2017-2018 Johns Hopkins University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
where r u headed?

Harvard! And honestly for the sole reason that I am absolutely in love with Boston

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What did everyone think of Baltimore?

I already live here, so I may be a bit biased, but I really like it here! It's much safer than the media/The Wire would have you believe, or at least it is in the areas that you'll actually be in. I (a short female) go out walking through Mt. Vernon in the evenings/at night by myself and I feel safe.

The cost of living is lower than a lot of other similarly sized cities, and it's a doable to be here without a car. There's plenty of things to do, and it's also really easy to get to DC or other cities on the East Coast for a day trip or weekend trip!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
BTW: the JHU financial aid office is so helpful and willing to work with you. My parents' 2017 financial situation was drastically different than 2016 (<50% AGI) and they were happy to adjust my award package when I brought them 2017 tax info at SLW. Just got my updated package yesterday. I'm thrilled with their generosity, the fact that aid is guaranteed here for all four years, and the fact that I don't have to wait and re-apply for aid next year to get the 2017 info taken into account!

also, does hopkins drug test at the start of the year lol? asking for the proverbial friend

Anyone thinking of living at Waterloo apartments? They're a little farther away than 929 but there's a shuttle that takes people right to the school. I'm trying to decide whether the lower cost and additional space is worth the longer distance and potential FOMO. lol

Quick question- to commit, do we have to send any additional emails? Or just withdraw from every other school?

Current students- are you happy here?
N=1, but I'd say I'm pretty darn happy. Stress in an inevitable part of life and there's always ways medical schools can work to improve, but I've never felt like I was going to fall through the cracks. (Disclaimer: the following is solely my personal opinion).

My favourite parts of JHU thus far have been my faculty mentors, classmates, and (fairly) flexible schedule. So definitely an A++ on the people. Research abounds. The amount of time we get for step1 is generous. Our breaks are on the longer side. Elective credit is relatively easy to accrue. The college advising program is a cornerstone of M1 year. Some of my rotations have been an utter blast. Anatomy was well-taught and very enjoyable.

Room for improvement includes more financial aid/funding transparency, anonymous reporting (though they're finally opening the ombuds office), and standardizing clerkship experiences (most people get great experiences, but there'll aways be 2 or 3 people that get the short end of the stick – however this is not unique to JHU).

** Unsure how the curricula will change with their new (more flexible?) Step 1 scheduling. The school is shooting for people to get done with core rotations early, so that they don't take them late in MS4 or during interview season. This is just me speaking about my now-defunct curriculum. **

also, does hopkins drug test at the start of the year lol? asking for the proverbial friend

No testing! They do check your cholesterol though. ;)

Anyone thinking of living at Waterloo apartments? They're a little farther away than 929 but there's a shuttle that takes people right to the school. I'm trying to decide whether the lower cost and additional space is worth the longer distance and potential FOMO. lol

A good handful of people my year lived there during MS1-2 and there's a good cohort in Mt Vernon. Cost has been regarded as being pretty reasonable. A little older than the other apartment complexes, but by no means decrepit. I know some people jumped ship for the Park apartment complexes (Mt Vernon) or Jeff Sq (near campus) due to competitive sign-on deals, so that may also be worth a gander.

As someone anxiously waiting for Waitlist movement here, I want to wish everyone else on the WL good luck!

Does WL movement here normally start in mid-May?

Just got a call from Ms. Mazza! I got off the waitlist, hopefully they don't rescind my acceptance from the flat effect I had from being so shocked.

Reactions: 8 users
Just got a call from Ms. Mazza! I got off the waitlist, hopefully they don't rescind my acceptance from the flat effect I had from being so shocked.
+1. If it makes you feel better, the only thing I said was "yes" and "oh my god" x10

**edit: In case people want to know, I got the call around late morning EST.

Last edited by a moderator:

+1. If it makes you feel better, the only thing I said was "yes" and "oh my god" x10

**edit: In case people want to know, I got the call around late morning EST.

Yay!! Congrats to you both!!!

GOT THE CALL FROM MAZZA TODAY!!!! So excited!!!!

I'm rooting for everyone else on the Waitlist here!!!! Y'all got this!

Reactions: 3 users
Just accepted off the waitlist this afternoon!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if there is still WL movement or if it has slowed down? I'm not sure if I should go ahead and sign a lease for housing at another school.