2019-2020 Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah so I still have to wait. When did you submit your secondary and how long did it take to get that email?

Secondary/payment submitted concurrently yesterday. Email followed in ~10 seconds. Just kidding, but it wasn't more than a few hours maybe? Can't recall, but got everything yesterday.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm it’s been more than 12 hours since I submitted and all I got was that email saying app status - your file will be reviewed soon etc

I think I’ll wait a day or 2 before I start calling the office lol I think 12 hours is a little neurotic lol
they wont review your app until your newest mcat score is in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Loyola Stritch a good school for LGBT applicants? Their very first question on the secondary is about "core Jesuit value".

Is Loyola Stritch a good school for LGBT applicants? Their very first question on the secondary is about "core Jesuit value".
Jesuit schools like Loyola and Georgetown are pretty dang inclusive. They're not Loma Linda lol. They take pride in their Jesuit values, and I'm pretty sure LGBTQ discrimination isn't one of them. I'd be pretty confident to say that the majority of students at those schools aren't religious either.

Reactions: 4 users
My best friend is LGBTQ and he is starting his M1. He says they have been incredible inclusive. Having gone to a jesuit undergrad they are more socially liberal than most people in this country.

Reactions: 1 users
I just logged in and my status has been updated with an II. I didn't get an email so I just thought I'd let y'all know to check your portals when you get the chance. Good Luck to all! <3

Submitted 7/14. Marked Complete 7/16.
I was REAL excited for a minute. :lol: But not me quite yet! This is one of my top schools and I submitted my secondary a month ago. Hopefully the rest of us stumble upon an II soon!

Reactions: 2 users
I did not receive a commitee letter due to being slightly under for one my school's academic requirements. Should I explain this on the commitee letter question for that reason or just leave it blank?

I did not receive a commitee letter due to being slightly under for one my school's academic requirements. Should I explain this on the commitee letter question for that reason or just leave it blank?
You for sure need to explain it. If you school offers a committee letter these medical schools will know that and you will have to explain.

I just logged in and my status has been updated with an II. I didn't get an email so I just thought I'd let y'all know to check your portals when you get the chance. Good Luck to all! <3

Happy to see they're starting to move into this phase! Visited a Stritch Cafe info session back in March - awesome school!

There’s no way to track that, I don’t think
Only one person has reported receiving one so I would assume based on SDN relativity that I have no idea. HAHA jk that probably means not too many have been sent out.

Members don't see this ad :)

What did it look like on your portal? A new tab?

VERY VERY good school for LGBTQ students

I was just wondering if anyone knows whats the optimum amount of non-clinical and clinical volunteer hours Loyola likes to see?

I was REAL excited for a minute. :lol: But not me quite yet! This is one of my top schools and I submitted my secondary a month ago. Hopefully the rest of us stumble upon an II soon!

good luck! seems like an awesome school to go to!

I submitted my secondary on July 24 at like 1am and was put on hold maybe 4 hrs later. Does a hold mean anything for this school? This is one of my top choices!!

I submitted my secondary on July 24 at like 1am and was put on hold maybe 4 hrs later. Does a hold mean anything for this school? This is one of my top choices!!
I believe it means they will compare your applications to others a bit later in the cycle

Saw this post yesterday so have also been checking religiously... +1 on the II!!! Absolutely thrilled! OOS, LM 70, complete July 21 (also interestingly I got my complete email immediately after submitting and didn't seem to get caught up in that big status holdup)

(Editing my own post and answering my question to be useful) The day runs from 8:45 AM - ~3:30 PM

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Saw this post yesterday so have also been checking religiously... +1 on the II!!! Absolutely thrilled! OOS, LM 70, complete July 21 (also interestingly I got my complete email immediately after submitting and didn't seem to get caught up in that big status holdup)

Anyone know the logistics of the interview day? Need to look into travel plans ASAP and see what flights are feasible before I select a day
+2!!!! just checked because of your post and saw it. it's so weird they're not sending emails for it?

Reactions: 3 users
+2!!!! just checked because of your post and saw it. it's so weird they're not sending emails for it?
How is it appearing on your portal? As a tab or the message where it said before that you were under review?

How is it appearing on your portal? As a tab or the message where it said before that you were under review?
it was in the message where it said I was under review before. then you have to check a box saying you've completed the prereqs and then an interview tab will show up on the side

There’s no way to track that, I don’t think

If this is helpful, the interview info said they host 18 people per interview day, and there were 4 date options for me, so I'd guess they've sent out 72? Sorry if this adds to anyone's neuroses

Wait so is there a new slot/box for “II extended” when you look at your home page?

So in that red/maroon bolded text that appears right above the grid on the homepage, it said "Congratulations" etc etc, there was a "Certification of Prerequisites" tab added on the left, and then once that tab was complete a tab appeared titled "Your Interview" for selecting dates

Last edited:
I'm only slightly salty that I submitted my secondary 7/8 and had everything in and didn't get complete until 7/24 lol. Meanwhile people submitting after me and getting complete early with interviews.. congrats to all but this process is so cruel -_- It wasn't meant to be Loyola hahah

I'm only slightly salty that I submitted my secondary 7/8 and had everything in and didn't get complete until 7/24 lol. Meanwhile people submitting after me and getting complete early with interviews.. congrats to all but this process is so cruel -_- It wasn't meant to be Loyola hahah
Even though I know it's still early I can't help but feel the same haha

What did it look like on your portal? A new tab?

On the main page of my portal there was a new red text after: "As of today, Monday, August 05, 2019"... It said i'd been selected for interview and first needed to certify pre-reqs in a tab on the left. After I did that, another tab called "Your Interview" populated (took a while to pop up) and that allowed me to schedule.

Also, I just remembered that there was something in the original status that said you had to select an interview within 2 weeks of being offered one...since they aren't emailing to notify that interviews are being offered... I recommend you all check your statuses regularly. I'd hate for anyone to miss their shot. Hope to meet some of you there! :)

Reactions: 4 users

It's difficult but my advisor said she has met students who interviewed in MAY for MD schools before. I know that's an extreme, but I was also told by a UCSF MD/PHD candidate that even he felt like the process was a like a crap shoot. He told me to never get too comfortable through it all, but also never lose hope (lol!). We got time!! Also, if you're still under review, who knows which direction it will head? I still view that as a positive honestly.

Reactions: 6 users
Everybody take a deep breathe it’s only August 7th. We have literally a year to go in this cycle. It’s all going to be okayZ

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Hey, saw that you are an M1 at Loyola. Do you mind if I ask a few q's about Loyola? How do you feel your experience so far has been there?

Thanks !
Go ahead and send me a message if you want! I'm happy to answer any questions.

Yes, it's very risky. As I explained to other users who have PMed me, Loyola has an obsession with minority and DACA students. Many of these accepted minority students have lower MCAT scores and lower GPAs (you can make an argument as to why that's the case but let's not go there). In the current M2 year at Loyola, Over 15 students had to either drop out of school or repeat the entire M1 year (that's almost 10% of the class!). They were all minority students with low MCAT scores. Also, step scores at Loyola are abysmal, which is why they don't post them. Whether this is because of a poor education or the type of students they are admitting is up in the air (but it's most likely the latter).

Other years are just as bad if not worse. There were a lot of problems with the current M4 year in terms of failing grades and step scores. Loyola will defend this admission standard by saying that minority physicians are better able to care for the minority population in the Maywood area. So, Loyola knows its a risk to accept quantitatively under-qualified applicants because the potential payoff is that they can produce more minority physicians who somehow care more for minority patients.

I'm neither criticizing Loyola for their admission practices nor minority students (some of whom had to overcome significant hurdles); however, just take this into account when applying.

Are you a student/admin at Loyola?

My thoughts of Loyola are this-

1.) It doesn't have a poor education (as you already assumed, correctly). Step scores are at the national mean- which although isn't great, realize when you accept more disadvantaged medical students than most medical schools- that is going to happen. They bring down the mean (not saying this in a negative way, but this is pure math lol)

2.) Loyola is giving people that wouldn't normally be able to the chance to become physicians. Whether that is to improve the lives of these families of these students, to enroll more minority applicants so they can empathize with patients from the same background, or just for the sake of social justice. Sure, some of these students struggle in their transition to medical school. But they graduate. And Loyola knows that these students will struggle at the beginning and offer a crazy number of resources to get you back on your feet.

3.) Despite going against the grain and accepting students from backgrounds that affected their entrance qualifications, Loyola's MSAR MCAT is a 510 and GPA is a 3.64. Which is just around average matriculant.

It's a mission-based admission policy. They even make that clear from their own website. No, they do not accept every DACA/minority student that has a pulse- they give those that have enticing stories and show the academic fortitude despite the struggles they went through.

Good luck with the application process! Btw if you want to know Loyola's match list, email admissions- they are very transparent and they will send it to you with no hesitation. I would recommend waiting until after getting accepted so you don't seem pushy though lol.

No I am not in admissions but have very close ties to it.

Nothing you said is incorrect but I know for a fact that out of the 90 or so DACA students currently enrolled in medical school in the USA, around 50-60 are currently at Stritch. I don't know about you but that's a pretty strong bias for a group of people.
Take that as you will.
Is this published by the school? Any way to verify?

Just out of curiosity - I know Loyola had a couple boxes to check off if you were part of their undergrad or one of their associated master's/ different programs. Do you suppose checking yes to those boxes would move you up in review regardless of completion data?

I would kinda think so but idk. Maybe they're reviewing those ones first too

hmmm, actually didn't think of that, but certain people that got II's were OOS applicants. But it also depends what state they are from lmao.

Just out of curiosity - I know Loyola had a couple boxes to check off if you were part of their undergrad or one of their associated master's/ different programs. Do you suppose checking yes to those boxes would move you up in review regardless of completion data?

I would kinda think so but idk. Maybe they're reviewing those ones first too

Have a friend who was in one of the programs and she's still under review.

Does anyone know if Loyola reviews your LORs to make sure they fit the requirements before sending complete emails? I submitted my committee letter with 2 additional letters attached to meet the 3 minimum requirement, but in my portal it only says (1) next to LORs. I received a complete email awhile ago with no status change yet and am worried they may be counting all 3 of my letters as just one packet and that this may be holding me up, but then again it's early in the cycle so I'm not sure.

Complete 7/17 for reference

Last edited:
If you're a DACA student then you could literally copy and paste random quotes from Seinfeld into your secondary and you'll still get into Loyola with room to spare.
We've all heard stories of people with sub 500 MCAT scores getting into Loyola. Those are mostly DACA students.
I'm sure you're a stellar candidate but as someone who knows the Loyola admissions process pretty well, do not worry about getting in. You'll be fine.
First, I don't like that you seem to be putting all DACA students into this "sub 500 MCAT score" group. I am a DACA recipient, and I scored a 514 on my first try. Second, there are many qualities that help determine whether someone will be a good doctor, and your MCAT score is a just a measure of one. Perhaps Stritch recognizes this and places more importance on the kind of qualities one can only get through personal experience with certain disadvantaged populations. I think it's pretty funny that you say minority physicians "somehow" care more for minority patients. It's pretty clear to see why; they come from these communities and many times their families still belong to them. Third, everyone is under-qualified when they start medical school. This is why we spend four years plus residency to learn how to effectively treat patients.

• Love
Reactions: 28 users
I saw this on my portal today: "Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February."

Does this mean they reviewed my application and are holding off sending an interview because of my lower than average stats?
I submitted their secondary on July 18th and was emailed that my app was complete on July 24th.

I saw this on my portal today: "Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February."

Does this mean they reviewed my application and are holding off sending an interview because of my lower than average stats?
I submitted their secondary on July 18th and was emailed that my app was complete on July 24th.

Yes, it means that they are putting your application on hold until later in the cycle, so they may or may not give it another look later on. It doesn't necessarily mean it's because of your stats though, so keep your chin up!

It means your application was put on "hold". Basically stating that they are waiting for more applicants later down the line to compare to you.