2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats you guys! I'm interviewing here next Friday and I'm so excited!!
Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many people are interviewed on one day?

Did anyone bring a birth certificate or passport with them to their interview? I have no idea where my birth certificate is but will definitely get to work finding it if they make copies of it or what not on interview day.

Did anyone bring a birth certificate or passport with them to their interview? I have no idea where my birth certificate is but will definitely get to work finding it if they make copies of it or what not on interview day.

They said to bring one or the other as proof of citizenship

They asked for my passport specifically when I got there so I would bring one of the two

Brought my birth certificate. They make copies of it on interview day.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to all of us interviewing Friday, flying out from NY tmmrw!

Last edited:
Who is interviewing tomorrow and wants to grab a bite with me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Those who were accepted, do you remember when they said they would send the matriculation packet through email? I got the deposit instructions but Bob Willis said they would send a packet as well. Just wondering when I should expect it.

Those who were accepted, do you remember when they said they would send the matriculation packet through email? I got the deposit instructions but Bob Willis said they would send a packet as well. Just wondering when I should expect it.
I sent my deposit in and they emailed back saying they received it and that they'd update us at a later date.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I was accepted early September. They send 2 emails and an official acceptance letter in the mail so far.

I’m assuming they would send a matriculation packet after you submit the deposit, but I can’t say for sure. I haven’t submitted a deposit yet and haven’t received anything in the mail except for my acceptance letter.

Matriculation packets come in February

I’m assuming they would send a matriculation packet after you submit the deposit, but I can’t say for sure. I haven’t submitted a deposit yet and haven’t received anything in the mail except for my acceptance letter.

I sent my deposit in and they emailed back saying they received it and that they'd update us at a later date.

Approximately how long after the phone call did you get the acceptance letter in the mail? Thanks.

Approximately how long after the phone call did you get the acceptance letter in the mail? Thanks.

Probably like a couple weeks, but I got an email right away.

Hmm, I completely forgot about the hard copy letter. I was accepted in mid-August, but I didn't get a letter in the mail either.

Hmm, I completely forgot about the hard copy letter. I was accepted in mid-August, but I didn't get a letter in the mail either.
I would email them and ask. No harm since you're accepted

A few weeks after I got the email I got the hard copy.

Interviewed here yesterday and absolutely loved it.

Great facilities and wonderful people! Seem to really have their act together too on rotations and board scores moving forward.

Interviewed here yesterday and absolutely loved it.

Great facilities and wonderful people! Seem to really have their act together too on rotations and board scores moving forward.

If they haven't told the interview groups, ACOM added a mandatory hospice rotation this year for third year, and two weeks ago, they surprised us with a mandatory OPP rotation in Dothan.

If they haven't told the interview groups, ACOM added a mandatory hospice rotation this year for third year, and two weeks ago, they surprised us with a mandatory OPP rotation in Dothan.
Interesting. How do the students feel about that?

Not happy.

IMO, required hospice rotations are not a bad idea. Too many physicians aren’t comfortable with death. But mandatory OPP? Get out of here.

Is OPP to be completed in 3rd or 4th year? Having so much time for electives/auditions in 4th year is one of the main reasons I would choose ACOM.

Reactions: 2 users
IMO, required hospice rotations are not a bad idea. Too many physicians aren’t comfortable with death. But mandatory OPP? Get out of here.

Is OPP to be completed in 3rd or 4th year? Having so much time for electives/auditions in 4th year is one of the main reasons I would choose ACOM.

The plan now is to have the 4 weeks of OPP completed during 3rd year and there were talks of a 2 week OPP session during 4th year, but they're still working on that. They said that COCA requires all accredited DO schools to have this OPP requirement. So now we're down to 2 electives third year and 7 electives fourth year.

The plan now is to have the 4 weeks of OPP completed during 3rd year and there were talks of a 2 week OPP session during 4th year, but they're still working on that. They said that COCA requires all accredited DO schools to have this OPP requirement. So now we're down to 2 electives third year and 7 electives fourth year.

Oh i see. I assumed you meant in addition to something they already had. I’m surprised they didn’t already have mandatory OPP as a rotation.

Well, the only thing I wrote down in my notes for negatives about the school (other than location lol) was their heavy emphasis on OMT. So I'm glad I know about this necessary OPP rotation.

I had a really great interview that kind of made me feel a lot better about it and we talked about other things that ACOM has to offer. I did feel like that one presentation about OMT at the interview was a little too much lol.

Oh i see. I assumed you meant in addition to something they already had. I’m surprised they didn’t already have mandatory OPP as a rotation.

I had a really great interview that kind of made me feel a lot better about it and we talked about other things that ACOM has to offer. I did feel like that one presentation about OMT at the interview was a little too much lol.

That's because we have awesome OMT professors and ACOM was probably trying to sell that during the interviews. I think the class is more unhappy at the fact that this was a surprise add on after three months of clinicals, and that we had to rearrange our schedules and living arrangements.

Also interviewed here on Friday and was super impressed, everyone in Dothan are so welcoming!

I'd like to add in relation to the additional/new clinical rotation cores, that ACOM has informed students they will be provided housing for the Dothan based OPP rotation if you in fact move for your clinical rotations. I personally am happy about the new cores. We will all have a patient one day who is dying of a terminal illness and having even a little bit of experience in hospice medicine will prepare us for that.

I am also happy about the OPP rotation. This is a DO school where we learn the additional low risk tools of OMT to help our patients. If used and documented correctly they can not only be a source of income but can improve patient outcomes. ACOM still has a huge number of elective and selective rotations sites in comparison to the other 5 schools I interviewed before attending ACOM. Granted I don't have stats on this information around the country, but that was my finding!

And yes, our OPP faculty is very passionate about the program. They are smart, extremely generous with their time, and prepare us so well for boards I haven't missed an OPP practice question yet (on the material we've covered). It's hard for me to find fault in that!

Reactions: 4 users
I was trying to notify an update on my MCAT score (10 points increase within a month), but I have not gotten an email response back from the admission office. Any suggestions?

I was put on deferred before I got my new MCAT score.

I was trying to notify an update on my MCAT score (10 points increase within a month), but I have not gotten an email response back from the admission office. Any suggestions?

I was put on deferred before I got my new MCAT score.

Give them a call! Someone in the admissions office should be able to help you.

I'd like to add in relation to the additional/new clinical rotation cores, that ACOM has informed students they will be provided housing for the Dothan based OPP rotation if you in fact move for your clinical rotations. I personally am happy about the new cores. We will all have a patient one day who is dying of a terminal illness and having even a little bit of experience in hospice medicine will prepare us for that.

I am also happy about the OPP rotation. This is a DO school where we learn the additional low risk tools of OMT to help our patients. If used and documented correctly they can not only be a source of income but can improve patient outcomes. ACOM still has a huge number of elective and selective rotations sites in comparison to the other 5 schools I interviewed before attending ACOM. Granted I don't have stats on this information around the country, but that was my finding!

And yes, our OPP faculty is very passionate about the program. They are smart, extremely generous with their time, and prepare us so well for boards I haven't missed an OPP practice question yet (on the material we've covered). It's hard for me to find fault in that!
Thank you for the insight! I did really love the school and the faculty do seem to love what they do. I can definitely see myself going to acom :)

Give them a call! Someone in the admissions office should be able to help you.
Thank you.
How are my chances with 3.65c, 3.55s, and MCAT 498 (increase from 488 in a month) and lots of E.C.?

Thank you.
How are my chances with 3.65c, 3.55s, and MCAT 498 (increase from 488 in a month) and lots of E.C.?

I interviewed in September and was accepted with a 498 (previous 489/487 in 2015). GPAs were wayyyyyyyyyyy (like way) lower then that. I do however have a variety of experience, research and two Masters degrees. But number wise you fine, just have an excellent story to tell and fit there mission. Be truthful and well-rounded, you’ll get an interview I’m sure. Good luck!

Thank you.

I can tell you my GPA was way lower than yours when I was accepted. I took the old MCAT so I don't know the best way to compare. ACOM, like any school, is about the fit. I am an ambassador here (I help out with interview tours-- hope to see you soon!) and have been told several times by members of the admissions committee that grades are important to demonstrate your ability to succeed in medical school, but ACOM definitely considers your experiences and who you are, because those things are also important! A lot of medical schools say that, but I believe ACOM takes it seriously.

I can tell you my GPA was way lower than yours when I was accepted. I took the old MCAT so I don't know the best way to compare. ACOM, like any school, is about the fit. I am an ambassador here (I help out with interview tours-- hope to see you soon!) and have been told several times by members of the admissions committee that grades are important to demonstrate your ability to succeed in medical school, but ACOM definitely considers your experiences and who you are, because those things are also important! A lot of medical schools say that, but I believe ACOM takes it seriously.
Hi! What is the "fit" that you believe ACOM is looking for in particular? I have done my research, however a current student perspective would be awesome!

It feels like it's been forever since I've been on SDN but if anyone has any questions I can help answer feel free to ask! I'm an OMS-1 and couldn't be happier to be at ACOM!

It feels like it's been forever since I've been on SDN but if anyone has any questions I can help answer feel free to ask! I'm an OMS-1 and couldn't be happier to be at ACOM!

thanks for making yourself available! to echo the above, how would you characterize the fit for ACOM?

why did you choose to go to ACOM? how have your expectations changed since matriculating?

Vague question here but what makes you happy about ACOM. I interview here this week.

Does anybody know what percent of interviewees get accepted after the interview?

Does anybody know what percent of interviewees get accepted after the interview?
They told my interview group that they interview roughly 600 people and offer acceptances to 400. So 66% acceptance rate.

Wow thats pretty awesome that is high
Well when you consider that they are aware of people getting accepted to either MD programs or other DO schools that are more established, they know they have to build a healthy acceptance list. They even said as much during my interview day.

We have our molecular exam up in a week but I'll be happy to answer anything you guys want to know as well. Just shoot me a message or post it here for other people to answer it.