2018-2019 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received the acceptance phone call on Thursday as well. Interviewed 3/8. Congrats to all of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
is there a class of 2023 fb group or anything?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
in the past years does anyone know if only candidates off of the priority waitlist got accepted? how about the movement for the regular waitlist

Has anyone started a FB page for the Class of 2023?

is anyone bringing their parents or significant other to second look day??

Woo!

I think I'm done here until next year unless explicitly called tagged, so if you have any questions, etc., PM me!

It would be great if current students (guessing M1s) could put up a Facebook page for the Class of 2023 - we can add ourselves to it and the current students can answer questions/get to know us.

It would be great if current students (guessing M1s) could put up a Facebook page for the Class of 2023 - we can add ourselves to it and the current students can answer questions/get to know us.
You should contact the school directly; last year, they gave us permission to make our own and then you could perhaps get a roster for yourself to add people. More so, when ya'll get closer (summer), there's a message board that'll open and have a forum for questions, etc.

FAm: That said, WhAt Questions you got??

If anyone has been accepted off of PWL before please private message me. Have a few questions and would love any advice you are willing to offer. TY!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should contact the school directly; last year, they gave us permission to make our own and then you could perhaps get a roster for yourself to add people. More so, when ya'll get closer (summer), there's a message board that'll open and have a forum for questions, etc.

FAm: That said, WhAt Questions you got??
Is there any hope of getting off the regular waitlist? and do they accept LOI?

Is there any hope of getting off the regular waitlist? and do they accept LOI?
I'm not admissions lol. Call up and see (politely). A LOI isn't very helpful imo, as they've become standard fare for schools to receive (and then the student breaks that intent later on). Cant hurt! Call up and ask that too (politely)!

Incoming M1. If you are an accepted student and want to chat and become friends, send me a message! Would be great to start talking with folks as I was not able to attend Second Look day.

Also searching for a roommate to live in either Camden or Philly :)

Does anyone know if they call or email to notify students accepted off the waitlist? I'll be out of the country first two weeks of May and wondering how I should approach staying in contact with the school while I'm away

Just accepted this morning! Interviewed 9/7, placed on PWL 11/5, LizzyM ~69-70, ORM, male.

Edit: fixed interview date.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my A a few days ago. Good luck everyone!

They do send an email 1-2 days after the call and also mail a package within 10 days. @ambitiouspotato it should be fine if you are abroad.

Set up a GroupMe - just shoot me a message with your name and number and I can add you to it. We've got a couple of people who've joined but got a lot more to go.

Edit: I should probably add that admin won't allow us to create a facebook page so, for now, a GroupMe is all we can swing.

Last edited:
I recently got an acceptance and I selected "accept offer" in my portal. Is that like commiting to this school? I am worried now, would appreciate a quick answer, Thanks!

Has anyone else received an acceptance off of the PWL? If so, when? Just wondering how much movement there has been.

Set up a GroupMe - just shoot me a message with your name and number and I can add you to it. We've got a couple of people who've joined but got a lot more to go.

Edit: I should probably add that admin won't allow us to create a facebook page so, for now, a GroupMe is all we can swing.
Hey! Have you made a Groupme? I was hoping you could add my friend to the group!

Accepted this morning off of the PWL! I think I am still in shock. Best day of my life!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the call that I was accepted off of the PWL! After so many years of the pre-med struggle, I'm finally going to be a doctor!!!! Thank you SDN!!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to all getting accepted off of the waitlist. For those who are still waiting, please don't get discouraged!

Would a current student at this school mind sharing some of the major pros and cons of this school please?

Pros:
-Real investment in students, the faculty care about us and it shows through teaching, availability, and effort.

-Real caring doctors and a hospital that love to teach (99% of the time, they're pumped to have you there).

-Not set in certain ways and traditions like schools that are 200 years old (like keeping the program old and dusty b/c "it's worked before for us". I've actually had other schools tell me this when we questioned about updating their curriculum to the standards of today (PBL, etc.)).

-I'd like to think we practice what we preach; we're here, in Camden, to work and help the city. We don't advertise it and weaponize the concept. For example, sometimes, you see organizations that will only help if there are cameras ready to capture the moment just to say, "look at us; we help so much, as evidenced by this photo!". We put our heads down and work, in a genuine way.

-Small feel, w/ an attitude not that you'd normally associate w/ med school. Example being that it's bright in the school, not dingy, not depressing, and the culture is just genuinely not what your expectations are as of now; people are happy to go here, and I think that shows.

-Transportation through PATCO is convenient. You can commute from Philly in less than 15 minutes.

-Recorded lectures w/ plenty of time to freely study.

-Huge amount of services (physical, mental, etc.) to make sure you're healthy and safe in dealing w/ medical school.

-PBL based curriculum. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, we have ALG, which is basically an episode of house. You all sit around a table and discuss the case that week, while researching and figuring out things to go over, explore, etc. I love it.

-WOW week. There is a week where you will go into the hospital, your only job being to shadow, participate, and everything in between. You'll have daily rotations, like the NICU, ED, OB, surgery, etc. It's amazing and so much fun.

-The clinic. By September, you'll be seeing your own patients. Once you get your white coat, you'll join a team of an M2 and an M3 (those numbers can change around a bit) w/ attending to help guide you. You'll get experience w/ histories, exams, teamwork, presenting, and more. My favorite part: you get to learn and actually make a difference helping a city local who doesn't have health insurance to get the best care they can, b/c it's your team caring for them!

Cons:

-Parking can be a hassle.

-Scholars is a class that most people do not like. I think scholars, for what it's worth, teaches us and so it's not a complete waste of time, compared to others' thinking. I will say that even as a person who believes that everything has a purpose and even the bad helps you to grow, there have been a couple times where even I got frustrated at scholars. You need to accept that it does help lol.

Personally, that's about all I can think of for cons. I'll let others chime in. But, I wouldn't change anything, even if Harvard came and said, "hey there was a mistake. Come on over to us". I'd say that was a shame and stay right where I am. I couldn't be happier w/ my decision.

Feel free to ask more specifics; I'm very speak when spoken to and want to address what's on your mind about learning about Cooper.

Reactions: 6 users
I know this might be a bad question because it's medical school, but how hard are your classes and do you have a life outside of med school?

Yes! I was just interviewed about this yesterday, the concept of life and the expectations of medical school.

The stereotypes aren't real for the most part. Now, I believe that it's mostly this school itself and its culture, and partially b/c all the medical school stereotyping is overblown in general, but whatever you think it will be, you'll be surprised in many ways.

The faculty aren't trying to fail you. The doctors, nurses, etc. are enjoyable and a pleasure to work with. There's no abuse if you present wrong. You aren't literally beaten. Do you understand? Medical school is easier than you think (however, it still is the hardest thing you'll do). There's fun here. We have events. You'll get sorted into houses than eventually we play in the annual cup challenge (it's honestly described as Hogwarts by my family). It's a better time than you think it'll be.

There's time for a life, should you manage your time well. Class isn''t necessarily hard (it can be!), but there's just a lot of material. You'll hear this about 100 times, but the pancake analogy: given a pancake a day, if you eat it then, you're good. It's not too much. But, don't eat your pancake, and then they start piling up. Eventually, you find yourself eating about 10 pancakes in a day. That can be stressful, especially if the material isn't intuitive at that junction.

Yes! I get to explore, hang out, go to Philly, etc. In fact, a lot of times I find myself with minimal tasks to do, so I get to drive a couple hours no problem to visit people back home, etc.

I know this might be a bad question because it's medical school, but how hard are your classes and do you have a life outside of med school?
But in terms of straight lifestyle, you have any type of life you'd like. You have Philly just across the water, you have Camden (convenient for commuting; not so much living in), and you have Cherry Hill and other suburbs that you could choose (mall, wegmans, parks, river, movies, etc.). And whichever side of the bridge you pick, you can get to the other side in less than 20 minutes and for about $3-$5 (different stops = different $).

I do have a good life. I study all the time, but when I can or am just sick of it and need a break, I'll either relax or go to Philly, where if I was a huge partier, I could really go nuts (moderation is key ;)). I hang around center city, which has a bunch of great spots if you know what you're looking for (or don't!).

That's almost tradition on weekends/post-test to have someone host something somewhere in Philly.

I also enjoy the fact that NYC is 2 hours north.

And remember: the classes are preparing you for steps, and more importantly, patients; I think Cooper does that very well.

If you could visit( live somewhat close by), I'd be happy to show you around if you are still unsure of the area, philly, school itself, etc. And that goes for anyone ITA. I'm literally broadcasting this over this site and almost my whole class knows who I am on here XD, so you safe fam (safe anyway lol but some people have high anxiety *shrugs*)! Feel free to message me for my number if you wanted to text questions, etc. too.

Why do I care so much?: I enjoyed my time picking schools, but hated the stress of "what if I pick wrong.? etc. In the end, I had some great help choosing along the way, so I think it's the right and fun thing to pay it forward

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how deep into the waitlist CMSRU is currently?

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys I committed to CMSRU today and I got into the PC3 program for IM so I'm super excited! I am starting the search for housing and wanted to know what everyone was planning on doing, if anyone has suggestions or openings? I did all that stuff through Facebook in undergrad so I'm finding it a bit challenging to do the same here without a class of 2023 group

So excited, I got the call today! I was put on the regular waitlist on 11/30, sent 3 updates and a letter of intent... I never expected to hear back, but it sounds like there might be some movement! Sending y’all good luck vibes!

(Also apparently I’m now in the market for Philly housing if anyone has any particular insight into the neighborhoods.)

Reactions: 2 users
So excited, I got the call today! I was put on the regular waitlist on 11/30, sent 3 updates and a letter of intent... I never expected to hear back, but it sounds like there might be some movement! Sending y’all good luck vibes!

(Also apparently I’m now in the market for Philly housing if anyone has any particular insight into the neighborhoods.)

Thanks for bringing hope to the regular waitlisters!!!! are you IS?

Last edited:

could you pm me?

Does anyone know if there is a date requirement to commit on the AAMC app? Thanks

could you also PM me?

Could you PM me too :) thanks!

anyone who holds an acceptance to cooper planning to withdraw/unsure if they will attend and plan to get in somewhere else?

Just got off the regular waitlist today! There's still movement but I had no way of knowing what my rank was- keep hanging in there and I hope its one of you guys next!

508/3.7, strong community EC's, and a research gap year w/ 2 pubs

Reactions: 3 users
For any current students, do you have any input regarding how students like the curriculum? How often do you have exams and how long is the dedicated study period for USMLE?
Thanks!