[2017-2018] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I understand and agree, but I still think it would be good if the SLOE process was somehow more transparent to the students. The student above that I was referring to seems to have been blindsided, since he said he was assured good remarks in his SLOE but it seems the opposite happened. It seems to be a problem since there is a thread here telling people which places to avoid that may blindside and give bad SLOEs. He seems to be a decent guy since his deans letter which reflects third year clinical evals was good. Perhaps he rubbed someone the wrong way in one of his EM rotations, but it would be good if that someone could have brought it up with him instead of potentially writing an awful comment which is now hurting his chances. In one of my rotations it was as simple as doing uworld questions on my phone, and the resident never brought it up with me but wrote in my feedback comments that I was constantly texting.

I understand your concern. I'm sure everyone would love the process to be more transparent. But it can't be as simple as knowing exactly what the SLOE says, otherwise the SLOE doesnt carry the same weight. Basically it allows programs to know what another program is going to rank a student. That is insane level of important info in terms of knowing how good a student is. If its not blinded, people will over-rate students so as not to hurt their feelings, much like grades are now where 90% of people get honors or HP. I do agree though, no program should tell a student they are going to write them a good SLOE, then blindside them with something terrible. That's very unprofessional.

Members don't see this ad.

Besides the obvious interest in EM, is there any benefit in going to the ACEP residency fair from an applicant stand point?

Members don't see this ad :)
As a student? I mean, if your entire reason to go is to network, then I'd just go to the residency fair. If you want to go for educational purposes, then go to the conference.

Not this year. Only goal this year is interviews. Educational purposes can wait till intern year LMAO. (plus our rotations only give us so many days off :/)

The ironic thing is that most residents skip the conference lectures and just go for the dinners and parties.

As far as ACEP goes for the residency fair - Do we bring resumes to hand out? Just ask questions of the programs? How exactly do you approach the subject of wanting an interview with their program without being too bold or obnoxious??

So created this new profile for anonymity purposes (and am paranoid af)...Nontrad applicant, decided late in the game (as my username so aptly states), only 1 SLOE from EM req'd clerkship taken late in 4th year...basically all the "red flags" you could have (didn't match to original chosen specialty, switched to EM after exposure around the same point in time as (no)Match week, only got P for clerkship [H/HP everything else...], no aways, stigma of "choosing EM as back-up", did not do SVI [had NO IDEA the due date was 1.5 months before ERAS even opened...til opening ERAS for first time 9/1, fml...LORs/SLOE weren't uploaded until 10/1 so application "completed" late comparatively on 10/2 [switch reject from WVU bc completed app was due 10/1]- yep, thats me! To say I am TERRIFIED is an understatement, and know that EM is super competitive now PLUS has all these EM-only specifications and requirements (like SLOEs) making this endeavor even more implausible. Everything else on CV is good (Step 1/2 250+, Research, leadership experience, etc etc), didn't match bc of other issues (and no, it was not my personality - or lack thereof - nor terrible interview skills, just take my word for it). My question is, I don't actually know what my question is as this is not a "What are my Chances" post (bc who can really offer anything but opinions or anecdotes from previous experience?) Applied BROADLY (except minimally to Tx and Cali, they are too selective with state ties etc) to 100+ programs though app completed "late" and won't meet some of those programs' basic requirements vs soft "strongly suggested to have 2 EM LORs or SLOEs". Am actually somewhat fortunate I guess with the responses I've had thus far when reading some people's posts with 0-1 IIs as I currently have 6 interviews scheduled, and 1 "waitlist". I guess I just needed to share and maybe I will ask/unashamedly beg - if anyone wants to give up their U Arkansas interview date (I know some of y'all may be holding on and have like 20+ IIs) and collaborate with me to take their spot, will LITERALLY pay you $$!! Otherwise, best of luck to all and hope things just work out for all of us this cycle!

Last edited:
So created this new profile for anonymity purposes (and am paranoid af)...Nontrad applicant, decided late in the game (as my username so aptly states), only 1 SLOE from EM req'd clerkship taken late in 4th year...basically all the "red flags" you could have (didn't match to original chosen specialty, switched to EM after exposure around the same point in time as (no)Match week, only got P for clerkship [H/HP everything else...], no aways, stigma of "choosing EM as back-up", did not do SVI [had NO IDEA the due date was 1.5 months before ERAS even opened...til opening ERAS for first time 9/1, fml...LORs/SLOE weren't uploaded until 10/1 so application "completed" late comparatively on 10/2 [switch reject from WVU bc completed app was due 10/1]- yep, thats me! To say I am TERRIFIED is an understatement, and know that EM is super competitive now PLUS has all these EM-only specifications and requirements (like SLOEs) making this endeavor even more implausible. Everything else on CV is good (Step 1/2 250+, Research in other specialty with 7 pubs (only 1 first author), leadership experience in student-lead medical clinic, AdComm for med school, teaching in UG and med school, volunteer work, exec committee for local AMA-MSS group and interest group, etc etc), didn't match bc of other issues (and no, it was not my personality - or lack thereof - nor terrible interview skills, just take my word for it). I know my deficits (which I cannot nor will not go into detail here) which stems from things related to my NonTrad path, and really nothing can be changed about it at this point. In a Surgery Prelim year now, already had year out of research between MS3 and MS4 so extending graduation and doing another research year wouldn't add any benefit to my application. My question is, I don't actually know what my question is as this is not a "What are my Chances" post (bc who can really offer anything but opinions or anecdotes from previous experience?) Applied BROADLY (except minimally to Tx and Cali, they are too selective with state ties etc) to 100+ programs though app completed "late" and won't meet some of those programs' basic requirements vs soft "strongly suggested to have 2 EM LORs or SLOEs". Am actually somewhat fortunate I guess with the responses I've had thus far when reading some people's posts with 0-1 IIs as I currently have 6 interviews scheduled (1 med school home and 1 @ Prelim home program), and 1 "waitlist". I guess I just needed to share and maybe I will ask/unashamedly beg - if anyone wants to give up their U Arkansas interview date (I know some of y'all may be holding on and have like 20+ IIs) and collaborate with me to take their spot, will LITERALLY pay you $$!! Otherwise, best of luck to all and hope things just work out for all of us this cycle!
Dude... wtf... you can’t just walk in to somebody else’s scheduled interview.

The fact that you think you could walk into a PD’s office, stick your hand out, and say “Nice to meet you. John couldn’t make it but I’m here instead,” blows my mind. I almost didn’t post his because, frankly, I’d like to see you do it

Reactions: 7 users
I have been waitlisted at a few of the west coast programs like Stanford, UCSF, U wash and was wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of getting an interview if waitlisted at one of those programs or in general at any waitlisted program?

Members don't see this ad :)
So created this new profile for anonymity purposes (and am paranoid af)...Nontrad applicant, decided late in the game (as my username so aptly states), only 1 SLOE from EM req'd clerkship taken late in 4th year...basically all the "red flags" you could have (didn't match to original chosen specialty, switched to EM after exposure around the same point in time as (no)Match week, only got P for clerkship [H/HP everything else...], no aways, stigma of "choosing EM as back-up", did not do SVI [had NO IDEA the due date was 1.5 months before ERAS even opened...til opening ERAS for first time 9/1, fml...LORs/SLOE weren't uploaded until 10/1 so application "completed" late comparatively on 10/2 [switch reject from WVU bc completed app was due 10/1]- yep, thats me! To say I am TERRIFIED is an understatement, and know that EM is super competitive now PLUS has all these EM-only specifications and requirements (like SLOEs) making this endeavor even more implausible. Everything else on CV is good (Step 1/2 250+, Research in other specialty with 7 pubs (only 1 first author), leadership experience in student-lead medical clinic, AdComm for med school, teaching in UG and med school, volunteer work, exec committee for local AMA-MSS group and interest group, etc etc), didn't match bc of other issues (and no, it was not my personality - or lack thereof - nor terrible interview skills, just take my word for it). I know my deficits (which I cannot nor will not go into detail here) which stems from things related to my NonTrad path, and really nothing can be changed about it at this point. In a Surgery Prelim year now, already had year out of research between MS3 and MS4 so extending graduation and doing another research year wouldn't add any benefit to my application. My question is, I don't actually know what my question is as this is not a "What are my Chances" post (bc who can really offer anything but opinions or anecdotes from previous experience?) Applied BROADLY (except minimally to Tx and Cali, they are too selective with state ties etc) to 100+ programs though app completed "late" and won't meet some of those programs' basic requirements vs soft "strongly suggested to have 2 EM LORs or SLOEs". Am actually somewhat fortunate I guess with the responses I've had thus far when reading some people's posts with 0-1 IIs as I currently have 6 interviews scheduled (1 med school home and 1 @ Prelim home program), and 1 "waitlist". I guess I just needed to share and maybe I will ask/unashamedly beg - if anyone wants to give up their U Arkansas interview date (I know some of y'all may be holding on and have like 20+ IIs) and collaborate with me to take their spot, will LITERALLY pay you $$!! Otherwise, best of luck to all and hope things just work out for all of us this cycle!

out of curiosity, what 6 places are you interviewing?

Dude... wtf... you can’t just walk in to somebody else’s scheduled interview.

The fact that you think you could walk into a PD’s office, stick your hand out, and say “Nice to meet you. John couldn’t make it but I’m here instead,” blows my mind. I almost didn’t post his because, frankly, I’d like to see you do it

WTF, is this for real. How did you interpret this as a showing up in person situation? Anyway, Take their spot = collaborate on cancelling said interview while I am able to then schedule one with opening IN ERAS INTERVIEW SCHEDULER. Thought that would have been understood...but the specialty I applied to last year, this was a normal thing to pay people to give up or exchange interviews.
The fact that you derived the conclusion that John Smith randomly shows up to Jane Smith's scheduled interview BLOWS MY MIND.
I should have predicted that SDN replies would be f'n rude and condescending rather than supportive or just refrain from commenting...

WTF, is this for real. How did you interpret this as a showing up in person situation? Anyway, Take their spot = collaborate on cancelling said interview while I am able to then schedule one with opening IN ERAS INTERVIEW SCHEDULER. Thought that would have been understood...but the specialty I applied to last year, this was a normal thing to pay people to give up or exchange interviews.
The fact that you derived the conclusion that John Smith randomly shows up to Jane Smith's scheduled interview BLOWS MY MIND.
I should have predicted that SDN replies would be f'n rude and condescending rather than supportive or just refrain from commenting...

That’s not how cancellations work. When someone cancels the program can invite whoever they want to interview. You paying someone to cancel their interview opens up a spot for a hundred other people, why would you think it would only go to you?

Also, and honestly this isnt meant to be rude, but if you are the type of person trying to game the system and buy your way into interviews, no one wants that kind of person in their program. I get this is anonymous, but EM docs usually can spot unethical shady people from a mile away. We see them daily in the ED. You really need to rethink how you are approaching your career ethically.

Reactions: 6 users
That’s not how cancellations work. When someone cancels the program can invite whoever they want to interview. You paying someone to cancel their interview opens up a spot for a hundred other people, why would you think it would only go to you?

Also, and honestly this isnt meant to be rude, but if you are the type of person trying to game the system and buy your way into interviews, no one wants that kind of person in their program. I get this is anonymous, but EM docs usually can spot unethical shady people from a mile away. We see them daily in the ED. You really need to rethink how you are approaching your career ethically.

Okay, wait, before we all jump down the OP's throat, there's a tiny bit of background that I think will help - Arkansas is using ERAS scheduler, and has sent out more interviews than there are spots. Arkansas has also NOT enabled the ERAS scheduler waitlist feature, for reasons unknown to me, which is fairly unique. Therefore, the only way for an invited applicant who has not yet been able to secure a date is for that applicant to happen to be looking at ERAS scheduler mere moments after another applicant has cancelled his or her own interview. I take this to mean that the OP was invited to interview at Arkansas, was not able to secure a spot, and is trying to find someone to drop their interview while the OP is ready to pounce on it.

The OP may be misguided, but... slightly less misguided than I think a lot of people are assuming. I'm not thrilled with the way that Arkansas is handling this, as it favors chance and neurotic F5ing rather than any sense of fairness or waiting your turn. I wish they would just enable the built-in waitlist feature! That being said, coordinating with someone else is...not in the spirit of the game, if that makes sense.

OP, I already withdrew my UAMS application, but I hope there's waitlist movement and you get the interview date of your dreams. It's tough out there for everyone, especially reapplicants, and I hope you have a positive outcome this season.

Okay, wait, before we all jump down the OP's throat, there's a tiny bit of background that I think will help - Arkansas is using ERAS scheduler, and has sent out more interviews than there are spots. Arkansas has also NOT enabled the ERAS scheduler waitlist feature, for reasons unknown to me, which is fairly unique. Therefore, the only way for an invited applicant who has not yet been able to secure a date is for that applicant to happen to be looking at ERAS scheduler mere moments after another applicant has cancelled his or her own interview. I take this to mean that the OP was invited to interview at Arkansas, was not able to secure a spot, and is trying to find someone to drop their interview while the OP is ready to pounce on it.

The OP may be misguided, but... slightly less misguided than I think a lot of people are assuming. I'm not thrilled with the way that Arkansas is handling this, as it favors chance and neurotic F5ing rather than any sense of fairness or waiting your turn. I wish they would just enable the built-in waitlist feature! That being said, coordinating with someone else is...not in the spirit of the game, if that makes sense.

OP, I already withdrew my UAMS application, but I hope there's waitlist movement and you get the interview date of your dreams. It's tough out there for everyone, especially reapplicants, and I hope you have a positive outcome this season.

That is one crazy system. Still, I think its unethical to pay people to cancel an interview to free up a spot for yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
That is one crazy system. Still, I think its unethical to pay people to cancel an interview to free up a spot for yourself.

Unethical? Well, agree to disagree. Gaming the system? Okay, sure. A system where more interview invites are intentionally sent than there are spots. No waitlist enabled. Hopeful, neurotic EM applicants obsessively checking ERAS Scheduler to see if *maybe* one spot opened up and by chance you stumble upon it? How is that beneficial to anyone or necessary? This and the other hoops programs implement to assess who really wants to come interview versus who REALLY wants to come interview is just unnecessary. But when there are >200 unmatched US seniors last Match cycle for EM and ~10,000 unmatched US seniors for all specialties, then it just fundamentally comes to a point of desperation, not questionable integrity and ethics. Sorry, I WANT A JOB. And if Joe is sitting on 20 interviews finishing up his pros/cons list and is going to cancel 5 today, then me paying Joe to facilitate me being in a position to scoop up that open spot instead of maybe Jane who has 13 interviews but wants 15 or Jack who has 2 and needs all he can get, what is so wrong with ensuring your own situation is improved and setting yourself up for the best chance of success you can get? Plus, Joe is getting some extra $ to help with the cost of applying/travel to do what he was going to do anyway...Maybe that is rationalization, but not matching is REAL, people with >$200,000 of debt and no job slash potential to pay it back IS REAL. So, and I mean this in the most respectful way, save the sanctimonious judgment, this arrangement is totally within the bounds of the system in place and no rules are broken nor any Match violations occurring, THIS IS MY/OUR FUTURE AT STAKE. When Joe and Jane swap interview dates so they can both attend the respective interviews vs no swapping and neither can make the date assigned so those positions open up to the lottery, is this other scenario different and inherently WORSE? Because there is a financial incentive? Not to me, but I am sure it is to others (who will inevitably LOVE to rip me apart and character assassinate me for it), but y'all likely have NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE being in this situation so have the privilege of casting stones from up there on your 100% gonna match asses.
*END RANT*

And actually, I need to apologize for my hypocrisy and making judgments/attacking the personal characteristics and qualities of others. Not what I intended, but intentions are meaningless in the face of poor actions. This whole thing just sucks, and clearly am a little on edge because of it all. My apologies.

Unethical? Well, agree to disagree. Gaming the system? Okay, sure. A system where more interview invites are intentionally sent than there are spots. No waitlist enabled. Hopeful, neurotic EM applicants obsessively checking ERAS Scheduler to see if *maybe* one spot opened up and by chance you stumble upon it? How is that beneficial to anyone or necessary? This and the other hoops programs implement to assess who really wants to come interview versus who REALLY wants to come interview is just unnecessary. But when there are >200 unmatched US seniors last Match cycle for EM and ~10,000 unmatched US seniors for all specialties, then it just fundamentally comes to a point of desperation, not questionable integrity and ethics. Sorry, I WANT A JOB. And if Joe is sitting on 20 interviews finishing up his pros/cons list and is going to cancel 5 today, then me paying Joe to facilitate me being in a position to scoop up that open spot instead of maybe Jane who has 13 interviews but wants 15 or Jack who has 2 and needs all he can get, what is so wrong with ensuring your own situation is improved and setting yourself up for the best chance of success you can get? Plus, Joe is getting some extra $ to help with the cost of applying/travel to do what he was going to do anyway...Maybe that is rationalization, but not matching is REAL, people with >$200,000 of debt and no job slash potential to pay it back IS REAL. So, and I mean this in the most respectful way, save the sanctimonious judgment, this arrangement is totally within the bounds of the system in place and no rules are broken nor any Match violations occurring, THIS IS MY/OUR FUTURE AT STAKE. When Joe and Jane swap interview dates so they can both attend the respective interviews vs no swapping and neither can make the date assigned so those positions open up to the lottery, is this other scenario different and inherently WORSE? Because there is a financial incentive? Not to me, but I am sure it is to others (who will inevitably LOVE to rip me apart and character assassinate me for it), but y'all likely have NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE being in this situation so have the privilege of casting stones from up there on your 100% gonna match asses.
*END RANT*

And actually, I need to apologize for my hypocrisy and making judgments/attacking the personal characteristics and qualities of others. Not what I intended, but intentions are meaningless in the face of poor actions. This whole thing just sucks, and clearly am a little on edge because of it all. My apologies.

I get your frustration and I'm not passing judgement on you based on what you said, because I know this is a scary time. But I do think you should put some things in perspective. You want a job, your future is at stake, etc. You can have a job. You aren't going to graduate from medical school and be homeless. You aren't going to be working at McDonald's while saddled in 250,000 of debt. This isn't about not finding a job. Its about not getting into EM. You could apply to uncompetitive FP or IM programs and I bet you'd get plenty of interviews. This isn't about not getting a job, its about not getting the job you want (EM). And unfortunately, the reality is, we don't always get what we want. No matter how qualified. I hope for your sake you do match in EM, but if you do or you don't, it probably won't be the last time in your life professionally you are dissatisfied with the outcome. The medical profession will still have its ups and downs. You may not get the job you want coming out of residency. You may get passed over for a promotion you think you deserve. Life is fraught with disappointments, its how you adapt and roll with the punches that will define you. Take a deep breath, this is an anxiety laden time, but just take a second to reflect on why you did this. Why you went through this crazy process to begin with. Remember that if the worst thing you could imagine happening is scrambling into an FP program you don't want to be at, that you would still graduate from there and make more money than 99% of people in the world. The "worst case scenario" of not matching in EM is still ok. It will still be ok. Trust me.

Reactions: 7 users
Lol ok man... I wasn't really thinking about somebody opening a spot on the interview exchange, for a hot second, that you could then snag. I honestly thought you were going to just pop in. That's my bad.

But then you said: "this was a normal thing to pay people to give up or exchange interviews," and I again counter with: "wtf is wrong with you?"

I'm just a dumb ol' future ER doc from the south, but I can legitimately say it has never occurred to me to pay for interview cancellations...

Do you think your attitude portrays you as someone one would want to work with for the next three years?

You have to understand, when you play extra-cutthroat on the interview trail it can get back to people. Don't be that guy. Be cool. Be likable. Be a team player. Don't game the system. One think I love about EM is that it feels like it has a a very low BS factor in the application process. If you're a decent dude (or dudette,) you'll probably find a spot.

**edit- after reading your last post, I will also say that I was a bit of a turd. This is a stressful time, and I legitimately hope your season goes well.

Reactions: 1 users
I would never even think to pay someone and f5 for an interview. I get that it is a competitive and stressful time but damn. And this is coming from a below average applicant (not a 100% match applicant ass - your words) already contemplating a back up plan.

In what specialty is it the norm to pay people to drop interviews? This just feels wrong from an ethics and basic human decency standpoint, but I also can't believe that a school wouldn't immediately cancel your spot if they found out this is how you got it. There's already enough inequity in the world. I know multiple people who were not able to go on as many interviews as they would have liked because they simply can't afford it. I understand that the world is not fair and that people who have money get nicer things than those who don't (better undergrad schools, don't have to work during school so they can spend more time studying, test prep courses/tutors, etc. etc. etc.) but this process sucks enough without gunners trying to game the system.

And this is coming from a mid-tier applicant who did not match last year and am working my ass off this year for another shot at EM.

Reactions: 4 users
In what specialty is it the norm to pay people to drop interviews? This just feels wrong from an ethics and basic human decency standpoint, but I also can't believe that a school wouldn't immediately cancel your spot if they found out this is how you got it. There's already enough inequity in the world. I know multiple people who were not able to go on as many interviews as they would have liked because they simply can't afford it. I understand that the world is not fair and that people who have money get nicer things than those who don't (better undergrad schools, don't have to work during school so they can spend more time studying, test prep courses/tutors, etc. etc. etc.) but this process sucks enough without gunners trying to game the system.

And this is coming from a mid-tier applicant who did not match last year and am working my ass off this year for another shot at EM.
You're high tier to me bruh, if I was a PD, I'd accept you.

Reactions: 3 users
End of the two thread era. I'm going to miss people arguing over which thread we were allowed up ask questions in.

End of the two thread era. I'm going to miss people arguing over which thread we were allowed up ask questions in.
Kids these days, no respect for tradition.

Think we should even bother with a separate Rank Order List thread, or just post the anonymous submissions here?

Reactions: 1 user

Think we should even bother with a separate Rank Order List thread, or just post the anonymous submissions here?
Sacrilege.

Soo.. does USC/LAC's waitlist move at all?

I think having a second rank list thread is worth it so people don't have to look though all app related questions and those threads are always gold

I think having a second rank list thread is worth it so people don't have to look though all app related questions and those threads are always gold

Probably should start it late december/january, so the paranoia doesnt kick in and people have actually been on most of their interviews.

Probably should start it late december/january, so the paranoia doesnt kick in and people have actually been on most of their interviews.

O I definitely agree. If anyone already has a set in stone rank list at this point I'm a a little worried for them

Someone asked this on the spreadsheet and I figured I'd repost it here for a signal boost:

Anyone have the pre-interview dates/time/location for NYP Cornell/Columbia? ERAS is down and I didn't save the attachment with all the info.

Is it still too early to send out letters of intent? Sitting on 5 interviews and 2 waitlists and getting a little ancy.

Is it still too early to send out letters of intent? Sitting on 5 interviews and 2 waitlists and getting a little ancy.

Yep, go for it. I've sent two already, and one updated me on my status (waitlisted sadly) but others have been sending them and some getting good results.

A letter of interest definitely helped me snag an interview a week ago. Highly recommend.

What is the expected/recommended etiquette for such emails? What does one say, who does one contact? PD?

I addressed the email to the PD and cc'd the program coordinator, and I explained what draws me to the program and how the program aligns with my career goals. I didn't have any specific ties to the program or the area, but if I did, I would have described those too.

I got invited by a program to their Interview Broker but had to be on the waitlist because all the interview spots were full. In these situations, do we get notifications if an interview spot opens up or do we have to neurotically check their interview broker page?

I got invited by a program to their Interview Broker but had to be on the waitlist because all the interview spots were full. In these situations, do we get notifications if an interview spot opens up or do we have to neurotically check their interview broker page?

If you’ve selected all the dates you want on the WL section of Interview Broker, it’s automatic to get put in a spot. You’ll get an email telling you what date you got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the waitlist feature on interview broker is enough to prevent the constant F5. Just Waitlist a date and if a spot opens up you or someone else wait listed will get it.

So for those of us still at low #s of II at this point? What shall we do? Too late to apply to backups?

So for those of us still at low #s of II at this point? What shall we do? Too late to apply to backups?
Post more info for specific advice, but one option is to utilize the contacts you've made at your home program - have faculty mentors reach out to programs on your behalf if they have connections.

Post more info for specific advice, but one option is to utilize the contacts you've made at your home program - have faculty mentors reach out to programs on your behalf if they have connections.
DO student - 75 apps - 240s/250s steps, Honors 2 EM rotations - sitting at 5 interviews/1 waitlist/6 rejections?

If the email didn't specify how to dress for the pre interview dinner do you assume business casual? This dinner is at a pizza place so I feel like it's a bit much, but don't want to be underdressed.

#theimportantthings