2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was basically straight up told at my feedback that descriptions of what you did/summaries were the reason I didn't get an interview. Of course it's n=1 for that school, but my take was they don't want to know what you did, they want to know why it's important in terms of become a doctor/ what it meant to you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I did write extensive descriptions of what I did and why for my ECs on AMCAS when I applied. And I do think it was helpful to do. The adcoms can always not read your explanations if they don't care about them, but if you don't write them, they can't make that choice any more, right?

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone post one example so we can all see?? 700 is not that much to write details of a jobs and how it help you become a doctor per say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone post one example so we can all see?? 700 is not that much to write details of a jobs and how it help you become a doctor per say.

I'd rather not post things here but as I've said I'm happy to PM you (and anyone else).

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think I still have a copy of my AMCAS any more, but I'll check.

Edit: Well, I did not find my AMCAS, but I did find this little blast from the past. I took the MCAT in August 2004, which was before it was computerized and while it was still being offered only twice per year.

My letter to AAMC said:
Dear AAMC staff,

My friends and I are confused about the percentile rank ranges. It says that 0.0% of testtakers scored a 42 or higher. So I assume that means that less than 0.05% of people must have earned those scores. Other people have told me that no one earns the top scores. Could you please tell me whether anyone earned the highest scores, and if so, how many people earned a 42, 43, 44 or 45?

Thank you

AAMC reply said:
Of 34,387 examinees, 8 scored 42, 2 scored 43, none scored 44 or 45.

One of those two 43s was mine.

I don't think I still have a copy of my AMCAS any more, but I'll check.

Edit: Well, I did not find my AMCAS, but I did find this little blast from the past. I took the MCAT in August 2004, which was before it was computerized and while it was still being offered only twice per year.

One of those two 43s was mine.
Thank you for not applying during my cycle ;)

One of the physicians I shadowed had a son who scored a 42 or 43 and "only" got into 2 schools (plus one wait list). So while that score is incredible, I'm not sure it necessarily opens as many doors as it would seem.

Regardless, @QofQuimica, I am impressed :)

You need to open an MCAT prep course in your spare time!

One of the physicians I shadowed had a son who scored a 42 or 43 and "only" got into 2 schools (plus one wait list). So while that score is incredible, I'm not sure it necessarily opens as many doors as it would seem.

Regardless, @QofQuimica, I am impressed :)

You need to open an MCAT prep course in your spare time!
If a good test score is all that someone has going for them, then you're 100% correct: it doesn't open as many doors as it would seem. Adcoms want to see the whole package: high stats AND great PS, ECs, LORs, etc. AND. Not OR.

I taught and tutored MCAT prep classes for Kaplan all through grad school and part of med school. (In fact, one of the residents here told me they took one of my MCAT classes several years ago, which weirded me out just a bit.) Now I'm too far out to teach it any more (they've changed the test significantly since I took it). Plus, it wouldn't be worth it for me financially now.

If a good test score is all that someone has going for them, then you're 100% correct: it doesn't open as many doors as it would seem. Adcoms want to see the whole package: high stats AND great PS, ECs, LORs, etc. AND. Not OR.

I taught and tutored MCAT prep classes for Kaplan all through grad school and part of med school. (In fact, one of the residents here told me they took one of my MCAT classes several years ago, which weirded me out just a bit.) Now I'm too far out to teach it any more (they've changed the test significantly since I took it). Plus, it wouldn't be worth it for me financially now.

Yea, I think this kid's ECs were lacking based on what the dad told me.

Oh I meant that you should have designed your own prep curriculum - like how people can buy Kaplan/Examkracker books, would have been neat if there was a QofQuimica option as well.

I can see how it wouldn't be worth it now financially but just think of all those lovely book royalties trickling in each month :-D (j/k - I took the MCAT about 18 months ago and I wouldn't trust myself to even tutor for free now!)

Yea, I think this kid's ECs were lacking based on what the dad told me.

Oh I meant that you should have designed your own prep curriculum - like how people can buy Kaplan/Examkracker books, would have been neat if there was a QofQuimica option as well.

I can see how it wouldn't be worth it now financially but just think of all those lovely book royalties trickling in each month :-D (j/k - I took the MCAT about 18 months ago and I wouldn't trust myself to even tutor for free now!)
Writing a book isn't as easy as it might seem either. I wrote and published mine while I was in medical school. It was a lot of work, and alas, it did not make me rich. I kind of would like to write another book, but if I did, I'd do a dystopic thriller this time, not nonfiction. I'm thinking along the lines of Daniel Suarez. All four of his books are great, by the way, if you're looking for some summer reading or something to bring with you on interview trips. Highly recommend.

If any of the rest of you have good sci fi or fantasy books to recommend, feel free. I'm always looking for more suggestions. :)

If any of the rest of you have good sci fi or fantasy books to recommend, feel free. I'm always looking for more suggestions. :)

I really like Paolo Bacigalupi's sci-fi, particularly his short story collection. I wish he'd write more.

Also just read Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey, which was more "thrilling space opera" than anything else but was very entertaining.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both transcripts are in! Whew my college transcript got me worried for a bit there...

So when is it acceptable to start bugging your LOR writers about their letters? I know some of them just finished up finals last week so I'm trying to be understanding... But I'm impatient haha :angelic:

I really like Paolo Bacigalupi's sci-fi, particularly his short story collection. I wish he'd write more.

Also just read Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey, which was more "thrilling space opera" than anything else but was very entertaining.
Have you heard of Ready, Player One? It's 80s pop culture video game sci-fi so I dunno if that's what you're looking for but it was awesome! The graphic novel Saga is one of my favorites too.

@HopefulPilot How do you have 8 for aacomas??? I can only have 6 maximum LOR. They wouldn't let me add more. And I do need to add my work LOR as well :(. I didn't know

You got me beat, the JST put me at 7. Stupid moving every 2 years.

Well 9 with JST... wasn't counting that because its not a real school and it was so surprisingly easy to send to AMCAS. Its not required for AACOMAS correct?
Oh wow but very true. It was super easy to send. Not sure about AACOMAS, I haven't started that application yet.

Checking in with you other brave souls. 27 and i've been on this path since 2013. Its very surreal being in the process of completing AMCAS & AACOMAS after all this time. Good luck to the rest of us non-trads!

Reactions: 4 users
Checking in with you other brave souls. 27 and i've been on this path since 2013. Its very surreal being in the process of completing AMCAS & AACOMAS after all this time. Good luck to the rest of us non-trads!
welcome and good luck !!

We get an email from AMCAS when they receive a transcript, correct? I do not trust my undergrad AT ALL. They just took 2 weeks to tell me that they had the wrong birthday on file for me and I will need to put in a new transcript request now that its been sorted out.

We get an email from AMCAS when they receive a transcript, correct? I do not trust my undergrad AT ALL. They just took 2 weeks to tell me that they had the wrong birthday on file for me and I will need to put in a new transcript request now that its been sorted out.

In general, you are supposed to get an email when your transcript is received and indexed - however, according to the representative I spoke with today, they have been having issues this past week where people were not getting the emails automatically. (This is something that was brought up at their weekly meeting). Either way, if you log in and check the status through your application, the status there for each transcript is correct. So if you haven't gotten an email but your application says a transcript was received, don't worry about the lack of email.

Btw, just as an FYI to anyone still waiting for their transcripts to be marked as received:

I had a lovely long conversation with the representative. Two out of my three transcripts were marked received ages ago but the third transcript, requested at the same time as the other two, was not marked yet. Since the login screen for AMCAS said as of this morning, the 17th, they were processing transcripts they received as of the 13th (and I had my transcript requested on the 4th and confirmed with that school that it was actually mailed out), I was a little worried and figured I'd call in (anyways, today marked the 10th business day so I figured I had been patient enough!).

The woman told me I could go ahead and request another transcript from that school (not so easy since of course, it's the one school I had to go to in person). She wasn't sure why they didn't receive it but told me if I was going to request it today, to call in early next week to see what was going on if they hadn't received the second one by then. So it seems as though they aren't too strict on having us wait the 10 business days each time.

I do suspect that there's a possibility that the school didn't include the transcript request form that I gave them (though I explicitly told them to- but they are not the, um, most savvy at that school). So today, when I put in the second request at that school, I wrote in three places to include it. I'm really hoping it goes through this time, I will be so sad if it's the only thing holding me back from submitting in early June!

The AMCAS woman told me something kind of crazy though. When I told her I wished I could just pick up the transcript and bring it in myself (which I knew I couldn't, it was just wishful thinking), she told me their policies are so strict that if one of the other floors in their building receives a transcript from the mailman by mistake and tries to walk the sealed piece of mail down to the correct floor, the verification department won't accept it - and, wouldn't notify the applicant either. Isn't that nuts?

My big takeaway lesson is that if you have been sitting and waiting on a transcript, it might very well be worth trying to send it again. The representative I spoke with told me it's not a problem if they receive a few transcripts from the same institution (as long as you use the same transcript request form of course).

What a frustrating process, no? So completely out of our control.

Oh goodness, this is kind of crazy - just got the email that my third transcript was received! Like I literally, two minutes ago, just got the email. Woo hoo!

thanks for the info. I reordered 4 transcripts a couple days ago to be safe and had 2 of the 4 show up since (1st time orders). Still waiting on two schools, one of which is my alma mater that has graduation this week....:help:

Oh boy, I hope they get the remaining two out soon! Graduation is going to cause hordes of transcript requests to start pouring in. Did you try calling the registrar of those two schools? Usually they keep records of when transcripts are sent out.

I'm 99% sure one school has already delivered because it showed up in AACOMAS yesterday. Probably should call West Point. Although, its a small graduating class and they all go on 2 months leave immediately after graduation so there shouldn't be too bad of a spike in requests.

West Point - wow!!

If AACOMAS received it already, you should be okay for AMCAS pretty soon, I would think.

Noob question alert: I am not applying this cycle, can I make an account and log in to AACOMAS just to see how things are set up?

yes you can - you can even start filling it out so it less to do next year. Good Luck everyone...3 time around - life just keep getting in the way.

I totally paid for the service 90.00 and all i had to so is wait for them to fill in. I was cursing AMCAS the entire 2 hours it took me to enter in 6 transcripts. Just have wait for MCAT to come then click submit...everything else is done.

Interfolio has been a life saver - cause AMCAS accept LOR from there and then you always have running file LOR (you can even organize and label them). Most of DO school accept them that way as well directly to school.

He isn't on sd.net but today one of my classmates told me about his friend applying this cycle to 80 schools. 40 MD and pretty much all the DO schools.

He isn't on sd.net but today one of my classmates told me about his friend applying this cycle to 80 schools. 40 MD and pretty much all the DO schools.

That's nuts. If his app is really that weak, he should take an extra year or two to shore it up and then apply with a better app to a reasonable number of schools in a future year. I applied to around 20 schools. It was way overkill; in my case, 10-15 would have been plenty. Of course, that's easy for me to say now, in hindsight. But there is no one on this planet who should be applying to 80 schools. NO ONE. Even an average, plain vanilla applicant should max out at 25-30 apps tops, and if that's really not enough, then they aren't ready to be applying yet at all.

I have a tentative list of 40 schools that I plan to pare down to 25ish based on what my MCAT score ends up being.

Who's applying to the most/fewest schools? I'm at 16 MD/DO.
3 MD, 1 DO. Will change after I get my scores back in August so I will pre-write some secondaries afterwards depending on how I feel about the MCAT.

3 MD, 1 DO. Will change after I get my scores back in August so I will pre-write some secondaries afterwards depending on how I feel about the MCAT.
Probably better if you apply more. If you look at the reapplicant forum, most make mistakes by applying late or too few. Learn from it imo. For me, I'll apply as many as I can LOL. 12 years ago, my grades were really bad.

Probably better if you apply more. If you look at the reapplicant forum, most make mistakes by applying late or too few. Learn from it imo. For me, I'll apply as many as I can LOL. 12 years ago, my grades were really bad.

I am very aware of the mistakes of applying late and selectively but I have a few circumstances that I am allowing to narrow down my selection. I took those circumstances and then limited it primarily based on school mission, primary specialties, methods of teaching, and ties to the schools/community. I have received feedback from 3 of the 4 schools I am applying to and each have provided a great depth of insight as to how I would be an exceptional candidate for their school as long as I can get the appropriate MCAT score. Received the same feedback from some of their prior ADCOMs who now teach/work in communities where I serve or have served. Depending on how my score comes back, or if I end up postponing and taking it in September will shape the decision of schools to apply for this cycle (next cycle if Sept) and implications for my family (though they are very supportive, minus the youngest who doesn't understand quite yet).

80? That's crazy!

If his application is weak enough that he feels the need to apply to that many schools then he definitely isn't competitive enough to overcome instate bias. To apply to that many schools he must be applying to some state schools or other schools with a local bias. Big waste of money. With that many applications I hope he gets in somewhere. His secondaries are gonna be a killer.

Anyone having problems with timeline of jobs after high school? I can't recall a specific month for one of them.

I've met a person who applied to ~40 MDs/DOs. Accepted to two MDs and a few DOs as well so good for her. But 80?!?!? Geeeez where do you even find the money to pay for that many secondary fees o_O

And I'm applying to 21 schools. 16 or so are SDN approved picks (WAMC) while I've got a few reaches in terms of maybe being too top tier for me or not too OOS friendly.

For those who have already gotten transcripts in AMCAS, how long has it been taking between your package arriving at AMCAS and AMCAS marking it at received? I had my school overnight the transcript and it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow at 10 AM. I'm wondering when I might see my status changed.

Hello Everyone! A little excited and a little freaked out. This is my make or break cycle. 32- 3.39-3.55-518. Still trying to narrow down schools in MD. probably appy to 20 or so and 8 DO.

Does anyone have a tracking mechanism for the secondaries- Also any kind soul willing to read my PS and Critic it.

Does anyone have a tracking mechanism for the secondaries- Also any kind soul willing to read my PS and Critic it.

There's a secondary spreadsheet floating around here somewhere. I can give you feedback on overall impressions on the personal statement if no one else volunteers.

Attached is the spreadsheet I used last year.

Personal statement reader list is here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ment-guide-and-reader-list-2016-2017.1178488/

Attachments

• Application Spreadsheet SDN.xlsx
    29.8 KB · Views: 56
Anyone having problems with timeline of jobs after high school? I can't recall a specific month for one of them.

It's not life or death if you don't recall to the T. I had to approximate a few from many years ago as I had no practical way of digging up exact dates. As estimation of the month is fine.

For those who have already gotten transcripts in AMCAS, how long has it been taking between your package arriving at AMCAS and AMCAS marking it at received? I had my school overnight the transcript and it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow at 10 AM. I'm wondering when I might see my status changed.

From my experience it could take several days for a transcript to be marked as received, depending on the traffic level.

Transcript delivered today, and I got my notice from AMCAS same day! Woooop!

Reactions: 3 users
A note for DO folks -- Be sure you've manually released your MCAT score to AACOMAS, as it's not automatic (at least, it wasn't last year). I didn't realize I had to do that last cycle, and ended up delayed on being complete. Don't be me.

My application year plan is coming together! I got a job offer for an MCAT teaching position yesterday!