[2017-2018] Emergency Medicine Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's almost like we don't have this exact same conversation every year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Most of the SDN circle jerk programs would likely qualify. I can tell you the impression I got from places when I interviewed (and rotated at) not too long and from people I know at some of these respective programs: LAC+USC, Fresno, most of the Detroit programs, WashU in STL, U of Chicago esp with the new trauma center opening up, Advocate Christ, Temple, Baltimore programs, there are likely many other stellar places that I've missed.

I don't think these programs should be ranked above all other programs on your list, but when making a pros and cons list, trauma should be in the pro column for some of these respective programs.

Also, the truth of the matter is, and this is an unfortunate truth: the less desirable the city is to live in, the better trauma experience you are going to get. I remember this when ranking programs what a huge trade off it was. Live in SF which is a super cool city but relatively sterile from a trauma standpoint, or check out Detroit where residents come back to their cars in the parking lot and find bullet holes in them? Decisions decisions.

Again, it's a balance. You need to make the right decision for yourself and your family, but you should also put a huge emphasis on the quality of training you are going to get. Too often geography is the sole determining factor in terms of why applicants choose to go to one program over another, and I get it, it matters for family, kids, school districts etc. But you are really going to rank one program over another because of the rock climbing options or proximity to the beach? Doesn't make sense to me. Go get the best training for 3-4 years, your rock climbing skills may atrophy but you will pick it back up when you are done getting badass training. Maybe the people at Henry Ford don't have the best hipster beer scene, but when they get out of training they can probably handle anything that comes their way (full disclosure, I don't train at Henry Ford but I remember being very impressed by the residents when I did an away there).

IMO the four most important questions to ask (in no particular order) are:

1. Do I fit with the people and are they happy
2. Can I moonlight (a long time ago I thought this was a stupid question to ask but I now realize from a training standpoint how critical it is)
3. How sick are the patients i.e. trauma and what is the role of the ED in the management of those patients
4. What is best for my family/kids
Rank. Lists. Bro.

Reactions: 1 users
Most of the SDN circle jerk programs would likely qualify. I can tell you the impression I got from places when I interviewed (and rotated at) not too long and from people I know at some of these respective programs: LAC+USC, Fresno, most of the Detroit programs, WashU in STL, U of Chicago esp with the new trauma center opening up, Advocate Christ, Temple, Baltimore programs, there are likely many other stellar places that I've missed.

I don't think these programs should be ranked above all other programs on your list, but when making a pros and cons list, trauma should be in the pro column for some of these respective programs.

Also, the truth of the matter is, and this is an unfortunate truth: the less desirable the city is to live in, the better trauma experience you are going to get. I remember this when ranking programs what a huge trade off it was. Live in SF which is a super cool city but relatively sterile from a trauma standpoint, or check out Detroit where residents come back to their cars in the parking lot and find bullet holes in them? Decisions decisions.

Again, it's a balance. You need to make the right decision for yourself and your family, but you should also put a huge emphasis on the quality of training you are going to get. Too often geography is the sole determining factor in terms of why applicants choose to go to one program over another, and I get it, it matters for family, kids, school districts etc. But you are really going to rank one program over another because of the rock climbing options or proximity to the beach? Doesn't make sense to me. Go get the best training for 3-4 years, your rock climbing skills may atrophy but you will pick it back up when you are done getting badass training. Maybe the people at Henry Ford don't have the best hipster beer scene, but when they get out of training they can probably handle anything that comes their way (full disclosure, I don't train at Henry Ford but I remember being very impressed by the residents when I did an away there).

IMO the four most important questions to ask (in no particular order) are:

1. Do I fit with the people and are they happy
2. Can I moonlight (a long time ago I thought this was a stupid question to ask but I now realize from a training standpoint how critical it is)
3. How sick are the patients i.e. trauma and what is the role of the ED in the management of those patients
4. What is best for my family/kids

What? SFGH is the ONLY trauma hospital in SF, the second dense city in the country, and they see a near constant flow of very high level traumas including a high percentage of penetrating from the city's gang violence. When every GSW, major car/motorcycle accident, stabbing, etc in SF goes to the same hospital which is run by ONE EM residency, then there is no shortage of sick trauma.

Sorry for the disruption, but backhanded comments about programs you know nothing about is going to force lurkers out of the shadow to comment. Now, back to the ranks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What? SFGH is the ONLY trauma hospital in SF, the second dense city in the country, and they see a near constant flow of very high level traumas including a high percentage of penetrating from the city's gang violence. When every GSW, major car/motorcycle accident, stabbing, etc in SF goes to the same hospital which is run by ONE EM residency, then there is no shortage of sick trauma.

Sorry for the disruption, but backhanded comments about programs you know nothing about is going to force lurkers out of the shadow to comment. Now, back to the ranks.
For some reason, which I do not recall, I seriously dig what you say. I do NOT think that that is a "disruption".

Posting this here for OP of this post because there's no way to otherwise communicate with the person. If you have any interest in anesthesia, a specialty that makes bank with some overlap in EM, I would consider switching into an anesthesia rotation stat, telling the attendings you want a letter for residency, kicking ass, preparing a whole anesthesiology application, and being prepared for SOAP of anesthesia programs. There were like 20 open spots last year. it's just one of many ideas for you to prepare for your worst case scenario. if that OP wants to communicate with me further send me a PM.

Submitted anonymously via Google Form.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 200s, Step 2: 220s
EM rotation grades: H/H
Inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha: No
Medical school region: Southeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Decent research with 5 publications and a handful of case presentations. Involved with EM interest group since M1 year and a handful of other EM related ECs.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL:
Fit and wanted to go somewhere with a wide range of pathology.

1) University of Mississippi
Pros - I really love the faculty and staff here. Everyone is very friendly and easy to work with. New PD who seems to really be invested in improving the program. Great quality of pathology with lots of ED time built into the curriculum. Brand new sim lab that is just now finished and will be quite an upgrade from the older facilities.

Cons - Location is a turn off for some people and it's something I struggled with. ICU experience not great on all off-service rotations and only 4 months total (NSICU,PICU, SICU, and MICU).

2) West Virginia University
Pro - Spent a month here for an away rotation and really fell in love with the place. Debated a lot between putting them at #2 vs #1. PD really impressed me with how much she cares about the program and the residents. Ultrasound completely blew me away and very nice sim labs. A remodeled ED that is very well organized and will give them extra capacity when patient load surges.

Cons - Morgantown is a pretty small town so there are concerns for my SO being able to find a job. Some minor concerns for volume at the main site as a few of my night shifts I spent there at as a student were munch slower than I anticipated.

3) East Carolina University/Vidant Medical Center
Pros - The program presents itself as a place that you will see everything and learn to do it all. Great pathology and huge catchment area. I really liked how they have the ED divided into a lower and higher acuity pods with the higher acuity pod having close to 100% admission rate.

Cons - Greenville seems like a pretty small town and at the pre-interview dinner I was surprised at how quickly the resident left after they ate which created kind of a weird vibe.

4) WellStar- Kennestone in Marietta, GA
Pros - PD faculty seem really excited about the new program and there was an excitement in the air that made me want to learn more about the program. Seems to be a pretty high volume ED with plenty of sick patients. Potential to be a really great program and will be very interesting to see how well it works out.

Cons - New program. Unsure how well residents will integrate with all of current staff in the ED.

Rejected by: Vanderbilt, Carolinas, Cinci, UCLA-OV, Highland, Hennepin, Northwestern

Anything else to add?:
I'm a below average MD applicant and debated on rather to post this or not but am hopeful it will help people out in similar situations. No other red flags except for board scores with decent pre-clinical grades and better clinical grades. I was definitely one of those students who found the first two years incredibly difficult but really hit their stride during 3rd year. Applied to ~55 programs and only received 4 interviews with two of those being sites I rotated at. I talked to our school's adviser prior to ERAS opening and she recommended not applying to a back up specialty although I thought I should have. I regret that decision now but am prepared for the very real possibility of being forced to SOAP in which case I will do a pre-lim surgery year and then re-apply next year. I was hoping my two strong SLOEs would overshadow my board scores and at least give me more interviews than I received but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Applied to: Most programs in the Southeast
Invited to interview but declined: None

Note from @surely: I appreciate you sharing this perspective, and I'm crossing my fingers for you. Everybody loves an underdog story. Come back and celebrate with us when you match!

SFGH only sees 1,700 traumas per year (1.5 traumas per shift not exactly a near constant flow).

Fellowships - The Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma

Reactions: 2 users
Lets keep talking about traumas/year in a ROL thread, instead of posting..you know... ROLs.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 230s, Step 2: 220s
EM rotation grades: High Pass/Honors
Medical school region: Midwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: Gold Humanism; Nontraditional - former teacher

Couples Matching / Location

1) Case Western Reserve University/Metro Health Medical Center
2) HealthPartners Institute/Regions Hospital
3) University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics
4) McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
5) John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
6) Duke University Medical Center
7) Louisiana State University - New Orleans
8) Albert Einstein Medical Center
9) University of Virginia Health System
10) University of Illinois College of Medicine/St. Francis Medical Center at Peoria

Phenomenal program but significant other not a fan of their IM program so it goes lower on the list
11) Presence Resurrection Medical Center
Cons: The new Rush EM program means Presence does not have PICU month

Invited to interview but declined: Wake Forest

Last edited:

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 250s, Step 2: 260s
EM rotation grades: H/H/H
Inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha: Yes
Medical school region: Southwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: EM research, 3 publications, intramural sports

Fit, reputation, single so location not that big a factor

1) Carolinas Medical Center
Renowned faculty and reputation. Extensive alumni network and best jobs on the market academic or private open. Perfect balance of academic, county, and community patients. Not too many places where you will be taking care of blunt trauma, multiple GSW patients, pediatric congenital conditions, a LVAD patient, and your bread and butter community patient all in the same 10 hr shift. Single site to really get to know your team and hone your craft. Floor months and less vacation but personally for me that is a great trade off for the time spent not commuting for 3 years.

2) Los Angeles County - Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Mission to the undeserved is inspiring. Of all the programs in LA county torrance has the least traffic. Lots of residents live on the beach. Great balance of work life and wellness. 8 hr shifts with teaching shift changes sounds amazing. Wish there was more of a community rotation built in but residents moonlight in the community. Love how active their twitter account is.

3) Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
Amazing reputation in NY. Was told by adviser that it is the best 3 years in nyc. Love the bond between the residents that has developed from living in the same apartment complex. Great diversity and pathology with the multiple sites from lower east side beth israel to columbus circle mount siani west and the more county population for St. Lukes. Least amount of scutwork compared to other ny programs. Amazing fellowship and job placement. Program wasn't on my radar before and after asking around supposedly a top program. The not so hidden gem.

4) SUNY Downstate/Kings County Hospital
Big fan of the show Code Black. Not a fan of La county usc schedule. Next best is the usc la county of NY Kings county. If you can get through a place like this you can do anything from working in a rural village to an ivory tower. Much bigger emphasis on academics than expected. Love their funny blog.

5) Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center
Prefer New York to LA and the schedule for Kings county is better than USC. Other than that similar feels for kings county and usc la county.

6) Hennepin County Medical Center
Benefits of the 4 year county programs above but in a 3 year county program. Location not the best sadly for me. Watched too many youtube videos of the winters in minneapolis. Love the legacy of it being the 2nd oldest residency program and being the first to start the resuscitation rooms. They continue to do awesome things like ed echmo, tee, reboa and have so many ultrasounds. They said they designed the mindray and it was marketed off as being customized by hennepin. Pitboss role, autonomy, all the ortho dislocation and fracture reductions sound awesome.

7) McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
Love the legacy of this program as it is the 3rd oldest em residency and they continue to be super active in the academic world. Like their NUEM blog and their emphasis on meded. Chicago is not my favorite city sadly. Love the ED admin focus because that will be crucial to the future. Love the line that they train you to be a consumer, curator, and creator of medicine.

8) Stanford University Medical Center/Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
Awesome new changes with 4th year and new facilities and a bit worried about being the guinea pig. 25 years old and continuing to improve constantly. Hopefully they will allow for changes in the future to have more time at county.

9) Denver Health
Amazing reputation but not sold on 4 years just to have "clinical excellence" through high volume. Many of the programs above have high volume and also turn out residents that have amazing clinical acumen. Ultimately only thing that makes this place that much different in my mind is location and not any benefits of a 4th year.

10) Alameda Health System - Highland Hospital
Didn't vibe well with the faculty but loved the residents.

11) University of California San Francisco - San Francisco General Hospital
Program doesn't have the same alumni network as the other programs since it is only a decade old, i'm sure has great clinical training but nothing that makes it any better than the programs above, only reason to pick this program for me is if i wanted to live in SF, but i feel like i'd pick a residency for the future networking potential, fit and clinical training. Stanford has a similar feel but is older, has more community experience, and is making bigger changes.

Rejected by: MGH, Orlando Health, UT Austin Dell, Henry Ford, Boston U, Mayo

Invited to interview but declined: UF Jacksonville, UTSW, Emory, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Loma Linda

SFGH only sees 1,700 traumas per year (1.5 traumas per shift not exactly a near constant flow).

Fellowships - The Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma

Are you serious? Posting a link and grossly misinterpreting data to win a dumb argument on the internet, aren't you supposed to be a doctor? 1700 is the number of traumas that go to the OR/Admission, ie., the really sick ones, not the total number of traumas, which I can tell you tends to be 2-3/hr. Not to mention, this was an ad from 2 yrs ago.

Are you serious? Posting a link and grossly misinterpreting data to win a dumb argument on the internet, aren't you supposed to be a doctor? 1700 is the number of traumas that go to the OR/Admission, ie., the really sick ones, not the total number of traumas, which I can tell you tends to be 2-3/hr. Not to mention, this was an ad from 2 yrs ago.
To add to this: I rotated at UCSF as a Med student and saw thoracotomies of 3 consecutive overnight shifts at SFG. No shortage of penetrating trauma in SF. It’s a great program, I would have been psyched to match there.

Members don't see this ad :)

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 230s, Step 2: 220s
EM rotation grades: High Pass/Honors
Medical school region: Midwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: Gold Humanism; Nontraditional - former teacher

Couples Matching / Location

1) Case Western Reserve University/Metro Health Medical Center
2) HealthPartners Institute/Regions Hospital
3) University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics
4) McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
5) John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
6) Duke University Medical Center
7) Louisiana State University - New Orleans
8) Albert Einstein Medical Center
9) University of Virginia Health System
10) University of Illinois College of Medicine/St. Francis Medical Center at Peoria

Phenomenal program but significant other not a fan of their IM program so it goes lower on the list 11) Presence Resurrection Medical Center
Cons: The new Rush EM program means Presence does not have PICU month

Invited to interview but declined: Wake Forest
I’m very confused on why this applicant ranked Presence so low just because his/her SO did not like the IM program. There are like 10 other IM programs in the city of Chicago. Your couples match ROL does not have to be exact matches. You can rank both Presence (you) and Northwestern (your SO) as your number ones. Your SO’s opinión of the IM program should not factor into your rank list unless that is the only interview they received in the city of Chicago.

I’m very confused on why this applicant ranked Presence so low just because his/her SO did not like the IM program. There are like 10 other IM programs in the city of Chicago. Your couples match ROL does not have to be exact matches. You can rank both Presence (you) and Northwestern (your SO) as your number ones. Your SO’s opinión of the IM program should not factor into your rank list unless that is the only interview they received in the city of Chicago.

i believe that poster is talking about the University of Illinois-Peoria program as being the phenomenal program and the poster's SO doesn't like the IM
program there. The presence hospital in chicago does not have an internal medicine program.

i believe that poster is talking about the University of Illinois-Peoria program as being the phenomenal program and the poster's SO doesn't like the IM
program there. The presence hospital in chicago does not have an internal medicine program.
Aww, you’re correct, my mistake. Back to ROLs.

I never made any backhanded comment about UCSF/SFGH. It's a phenomenal program. But if you are comparing SF to Detroit in terms of penetrating trauma, or SF to the Southside of Chicago, you are clearly in denial.

I apologize for derailing the thread but someone asked me what programs I thought had strong trauma exposure and I gave a personal opinion. Didn't mean to tick people off. I will leave you to your rank lists now.

I rotated at one of the most trauma heavy programs in the nation. Almost everyday, there were multiple GSWs, stabbings, MVCs, etc. I saw and was part of many, many full trauma activations. Trauma is one of the most OVERRATED parts of EM training. Even the residents were getting sick of it. Extremely algorithmic. I'm sorry, it is what it is. There needs to be a balance of trauma and high acuity, high volume, medically sick patients and institutional mentorship/resources. I've had multiple friends rotate at UCSF and I interviewed there. It is definitely a top-tier program and fits that balance. My biggest regret posting this is that people might actually seriously reconsider what they're looking for in a program and rank UCSF higher. But the truth needs to be told. You trauma cowboys are delirious and drunk on the trauma kool-aid.

Yes, yes, I will post my rank list soon...

I rotated at one of the most trauma heavy programs in the nation. Almost everyday, there were multiple GSWs, stabbings, MVCs, etc. I saw and was part of many, many full trauma activations. Trauma is one of the most OVERRATED parts of EM training. Even the residents were getting sick of it. Extremely algorithmic. I'm sorry, it is what it is. There needs to be a balance of trauma and high acuity, high volume, medically sick patients and institutional mentorship/resources. I've had multiple friends rotate at UCSF and I interviewed there. It is definitely a top-tier program and fits that balance. My biggest regret posting this is that people might actually seriously reconsider what they're looking for in a program and rank UCSF higher. But the truth needs to be told. You trauma cowboys are delirious and drunk on the trauma kool-aid.

Yes, yes, I will post my rank list soon...

I don't want to derail the tread either, so I'll just throw in my 2c as someone who trained at a higher volume trauma center. I agree that the management is reasonably algorithmic and that from a pure thinking standpoint, there's not that much to do. What I found was valuable in my residency training was that it was a source of multiple procedures (intubation, central line, chest tube, thoracotomy) and then if they were that sick the patient got whisked away to the OR. In under 10 minutes I had at least gotten an intubation and maybe a line or a chest tube out of the encounter. Was it as mentally challenging as the complex undifferentiated sick medical patient? Absolutely not. Was it an easy way to quickly get a few procedures on a critically ill person and then get back to seeing other patients? Absolutely! Food for thought, but agree that there is no right answer and it will be different for everyone.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 200s, Step 2: 220s
EM rotation grades: H/H
Anything else that made you more competitive: Decent research with 5 publications and a handful of case presentations. Involved with EM interest group since M1 year and a handful of other EM related ECs.

Fit and wanted to go somewhere with a wide range of pathology.

1) University of Mississippi
Pros - I really love the faculty and staff here. Everyone is very friendly and easy to work with. New PD who seems to really be invested in improving the program. Great quality of pathology with lots of ED time built into the curriculum. Brand new sim lab that is just now finished and will be quite an upgrade from the older facilities.

Cons - Location is a turn off for some people and it's something I struggled with. ICU experience not great on all off-service rotations and only 4 months total (NSICU,PICU, SICU, and MICU).

2) West Virginia University
Pro - Spent a month here for an away rotation and really fell in love with the place. Debated a lot between putting them at #2 vs #1. PD really impressed me with how much she cares about the program and the residents. Ultrasound completely blew me away and very nice sim labs. A remodeled ED that is very well organized and will give them extra capacity when patient load surges.

Cons - Morgantown is a pretty small town so there are concerns for my SO being able to find a job. Some minor concerns for volume at the main site as a few of my night shifts I spent there at as a student were munch slower than I anticipated.

3) East Carolina University/Vidant Medical Center
Pros - The program presents itself as a place that you will see everything and learn to do it all. Great pathology and huge catchment area. I really liked how they have the ED divided into a lower and higher acuity pods with the higher acuity pod having close to 100% admission rate.

Cons - Greenville seems like a pretty small town and at the pre-interview dinner I was surprised at how quickly the resident left after they ate which created kind of a weird vibe.

4) WellStar- Kennestone in Marietta, GA
Pros - PD faculty seem really excited about the new program and there was an excitement in the air that made me want to learn more about the program. Seems to be a pretty high volume ED with plenty of sick patients. Potential to be a really great program and will be very interesting to see how well it works out.

Cons - New program. Unsure how well residents will integrate with all of current staff in the ED.

Rejected by: Vanderbilt, Carolinas, Cinci, UCLA-OV, Highland, Hennepin, Northwestern

Anything else to add?:
I'm a below average MD applicant and debated on rather to post this or not but am hopeful it will help people out in similar situations. No other red flags except for board scores with decent pre-clinical grades and better clinical grades. I was definitely one of those students who found the first two years incredibly difficult but really hit their stride during 3rd year. Applied to ~55 programs and only received 4 interviews with two of those being sites I rotated at. I talked to our school's adviser prior to ERAS opening and she recommended not applying to a back up specialty although I thought I should have. I regret that decision now but am prepared for the very real possibility of being forced to SOAP in which case I will do a pre-lim surgery year and then re-apply next year. I was hoping my two strong SLOEs would overshadow my board scores and at least give me more interviews than I received but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Applied to: Most programs in the Southeast
Invited to interview but declined: None

Note from @surely: I appreciate you sharing this perspective, and I'm crossing my fingers for you. Everybody loves an underdog story. Come back and celebrate with us when you match!

Hope you match... You should have applied to 80+ programs and still have FM/IM as back up...

To the people who are reading this thread: If you are unsure about the advice you are getting from your school advisor(s), it's wise to get a second opinion in SDN from people who have gone thru the same process. I have found that the advice that I am getting in SDN more in line with what's going on in the medical community... than what med school advisors are telling me.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 210s, Step 2: 220s
EM rotation grades: Did 3, all Pass/Fail (??? Not sure if this is true, but it's what they put down on the ROL survey -@surely)
Medical school region: East coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Unique extracurricular experiences

60%
gut feeling based on the interview or audition month. Most of this was based on my impression of the attendings and residents and how well I feel I could fit in and what the resident experience would be like at that program.

20%
structured academics (no tract/free for all vs specialized training with fellowship trained attendings in areas of desired interest)
hospital/facilities (state-of-the-art vs out-dated, large vs small)
patients seen per shift/ ED volume
patient acuity trauma volume & how traumas are handled (eg. in some programs Anesthesia handles intubations or Surgery places chest tubes, central lines etc)
curriculum and off-service rotation experiences (eg. single hospital vs multiple clinical training environments

20% Location

1) University at Buffalo - SUNY Buffalo
Pros: dedicated attendings, happy residents, strong academic curriculum, multiple training environments (6 separate hospitals for ED rotations), location ( I prefer snowy/cold over hot, small town feel with urban amenities)

Cons: none unless you hate cold

2) Reading Health System
Pros: state-of-the-art facility and massive 120 bed ED with 130,000+ visits per year, faculty were informative and took an extra year as a trial run of their academics/didactics before entering the match this year

Cons: new program so no residents to give feedback, location

3) Geisinger Medical Center
Pros: massive hospital Level I trauma, happy residents, high volume and acuity, dedicated academic tracts, great access to outdoor activities

Cons: few amenities in town, felt isolated

4) Arnot Ogden Medical Center
Pros: awesome PD and faculty attendings, happy residents, affordable small town living but still has a Wegman's in town

Cons: very small ED (20 beds) with low ED volume (~45K) that looked very out-dated

5) Crozer Chester Medical Center
Pros: faculty are mostly new attendings and easy to relate to and they are very receptive to resident feedback, happy residents

Cons: location ( I prefer smaller cities with less traffic), low ED volume

6) Mountain State OPTI-WV/ OVMC

Pros: very happy residents, access to outdoor activities

Cons: very old and small ED (20 beds) with out-dated EHR, middle of nowhere location, awful hospital cafeteria

7) St. Elizabeth Boardman Hospital
Pros: happy residents, new hospital with brand new ED, excellent cafeteria

Cons: no academic tracts, boring town

8) Henry Ford Macomb

Pros: mainly the Henry Ford name, residents seemed happy, good patient acuity

Cons: didn't like the location (very far from my family)

9) Wellspan York Hospital

Pros: brand new ED, academic tracts, residents seemed happy

Cons: there are multiple malignant attendings here who disrespect medical students and have little patience for teaching, very rural location with high crime

10) Southeastern Health/CUSOM

Pros: high patient acuity, very procedure heavy

Cons: 4 year program, middle of nowhere location and very far from family

11) Albert Einstein Medical Center
Pros: high patient volume, high trauma

Cons: 4 year program, strong hierarchy (eg. only 2nd years can do central lines/3yr runs trauma, only certain level residents may sit in certain chairs), large program with little continuity (residents barely knew each other)

Applied to: 65 programs

Anything else to add?:
Went on 20 interviews. Last 10 programs include UNC, Wake Forest, Duke, UMass, VCU, UMich, UVA, ECU, EVMS, and Hopkins. Too lazy to write about all of them since below #10 I didn't particularly care.
@Apollyon

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 260s, Step 2: 260s
EM rotation grades: First one was Pass/Fail, next 2 were Honors and Honors
Medical school region: West coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: previous nurse

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: training, fit, reputation

1) Hennepin County Medical Center
Classic EM powerhouse. Great hx as 2nd oldest emergency medicine residency program. Also first to start resuscitation rooms. Best autonomy, ortho reductions, pitboss role in a well funded 3 year county with over 30 ultrasound machines. Great speech by chair about how EM is king of the hospital and takes care of the behind of scene admin stuff to provide the residents with the best experiences and cutting edge opportunities that other residencies don't have. Pediatrics experience will cover all the seasons and is always being improved. Great $1500 annual food stipend and mostly a single site county experience with 2 community months also.

2) Carolinas Medical Center
Best well rounded program that I have seen. Another classic EM powerhouse. Was difficult to decide between charlotte and the twin cities but in the end thought the twin cities were more beautiful with a stronger outdoors adventure culture.

3) Maricopa Medical Center
Not the same reputation as hennepin or carolinas but still a well respected program. Some may be turned away by such strong Copa pride but the pride and enthusiasm from the PD was inspiring. Still bouncing back between my number 3 and 4.

4) Los Angeles County - Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Another EM powerhouse. Sadly this is a 4 year program. Loved the area much more than phoenix but didn't have the same inspiration from the PD. Might move this to 3.

5) Indiana University School of Medicine
Felt really similar to carolinas but SO didn't like the location otherwise this would be right below carolinas for me because i felt like this program wasn't as proactive for the residents as carolinas.

6) Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center
Love the mission. Love the show Code black and the documentary, but the schedule just seemed too unbearable for 4 years.

7) University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
SO didn't like the location and its 4 years. Great legacy as the first EM program.

8) SUNY Downstate/Kings County Hospital
Felt too county for me and not a fan of the scut work. Residents were all super chill. For sure the USC la county of new york

9) Alameda Health System - Highland Hospital
Really nothing bad to say just didn't have a good feeling about being there. Don't know why.

10) John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
Too many floor months. Could get the same experience but better at Kings county or la county in locations that I prefer more.

Rejected by: Denver, Orlando Health, Oregon, University of Washington, Georgetown, George Washington, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern

Invited to interview but declined: Vanderbilt, Jacobi-Montefiore, NYU, NYP

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 230s, Step 2: 240s
EM rotation grades: High Pass/Honors/Honors
Anything else that made you more competitive: Top 20 med school, lots of interesting prior work experience, pretty dope research projects, my hobbies/PS came up in pretty much every interview. I'm pretty sure my second 2 sloes were top 10% and rock goddamn solid.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location was the biggest factor, I want to get back home to California. After that it was a mixture of reputation and fit.

1) University of California Davis
I loved this program, and it's definitely the strongest 3 year in California. Lots of trauma because of the huge catchment area, and UCDMC is the de facto county hospital for Sacramento so there's great pathology. My wife is from Sacramento, and my family is pretty close by, so it started the season as #1 and stayed there.

2) University of California San Francisco - San Francisco General Hospital
Absolutely loved the program. Perfect split between county and academic, with a huge name attached to it. Faculty and residents were some of the most laid back and easy to get along out of all my interviews. 4 years is a bummer, as is the COL in San Francisco.

3) University of California San Diego
San Diego is amazing. Not as expensive as northern california, but with amazing amenities. The way trauma is set up is kind of a bummer, but years 2-4 you can also be a flight doc on Mercy Air, which seems like a really cool way to get additional experience. The split between Hillcrest and La jolla seems like a good balance. Did I mention it's in San Diego?

4) Stanford University Medical Center/Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
I was super unsure of Stanford going in. Newly minted 4th year, located in the south bay, doesn't have a big rep for EM. I was really surprised by how much I liked it, though. The faculty seem to have a great vision, and the resources to do cool **** are unreal. Mix between academic/county/community, but wish there was more time at Santa Clara Valley. The recently became their own department, so while things seem to be in flux, it's in a good way. The COL is really the killer here for me. The area is pretty meh, but CRAZY expensive because of google/stanford.

5) McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
This was the only program from outside California that spent some time in my top 3, albeit no longer there. I was totally blow away by this place. Great name, trauma at Cook but amazing off service rotations. Faculty I interviewed with were great and I really liked the residents. Chicago seems like a really cool city, but we are looking to get back to the west coast.

6) University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School
Good 3 year program, nothing particularly exciting about it other than being in Austin. Austin was a ton of fun.

7) Baylor College of Medicine
Dr. Pillow was probably the most down to earth, easy to talk to PD I met. The program is pretty hardcore county, but with Baylor off services and peds at Texas Children's. Houston was really the only downside. Seems alright, but not close to home. I couldn't stand having Ted Cruz be my senator.

8) Kaiser Permanente San Diego Medical Center
This was an interesting program. Very new, non-resident dependent for coverage, great food benefits... but small class, no reputation, residents were a little strange. Just can't see myself there, despite it being a 3 year in san deigo.

9) Duke University Medical Center
Durham was cool, the PD was awesome, but it just didn't seem like a super strong program.

I really wanted to like Cook County. In the end, it seems like the off services would be weak, it's fourth year seemed totally unwarranted, and Northwestern would have the same trauma experience while rotating there, anyways.

11) Washington University St. Louis/Barnes-Jewish Hospital
PD was AWESOME. Gun and knife club with the added benefit of having the Wash U name and academics behind it. If it wasn't in St Louis it would be much higher on the list.

12) Case Western Reserve University/University Hospital Cleveland Medical Center
Loved the PD and faculty. Was my first interview, but later in the season wouldn't have gone. Not looking to live in Cleveland.

13) Arrowhead Regional
Really weird program and interview day. Started at 6am, for instance. Had an interview where the pgy2 just did an oral board with me, which was easy enough but super off putting. Throughout the day they talked mad **** about top name programs, saying that they were soft and Arrowhead is amazing for the county experience. Just barely better than not matching.

Withdrew from prior to hearing anything: A lot. I thought my CK was going to be much higher, but it came back low 240s. Added like 30 programs in a panic.

Invited to interview but declined:
Mt Sinai Icahn, Mt Sinai SLR, New York Presbyterian, Wake Forest, MetroHealth, UC Riverside, Loma Linda, Ohio State

Rejected by: U Wash, OHSU, LA programs, Alameda, Carolinas, Emory, Vandy

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but should we expect emails from programs if they are ranking us highly? I have emailed my top choice and had a fairly positive reply. And planning on reaching-out to my top 6-7 programs. Slightly nervous since I haven’t heard anything from a lot of programs (except for 2 or 3) after my interview day. I can’t wait to get through and be done with this process!

I have emailed my top choice and had a fairly positive reply. And planning on reaching-out to my top 6-7 programs.

You know how people says programs don't really trust these emails because candidates are probably shotgunning them to everyone?

You know how people says programs don't really trust these emails because candidates are probably shotgunning them to everyone?

Of course, but I am fairly careful with my language. I have told my number 1 that they are my number 1. My second and third choices will be receving a you are “one of my top choice” programs, without specifying the number. 3-6 will be receiving a ranking you highly. And the rest won’t be receiving an email. I want to make sure I am professional and diplomatic without lying or instilling a false sense of security to these programs about where they are on my rank list.

Of course, but I am fairly careful with my language. I have told my number 1 that they are my number 1. My second and third choices will be receving a you are “one of my top choice” programs, without specifying the number. 3-6 will be receiving a ranking you highly. And the rest won’t be receiving an email. I want to make sure I am professional and diplomatic without lying or instilling a false sense of security to these programs about where they are on my rank list.

Why are you bothering to send the non-#1 emails? That's why the other poster thought you were lying. It's either send a program a #1 letter or don't send anything. No one wants to hear they weren't your first choice, even if you try to tell them they were near the top. You think you ask a girl out by telling her while she wasn't your top choice, she's definitely near there?

Reactions: 2 users
Why are you bothering to send the non-#1 emails? That's why the other poster thought you were lying. It's either send a program a #1 letter or don't send anything. No one wants to hear they weren't your first choice, even if you try to tell them they were near the top. You think you ask a girl out by telling her while she wasn't your top choice, she's definitely near there?
Exactly! "Hey, wanna be my side chick?"

6 ranks is almost a rank list.... Pretty sure these "Letter of Intent" messages are meant for your number one. If you ranking them highly, it should not go below your 3rd rank. I mean look at the match statistics. If they are number 6 they most definitely arent ranked highly lol.

Last edited:

Nothing good can come from this. Let’s say your number 2 thinks you are saying they are your number 1. Then when you don’t match there, they think you’re a liar. Academic EM is a small world and you don’t want to piss people off early in your career. Plus, if they didnt like you, it makes things awkward.

Exactly! "Hey, wanna be my side chick?"

6 ranks is almost a rank list.... Pretty sure these "Letter of Intent" messages are meant for your number one. If you ranking them highly, it should not go below your 3rd rank. I mean look at the match statistics. If they are number 6 they most definitely arent ranked highly lol.

Nothing good can come from this. Let’s say your number 2 thinks you are saying they are your number 1. Then when you don’t match there, they think you’re a liar. Academic EM is a small world and you don’t want to piss people off early in your career. Plus, if they didnt like you, it makes things awkward.

Wow. Thank you so much guys. I won’t email then. I will just leave it since I already emailed my #1.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 230s, Step 2: 230s
EM rotation grades: First rotation was Pass/Fail only, then High Pass, High Pass
Medical school region: Texas
Anything else that made you more competitive: Research Experience. Couple of papers and abstracts published. Good looks. Strong PS. Was told I was a good conversationalist by several interviewers.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Fit > Location > Reputation 8 = 10 >>>> 12s Didnt bother to apply to 4 year programs.

1) UT Southwestern Medical Center - Dallas
Loved the residents. 3 year program with no floor months. 11 hour shifts intern year with 1 hour built in for clean up. R2/3 = 8+2. 19-18-16 shifts per 28 days. Moonlighting starting 2nd half of 2nd year. 22 residents per class which makes this the largest residency program in the country, but theres a benefit to that too = more people will be off and available to do things than smaller programs. No state income tax and excellent tort reform. Goal is to practice in Texas post residency, so going to the best program in TX will carry a lot of weight. Trauma experience is definitely lacking but they do rotate at an OSH for that experience and have 3 community months to add to their county/academic setting experience. All three classes go to one conference as a group and each year there is a class wide retreat. Solid journal clubs and didactics. It does tend to consult out quite a bit though. No meal money or CME which is silly. Salary at $58/60/62. Awesome New Zealand elective!

2) Truman Medical Center/University of MO Kansas City
PROS:
I absolutely love this program! Residents were awesome. Pre-interview dinner was the best on the trail! Strong pedigree since the residency has been here since the 1970s. 8 hour shifts all three years! 16-20-18 on a 13 block cycle (28 days). 2nd year appears busy, but intern year is more relaxed for learning EM rather than ED throughput. Kansas City is smaller than Dallas, but still a great city with a strong young adult population, which is a big plus since I am single. Great level of involvement in trauma and they do get a lot, especially penetrating trauma which tends to be a problem at other programs. CME at 1000 for R2 and R3s

CONS:
-No meal money
-Salary is slightly on the lower side for the COL in KC (53/55/57)
-Off service rotations that was sold as "getting to know your consultants and seeing how patients are cared for after they leave the ED" which is not a good enough reason to me.
-Lots of crime in the downtown area due to a larger than normal homeless population.
-Cerner

3) University of Nebraska Medical Center
PROS:
This program was the biggest surprise and may become my #2. Awesome Curriculum - 12 blocks (30 days) No floor months. Very ED heavy. 2 rural months where you are one of maybe 2-3 residents in the entire hospital = lots of procedures and will definitely put some hair on your chest. 2 elective months. High salary at 57/60/62. Interns work 15-16 12s/month(10+2) while R2/R3 work 9s (8+1). Omaha is a smaller town than I have lived in before = low traffic and less poverty. Chance of running into the Buffet Man!

CONS: Omaha is very spread out, not the best downtown scene, but adequate enough. Strong University program means lots of consulting out, but that is something that is an issue at most programs now that have many residency programs.

4) Texas A&M Scott & White Memorial Hospital
PROS:
Standard 3 year program that works 12s first year and 10s the next two. Respected residency program and residents seemed very knowledgable. Scott&White name is very well known in Texas. Loved Dr. Drigalla! Very genuine PD and Texan.

CONS:
Temple has nothing going on. Residents seemed more on the family oriented side with many having kids. Not great for a single person if you ask me. No electives if I remember correctly. They do have a floor month at the VA.

5) University of Texas Health Science Center School of Medicine at San Antonio
PROS:
Newer 3 year program under Dr. Muck who is a great asset. Nice suburban city. Tex-Mex is amazing! Newer ED. See some very sick patients.

CONS:
Low pay, 2 weeks vacation 1st year. Trauma surgery still dominant in the hospital, but appears to be changing.

6) University of Arkansas
UAMS is a very old program and they know what they're doing. Only level 1 in the state, leading to a lot of referrals and seeing a whole host of pathology. Little Rock is nice town with lots of greenery and very clean from what I saw. 2 elective months, newer ED, EPIC, 11s as interns and 10s as R2/R3 and 12s on the weekend. Pay on the lower side, 3 weeks vacation, $2100 CME for all three years. They do get something like 200/month on their meal-cards.

7) University of Florida - Gainesville
Love Dr. Beattie! 3 year residency program that works 8s with 12s on the weekend to free more weekends off. scribes your 2nd and 3rd year. Uses EPIC. Not sure if dictation is available. Salary higher than other programs in FL. Residents are funny. Gainesville is a small college town which may not be to everyone's liking. Kinda swampy too.

8) University of Oklahoma College of Medicine/Tulsa
9) University of Missouri Columbia School of Medicine
10) Western Michigan University Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine
11) University of Florida - Jacksonville
12) East Carolina University/Vidant Medical Center

13) New York-Presbyterian - Queens
- 13 4-week blocks
- all 12s 18-16-15 shifts/month
- Allscripts EMR
- residents were a lot of fun and definitely on the bro-y side.
- New York is expensive AF. Some residents have roommates to offset the COL and high state tax but at 63/65/67K per year, its still not enough. No housing stipend.

14) Florida Atlantic University
- New programs with 6 residents per class.
- Rotate at two hospital sites
- Good meal money (15/day) and some CME
- 13 block schedule with variable hours (10s and 12s with some 8s)

15) University of Central Florida/HCA GME Consortium of Greater Orlando
Thought about not ranking this program because its an HCA affiliated residency. But I would rather match into a crappy program than not match at all. EMR is Meditech. Residents are super nice, but hasnt graduated a class yet. Leadership is very knowledgable and veterans at starting new residency programs. Work 12s on the heavier side on a 13 block schedule. No thanks.

Applied to 70 programs.
Withdrew from 2 before hearing anything.
Declined 2 interviews.
Attended 15.
Rejected by: Emory, Carolinas, UAB, Georgetown, Greenville Health, Vanderbilt, UT- Dell Austin (this one hurt).

(Props to this poster for including information about block length, shift length, and shifts per block.)

Applicant Summary:
EM rotation grades: Honors, Honors
Anything else that made you more competitive: Prior ED work experience. Strong personal statement (or so I was told).

1. Gut feeling
2. Location / Quality of Life
3. Perceived reputation
4. Perceived clinical strength

1) Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center / Olive View UCLA Medical Center
Has pretty much everything I'm looking for in a curriculum and seems to be one of the most well rounded programs out there. Ample elective time, great mentorship opportunity (albeit with no formal tracks, which I kind of prefer for flexibility sake), strong critical care rotations, perfect academic/county split, and strong mission for underserved. I also love LA and could really see myself living here. Only cons I see (which to be fair are not insignificant) are cost of living in LA (but still better than SF), commute to OV (overhyped) and 12 hour shifts all four years (yuck). I think I can handle the 12s given the 3 days off each week in LA, which would be pretty amazing. Also, the residents here seemed genuinely happy and close-knit, and faculty were some of the chillest I met on the trail.

I think I'd be equally happy here or at UCSF. The only reason this is #1 over UCSF is because of SoCal vs. NorCal. Love them both, but I'd rather spend my days off in shorts and sandals than in my Patagonia fleece.

2) University of California San Francisco - San Francisco General Hospital
Loved this program. Very similar to UCLA in many ways, although a bit newer/less established reputation. I'm personally not at all concerned about the strength of clinical training here - it seems more than adequate. Clinical education is outstanding here, which is a huge selling point. Off service rotations are among the best in the nation. The environment is very collaborative, and residents seem to love the faculty. The residents here were also some of my favorite - very down to earth. Some were vocal that they had ranked Highland #1 but they are still happy to have matched at UCSF.

My only issue here is SF - if it were 10 degrees warmer, this may beat out UCLA. Even as I'm writing this, I'm debating if I should make this my #1. Had great vibes from the program, just not sure if I'm 100% sold on SF given the cost of living and lukewarm weather.

3) Alameda Health System - Highland Hospital
Undeniably strong name/reputation/clinical training. Had great interactions with residents, but less so with faculty. David, the APD, was amazing, but I didn't get a chance to interview with the PD. I'm a little concerned about the off-service rotations here, especially compared to UCSF. I think part of becoming a great ED doc is learning from leaders in other fields as well. Also not sure how I feel about the size of the program and how few faculty there are. Some of my interviewers were a bit quirky and I'd be nervous that I wouldn't mesh well with the faculty. But the training here seems second to none, so I can overlook some of these issues because I know I'd leave residency well prepared.

I would prefer SF>Oakland, and I think the name UCSF beats Highland in all things outside of EM, so if I were to ever pursue some non-clinical endeavor (e.g. admin), I think UCSF would actually open more doors. That being said, I would be tremendously happy to match here.

4) Emory University School of Medicine
Biggest selling point for Emory is the incredible pathology at Grady. This place is INSANE, and probably overwhelming tbh. I realize by ranking this #4 that if I were to match here, I would be pushed out of my comfort zone on day #1. But the residents here are very happy, albeit fairly intense. Atlanta is great and super affordable. Would be very happy here.

5 University of Chicago Medicine
Loved my interview day. Residents were chill, faculty seemed great (except one attending from the community site who I did not vibe with), 3 year program, amazing brand new ED, great mix of pathology. Hours seemed fair with guaranteed 2 weekends off per month. Not sold on the flight curriculum (seems a bit heavy) and Chicago weather (ugh) + need for car in Chicago (added expense). If this were in a warmer city, could be much higher.

6) McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
Very impressive program, with potentially best job placement I've seen. Got a bit of a pretentious vibe though, esp. from the Chair. Clinical training seems great, although less focused on underserved than I'd like. Commute to community sites seems terrible. TONS of ICU time, which is both good and bad. Definitely a solid option. I love Chicago, but the weather would be tough.

7) Stanford University Medical Center/Kaiser Permanente Medical Center

Actually loved the program, amazed by how many opportunities there are here for literally anything you could want to pursue in EM. Hours are great, people seemed great. Probably the bougiest program I've seen (this or NW), so some concern about breadth of pathology and trauma experience. Main reason for not ranking this higher is Palo Alto - ridiculously expensive for a small city 45 minutes away from the an area I'd rather live. If this program were in SF, it would break my top 3 or 4.

8) Hospital of University of Pennsylvania
One of the biggest surprises of the interview season. Did not expect to love it based on what I'd heard from other applicants on the trail. Was genuinely impressed by Penn and all it has to offer, being a top-tier program in every other field. Philly was surprisingly fun too, and the residents (and faculty) here were among the most down-to-earth I encountered on the trail. Also love the ED ICU experience. The big concern here is the relative lack of trauma (which goes to Temple) and 18x 12 hour shifts each month. Philly would also likely never be my top choice, but I think I'd be very happy here nonetheless.

9) Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
Chill residents, great PD, less crazy/crowded than other NYC programs, strong emphasis on wellness, seemingly balanced for a 3 year program. Not super keen on NYC, but if I was this would be my pick.

10) Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Brigham and Women's
Undeniable name. Tons of resources. Boston is pretty cool. Did not mesh well with residents or faculty. Seemed the most pretentious of all programs. Why did I have to meet with both chairs?

11) Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center
Love DC. Solid 3 year option in a great city, but nothing about it stands out. Some of my most aggressive interview questions were here.

12) Mount Sinai School of Medicine - New York
Has everything I want in a curriculum, great academic/county balance, etc. Just don't think I can handle NYC overcrowding and lack of nursing support. Would probably be a nightmare, and residents were very vocal about how much they disliked these aspects.

13) University of Washington Emergency Medicine Residency Program

Seattle is not for me. Rain 6 months a year? No thanks.
Program itself is solid though. No major issues here. Residents were very outdoorsy - maybe too much for me.

14) Vanderbilt University

Got a very conservative vibe from the program leadership and many of the residents at the pre-interview dinner. Would probably not fit in well here, despite this being an excellent training program that pretty much has everything I want in a curriculum (+ amazing peds). 3 years in Nashville is not for me.

15) Oregon Health and Science University

Solid on all fronts but not exceptional in any regard. Would make a great community doc, but I don't think they pump out leaders in EM. No particular area of strength or opportunity for niche development. Would rank higher if I were invested in the PNW and looking for a 3 year program. Also Portland may be too weird for me.

16) University of Michigan

Extremely well rounded program with great ICU experience and impressive resources. Would hate driving to Flint (esp in Michigan winters). Not ready to move to a small city especially with terrible weather for so many months of the year. Had a similar feel to NW but in a smaller town. Move this program to LA or SF, and this might be a different story.

Invited to interview, but declined: Temple, UT-Southwestern, George Washington, Jacobi/Montefiore

Rejected by: BIDMC, LAC+USC, Carolinas Medical Center, Harbor-UCLA (waitlist), UCSD, NYU-Bellevue (waitlist), NY-Presbyterian

Applicant Summary:
EM rotation grades: Honors, Honors, Honors
Medical school region: Northeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Paramedic then RN then Nurse practitioner.

Fit, perceived clinical training, perceived reputation, alumni placement, location, 3>4 want to do fellowship. Rotated first at temple, emory, then carolinas. More of a learn by doing hands on learner.

1) Carolinas Medical Center
+: Even though this was my 3rd rotation and I had already learned a lot from my rotations at temple and Emory, I felt like the clinical acumen of the R3s was just superior than the R3s at my other away rotations. They seemed to bounce between so many different curveball patients complaints very fluidly. Major, the high acuity pod, just had crazy diverse pathology. This isn't to say that at temple and emory the R3s didn't manage all the patients well but the diversity of patients on one shift at each site was very similar and when there was a curveball patient they would get stumped. Studying for boards I could always do really well if I was doing test questions from a particular section, but it is always harder when you have no clue what the next question maybe. I feel like the single site model of carolinas really kept me more on my toes. Had a blast with all the faculty at all 3 rotations but even after 3 rotations I was amazed by these faculty and residents and really just want to be like them in the future. 3 months of elective is also great. Residents from what I saw got off shift fairly quickly maybe really bad days half an hour to an hour later. Also alumni have been placed in the most competative community and academic job markets in locations in the future that my SO would like to move to in the future given that their job is not in healthcare.

--: the vacation schedule isn't ideal but its worth it to me. Also a peds floor month also isn't ideal but i would prefer a peds month over an internal med floor month. I'm from the NE and this program is in the south but at the end of the day its only for 3 years and i would regret such an amazing clinical opportunity.

2) Temple University School of Medicine
Battling between Temple and Emory as 2 and 3. I have family in the northeast so the call to temple is stronger. Both places have really sick patients and tons of trauma.There is more diversity of patients at Emory at each site where temple patient diversity comes from having multiple community rotations. Dr. Mcnamara is really a big name in the em field and the whole residency leadership really invests in you. The police drop offs is more unique to temple. Again great time with residents and faculty and philly is a great city.

1 month of electives split into 2 weeks sucks. Also not sure about the circadian rhythm schedule but residents really seemed to like it.

3) Emory University School of Medicine
Like I said above. Tough decision for me. Really like the new PD. I did feel like there was less autonomy here though compared to the programs above. A few residents also seemed to echo this complaint too. Of course none of the programs above are like hennepin in terms of autonomy but i feel like the training could be improved with more ED autonomy. I guess this is a downside to the strength of the other services at Emory which is still good because at least i will get good teaching on off service rotations.

4) Hennepin County Medical Center
Didn't rotate here or do a shadowshift but I really love the idea of so much resident autonomy where trauma surgery is a consult service. Great legacy to the program with beautiful STAB rooms. Too many ultrasounds to count probably at least 1 for each resident in the program. Negatives are that it is really cold and I had a taste of that during my winter interview. Residents also said that the peds acuity is low even compared to other programs.Sick kids are my nightmare so I really want to go to a program where I see more sick peds patients. Also there is 6 weeks of neurosurgery. Residents would like it to be 4 weeks of neurosurgery and another 2 weeks of electives so 2 months of electives total but that is still in progress and not sure when that will change.

5) Denver Health
Did a shadowshift here after my interview at denver health and at the University of colorado. Great turn out for preinterview dinner. Residents really chill and best buddies with each other. Residents go rock climbing, hiking, skiing, snowboarding together. Residents stay maybe like 1/2 hr to an hr to chart but for the 4th years it depends really on if they had an experienced or new scribe. Paid close attention to the interaction between faculty and residents, em and non em residents, faculty and non em residents, and sign out for any negative malignant behavior which I did not see any. Saw some crazy stuff on my shadowshifts which were more like observing shifts with no pressure like a subi. really loved my time here but its 4 years and I am planning to do a fellowship

6) Maricopa Medical Center
Some of the most fun residents. Copa pride is very tempting to join. Arizona is just not for me and I would prefer too cold than too hot. Love the 1 month elective each year. Have met many great faculty members that have trained here.

7) Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center
Another amazing program but the schedule is not for me. The calling to the underserved from the residents and faculty felt too righteous for my taste. Do love LA though. Great weather. Not a big fan of the traffic. 4 years also.

8) Alameda Health System - Highland Hospital
Bay area was amazing. Love the program though but SO vetoed bay area and I managed to convince them to let me bump it up. Residents and faculty super fun. Love their ultrasound nerve block foamed and I plan to follow it in the future no matter where I match. Still not a fan of 4 years but really down to earth people.

9) McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
Well rounded with the tertiary care, the trauma at cook county, community county months elsewhere. Leaders creating leaders and strong critical care focus. I personally do not want to do that many months of critical care and chicago is not my preferred city.

This is under northwestern because I feel like cook county is pretty static and not revamping their program as much as others. Too many floor months unlike northwestern which has no floor months and also many residencies go to cook county for their trauma.

11) SUNY Downstate/Kings County Hospital
hands on training like no other but I don't want to be on the translation phone all day and doing a lot of scutwork. Love nyc though

12) NYU/Bellevue Medical Center
Lower than kings county because you get scutwork and get less autonomy, crazy pathology, and trauma. love nyc.

13) Vanderbilt University
Great program but just not for me. So much emphasis was on the educational teaching material and I learn best with more hands on beside teaching. I will remember it better with all the sick patients and not reading great lectures.

(sorry lost steam with my explanations)

Invited to interview, but declined: UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, Indiana, Orlando Health, UF Jacksonville, Utah, UTSW

Rejected by: Cincinatti, Regions, University of Wisconsin, U Pitt

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 240s, Step 2: 240s
Anything else that made you more competitive:

location, fit, patient population, prestige and clinical training. I prefer bigger cities in the northeast/midwest. 3>4

1) Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
Pros: incredibly smart, cool, and diverse residents, great leadership, great clinical/practice site diversity with the two sites, strong EM focused curriculum, strong work/life balance, decent subsidized housing. Love NYC

Cons: lack of strong university backing, lack of trauma exposure, (all NYC programs), not a huge reputation outside of EM, high COL

2) NYU/Bellevue Medical Center
Pros: good clinical diversity with the Tisch and Bellevue, Strong reputation both in and out of EM, great location in NYC, possibility for really good housing but it's not guaranteed, strong tox, good focus on creating leaders in the field, interesting and pretty diverse residents

Cons: Bellevue has pretty poor ancillary staff and a bit of drunk tank patient population and a bit lower acuity. First two years seem pretty tough with a lot of off service rotations at Bellevue. 2 years of 12s (18x12, 18x12, 18x10, 18x8), high COL

3) Temple University School of Medicine
Pros: really great leadership that are really involved in resident education, great clinical training, lots of trauma, very cool group of residents, they work primarily 8's, Philly is a great city with lots to do and a relatively low COL, strong curriculum

Cons: lack of patient diversity, pretty much just lower SES AA patients

4) Advocate Christ Medical Center
Pros: really strong overall training, with a lot of patient diversity and diverse pathology, great seeming group of residents, really strong reputation in the midwest, all the perks of being at one site and having a real community style program. Chicago is a great city, the residents seemed pretty happy with a good work life balance.

Cons: One site for all rotations is a downside for me, lack of academics, lack of a recognizable name in other regions/outside of the EM world. The commute to Oaklawn isn't the worst, but doesn't seem very ideal

5) Emory University School of Medicine
Pros: super strong reputation, really diverse group of residents who seem to get along well and have a lot of fun, they seem really happy, seemingly decent work life balance. Grady is an amazing place to train, lots of great acuity and trauma. they get to train at a variety of different practice environments.

Cons: I'm not super keen on ATL, its an amazing city but it's not for me. If it weren't for this fact it would be my number 1 for sure.

6) John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
Pros: great group of residents, really amazing leadership, they get to see a lot of diverse pathology and high acuity, strong mission of helping people and commitment to the city, amazing reputation. Solid overall training that could take you anywhere afterwards.

Cons: lack of resources, not a great deal of academic power and research, they work pretty hard here.

7) University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Pros: powerhouse in emergency medicine, they have incredible resources in the department and amazing leadership. They have been producing leaders in the field for a long time and it shows. They have a focus in turning you into a leader and making you a well trained, marketable and polished product by the time you leave. Strong flight experience. one of the few 4 years that I think truly justifies the 4th year.

Cons: Cincinnati is ok at best, not a very diverse or exciting city. The residents seemed to mostly be from the region, with a higher number of them married and with kids. Don't think I had a great fit with them.

Honestly, if this were in a slightly better city it would probably be my number 1/2 because of the incredibly strong training and reputation.

8) Yale New Haven Medical Center
Pros: Strong program with great training and patient acuity/diversity. Really strong reputation/name both in and out of EM. Great leadership that is focused on making leaders in the field. A strong, but not overpowering academic focus. Great ED. Great lifestyle and work/life balance. Tons of resources and money to do whatever you want to do in the field. Another worthwhile 4th year

Cons: new Haven isn't for me, I wouldn't want to be here for 4 years. Didn't click with the residents very well.

9) Ohio State University Medical Center
Strong reputation with good training.
I didn't mesh well with the residents I met and don't want to live in Columbus.

10) University of Texas Houston
Pretty good program, don't really love texas.

11) Louisiana State University - New Orleans
Pros: Really great program with amazing and young leadership, beautiful new ED. Huge focus on diversity within the department and a strong social mission to helping the community.

Cons: honestly I loved almost everything about this program, but I'm just not to fond of New Orleans, especially for 4 years. Otherwise I would have ranked it much higher. I think anybody who would like to live in New Orleans would love training here.

12) Duke University Medical Center
Decent program with good resources and leadership. The residents seemed cool and happy. The city is too small for me

13) Denver Health
Pros: Amazing clinical training and a powerhouse in EM. work at 3 different sites- County, true community, and academic. Lots of patient diversity. Residents are all really really cool and get along great. The most clinically competent and badass 4th year residents I've seen anywhere, period.

Cons: They work really really hard, for all 4 years. They do very little outside of just clinical training, I would want more time to develop myself in other areas if I was doing a 4 year program and working that hard. Denver is a fun city, but its still a bit small and very isolated from the rest of the country.

I think this program is super strong, I just know it's not what I'm looking for. Also, a lot of people use the word "malignant" when talking about it. I don't think that's the case, I just think they work really hard and they are upfront about that from day 1.

14) Boston Medical Center
Overall a very strong program. It really is a "County program with resources". Great training and leadership, the residents seemed like a great group

Cons: super high COL in Boston, and for me it's just not an interesting enough city for me to want to spend that much just living. No moonlighting ever. the residents seemed like they are worked really hard.

Note: This program has a really strong mission to serving the people of Boston. it's truly a mission driven hospital/program. A lot of programs say this, but I think they are the most I have seen. If this is what you're about, there really is no better place for you. if not, then it may not be a great fit or worth it. The residents that buy into this seem so incredibly happy with their lives here, their work, and their decision to come here. it's pretty inspirational. But ultimately it wasn't for me.

Invited to interview, but declined: Kings county, Wash U, Stanford, Hennepin, SLU, U of Michigan, Wayne State in Detroit, U of Louisville, Brookdale

Rejected by: U of Chicago, Vanderbilt, Carolinas, UTSW, Baylor, presence Resurrection, Mt. Sinai, pretty much every California program, Drexel, UIC, Harvard BI, Brown

Applicant Summary:
Medical school region: Outside the US
Anything else that made you more competitive: Specific developed interest in Advocacy, Sat on IRB for large hospital system, Rec Letter from big-name EM Doc, top 10% of class.

Location, ability to work on policy research, resident fit, SO

1) University of California Davis
Pros: Great weather, balance of outdoors and research opportunities, living in a very progressive state capitol, training at multiple hospital models, loved PD. proximity to SO. Staff supports wellness. Local university has awesome work outside of medicine.

Cons: didnt love other applicants and some of the residents on visit day, but have had great time with other residents.

2) Stanford University Medical Center/Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
Pro: Social Emergency Medicine is a great new pathway for policy-minded people who also want to be advocates, big name opportunities on campus and outside of medicine, 4 years of elective time, great people. Literally tied for number 1, but NRMP doesnt allow that feature.

Cons: traffic in the area, I dont feel like I got to know the area that well.

3) Washington University St. Louis/Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Awesome people--favorite of the trail, awesome PD, awesome city, awesome rotations, amazing zoo. Amazing exposure. Gut is telling me it might move up late in the game.

Cons: distance from family, SO. very few cons

4) Mount Sinai School of Medicine - New York
City is fantastic, the residents and faculty were so warm and interesting. Food at elmhurst and characters you would meet would be amazing.
amazing resources and future career potential.

Cons: length and number of shifts, but really very few cons.

5) University of Alabama
Great people. great city. great hospital. treated me with tons of warm fuzzy. Fantastic mentorship opportunities.

Cons: hard for SO to have career flexibility, harder to get friends to visit, but really almost no cons.

6) Louisiana State University - New Orleans
7) FL -- University of South Florida
8) Akron General Medical Center
9) Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center
19 Louisiana State University - Baton Rouge

Loved everyone, hate that I have to have a last few in my list.

Anything else to add:
Sorry leaving details out of the last few, but so many of the things im considering are potentially identifying, re family connections and what-not. IMG LIFE

Applied to 137 programs. Rejected by to many to count.

Invited to interview, but declined: Brookdale, Kendall, Chattanooga (scheduling conflict)

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 240s, Step 2: 250s
EM rotation grades: Honors/Honors
Medical school region: Southwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: Interesting hobbies?

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Only applied to 3 year programs, fit

1) Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
Amazing residents. Love how close they are with them all living together in the same apartment complex. Great reputation in the EM world and good reputation association with mount sinai name. I live the 2 different site contrast for more of a tertiary vs county feel of west and st luke. Trauma is not abundant, but there are tons of diverse medically sick patients and job and fellowship placement has been amazing. Very em focused efficient curriculum with no BS rotations.

2) University of California Irvine Medical Center
Love the residents. Such a cohesive small group family. Residents work hard and play hard. Get slammed with high volume. Really liked the PD's sell on 3>4 and how patient volume per resident is more important than just overall volume. Area is gorgeous. Like how it is a tertiary community center but it is the county hospital since there isn't a true county hospital. Lots of academic opportunities with 2 em journals from UCI and also innovative meded like escape room conferences.

3) Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Similar curriculum to SLR with em focused efficient curriculum with no BS rotations. 2.5 elective weeks is great for international experiences. 2 site county and academic model similar to SLR. Area not as interesting as first 2 choices.

4) Temple University School of Medicine

Great reputation. So much trauma and medically sick. Patient population isn't very diverse. Loved the faculty but didn't vibe well with residents. Didn't like philly as much as nyc

5) Maricopa Medical Center
Great reputation and loved the PD and residents but had off putting question from PD and wasn't a big fan of the other faculty interviewers. I don't know if I can take the arizona heat.

6) Orlando Regional Medical Center
EM king of the hospital. Great camraderie. Good reputation. Sad it has an IM floor month. Good COL. I've heard training is awesome but most grads stay in the south so I don't know how great the alumni influence is.

7) Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center
Relatively new program in 2005. Really down to help out their residents. They work a ton of shifts and DC super expensive. All the tactical medicine and policy em niches sounded pretty cool.

8) University of California Davis
Sacramento was not for me. UC davis may be a county program but residents mentioned they consult a lot and autonomy isn't what it used to be back in the day.

9) University of Florida - Jacksonville
This place was too county for me and I prefer orlando over jacksonville. Orlando more family friendly.

10) Kaiser Permanente San Diego Medical Center
San diego is beautiful and I would love to eventually work here but for training I don't want such a low volume low acuity place and working for kaiser right off the bat. Would be awesome attending job though but I feel like if I trained here I would not have exercised my clinical chops.

11) Kaweah Delta Health Care District
Great training in the middle of nowhere but sadly location is not for me. Huge patient catchment area with great autonomy for residents.

12) Riverside Community Hospital / University of California Riverside
Great new program that took faculty from loma linda. Not a fan of the HCA style and while this program is reaping benefits for residents since it is new, that won't continue to be the case for procedures. Also residents mentioned there are growing pains with staff, nurses, pa, attendings because its new.

Rejected by: Carolinas, Emory, vanderbilt, Hennepin, UT Austin, BIDMC, UTSW

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 260s, Step 2: 260s
EM rotation grades: Honors/Honors
Medical school region: Northwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: Martial arts tournaments, orchestra, previous employment

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: SO traveled with me to most of my interviews and has a say. fit with resident personality was most important

1) Denver Health
P: Love the mountains, biking, skiing. Considering wilderness medicine in the future. The preinterview social had tons of residents show up who had awesome stories to share both in and out of the hospital. Also interested in tox and the rocky mountain poison control center is one of the best. The conference was also chill no signs of malignancy. Residency is upfront about working hard but residents work hard no matter where they go. Live the 50% county at DH and the 50% tertiary academic University colorado. Also nice with the other months at the kaiser style community practice. Great fit with the faculty and personally resonated with the high energy hard working atmosphere. True to the Work hard play harder idea. Residents rock climbed and went to the mountains together. Awesome that they have a ski cabin also. All doors for job placement open including academic faculty positions without an added fellowship. Icing on the cake is that Denver Health has a historic legacy to developing the EM field. Like that they have a strong social media culture with instagram and twitter. 4th year on shadow shift was a clinical monster. Super impressed. "classic powerhouse"

N: They start pretty early like 2nd week of June. You don't do ACLS with your residents during orientation but have to do it on your own. My school gives us free ACLS training so not a negative for me but may be for others since they only give you $100 reimbursement. 4 years is a negative but time flies when you have the best company and have fun.

2) Hennepin County Medical Center
P: Amazing training and autonomy. Very little consulting happens. EM is king of the hospital. 3 years is great. Had a great time with residents and faculty. Dr. Hart is such a strong resident advocate. She has a strong academic background in meded and has been incorporating her wellness education methods into the residency. Lots of money making opportunities with teaching U minnesota students and hyperbarics intern year. Hyperbarics chamber was gorgeous. Twin cities are gorgeous. Rotated here. loved the Pit boss role. Clinical ability is crazy no wonder residents getting offers for jobs starting their first months as interns. Great legacy 2nd oldest program, birthplace of resucitation rooms and POCUS. "classic powerhouse"

N: Minneapolis is really cold and it snows a lot but a lot of the residents don't have 4wd cars and are still fine. Neurosurgery 6 weeks which is pretty much Neuro ICU. They are trying to change it from 6 to 4 weeks. Peds medical acuity supposedly lower but peds trauma procedures are abundant. Most other residencies it seemed like peds trauma procedures were always an issue with PICU fellows taking procedures but thats not the case there as HCMC is a trauma 1 peds center also. Less academic and community experience then Denver health.

3) McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
P: Fit was really great. Residents and faculty were so welcoming. Big fan of their twitter culture. Like the NUEM blog. Heard really positive responses from residents about New PD Dr. Bailitz bedside teaching approach and ultrasound emphasis coming from Cook County. Best pay supposedly in chicago. Residents very smart and accomplished. 3rd oldest program starting 1973 behind U cincinnati and hennepin. Great legacy. Surprised program not higher on doximity but who cares.

N: Parking not paid for, chicago is also cold especially with the wind. 4 years but residents said that postgrads have gotten academic positions at big universities without needing a fellowship. Less county experience only a few months at cook county and a few in Gary Indiana

4) Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
P: Happiest residents I met on the trail. Energy was infectious. Great 3 year program. Residents and faculty seemed like great friends together. Dr. Egan is so nice. Great new fun curriculum change from the APD that previously trained at Highland. 2 site county academic training model. Great reputation in the EM field. Great job placement.

N: NYC is very expensive but subsidized housing helps. For sure not a negative for me but maybe for others that this is lower on doximity. Who knows if training in nyc will be that much "worse" than the other programs above. Who knows if "less reputable" program grads are actually less prepared than "historic program" grads. After 5 years as an attending everyone will probably be the same.

5) Carolinas Medical Center
P: Amazing job placement, great reputation, "classic powerhouse". 3 years. Amazing food stipend. Single site sounds awesome. Loved the residents and faculty. 3 months elective. Constantly looking to improve and not resting on laurels. PD vision is to constantly refine and add new opportunities for residents to stay at the top. Charlotte seeing big increase in population and in diversity so increasing volume and patient diversity. SO was happy that the hospital area is very safe which is only really possible because this is an academic tertiary community hospital but still gets all the county patients from a huge catchment area because there is not actual county hospital.

N: program would be higher probably fight for top 2 but SO has family in the area and wants to move away from the South for now. Negatives that don't affect my decision but may be of interest to others is that they have a pediatric floor month but I like peds so no big deal. They have supposedly less em months than some other programs which doesn't matter to me because they have more than some programs and less than others but they always turns out superb grads. Quality over quantity.

6) Los Angeles County - Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
P: Love the teaching shifts. Residents super cohesive. Cafeteria food was pretty good. Really enjoyed talking to faculty during the lunch break. Best conference I saw hands down. Would be awesome to live on the beach. Nice to get more pay for being multilingual. Nice touch that you get to watch the youtube video about the program beforehand. Facility is gorgeous. Would be interesting experience to cover floor codes and ED patients.

N: No international trips. Didn't get a chance to interview with the PD which i think is kind of a red flag. Feel like every interviewer should get the chance to at least have a mini interview with the PD. If it wasn't for the chance not to interview with the PD the program would be much higher probably top 3. Traffic sucks. Very little EM months in the first year.

7) Maricopa Medical Center
P: Great sell by PD about finding unique individuals to foster their niche. Fun residents. Great program

N: Big changes with Creighton university and the facilities. Didn't vibe well with other faculty interviewers.

8) Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center / Olive View UCLA Medical Center
P: Nice 50 50 county tertiary mix. Residents were really happy.

N: Faculty was pretty cold and SO didn't want to live in that part of LA

9) Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center
P: Great reputation and marketing with Code black documentary and tv show.

N: To me seemed pretentious about mission to underserved. So didn't want to live in that part of LA. Residents unexpectedly burnt out because Denver residents were not and I had heard worse of the Denver health burnout. Didn't vibe as well with the residents and faculty. Don't think the reputation here would make any difference compared to many of the other classic power house programs listed above.

10) University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
P: Leading the field and continuing to do it. Super strong in EMS

N: EMS is something I don't see myself going into. Didn't like the location at all. SO didn't like the location either.

11) Alameda Health System - Highland Hospital
P: Oldest program in the Bay area. Strong mission to the underserved. Very diverse residents and faculty. Love the bay area and have family nearby

N: Did not fit along well with residents or faculty. Similar feel to USC LA county with elitist vibe but even worse because of their calling to serving the underserved community.

12) Emory University School of Medicine
P: Great program. 3 years. Multiple sites for clinical training.

N: super consult heavy. Really disliked Atlanta. SO didn't want to stay in the south. Advisor told me to keep it on as 12 for a back up program otherwise I would have not ranked it all.

Invited to interview, but declined: Stanford, UCI, UC Davis, Orlando Health, OHSU, UCSF, NYU, Mount Sinai, U Michigan, UTSW, Regions

Rejected by: Vanderbilt, MGH, BIDMC

Looking at the rank list thread:

Students: "No way can I compete with these levels of candidates. Time to plan for the SOAP"
Me: "Not a single person interviewed at my program. Time to plan for the SOAP. "

Reactions: 26 users
Looking at the rank list thread:

Students: "No way can I compete with these levels of candidates. Time to plan for the SOAP"
Me: "Not a single person interviewed at my program. Time to plan for the SOAP. "

I feel ya. Not a single person has discussed the program I'm at and we are an old program in the Southwest.

SDN rank list drinking game:

Anytime some lists Denver or Carolinas, take a shot.
Anytime someone says the declined an interview at Denver or Carolinas, take 4 shots.

Make sure you add a shot anytime Vandy and education are in the same sentence, or St. Lukes and wellness.

Reactions: 4 users