2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EVMS waitlist has had a lot of reported movement on SDN this past week, hopefully VCU picks up soon.
I don't think you can necessarily extrapolate one school's waitlist movement from another, even if they are in the same state. But I do agree that hopefully we have some movement soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think you can necessarily extrapolate one school's waitlist movement from another, even if they are in the same state. But I do agree that hopefully we have some movement soon.
Even admissions staff are saying it's been abnormally slow movement this year...

How did we get so lucky

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how they factor in the answer to the question of if you have been accepted elsewhere on the alt list? Or do they even use it? I should have asked Dean Mission but forgot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how they factor in the answer to the question of if you have been accepted elsewhere on the alt list? Or do they even use it? I should have asked Dean Mission but forgot.

I hope it doesn't factor in because VCU has always been my clear top choice.

Just got accepted (yay! OOS, LM 71) Does anyone else who was accepted know if we fill out the matriculation form if we're not 100% sure yet? Right now they're my top choice, but I'm still on a couple other waitlists so I don't want to mess anything up lol

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted. OOS (72). I'll be withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Is it kind of weird that VCU kept pulling OOSs off the waitlist when dean clearly stated that they are currently heavy on OOSs??

Reactions: 7 users
Is it kind of weird that VCU kept pulling OOSs off the waitlist when dean clearly stated that they are currently heavy on OOSs??
It is not even may first yet so let us all realize that.

Reactions: 1 user
You can only have one school that you “plan to enroll” by April 30th. That means you have to withdraw all your other ACCEPTANCES. However, you can still remain WAITLISTED for as many schools as possible. If you got off the waitlist after April 30th, you have x number of days to notify the school and AMCAS if you wanted to change your “plan to enroll” option. Sometimes before matriculation, you have to “commit to enroll” to a school.

Source: me lol, correct me if wronged

I'm not sure if this is universally correct. One school told me that you have to "plan to enroll" there by April 30th, but do not have to withdraw your other acceptances until the 'commit to enroll' deadline. Another school told me that they do not have any "plan to enroll" requirement in place, just the commit to enroll deadline.

I'm not sure if this is universally correct. One school told me that you have to "plan to enroll" there by April 30th, but do not have to withdraw your other acceptances until the 'commit to enroll' deadline. Another school told me that they do not have any "plan to enroll" requirement in place, just the commit to enroll deadline.
This is correct from what the aamc guidelines say. As long as you don’t hit commit to enroll, you can stay on WLs

Commit to enroll deadlines are in like July for most schools you definitely have to withdraw other acceptances before then

Commit to enroll deadlines are in like July for most schools you definitely have to withdraw other acceptances before then

The more I'm looking at the actual wording on the AAMC website, it doesn't specifically state that you HAVE to withdraw from schools on April 30th. It just states to do it in fairness to other applicants. I think you may just lose your deposits at all the schools you don't withdraw from in time. CARS was hard though so I may just be misinterpreting it.

It's confusing because their wording seems contradictory. This is what it says:

"I have preliminarily selected this medical school as the one I plan to attend in accordance with Protocol 9 of the Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants. Medical schools can only see aggregate information until April 30th and will not know which applicants have selected "Plan to Enroll" at their school or at other schools. Beginning April 30th, medical schools can see which of their accepted applicants have selected "Plan to Enroll" at their institution. I understand that I can continue to interview, hold my current acceptance offers and receive additional acceptance offers, and remain on any waitlist at any other medical schools to which I applied."

Protocol 9 says to drop all acceptances but one by April 30th, but then the "hold my current acceptance offers" part makes it sound like this isn't a requirement. Meanwhile, the AAMC representative I spoke to said all of these deadlines are simply guidelines and the "plan/commit to enroll" rules were entirely school-specific. I talked to the schools and they are confused as well since it's new this year :shrug: so I guess we all just have to see how it plays out.

In addition, it says, "Beginning April 30th, medical schools can see which of their accepted applicants have selected "Plan to Enroll" at their institution." but I don't see that medical schools can tell that we selected "plan to enroll" at another institution instead? According to SDN though, they can see this but not the school name I believe.
The part you bolded isn’t talking about past April 30 - it’s just saying you can still hold other acceptances even after clicking plan to enroll. Protocol 9 is talking about after April 30. And yes they’re technically only guidelines but I wouldn’t want to run the risk of having one of my acceptances assume I’m choosing another school because I didn’t move to one acceptance by the recommended date (since they can then see if you’ve selected another school regardless of whether or not its name is revealed) I think it’s a “recommendation” because it gives people a few days of wiggle room to have their withdrawals processed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew from alternate list. Good luck to you all <3 Hope you end up where you are meant to be.

Reactions: 6 users
Just got accepted (yay! OOS, LM 71) Does anyone else who was accepted know if we fill out the matriculation form if we're not 100% sure yet? Right now they're my top choice, but I'm still on a couple other waitlists so I don't want to mess anything up lol
Would love to know the answer to this as well, but it seems like you don’t have to know 100% to fill that out. But again I’m not sure

Accepted off of the waitlist yesterday, 04/26/19. I'll be withdrawing my acceptance, best of luck to you all!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Do you guys expect a large movement on the week of April 30th or it’s just going to run at the same pace as the past two weeks?

Do you guys expect a large movement on the week of April 30th or it’s just going to run at the same pace as the past two weeks?
If the rules are followed/enforced, then we should have a surge in WL movement the next week or so (depending on how quickly they redistribute).

If the rules are followed/enforced, then we should have a surge in WL movement the next week or so (depending on how quickly they redistribute).
Looked back at last year's thread - there was a lot of OOS movement the first week of May, then IS seemed to have a little lurch of movement around early June.

Reactions: 3 users
Looked back at last year's thread - there was a lot of OOS movement the first week of May, then IS seemed to have a little lurch of movement around early June.

I'll lose my mind if IS movement doesn't really start until June haha

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone who came off the alternate list the last two weeks still not get their Banner ID? My residency is filled out on the portal, but the IDs are blank.

Does VCU withdraw applicants that have committed to enroll at another school

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday but withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck everyone!

Did anyone who came off the alternate list the last two weeks still not get their Banner ID? My residency is filled out on the portal, but the IDs are blank.
Mine has banner ID and residency status but no eID, email or card number.

My understanding is that you have to remove yourself if you have committed to enroll at another school.

Last edited:

To my understanding...

The AMCAS tool is a supplementary database to help schools get a better idea if they need to accept more students from waitlists to fill all potential seats. Only you can withdraw yourself from a school by directly communicating with the said school. The only case in which you are unwillingly withdrawn from a school is if you don't respond by the given deadline to a schools invitation to alternate list/acceptance, then a school can withdraw you.

Though, all schools where you have been accepted will see that you selected "commit to enroll." They may not know exactly where you committed, but it is poor form to hold other seats/waitlist spots past this point. Something for all to keep in mind. Best of luck to you!

Sadly withdrew my OOS acceptance - i hope it goes to one of you. Good luck everyone!!!!

Can some of you IS peeps withdraw and help me out? Thanks in advance ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
It's wild to see so much OOS movement in what is supposed to be a correction back toward IS movement (per Dean Mission's Q&A a few weeks ago).

That said, during that same Q&A Dean Mission raised some really good points that explain why, historically, OOS WL movement is typically greater than IS (IS acceptees have geographical, financial, and family incentives)

Reactions: 5 users
I also really think there is a bias towards OOS on here. I personally know of like 5-6 IS people accepted to vcu that have never gone on this message board and never will

Checked and got tabs around 2:00 pm today. Logged onto AMCAS and saw VCU as an option under the Choose Your Medical School tool, just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. 5 interviews this cycle and 5 waitlists had me feeling bummed. I am straight up cryin' in the club right now...got passed up on all 4 acceptance dates, but here we are...momma I made it!!!!

Here's my application at a glance:
Stats: 510 MCAT (low CARS), 3.73 cGPA, 3.70 sGPA
Demographics: IS, Male, Asian
Interviewed: Mid September 2018
Alternate List: Mid March 2019

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
just checked my portal and got the error message. When I reloaded it it went back to the we received your alternate list selection. Might mean things are happening

I am crying in the club too because I got no acceptance lol

I also really think there is a bias towards OOS on here. I personally know of like 5-6 IS people accepted to vcu that have never gone on this message board and never will
I think it's hard to say there's a bias because for all we know, there could be even more OOS students who never would go on VCU sdn.