2017-2018 Johns Hopkins University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year. 700 char

If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time. 700 char

List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college: 600 char

Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. 900 char

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. 1100 char

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. 900 char

Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience? 1100 char

The Admissions Committee values hearing about each candidate for admission, including what qualities the candidate might bring to the School of Medicine if admitted. If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician, feel free to write a brief statement in the space below. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity), or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it. 1100 char

If applying to the dual MD/MBA program, please describe your reasons for wishing to obtain this degree. 1100 char

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody, I'm an incoming M1. I won't be able to address questions about attending Hopkins yet but I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have about applications and the interview process.

Good Luck Everyone! :)

EDIT: Here is a podcast with the Assistant Dean of Admissions, Paul White. He gives some good advice on how to approach the Hopkins secondary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just commenting to get in on this thread. Good Luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming MS1. I won't be able to address questions about attending Hopkins yet but I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have about applications and the interview process.

Hi,
Congratulations on getting in last cycle!!

were you one of the earliest applicants? or were you complete at this school a little bit later?
How is the interview like?
This is one of my top choice because its in super nice program, good location (for my career goals), In-state 40 minutes from my parents!

were you one of the earliest applicants? or were you complete at this school a little bit later?

I would say that yes, I was one of the earlier applicants. I submitted my secondary in early July, was marked complete mid-August, and had an Early October interview.

How is the interview like?

Interviews occur at the end of the day (thankfully the day starts at 11:00, 10:00 if you do the housing tour, so you shouldn't be too tired). It occurs after the lunch and tour. You and everyone else in the interview group will meet in the same room that you gathered in during arrival. You're stationed there with 4-6 fourth year medical students who are there to answer your questions as well as assess you ("fishbowl"). I honestly would not stress out too much about this, if you have questions you'd like to ask then go ahead but if you don't have any, I wouldn't sweat it. I mostly listened to what others had to say and asked maybe 1-3 questions. Just make sure that you're not looking at your phone, sleeping, being rude, etc. One of these students will also act as your student interviewer. Depending on when your faculty interview is scheduled, one of the fourth years will let you know that they are your interviewer and will pull you aside for the student interview. This may be at the beginning of this "fishbowl" session or towards the end of it. Interviews are scheduled for 30-45 minutes but can go longer.

As for the interview itself. I would suggest that you go over your application and pay special attention to your responses to the JHU secondary questions. If you wrote about research, be able to explain it, if you discussed a specific experience be ready to go over it in detail. Be prepared for your interviewers to be familiar with your application and ask specific questions about your responses.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Question about secondaries.

Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. (900 char).
Do you think it would be appropriate to talk about how I learned piano and guitar to a pretty high degree of proficiency, without any formal instruction? Or are they looking for something clinically related, lab related, etc.

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (1100 char) – Are they asking for what speciality you're interested in pursuing, or more so "arena": i.e. academic medicine, private practice, public health, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Hi xialmos!
Do you think it would be appropriate to talk about how I learned piano and guitar to a pretty high degree of proficiency, without any formal instruction? Or are they looking for something clinically related, lab related, etc.

I think that would be a fantastic experience to write about, especially if it means a lot to you personally. If it was genuinely your most rewarding experience and you feel that you can write strongly about it, I say go for it!

Are they asking for what speciality you're interested in pursuing, or more so "arena": i.e. academic medicine, private practice, public health, etc.

You might find this podcast instructive. I personally talked about a subfield of medicine that I was interested in based on the research that I had done within said field. Accordingly, I chose to respond more along the lines of what specialty I might be interested in rather than what "arena". Just make sure that you've demonstrated that you've given the question a good amount of thought.

ALL THE BEST!!!

Last edited:
Hi xialmos!

I think that would be a fantastic experience to write about, especially if it means a lot to you personally. If it was genuinely your most rewarding experience and you feel that you can write strongly about it, I say go for it!

You might find this podcast instructive. I personally talked about a subfield of medicine that I was interested in based on the research that I had done within said field. Accordingly, I chose to respond more along the lines of what specialty I might be interested in rather than what "arena". Just be sure that you've demonstrated that you've given the question a good amount of thought.

ALL THE BEST!!!
Thank you, chief!!

Just curious, has anyone been offered an II without filling out this prompt?

The Admissions Committee values hearing about each candidate for admission, including what qualities the candidate might bring to the School of Medicine if admitted. If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician, feel free to write a brief statement in the space below. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity), or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it. (1100 char)​

I know I should probably write my diversity piece, but that's the weakest essay I have! :p
I never really trust "optional"...

Heyo, current MS3. Post-step and in rotationland, so I can try my best to offer some insight into life beyond preclinicals. We had some nice FAQs aggregated in previous JHU-specific threads, but now that I'm 3 years out from matriculation I think I'm woefully behind the times with respect to the application process.

Med school has its highs and lows, but the tl;dr is that I've had ~*no ragrets*~ about joining JHops. So far they've treated me pretty darn well; my mentors are truly remarkable and my classmates are A+++.

Good luck to all and don't overthink the application process! I know it's easy for me say since I'm so far removed from it, but just try to keep an open mind and enjoy the interview process – it can actually be a pretty fun journey.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi Everybody, I'm an incoming M1. I won't be able to address questions about attending Hopkins yet but I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have about applications and the interview process.

EDIT: Here is a podcast with the Assistant Dean of Admissions, Paul White. He gives some good advice on how to approach the Hopkins secondary.

What type of student does JHU look for? What would you say is the lowest possible stats that a URM should apply with? Given that EC's are great and research is decent. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
What type of student does JHU look for?

That's a difficult question. I'd defer to any MS4s on the admissions committee or to any current students.

From my limited interactions with Hopkins students, I'd say that in general they have been passionate and unique. Most of the students I've met are extremely accomplished in at least one facet of their application, be it research, academics, their profession, a sport, or some other hobby. They also tended to have varied interests outside of medicine. I would love to give examples but I don't want to single anybody out. Suffice it to say that the people I've met in the incoming class did really cool stuff! On the whole, I think Hopkins does a great job of selecting applicants who are not only "smart" but well-rounded and personable.

What would you say is the lowest possible stats that a URM should apply with? Given that EC's are great and research is decent.

I think that if you're interested in Hopkins, you shouldn't let your stats outright deter you from applying. In my experience Hopkins definitely takes your entire application into consideration before making a decision. You never know what could happen! That being said, if you are concerned about your numbers, I would highly recommend getting access to MSAR and looking at what the GPAs/MCAT scores in the 10th-25th percentile range are.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited:

Related to scores -- How do you think JHU (Do you call it JHops? I really want to call it JHops...) would look at a high MCAT/low GPA combo? My GPA is below the 10th percentile of admitted students (in the 3.5 range) but my MCAT score is solidly above the 90th percentile of admitted students. I have seen very few schools with such high median GPA statistics. I mean, it's crazy! The matriculated student GPA stats are actually higher than the accepted student stats. Probably because, who doesn't want to go to Hopkins if they are admitted? I have a good amount of research experience and am a non-trad so, while my MCAT score is from 3/31, I graduated from undergrad in 2014 so my GPA is olddddd. Would like to hear your thoughts

Related to scores -- How do you think JHU (Do you call it JHops? I really want to call it JHops...) would look at a high MCAT/low GPA combo?

Hey cuttlefish_deluxe91,

First off, CONGRATS on what must be a Super High MCAT score!!! That's awesome! Unfortunately, as I'm very new, I'm really not sure how the admissions committee would look at your application and it would be great if some upperclassmen could jump in. In my experience last cycle however, I really felt that Hopkins took every aspect of every application into consideration, nothing seems to be taken for granted in their reviewing process. In other words, I highly doubt that you'll be faulted for one aspect of your application, especially if you're at or above average in other areas. So if you think you're a good fit, I would definitely encourage you to apply.

And no, lol, I do not call it JHops. But I think you can call us whatever you want as long as you remember the s in Johns.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey cuttlefish_deluxe91,

First off, CONGRATS on what must be a Super High MCAT score!!! That's awesome! Unfortunately, as I'm very new, I'm really not sure how the admissions committee would look at your application and it would be great if some upperclassmen could jump in. In my experience last cycle however, I really felt that Hopkins took every aspect of every application into consideration, nothing seems to be taken for granted in their reviewing process. In other words, I highly doubt that you'll be faulted for one aspect of your application, especially if you're at or above average in other areas. So if you think you're a good fit, I would definitely encourage you to apply.

And no, lol, I do not call it JHops. But I think you can call us whatever you want as long as you remember the s in Johns.
Hey thanks Sub,

I appreciate the thoughtful response. Definitely going to start calling it JHops. Hopefully it catches on...like "fetch"

Hey thanks Sub,

I appreciate the thoughtful response. Definitely going to start calling it JHops. Hopefully it catches on...like "fetch"

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey cuttlefish_deluxe91,

Paging @hellanutella -- looking for a JHops "adult" to weigh in

Paging @hellanutella -- looking for a JHops "adult" to weigh in

Yo I totally have used JHops/JHop/Jimmy Johns Hopkins/Johnny Hops/Hons Jopkins/etc.

That said, I'm corrected every time. They take a lot of pride in the S after Johns. My parents used to call it "John Hopkin" – now they simply say "Hopkins" – so I expect it takes time to master.

Yo I totally have used JHops/JHop/Jimmy Johns Hopkins/Johnny Hops/Hons Jopkins/etc.

That said, I'm corrected every time. They take a lot of pride in the S after Johns. My parents used to call it "John Hopkin" – now they simply say "Hopkins" – so I expect it takes time to master.
Not going in a direction I like...

Secondary received just now. Wasn't sure if it was a secondary at first; the format of the email was so different from others. Anyway, prompts:
----
@Lucca

If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year. 700 char

If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time. 700 char

List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college: 600 char

Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. 900 char

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. 1100 char

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. 900 char

Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience? 1100 char

The Admissions Committee values hearing about each candidate for admission, including what qualities the candidate might bring to the School of Medicine if admitted. If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician, feel free to write a brief statement in the space below. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity), or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it. 1100 char

If applying to the dual MD/MBA program, please describe your reasons for wishing to obtain this degree. 1100 char

----
Also a few pages of entering family information, educational background, employment, activities, etc. Hope I got everything...

Secondary received! All look right @bootsandspooky :D Good luck everyone.

Some of the boxes for family info/education have so strict a character limit that I can't even type out the university or degree name. Guess I'm abbreviating :shrug:

How is that possible in 900 characters? Is anyone else having an issue with this one?

How is that possible in 900 characters? Is anyone else having an issue with this one?
I was initially. What I did that I found helpful was take the shortest version of my adversity essay and butcher it. Basically distilled the story to short, matter-of-fact sentences and was very direct about the lessons I learned. It might help to think of it as a synopsis of your adversity essay that will be a talking-point for interviews. It should get the message across but will probably need to be elaborated on later.

Was wondering why I hadn't received a secondary and realized I forgot to mark Hopkins on my primary. Adding it now. Thanks for catching that one guys!

What's the consensus on "hard returns"? I searched but found inconsistent information. Should we write our responses all in one paragraph? I saw someone said you can use soft returns by using Shift+Enter but only use one rather than two to separate paragraphs. Is this correct?

What's the consensus on "hard returns"? I searched but found inconsistent information. Should we write our responses all in one paragraph? I saw someone said you can use soft returns by using Shift+Enter but only use one rather than two to separate paragraphs. Is this correct?

n=1, but I looked at my application from last year and I did not use paragraph breaks at all (all of my responses were single paragraphs). Sorry, not sure about whether you're able to do soft/hard returns.

Last edited:
What are you guys writing for the "activities" section. There are like 20 spots for activities!!!!

Yah.... I mean I can't imagine they want us to come up with 20 more significant activities but ugggg so repetitive.
I know. I was super grumpy about it this morning but I did it and it only took about 15 minutes. Just pull up your amcas app, split screen and use that as your template. They only ask for basic info so it's pretty easy

If you haven't already done it, like @SubliminalNeuralgia , I entered my essays all as 1 paragraph

Anyone else think the activities section is very limiting with text?

Anyone else think the activities section is very limiting with text?
I just don't think that it's supposed to be hat detailed. They have our primary apps. What more could they want from us, other than our very souls?

Yes, currently having this problem. I'll have to shorten it severely

Yes, currently having this problem. I'll have to shorten it severely
yea I suppeerr briefly described the situation. Gave one sentence on what I learned and one on how it relates to medicine. It sounds kind of weird and choppy but I think that's unavoidable.

yea I suppeerr briefly described the situation. Gave one sentence on what I learned and one on how it relates to medicine. It sounds kind of weird and choppy but I think that's unavoidable.
Same here. I think I spent most characters on what I learned and only about 2 sentences about the situation

Does Hopkins Screen? Have been complete at them for a couple days but have yet to receive secondary. Hoping I am just being processed still :)

Does Hopkins Screen? Have been complete at them for a couple days but have yet to receive secondary. Hoping I am just being processed still :)
Next secondaries will be sent out July 17 according to their facebook page.

Might be a dumb question but for the photo upload does it want us to copy and paste our picture in a word document and upload it or can we just upload a jpeg image.

Might be a dumb question but for the photo upload does it want us to copy and paste our picture in a word document and upload it or can we just upload a jpeg image.
When I tried copying and pasting in a word doc, my file size got too big, so I just attached it as a jpeg

When I tried copying and pasting in a word doc, my file size got too big, so I just attached it as a jpeg
From the portal: "The file cannot exceed 600 KB in size and should be in .doc, .wpd, .rtf, .xls, .pdf, .docx, .xlsx, .txt, .jpg, .pict, .gif, .bmp, .tif or .png format."

PNG is always a safe bet because it is lossless, whereas JPEG can/will artifact.

Also joining this thread to answer any questions that I can. I just applied last cycle and have not started med school yet, but I can try to answer anything I might know from applying, interviewing and attending second look weekend at JHU (where I actually met SubliminalNeuralgia!)

From the portal: "The file cannot exceed 600 KB in size and should be in .doc, .wpd, .rtf, .xls, .pdf, .docx, .xlsx, .txt, .jpg, .pict, .gif, .bmp, .tif or .png format."

PNG is always a safe bet because it is lossless, whereas JPEG can/will artifact.

Also joining this thread to answer any questions that I can. I just applied last cycle and have not started med school yet, but I can try to answer anything I might know from applying, interviewing and attending second look weekend at JHU (where I actually met SubliminalNeuralgia!)

HEY! I was wondering when you'd jump in.

Reason #371 to come to Hopkins: we have SDN celebrities at our school.

Hey y'all! Incoming student here. Will help out as much as I possibly can.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm a non-traditional student and considering applying to Johns Hopkins, but based on the MSAR I feel like my stats are not good enough (3.4 GPA, 522 MCAT - 4.0 GPA in post-bac). Do you know of anyone who has gotten in with a less than stellar GPA if it had a significant upward trajectory? Should I still consider?