2019-2020 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the 256gb iPad requirement going to be enough space, or should we just get the 512gb? I'm on the fence lol
I have used 42gb in my first year. I forget how much free space you need to take the exam. I keep all my notes on here but not much else. only other thing I have on here is anki regarding storage space.

I do recommend the pro however. No fun having to plug in your apple pencil to the lightning port to charge. The pro uses the apple 2 pencil which charges on a magnetic strip on your ipad so your always good to go. Plus it uses USB-C charger so you can charge your ipad way faster. idk the difference in battery capacity but I am glad i went with the pro. I am particular on quality over quantity especially when it comes to work so if this sounds like you, spend the extra money. you'll be on it all the time the next two year. Last thing you want is to use a product you are not satisfied with all day long.

Regarding notes, NSU gives us OneNote which is a pretty good program but I went with notabilty, as did most of the class. I prefer it over onenote and isnt too expensive. There is a UK medical student from Cambridge on Youtube who does a review of many notes apps if you want more details and information. Thats how I made my final decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have used 42gb in my first year. I forget how much free space you need to take the exam. I keep all my notes on here but not much else. only other thing I have on here is anki regarding storage space.

I do recommend the pro however. No fun having to plug in your apple pencil to the lightning port to charge. The pro uses the apple 2 pencil which charges on a magnetic strip on your ipad so your always good to go. Plus it uses USB-C charger so you can charge your ipad way faster. idk the difference in battery capacity but I am glad i went with the pro. I am particular on quality over quantity especially when it comes to work so if this sounds like you, spend the extra money. you'll be on it all the time the next two year. Last thing you want is to use a product you are not satisfied with all day long.
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know when it's supposed to drop? I was eyeing AMBOSS soon before I went full blown on Uworld myself.

All I know is we’re getting it sometime during second year probably right before dedicated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it matter whether we have a PC or macbook for a laptop? I know the email says either or I just didn't know if some of the programs we use are better suited for PCs or macbooks.

Does it matter whether we have a PC or macbook for a laptop? I know the email says either or I just didn't know if some of the programs we use are better suited for PCs or macbooks.

It doesn’t matter. What matter are the specs which not even we know yet but I’m sure will be released soon. If you have a relatively new laptop you should be ok

It doesn’t matter. What matter are the specs which not even we know yet but I’m sure will be released soon. If you have a relatively new laptop you should be ok

I agree, I'm not sure what the new requirements for laptops might be but I use a Macbook and haven't had any issues with our programs. I believe during a Q&A with the Dean they said any laptop should suffice.

I agree, I'm not sure what the new requirements for laptops might be but I use a Macbook and haven't had any issues with our programs. I believe during a Q&A with the Dean they said any laptop should suffice.

The newly accepted students website has the specs required. Looks like I’m buying a new Mac

Accepted from the waitlist today. I just sent in my declination letter, as I was accepted to my top-choice school late last week.

Hang in there, the waitlist is moving! Best of luck to everyone.

Is the NSU MD school taking rotations and resources away from the DO school?
Short answer No. If your at the Clearwater campus you will never even see them. I am at Davie and we also rarely interact with them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Not at all. We hardly ever see them and as far as I concerned their rotations will not conflict with ours

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this a while back... And to update you, the professor I referred to actually taught us cardiophys during our cardio block, which just ended.

M1 here.. That's not true at all. Care to share any specifics of what you've heard? The only way I can imagine someone is arguing this is because we share professors with the MD program and the FTL professor who taught Cardio to the DO students last year moved over to the MD program this year. There is a perfectly good explanation for this and it has to do with the new Tampa Bay campus..... When the DO program opened up the TB campus, the DO program needed to hire a bunch of new TB professors (because half the classes are required to be taught from TB and half from FTL). One of those new TB professors was hired to teach cardiology. Because of that, the cardio professor from FTL moved over the MD program. However, that same FTL professor still teaches pulmonary to the DO program and the DO students still have access to all of his cardio material (he basically wrote a small book on cardio). Just as an FYI... one of the professors hired for the MD program actually taught the DO students a few Biochem topics. So, no, I would say they are not taking resources from us.

Reactions: 2 users
I posted this a while back... And to update you, the professor I referred to actually taught us cardiophys during our cardio block, which just ended.
So glad that course is over. It was interesting but tough.

Any OMS1 or OMS2 can comment on how they feel about the curriculum and if they feel prepared for usmle/comlex?

Can anyone shed some light on Centro vs Sundance for housing? Anyone know which one is better?

Any OMS1 or OMS2 can comment on how they feel about the curriculum and if they feel prepared for usmle/comlex?
I would reach out to OMS3-OMS4. We haven't taken boards ourselves so it's all opinion based. Our Matches and I believe scores/pass rates for the last several years are listed. I know the matches are so they speak for themselves.

Curriculum is decent, we get a lot of board resources for free from school. You need to be studying for boards on your own and practicing questions. School courses will not prepare you for boards on its own so you need to supplement. This is what I here from my MD and DO buddies at other programs so I don't think its unique.

Medical school is what you make it. If you have specifics on which program to choose, pro/cons you can DM me. I don't regret choosing NSU over other programs. I think a majority of my colleagues would agree.

Last edited:
I would reach out to OMS3-OMS4. We haven't taken boards ourselves so it's all opinion based. Our Matches and I believe scores/pass rates for the last several years are listed. I know the matches are so they speak for themselves.

Curriculum is decent, we get a lot of board resources for free from school. You need to be studying for boards on your own and practicing questions. School courses will not prepare you for boards on its own so you need to supplement. This is what I here from my MD and DO buddies at other programs so I don't think its unique.

Medical school is what you make it. If you have specifics on which program to choose, pro/cons you can DM me. I don't regret choosing NSU over other programs. I think a majority of my colleagues would agree.

I agree that med school alone wont prepare you for the boards. There is a lot of low yield info included in the curriculum, and they test you on that low yield stuff. You definitely need to supplement.

I feel like I’m doing okay with board prep because I bought Boards and Beyond at the beginning of systems (I wish I bought it before school started Tbh and highly recommend it). I’ve been completing each system as we cover it and doing all the practice problems I can get my hands on (mostly from Lecturio which is provided by the school)... with that said, practice problems are on high yield concepts. I don’t feel like I have time to supplement and pay enough attention to the slides to absorb the low yield info to get As in school (my grades are fine lol... just not As).

—-Quick update to this comment... take my strategy with a grain of salt because i just remembered that the USMLE will be pass/fail for class of 2024. The comlex will still be scored and you obviously want to do well on that, but residency programs might put more weight on good gradeswith a pass/fail USMLE. I’m really not sure...

Last edited:
There is also free Boards and Beyond material floatiing around the TBR campus and free website for other supplements. I am not recommending you pirate any material, I am just saying if you ask around, you will find it. I have paid for resources I could find for free out of guilt but can sympathize if you choose not to do so.

I agree, its hard to get A's for most if you supplement for board study but it is the method I personally take. I do all right on exams but feel better leaving a block knowing the material on a foundational level and what facts or the way they word questions for boards. I'd be happy to talk to you all more about it when school starts. Just hit me with a DM when school starts.

Is NSU going to have online or in-person classes?
In person as of now, labs will be adjusted and potentially some lecture times but most people do not attend lectures. You only have so many hours a day. I love talking to some of the professors but there is something about watching at 2x speed and pausing to write notes or look something up. As someone who loved attending class, your views will likely change. I would say 80% of class does not regularly attend lectures.

edit-M2 class was sent an email on this today, I'm sure they will send it to you soon if they have not yet. The office is pretty transparent on whats is going on IMO. When they have an answer, they will notify class.

Hello! I just got accepted off of the waitlist and am frantically trying to make a decision to pick NSU over another program!

Are there any OMS3 or OMS4 here that can help answer some questions I have about rotations (this is the main difference between my current program and NSU)?

Any Tampa Bay students that can help me out with questions as well?

Also, does anyone know when NSU's orientation/classes start?

Hello! I just got accepted off of the waitlist and am frantically trying to make a decision to pick NSU over another program!

Are there any OMS3 or OMS4 here that can help answer some questions I have about rotations (this is the main difference between my current program and NSU)?

Congratulations! OMS-1 at Tampa Bay and will be glad to answer any questions. Feel free to DM me

4th year (as of Monday) here. I’ll answer what I can.

I was just taken off the waitlist!! I guess the last 5 months preparing to retake the MCAT was just for fun.

Reactions: 5 users
I was just taken off the waitlist!! I guess the last 5 months preparing to retake the MCAT was just for fun.

Congrats! Glad you don’t have to go through that nightmare again!

Got off the waitlist about a week ago but I withdrew! Good luck to everyone and hope my spot goes to one of you patiently waiting!
Interviewed in Feb, Waitlisted 2 weeks later and accepted June 1st. 503 mcat and 3.7 cGPA and sGPA. My interview grilled me on some bad grades I got and generally I got bad vibes from it but hey ya never know so don’t count yourself out.

Congratulations, sounds like the studying paid off anyways because you achieved what you wanted! Take it as a big plus!

Also got the interview invite! I had already received a pre II rejection letter. Cannot believe this!

• Wow
Welp, That’s probably not good for the rest of us that are on the alternate list lol
Steadfast my friend! I was just accepted yesterday off the WL!! Excited beyond belief! There's still hope for you.

Same!! Denied in April and got a II today

• Wow
For those who scheduled their interview, did you get a confirmation email afterwards? I didn't and am hoping I didnt type my email in incorrectly haha

Welp, That’s probably not good for the rest of us that are on the alternate list lol
I wouldn't equate it to that, they could have had a bigger withdrawal of accepted applicants and know they have so many seat to fill. You are still in the running if they didn't reject you. This wasn't my case at NSU but one of my other WL programs kept sending out II to others and still ended up getting back to me. Have faith but continue to prepare for reapplication if you are without an acceptance! I sat on several WL on every place I interviewed and didn't get an my acceptances until the farther end of the cycle.

Congratulations, to all those with their II, I'll see some of you around next year!

I wouldn't equate it to that, they could have had a bigger withdrawal of accepted applicants and know they have so many seat to fill. You are still in the running if they didn't reject you. This wasn't my case at NSU but one of my other WL programs kept sending out II to others and still ended up getting back to me. Have faith but continue to prepare for reapplication if you are without an acceptance! I sat on several WL on every place I interviewed and didn't get an my acceptances until the farther end of the cycle.

Congratulations, to all those with their II, I'll see some of you around next year!
I hope that it's because of that haha. I'm already accepted to ACOM but if I get off the waitlist here, I'll have to strongly consider it so I can stay in Florida.

For those who scheduled their interview, did you get a confirmation email afterwards? I didn't and am hoping I didnt type my email in incorrectly haha

I have not received an email either, but I screen shot the page before closing it.

I was rejected back in October but just got an interview invite yesterday! Weird. Are they running short on students this year?

Have not been able to get in contact with this school, does anybody know the best email address to message in regards to my application?

They opened 2 dates, June 17th and June 18th