2018-2019 Boston University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody having problems paying the application fee? When I select credit card and click continue, it automatically goes to a page that says "security error, contact administrator".

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone submitting a letter packet (rather than committee letter) from their premed office? Their option one says "Health Professions Advisor or Advisory Committee Letter/Packet Letter" but then it says "No Health Professions Advisory Committee letter" reason. I'm not sure if I'm covered by having a letter packet or if I should answer that my premed office doesn't do a committee letter :unsure:

Quick question. For personal connections to BU, is it faculty only? I know a physician that is an alumnus but the question asks to provide a department and they do not work there.

Question/Concern! I'm having a weird problem with my prereq grid. I completed it but when I click on print preview to go over my app, there is a new selection in the grid "Calculus" that shows "0." I filled out the grid under the "College Level Mathematics" and no where do I see another option for solely "calculus." Should I be concerned or do you guys think it's just a glitch?

Question/Concern! I'm having a weird problem with my prereq grid. I completed it but when I click on print preview to go over my app, there is a new selection in the grid "Calculus" that shows "0." I filled out the grid under the "College Level Mathematics" and no where do I see another option for solely "calculus." Should I be concerned or do you guys think it's just a glitch?
Same thing happened to me. Pretty sure I just specified in the comments section that I took both Calc and Stat and put down that I took 2 math classes.

Reactions: 1 user
To the people who've already submitted, are you guys already verified on AMCAS? I was about to submit but then I saw this:

PRIOR
to submitting your application:
  • Confirm your AMCAS application/transcript has been VERIFIED by AMCAS.
  • If it is not verified, save your work in draft form, and return to this page when you are verified.
I'm being redundant and I'm obviously overthinking it, but I'm not verified until probably August, so I should wait until I am to submit, right?

To the people who've already submitted, are you guys already verified on AMCAS? I was about to submit but then I saw this:

PRIOR
to submitting your application:
  • Confirm your AMCAS application/transcript has been VERIFIED by AMCAS.
  • If it is not verified, save your work in draft form, and return to this page when you are verified.
I'm being redundant and I'm obviously overthinking it, but I'm not verified until probably August, so I should wait until I am to submit, right?

I was verified before I submitted mine!

For the "narrative or timeline of your education history", is it geared specifically towards things we learned in school via class, study abroad, etc.? Or can we also talk about things we learned from our service, research projects, or other things like that?

Application is under review!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone using the narrative/timeline space for a diversity essay? The subject of my diversity essay was the immigrant experience so I figured I could use it to talk about 'experiencing a culture unlike my own' but idk if they want you to talk about your actual education specifically.

Is anyone using the narrative/timeline space for a diversity essay? The subject of my diversity essay was the immigrant experience so I figured I could use it to talk about 'experiencing a culture unlike my own' but idk if they want you to talk about your actual education specifically.

It sounded pretty education focused to me, so I think you would want to stick to that as best you can. I agree it has a similar tone to it though, so what I did was focus on the characteristics my diversity essay was bringing out most and then took something unique in my educational history and focused on how that part of my studies brought out those characteristics in me and in my life. Hopefully that made a bit of sense haha!

Reactions: 1 users
It sounded pretty education focused to me, so I think you would want to stick to that as best you can. I agree it has a similar tone to it though, so what I did was focus on the characteristics my diversity essay was bringing out most and then took something unique in my educational history and focused on how that part of my studies brought out those characteristics in me and in my life. Hopefully that made a bit of sense haha!

Yeah that kind of makes sense, thanks! I think I might just leave it blank then lol

did you guys get an email after submitting secondary? The status says it was submitted but i didnt get any email of payment confirmation or saying that i submitted it
yeah i got a complete email

ahhh I've been drowning in secondaries and I am now just submitting this secondary :ninja: excited to see what happens, hopefully not too "late" in the game!

Did the secondary crash a few seconds ago for anyone else, or am I just special?

Anyone else have trouble submitting payment online? It says "error 1249391 has been logged". What does that mean?

Edit: I figured it out!

Last edited:
Says I'm under review on the portal but I never got an email. Is this normal?

I got a complete email but I never got a under review one. Maybe this school just doesn't do that
Same here. Got a complete email but just happened to check the portal and saw that I was under review.

My app isn't even verified but I have a secondary, should I worry about the 2-week rule/suggestion?

My app isn't even verified but I have a secondary, should I worry about the 2-week rule/suggestion?

You can't actually submit the app until you're verified, so while I do recommend pre-writing your secondary if you can, ultimately you will have to wait until verification anyways!

Anyone want to swap essays? Specifically looking for those who answered: "Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree?" and "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us."

Just got the rejection email. Seems a little early to already be rejected but hey I’m not the adcom.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the rejection email as well. Super bummed since this was one of my top choice schools. OOS, complete 7/10.

Just got the rejection email as well. Super bummed since this was one of my top choice schools. OOS, complete 7/10.

Dang. Very sorry to hear this. BU is one of my top choices as well, so now I'll be on the lookout for an update from them as well, though I completed about a week after you did.

OOS submitted on 7/10 complete on 7/12, nothing yet

Rejected. Not sure why, because I'm in state 3.99 515

Reactions: 4 users
when i look at the portal it says still under review not sure if there'll be a change there soon

holy moly... have they even sent out IIs to anyone yet?

Wow, they are rejecting some really qualified applicants. That's extremely intimidating

Reactions: 6 users