2016 Match Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about DMV programs?

hopkins vs univ of maryland vs georgetown vs george washington

Members don't see this ad.

It varies too much to say reliably. I send letters to the top of my list that state that they will match with us if they want to, but I do not send it to anyone beyond the ones that are guaranteed. The rest get very encouraging letters, but no commitment.
The issue is that ranked to match can mean different things to different people. To me, it means that if I have 15 spots and you are in the top 15, you are ranked to match. That is a purist approach. To others it means, we typically go to number 80 to fill 15 spots and you're in our top 80, so, you are RTM. So, if they have a really good match and only go to 60, it appears that they have lied to you. That is the non-purist approach.
I have heard of one PD who believed in full disclosure and told people to email them later if they wanted to know where they are on the rank list. He would then give the previous years' match stats and assign a probability of matching at the program based on that information. That's the full disclosure approach. I think those are rare, just as the candidates that give full disclosure are not the norm.
I truly believe that the non-purist PD's do not try to intentionally deceive, so if they tell you that you are RTM, they likely believe it.
All of that being said, you, as the applicant, have no way of knowing which approach the PD is taking when they make that statement unless you have a very frank conversation with them or with someone else who does know their history (for example, if a resident tells you that it is a big deal that you got that letter because most do not). So, applicants are left in the dark as far as knowing whose words to trust and whose not to trust. You will likely not have a sense of this type of information (if the PD's word is to be trusted or not) until you are well into or almost finished with your residency.

Are you saying that if we didn't get RTM emails from a program that sends them, we're not going to match?

Are you saying that if we didn't get RTM emails from a program that sends them, we're not going to match?

According to the post, if the program takes the "purist" approach, then there's no way to tell. If the program takes the "non-purist" approach, then there's a good chance you won't match (but that isn't 100%).

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright so I've been rethinking my list over and over again and now I'm not sure about programs 3-6.
The programs in question are: NYU, Cornell, USC, UCI

NYU/Cornell - I liked these two programs. The changes in leadership seemed to have moved things in a positive direction for Cornell.
NYU - this was probably my favorite overall program. I got a great vibe from the residents/faculty. If this program was in LA/SF I would rank it #1 no question.

USC/UCI
USC - I admittedly did not a great feel from this program on interview day. The day was a bit disorganized, we didn't have very many residents show up to our pre-interview happy hour (though it was late in interview season so I kind of understand). They are very comfortable in being a non academic program. I had heard some concerns about having too many Foreign medical attendings who have difficulty communicating with residents and thus there isn't much teaching going on.

UCI - I had a good interview day here, but there was a previous thread that was pretty concerning to me:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/usc-vs-cedars-sinai-vs-ucla.945698/#post-13126100
On interview day the residents alluded to the fact that they do work in the 65-70 hour range so at least that part of the post is true. This makes me a bit nervous about the truth to the rest of the post.
There have also been recent changes to the program (Dr. Kain stepped down, PD is possibly stepping down).

Basically LA>NYC for me but I don' tfeel the programs in SoCal are as strong. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Alright so I've been rethinking my list over and over again and now I'm not sure about programs 3-6.

NYU/Cornell - I liked these two programs. The changes in leadership seemed to have moved things in a positive direction for Cornell.
NYU - this was probably my favorite overall program. I got a great vibe from the residents/faculty. If this program was in LA/SF I would rank it #1 no question.

USC/UCI
USC - I admittedly did not a great feel from this program on interview day. The day was a bit disorganized, we didn't have very many residents show up to our pre-interview happy hour (though it was late in interview season so I kind of understand). They are very comfortable in being a non academic program. I had heard some concerns about having too many Foreign medical attendings who have difficulty communicating with residents and thus there isn't much teaching going on.

UCI - I had a good interview day here, but there was a previous thread that was pretty concerning to me:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/usc-vs-cedars-sinai-vs-ucla.945698/#post-13126100
On interview day the residents alluded to the fact that they do work in the 65-70 hour range so at least that part of the post is true. This makes me a bit nervous about the truth to the rest of the post.
There have also been recent changes to the program (Dr. Kain stepped down, PD is possibly stepping down).

Basically LA>NYC for me but I don' tfeel the programs in SoCal are as strong. Any advice would be much appreciated.

from your post I would do
uci
nyu
cornell
usc

When you only have 10 a year you're going to work a lot. I had similar qualms about higher work hour programs but I decided to stick with them. Hopefully you have enough time to read

My point is that you will likely not know where you stand unless you got a very specific email from the PD, and most probably don't do that.
How PD's handle this is all over the map.

Reactions: 1 user
from your post I would do
uci
nyu
cornell
usc

When you only have 10 a year you're going to work a lot. I had similar qualms about higher work hour programs but I decided to stick with them. Hopefully you have enough time to read

Thanks Psai! Tha't's a good point on reading time. I had similar concerns about Penn (I think we may have been talking about that in another thread?). It did definitely contribute to me ranking them lower.

Re UCI: I interviewed there as well. On the tour, I talked with a resident who was on his cardiac month. I looked up at the board and saw there weren't any cardiac cases going on that day, so I asked what cases he was supposed to do instead. He just shrugged and said just general cases.

I was not impressed.

Re UCI: I interviewed there as well. On the tour, I talked with a resident who was on his cardiac month. I looked up at the board and saw there weren't any cardiac cases going on that day, so I asked what cases he was supposed to do instead. He just shrugged and said just general cases.

I was not impressed.
The better question is whether or not they make the required numbers with a comfortable margin. I certainly wouldn't write off a program because a resident was doing a non-specialty case on a specialty rotation. That's not uncommon.

Caveat, I don't know a thing about the UCI program.

The better question is whether or not they make the required numbers with a comfortable margin. I certainly wouldn't write off a program because a resident was doing a non-specialty case on a specialty rotation. That's not uncommon.

Caveat, I don't know a thing about the UCI program.

Very true. I agree. I'm sure their residents were getting their numbers (after rotating out a few times), but the comfortable margin part seemed questionable to me.

USC/UCI

If you really prefer LA over NYC, you should rank it as such. Are you going to miss LA if you match somewhere else?

Any thoughts on Scott & White vs. Texas Tech? (In terms of teaching/lifestyle/fellowship placement). Keep switching their positions on my rank list...

Thanks Psai! Tha't's a good point on reading time. I had similar concerns about Penn (I think we may have been talking about that in another thread?). It did definitely contribute to me ranking them lower.

Reading time is just a strange concept to me. When I was a resident, I'd read 10-15 min the night before to prepare for the next day's cases. The rest of my reading happened in the OR at work. During boring stable cases and long-ass academic turnovers. Most of my peers did the same. To this day, I essentially do all my anesthesia reading at work. If you are blocking out "reading time" during your time off, you're just not being efficient. Doing a ton of cases is more important than reading time. When you get your first job, it's better to be green than REALLY green.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Reading time is just a strange concept to me. When I was a resident, I'd read 10-15 min the night before to prepare for the next day's cases. The rest of my reading happened in the OR at work. During boring stable cases and long-ass academic turnovers. Most of my peers did the same. To this day, I essentially do all my anesthesia reading at work. If you are blocking out "reading time" during your time off, you're just not being efficient. Doing a ton of cases is more important than reading time. When you get your first job, it's better to be green than REALLY green.

I definitely agree with you. However there are some things that have changed since you were a resident. Namely, the yearly standardized tests that are required now as a part of residency including (Step 3, AKTs, Basic Exam, Basic Exam step 2, new possible OSCE in the next year or 2). And so, reading time is more highly valued now, compared to before.

I definitely agree with you. However there are some things that have changed since you were a resident. Namely, the yearly standardized tests that are required now as a part of residency including (Step 3, AKTs, Basic Exam, Basic Exam step 2, new possible OSCE in the next year or 2). And so, reading time is more highly valued now, compared to before.
Reading is good for that stuff, but so is practical OR time and doing interesting index cases.

The programs I would rank lowest, if I was doing this, are the ones that will keep you late doing ortho or eyes or other useless crap on a regular basis. If you're being kept late doing big interesting cases, great. But not all busy programs are busy in an equal way.

We had step3 back in the day too. And ITEs every year. Are these new exams significantly different? Many in my program had board passing ITE scores at the beginning of CA2 year. Passing written boards was not a concern for any of us.

This is the 2016 match rank list thread, right? :hijacked:

Reactions: 5 users
Good luck everyone. Best wishes.

Reactions: 3 users
Now that there's no turning back:

1. Vanderbilt
2. UAB
3. Emory
4. UNC
5. VCU
6. MUSC
7. U. of Tennessee
8. U. of Miami
9. MCG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Here's mine:
1) Vandy
2) Mayo Jacksonville
3) MUSC
4) UT Knoxville
5) Washington University
6) University of Kentucky
7) UF Gainesville
8) VCU
9) Tulane

1. Vanderbilt
2. Wake
3. UNC
4. Cincinnati
5. MUSC
6. UAB
7. Kentucky
8. UT Knoxville
9. WashU
10. Louisville

Good luck to everyone!

Good luck to all! (Edit: took my list down...felt some bad juju when I posted it!)

Last edited:
Matched! Congrats everyone!

Anyone have an idea of how many unfilled spots there were this year?

Last edited:
66. If you go into NRMP and click "My reports" you can see total unfilled spots.

66 seems high right?

Thanks! I see it. It's a little confusing though because it says 66 spots for a PGY-1 position and 40 for a PGY-2. Does that mean 66 categorical spots and 40 advanced?

So many unfilled spots... what's the deal? Dead/dying field or trying to save room for the ortho/ent rejects?

So many unfilled spots... what's the deal? Dead/dying field or trying to save room for the ortho/ent rejects?
Or everyone comes on here when they are interested in anesthesia and get scared away reading the negative comments. I may be just matching this year but I've worked in the medical field long enough to know that there are plenty of miserable people in every specialty including surgical subspecialties. I'm glad I chose anesthesia and I plan to make the best out of my career in a specialty that truly interests me and not one that other people recommend because they aren't happy with their own choice.
Congratulations to everyone that matched!! I'll see you on the other side

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users