tomorrow, though. I already have my plans for the video, as well.

if you submitted MCAT scores to SMS, and they were above 520 (I think) then SMS recommended that you consider applying for the KH.

I didn’t get the recommendation. But I am not eligible because my bachelors degree is too old.

After dragging my feet, finally submitted!

In the section where they ask for any publications, is there any way to indicate if we recently submitted a paper for publication (it's still pending)?

In the section where they ask for any publications, is there any way to indicate if we recently submitted a paper for publication (it's still pending)?
Nope. And they don't want updates unless you get an II too!

This is just a suggestion for folks considering applying for a KH scholarship.

IF you think you are a very strong candidate for the KH, I would consider waiting until near the KH deadline in September to submit the KH application and your SMS secondary application. Your secondary essays will get stronger over the next 6-7 weeks as you work on them and complete them. And so waiting is best. It will also provide time to refine your overall package for KH/Stanford. To my mind, and from my limited experience, there is no disadvantage in waiting.

IF you are a marginal KH candidate, I suggest bagging the KH application and submitting the Stanford secondary very soon. Because S has rolling admissions, I believe the likelihood of an II increases the earlier you apply.

Again strong KH applicants are not disadvantaged by waiting until the KH deadline, imo.

How would you generally differentiate strong vs marginal KH applicants? Do you know any KH scholars? I'm just trying to gauge if I should even bother

So I was a college athlete, rowed on the NCAA D1 crew team in undergrad. But I did not include a specific essay about it in my AMCAS because it was a long time ago and I've done a ton of other things since then. It does show up on my AMCAS in the academic record though because we had to register sports participation as a PE credit. Should I answer yes to the Stanford app question on college sports?

So I was a college athlete, rowed on the NCAA D1 crew team in undergrad. But I did not include a specific essay about it in my AMCAS because it was a long time ago and I've done a ton of other things since then. It does show up on my AMCAS in the academic record though because we had to register sports participation as a PE credit. Should I answer yes to the Stanford app question on college sports?

Yes. You participated in a college sport, so you can answer the question. It's a good chance to get to talk about it a bit, even if you don't really participate in it anymore.

Where are you seeing this question, is it part of the secondary?

Where are you seeing this question, is it part of the secondary?

Yes, I don't remember the exact wording but something like "did you include Intercollegiate Athletics in your AMCAS activities?" If yes, then an essay slot is provided.

O
Yes, I don't remember the exact wording but something like "did you include Intercollegiate Athletics in your AMCAS activities?" If yes, then an essay slot is provided.

Interesting.. its just asking you to elaborate in general, or something more specific? I included it in my primary and was going to use it the secondary prompts too...

Yes. You participated in a college sport, so you can answer the question. It's a good chance to get to talk about it a bit, even if you don't really participate in it anymore.

Even though I did not include an experience designated "Intercollegiate Athletics"? Maybe I can just explain that in the essay box.

O

Interesting.. its just asking you to elaborate in general, or something more specific? I included it in my primary and was going to use it the secondary prompts too...

It follows with:

If yes, please indicate your highest level of competition and sport.
Olympics/National team/NCAA/Other

Please list Sport(s)

For MD/PhD there is the following question: If your application is declined for MSTP consideration, would you prefer us to refer your application to the MD program for consideration of MD alone?

If I put yes, will that hurt my chances at MD PhD because it conveys lack of commitment or whatever? I want to put yes because if I get in to MD only, then I would just apply as an internal applicant to the MSTP, but what would adcoms think?

It will not hurt your chances as an applicant to either the MD or MSTP. Indeed, at Stanford the MD committee has to give the green light anyway before MSTP can consider you for acceptance

I still haven't gotten a secondary either, LM >80 so I don't think it's a stats thing? Maybe they just take their time.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope, nothing. I would say I have a rather well-rounded app too. I think they're just sending things out in the order they received primaries probably. I was verified on June 19th, maybe others were verified earlier.

Nope, nothing. I would say I have a rather well-rounded app too. I think they're just sending things out in the order they received primaries probably. I was verified on June 19th, maybe others were verified earlier.
I was verified the June 4th so I don't think it is that. And I know it isnt alphabetical (one of the recipients I know has the same initials as me) It isn't by stats....Maybe they are going by region of the country or length of application? I filled everything out and maybe they just don't want to read it lol Who knows....

Just be patient man, we'll be fine :) MSAR says they send them out to everyone.
I know lol Not worried, have an II already at one school with similar stats so I know my app is at least satisfactory.

LizzyM > 80, no IAs, and still no secondary, so I don't think it has anything to do with stats or IAs. I do laugh at myself since Stanford was one of several schools I prewrote everything for, but all of the schools I prewrote for have been amongst the last to send secondaries.

Reactions: 6 users
LizzyM > 80, no IAs, and still no secondary, so I don't think it has anything to do with stats or IAs. I do laugh at myself since Stanford was one of several schools I prewrote everything for, but all of the schools I prewrote for have been amongst the last to send secondaries.

Everyone gets one.

Can someone help explain the "practice settings" to me? Can I choose Physician Scientist if I'm not MSTP, but I do want to do both research and seeing patients? (it's my understanding that mstp is like 80% lab, 20% clinical and i'm looking for more of a 50-50)

Can someone help explain the "practice settings" to me? Can I choose Physician Scientist if I'm not MSTP, but I do want to do both research and seeing patients? (it's my understanding that mstp is like 80% lab, 20% clinical and i'm looking for more of a 50-50)
I would think you can but it raises the question of but then why are you not interested in MSTP.

I would think you can but it raises the question of but then why are you not interested in MSTP.
Would Clinical Academic Medicine be the next best thing then? I'm really just not sure what each of these options mean so I'm having trouble picking. Are there standardized descriptions of these somewhere?