2017-2018 LECOM - Seton Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are rotations based on lottery? Class rank? It seems like there are lots of decent places to do rotations but I understand that there are also 500+ students.

Members don't see this ad.

Are rotations based on lottery? Class rank? It seems like there are lots of decent places to do rotations but I understand that there are also 500+ students.
According to the students during my interview, rotations are based on a mixture of GPA, availability and where the student government places you.

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew my II from here and LECOM-B for early November. Hope it goes to one of you!

Members don't see this ad :)

See my post on the first page of this thread. Long story short, you submit a rank list and student government sorts everyone out and does their best to minimize unhappiness. There are a few sites that are GPA restricted, and if your GPA is low enough your choices might be limited by being in "alpha group" as they want to give you more time to study for Step/Level 1 and also keep an eye on you.

For full disclosure, I'm a fourth year and did this process a few years ago now-- the details may have changed, but the general principle hasn't.

The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.
Interviewed 8/24.

Everyone else getting their decisions today too?

Reactions: 1 users
The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.
Interviewed 8/24.

Did you sign up for early decision?

Interviewed 8/24.

Yep.. Its about time! Now to stalk the mail man for the next few days :confused:

Had to last second withdraw my II for next Monday, maybe there's an opening next week now :shrug:

Accepted! Withdrawing though. Hope one of y'all gets it!

Accepted! Dont usually post these things, but if anyone here is a current student and has time to PM me about their experience it would be great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! what airport did you guys fly into for the interview? pittsburgh?

Hi everyone! what airport did you guys fly into for the interview? pittsburgh?
I flew into Pittsburgh, I know they have an airport in Greensburg as well, the tickets into that airport were just more expensive for me. It's about an hour drive from Pittsburgh to Greensburg, depending on traffic, so it wasn't too bad. I would just check to see which airport is less for you! Good luck on your interview!

Does anyone know if one is to be accepted here can you switch your acceptance to the erie campus? And also I am a bit nervous about my interview coming up can anyone provide any information or pointers on how to prepare or what to expect?

Does anyone know if one is to be accepted here can you switch your acceptance to the erie campus? And also I am a bit nervous about my interview coming up can anyone provide any information or pointers on how to prepare or what to expect?

Just got an II signed up for Jan. 3. Any tips on the interview or information on format? This late in the cycle is it for a waitlist position?

When you are the interview you'll be able to rank which campus/pathway you'd like to pursue. It's a pretty relaxed group interview. My advice would be to make sure you play well with others during the interview- incorporate the opinions of others into your discussion, memorize names if possible. I had pretty good luck being within the first 3 people to respond to a question- that way your answers don't sound as redundant.

Just got an II signed up for Jan. 3. Any tips on the interview or information on format? This late in the cycle is it for a waitlist position?

I don't think it'll be for a waitlist position, but it gets more competitive the longer into the cycle we go.

I don't think it'll be for a waitlist position, but it gets more competitive the longer into the cycle we go.

Awesome. How does a group interview work? Do you know how many they interview vs. accept?

Awesome. How does a group interview work? Do you know how many they interview vs. accept?

I was led into a room with my other interviewees (I had 5 total in my group, but I think that was smaller than normal) and then had two interviewers come in, in mine they asked an "introduce yourself" question followed by a few generic questions: Why PBL/Self based learning, Why DO, Why medicine and a few other that I can't remember. Basically whoever wanted to answer first would kick it off and you sorta just volunteer yourself when you see fit in the queue. I posted a bit more advice a couple posts up.

As far as acceptance rate? I saw 40% tossed around a while back in older forums, but I can't say that with any certainty!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been accepted into APAP at SH this cycle?

I have an interview scheduled for Friday, December 8th and would like to switch it to Wednesday, December 13th. If anyone has an interview on the 13th and would like to switch with me, please pm me.

Anybody have portal change for Seton Hill recently?

Still no change on my seton hill portal. Anyone else?
I do not have a portal change either. I wonder if they send decision letters without changing the portal if you interviewed at Seton Hill? The people that interviewed at Erie seemed to have gotten portal changes pretty quickly.

I do not have a portal change either. I wonder if they send decision letters without changing the portal if you interviewed at Seton Hill? The people that interviewed at Erie seemed to have gotten portal changes pretty quickly.
My portal changed on 11/8

For people who have interviewed, how long after your portal changed to “a decision has been made” did you get a notice of whether or not your were accepted? I interviewed 8/24 and did not do early decision, so I’m not sure when I should expect to hear

For people who have interviewed, how long after your portal changed to “a decision has been made” did you get a notice of whether or not your were accepted? I interviewed 8/24 and did not do early decision, so I’m not sure when I should expect to hear

What is the purpose of early decision and do you elect for it at the interview?

Any Accepted students making a fb page?

What is the purpose of early decision and do you elect for it at the interview?
Basically at the interview they gave us a paper where we elected either early decision or normal. If you chose early you would find out by October (in my case because I interviewed in August), but if accepted early you had to pay the $1500 deposit within 30 days to hold the spot. If you chose not to do early decision your application got deferred to a later date and you’d find out later, but I think you’d have more time for the deposit if accepted.

II (3.87/513) but declining it and withdrawing my application. Good luck everyone!

I interviewed here 3 weeks and haven’t heard anything concerning a decision. Has anyone heard a decision who interviewed in November?

I am interviewing Wednesday December, 13th. I am renting a car and driving from Pittsburgh early Wednesday morning. If you need a ride pm me.

I was put on the alternate list and sent back the signed paper confirming my interest, but I haven’t received any kind of confirmation from them/further information. Has anyone else on the waitlist had this problem? Did you get any confirmation/correspondence with admissions after sending the form?

Would anyone happen to know what textbooks we'll need for our first semester of classes here?

Would anyone happen to know what textbooks we'll need for our first semester of classes here?
I did not see the list in the preliminary packet they send post-deposit. I am sure they will give us plenty of time to grab them when they send more info in the Spring.

I interviewed early November and received my rejection letter earlier this week. It didn't sting as bad since i have an acceptance at a school which I ranked higher than this one. I have to admit though I do not understand how the interviewers are able to objectively analyze and score each applicant. None of the interviewers in my group took down notes whatsoever and I felt like having a group interview really prevents the real personality of each participant to arise. The campus is beautiful but to be honest it gave me the creeps lol. I felt like the tour was composed of walking through dungeons, kind of like Hogwarts. Anyway good luck to all of you still waiting to hear back.

Interviewed 12/19 at SH. It was really cool area and absolutely loved the whole feel of the area, Wasnt as impressed with the school as I hoped to be. The interview was interesting, I had a great group of people. but the interviewers (and other faculty and students) seemed really tired and exhausted but also kind of weary of the school. Hope to hear back soon. Any former students have any warnings about the school outside of PBL?

Just to clarify-- you interviewed during what is a really rough finals week for the first years, and a busy week for the second years, too. Kinda an even-higher-pressure version of finals week in college; everyone is tired and exhausted and that's kind of normal. Not to say everything is sunshine and roses all the time, but you caught students (and faculty) on a particularly bad day, I think.

I'm a fourth year now, so I can't give any recent info on the atmosphere, and can tell you even less about the admissions process. I can tell you that PBL has a steep learning curve especially during anatomy, but overall I'm a fan of the curriculum. Being in charge of my own learning was a good thing, even though you're studying a lot I liked the freedom of mostly studying on my own schedule, and it's kind of nice to study straight from reading since that's what you'll do for boards prep, plus that allows you to mostly avoid Death by Powerpoint. It sometimes feels chaotic while you're in the middle of it, but in retrospect it gave me a solid foundation for boards and for rotations. On the other hand, it really is what I like to call choose- your-own adventure, because you're in charge of your own reading and you'll do a LOT of it. Some people need more guidance, and that's totally okay, but means PBL isn't the ideal fit. But if you like the idea of learning through textbooks versus lectures and are able to keep yourself on a strict schedule one way or another, it's a great curriculum.

Yeah, I totally understand why they might have seemed tired! Thats what I thought. I think PBL will be a good fit for me because of the time I will have to manage. I like having a set goal to do on my own and at my own pace. I have really gotten into reading in my past gap year and have read so many different books. During undergrad, I got super used to just reading straight out of the book because many of my upper level classes were solely based on the textbook and were many times verbatim on the test. I have done especially well in learning on my own and understanding what is expected to me. As long as the chapters and learning points were given to me, I could study effectively. It especially came in hand while studying for the MCAT. The only thing that worries me is if I don't do well in PBL then I might not have many option in terms of changing. I might, like many others, believe that I might be a good fit for it but what if its not the case when I get there? Sometimes I like having a lecture based classroom experience. But when it came to higher level concepts and classes, I ALWAYS ended up going back to the book to read over the concepts and study for the tests.

Maybe another thing that added to my concern about the campus was the weather. The campus itself was beautiful (however LECOM facilities were kinda lacking but I guess that how they save a ton of money), but it was raining and I got this weird Witch Trials of Salem/Nightmare Before Christmas vibe from it so it threw me off. But it was beautiful! I love the rain and the cold, northern weather is my favorite. I guess it was the combination of different things that just made the whole campus melodramatically sad.

Also when I asked where LECOM was going at SH and what was the next step, the interviewers didn't seem too sure of what to say and mentioned that they were looking forward to their own building but nothing else. So I probably caught them on an off day. I asked them some other questions and they seemed like they weren't ready for them.

But the school seemed pretty straightforward. You go there to become a doctor and get out. I liked the simplicity and honesty of the faculty and staff. Everyone seemed down to earth and straightforward when they could be. there was no fluff or anything, which I appreciated.

Does LECOM require you to pass practice COMLEX tests before taking the actual COMLEX? if so, it might explain the high COMLEX scores they reported.
If PBL is a bad fit- as far as I know, very few people in my class (<5) ended up transferring out, wanting to transfer out or repeating. I think you can "jump ship" and switch to Erie after anatomy or after first semester, but it's been a few years so I'm really not sure anymore. Would be a good question to ask them in a follow-up email.
Weather - can't exactly come to the defense of Pennsylvania weather. I will say the Seton Hill campus is as dramatically beautiful in fall colors and springtime as it is melodramatically sad when it's windy and gross.
Where LECOM is going with Seton Hill - I don't know myself, to be honest. Almost all of our faculty are great, but some are more in tune with admin than others, and you might have run into some who don't have much more idea than I do. Or the question was vague and they were stumped and/or not 100% sure on what was public to announce. It happens to interviewers, not just interviewees ;).
Practice tests- yes, you have to get a 450 on COMSAE to take COMLEX. I don't know why SDN cares about this; it serves to protect students even more than it does to protect their average.

What was the turnaround time from the time you interviewed for an admission's decision for you guys?

For those students who were accepted a while ago, keep track of when you need to turn in all your immunizations and other forms! I’m not sure if this is true for most people, but mine is in March. Coming up fast.

About 1 month.

Does that one month include the time it takes for the letter to arrive? In other words, about one month after interviewing you received the letter with the decision?

Does that one month include the time it takes for the letter to arrive? In other words, about one month after interviewing you received the letter with the decision?
Correct. For me, I believe it was a couple days less than 1 month.