2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone get off the waitlist recently? I’m guessing classes/orientation started today? It would be awesome to get a hail Mary this week :clap: else it’s off to the Carib for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone get off the waitlist recently? I’m guessing classes/orientation started today? It would be awesome to get a hail Mary this week :clap: else it’s off to the Carib for me.
Give it another go. Don’t go to the Carib

Reactions: 2 users
Give it another go. Don’t go to the Carib

I was given a scholarship that evens the cost to ACOM. Did my research and I think it’s going to be better for me than applying again for the 3rd time. I only applied to DO once but I cannot rationalize getting waitlisted again at 35.

Still hoping ACOM will pull me off last minute though

Members don't see this ad :)

Class starts today??
I emailed bob last week and he told me if I didn’t get anything from them by that Friday then it’s most likely the end of this cycle

Class starts today??
I emailed bob last week and he told me if I didn’t get anything from them by that Friday then it’s most likely the end of this cycle

I could be wrong but this was the week it started last year.

I was given a scholarship that evens the cost to ACOM. Did my research and I think it’s going to be better for me than applying again for the 3rd time. I only applied to DO once but I cannot rationalize getting waitlisted again at 35.

Still hoping ACOM will pull me off last minute though

I feel your frustration (I’m early 30s), but if you were good enough to get a DO interview you are good enough to get in somewhere. Highly encourage you to try once more.

During orientation today, it was announced that someone just got pulled off the waitlist this morning.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you heard anything else about more drops?
It’s too late even if there were. At least when I was a student it was a requirement to be at all days of orientation. They said on the first day that regardless if anyone dropped during orientation week then no one else could come

I am curious as too how many students they ended up taking because they said they would only take 180 because “responsible growth”. In other words they didn’t have the rotation sites since vcom auburn had taken a lot. But then the dean retired and I started hearing whispers of taking the full 210

The class has 192 students we were told at orientation.
That’s good. Are they keeping mandatory attendance? I haven’t heard otherwise but it’s the Dean and associate dean that just left who were the biggest proponents of it. Curious to see if with new blood that will change

That’s good. Are they keeping mandatory attendance? I haven’t heard otherwise but it’s the Dean and associate dean that just left who were the biggest proponents of it. Curious to see if with new blood that will change
Yes but it went down to 60% from the previous 80%.

Yes but it went down to 60% from the previous 80%.
From what I remember this was them trying to blur the lines. Cause we had 80% of all lectures including the DSAs but then they switched it to 60% of only the lectures you attend in person, not DSAs. Which depending on the ratio of DSAs to lectures is a worse deal. DSAs made up a good amount of total lectures allowing me to skip more than 40% of in person lectures, most blocks.

Hello everyone and sorry for the bump!
I am an incoming student for the class of 2025 and I was looking to connect with upperclassman. I am wanting to match a surgical specialty so I am wanting any advice you all would be able to provide.
For example: any professor to get involved with regarding research, groups to join, ways you have made your CVs more competitive.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!