2017 UCSF pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I get what your saying. Did the things that the essay's ask about happen in your life?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it'll harm you. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to fill it out because the admissions committee will be able to read through any BS that's there. I left them blank too so don't worry haha

Are on campus apartments generally less expensive? If you don't mind me asking, how much is your current rent?

I live on campus in a 4br/2bath for $880 with utilities and internet and I think it's a fine deal. I definitely know of classmates paying less, but I also know of classmates paying more.

do u guys think leaving the optional essays blank like the ones about socioeconomic status etc will harm us??

I am going to direct you to Joel's response from his blog.

Dear Joel, I was wondering if you recommend answering the optional essays on the supplemental application. If you do not answer them will that hurt your chances of receiving an interview?

Good question. When I started this blog back in 2008, I posted specifically about the "Statements of Educational Opportunity" portion of our application. What I blogged about then still holds true today. It would be easy for me to just cut/paste a link to that blog post here -- but I'd rather you go back and find it (because you might find some other interesting insight/posts/hints/treasures along the way!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I live on campus in a 4br/2bath for $880 with utilities and internet and I think it's a fine deal. I definitely know of classmates paying less, but I also know of classmates paying more.

Hahaha I'm one of those classmates paying more! I also live on-campus in a 2bd/1ba for $1000 per month, utilities and internet included. I think it's a fine deal too :) The higher cost can be traced back to the fact that I live in Parnassus on-campus housing, which means my commute to class takes 5 minutes, up to 8 minutes if I run into elevator traffic (no joke, it happens). But some of our classmates have off-campus single bedrooms for as low as $750 a month, and you can find shared on-campus bedrooms in Parnassus for around $550 a month. It can be affordable if you look for it!

submitted last night. I'm so nervous. I keep thinking I might make some mistakes in the application.

Not to worry! When I was reading through my UCSF supplementals after submission, I found that I had omitted a word in one of my essays--darn our brains for automatically filling in those gaps. But it's understandable that mistakes happen, as long as there are not too many to strike a noticeable impression.

do u guys think leaving the optional essays blank like the ones about socioeconomic status etc will harm us??

Many of you may have probably submitted your supplementals by now, but my rule of thumb is that if you don't need the optional essays to justify something significant in your application, leave them blank.

Also, congratulations on submission! GOOD LUCK! We're rooting for you all!

Oh, and Happy Halloween :)

Hahaha I'm one of those classmates paying more! I also live on-campus in a 2bd/1ba for $1000 per month, utilities and internet included. I think it's a fine deal too :) The higher cost can be traced back to the fact that I live in Parnassus on-campus housing, which means my commute to class takes 5 minutes, up to 8 minutes if I run into elevator traffic (no joke, it happens). But some of our classmates have off-campus single bedrooms for as low as $750 a month, and you can find shared on-campus bedrooms in Parnassus for around $550 a month. It can be affordable if you look for it!

Nice! Now that sounds doable :)

hmm do u guys thinks its bad to use the optional essay of the biographical statemetns to explain a lower GPA ( i have a 3.4) and the obtacle i had during college?

Two supplemental essays to write.
Seven hours to do it.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

LEZZZGOOO!

Edit:
...And the site's currently down. Ugh.

Last edited:
hmm do u guys thinks its bad to use the optional essay of the biographical statemetns to explain a lower GPA ( i have a 3.4) and the obtacle i had during college?

Not if it's a serious obstacle.

Two supplemental essays to write.
Seven hours to do it.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

LEZZZGOOO!

Edit:
...And the site's currently down. Ugh.

Isn't it hard to write a thoughtful response under those time constraints?

Isn't it hard to write a thoughtful response under those time constraints?

Yeah, but that's the least of my problems as of now :( The site's been denying me access for three hours...

Last edited:
Is anyone submitting the essay last minute? I am trying to submit now but the website seems to be crashing.....I am a little worry

cheepcheep: I called UCSF and they said just keep trying....do you think they will do anything about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
cheepcheep: I called UCSF and they said just keep trying....do you think they will do anything about this?

I really really hope so :( Right now I'm just trying to zip through these essays haha.

Also, 12am Pacific Time is 3 am Eastern Time right? I'm confused as to why the countdown timer sets the deadline at 12:00 am Eastern Time...

Anyone know what time frame they give out who made the interview and who didn't?

I currently cannot sign in either.

The website was like this last night as well, and I was up until 4am. All I have left to do is submit the payment. I knew I should have done it last night, but I wanted an extra day to think about my essays, sigh.

I still have no luck.......I visited Joel's blog and saw his messages about warning us on technical difficulties.....I wanted more time to work on the app since it's not rolling....I feel stupid.... :(

Is this the first year UCSF has online supplemental?

I was going to edit something I entered last night, but at the rate this is going, I'd rather just see mine submitted, but fear not!

I somehow managed to log in and submitted my payment. The last page is currently giving me problems (as is the rest of the site), but constant refreshing in multiple tabs really does help. One of them has to work, right?

I was going to edit something I entered last night, but at the rate this is going, I'd rather just see mine submitted, but fear not!

I somehow managed to log in and submitted my payment. The last page is currently giving me problems (as is the rest of the site), but constant refreshing in multiple tabs really does help. One of them has to work, right?

Really? Won't this exacerbate the traffic problem?

Really? Won't this exacerbate the traffic problem?
It probably does, but I managed to finally submit my application doing so.

Once I was logged in, I had a couple open tabs of each section I needed, in my case, Payment and Submit and refreshed until something loaded.

20 min ago i was at least able to log onto apply.ucsf.edu... now it doesn't even load.............................

It probably does, but I managed to finally submit my application doing so.

Once I was logged in, I had a couple open tabs of each section I needed, in my case, Payment and Submit and refreshed until something loaded.

I see... Well, time to try the same thing. =/ I hope I can pull all the way through within the next 5 hours.

are you guys just getting the error message or were you able to see the log in info? I wonder if it is only the couple of us having problem...

me too, earlier I was able to see the login info, now it;s just the error message

I don't think we have 5 hours left... we just have 2 hours left right? Because about 4 hours ago I was on the website logged in and everything before it had problems, and the countdown said 6 hours left... so now we only have 2.... greaaatttt

Yup... I should've done a complete all nighter and turned this in this morning >_<

i was able to log on but it's almost impossible to click on any other links... =/ and we still have 4 hrs and 49 min!!

i was able to log on but it's almost impossible to click on any other links... =/ and we still have 4 hrs and 49 min!!

i just logged on too but can't click anything but I saw the timer says 2 hours!

I can log in, but I can't get any of my essays to save! Anyone else having this problem?

We definitely have until midnight tonight Pacific time, but idk if or when it will work again. The server crashed earlier literally AS I pressed submit. Naturally, I'm freaking out :(

EDIT: IT WORKED!!! literally right after I posted this. apparently it was submitted earlier even though the confirmation page didn't show up. Keep trying everyone!!! good luck!

Last edited:
The site worked well for me in the last 2 minutes, and I finally submitted! For reference, it took me 2.5 hrs to log in, paste my essays, save them, pay, and submit. Good luck!

Worked for me too!!! It took me 3 hours to login, but it seems the site is finally done scaring the procrastinators.

Worked for me too!!! It took me 3 hours to login, but it seems the site is finally done scaring the procrastinators.

Nope. There's still one more procrastinator who's scared out of her pants right now. :scared:

is anyone else having problems editing their profile information?

when I try to submit my application it says I didn't fill out the question about my military status, but when I go to my profile and select "edit" it only lets me change my email address and/or password??

:scared::scared:

anyone else?

can someone check with their profile to see if they can edit this information?

If I end up not being able to submit because of something like this, I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight....

I'm getting the same error! It's driving me insane. I've paid my fee and everything is ready to go except for that military service error it's given me. I've tried every which way to fix it but I just get the password edit as well.
I emailed them so hopefully they will accept my application, otherwise I will be crushed. Thanks for posting this I thought it was just my app. Sorry it's happening to you but at least there is comfort in knowing it's their system.

I'm getting the same error! It's driving me insane. I've paid my fee and everything is ready to go except for that military service error it's given me. I've tried every which way to fix it but I just get the password edit as well.
I emailed them so hopefully they will accept my application, otherwise I will be crushed. Thanks for posting this I thought it was just my app. Sorry it's happening to you but at least there is comfort in knowing it's their system.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad that someone else is experiencing the same problem! if there are two of us, there are probably quite a few more.

they say they won't accept any late applications, regardless of technical difficulties, but I wonder if that includes issues with their actual website?? I'm thinking of filming my screen as I try to fill out the information just to show them that it doesn't work...

I don't know if I should be happy or sad that someone else is experiencing the same problem! if there are two of us, there are probably quite a few more.

they say they won't accept any late applications, regardless of technical difficulties, but I wonder if that includes issues with their actual website?? I'm thinking of filming my screen as I try to fill out the information just to show them that it doesn't work...

Please do!! I e-mailed them but I'm not sure if they will have any sympathy....

Something must have gotten messed up when the server crashed? I filmed mine, just in case. I will keep trying until midnight. If I figure out something that works I'll post it. Good luck!

Please do!! I e-mailed them but I'm not sure if they will have any sympathy....

can do. you should film yours as well. the more people that do this, the better chance we'll have of not being shut out!

well, looks like I couldn't submit it because of the "military service" quesiton that I couldn't edit... I guess we'll find out in the morning if they make an exception. Do you two who had problems think that we will be excused with this technical difficulty? It was something wrong with their system...

Had the same "military service" problem. So frustrating, esp. after writing all those essays. I hope they fix this before midnight or give an exception.:(