2017-2018 Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the call! Interviewer PP, it seems revisit will be the first week of April.

Members don't see this ad.

Got the call at 3:17 EST! Interviewed with Dr. KA in mid-September. Didn't expect him to call, but he came through. :)

Also got the "strongly in mind" letter from Dean Nicholas without a request for update!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive tried telling myselfmhat all day. Except that I’m sure the other interviewers are busy too. And if the call was going to come from the admissions office, that would happen before 5.

I had her too, she was so hard to read during my interview. Good luck to both of you!

Reactions: 1 user
Ive tried telling myselfmhat all day. Except that I’m sure the other interviewers are busy too. And if the call was going to come from the admissions office, that would happen before 5.
I don't think that's true - they might just have put if off or postponed calling and not told admissions. Something tells me this isn't top priority for them necessarily.

My interviewer is an orthopedic surgeon, and from what I can tell never calls.....(from previous years).....

I only know of one person to have interviewed with the person I did and it was the person right before me. No sign of their initials on any old thread either.

It seemed to go great but I guess the committee makes the decision in the end.

How i feel rn

2f7.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, real talk. For those who are enrolled at P&S or have stalked previous years’ threads, can you be accepted without a phone call? If so, how will you be notified?

Reactions: 6 users
So, real talk. For those who are enrolled at P&S or have stalked previous years’ threads, can you be accepted without a phone call? If so, how will you be notified?
Also wanting to know this

The Mayo scandal must have scarred me, I can't stand admissions "call" days.

Reactions: 4 users
Curious about this too - my interviewer hasn’t called... basically ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For those of us who gave up at 5:00 are we all looking at wait list tomorrow or should some of us prepare for the bigger wallop of being rejected?

Reactions: 1 users
Tbh I felt my interview went really well and my interviewer actually said really nice things about me and I felt confident about it but like I haven’t heard anything yet ugh!!!!

Reactions: 5 users

Seems like there’s going to be a portal update tomorrow. If you look at last years thread, a couple people got accepted without a phone call.

What is this Mayo scandal?
They were incredibly unprofessional this applications cycle in a lot of ways but they main scandal was the fact that they sent many communications to a huge portion of the interviewers leading them to believe they had a very high chance of acceptance and then rejected them.

Still no calls from DB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did it take them multiple days to contact everyone last year? I just want to know one way or another!!!!!!

For those of us who gave up at 5:00 are we all looking at wait list tomorrow or should some of us prepare for the bigger wallop of being rejected?
If I recall correctly, they dont reject very many people (~10%)

So let's consolidate some info here. Based on past year threads, yes there are cases of acceptance, verified via portal update, without a call the day prior. Also there are cases of calls going out after the initial day. Also there are calls going to somewhere else like home phones.

However, the main difference this year is adcom staff calling, in place of interviewers who don't call. AFAIK this wasn't the case in previous years.

It just seems odd that there are so few self-reported acceptances on day 1 of outcome release. Objectively I don't think we are worse off stats-wise on a year-by-year comparison. Yet we only see like 6 or 7 good news today, compared to 10+ from the year before.

Okay someone call admissions and ask for your decision lol
My friend (a non-pre med person who is just a really good homie watching me die of anxiety today) called the office and got no answer (around 4:30 pm). I bet they just decided to stop taking calls from people at some point this afternoon.

Wish someone made a list of what interviewers didn't make calls or called the next day. Also, it would make sense for adcom members not to call if your interviewer typically calls at a later time.

Got a call from RL! I didn't send a thank you letter so can't contribute to that

Just got the call from Dr. WC!! :soexcited:For anyone out there worrying like I was, she said she was busy reading echocardiograms all day and didn't get the chance until this evening

Reactions: 7 users