2016 Match List of Atlantic Bridge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

if anyone has the match list from their school, please post! thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know how we can find out what people ended up doing if they didn't match last year? Just curious. Did everyone apply to USA as a back up? UK ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how we can find out what people ended up doing if they didn't match last year? Just curious. Did everyone apply to USA as a back up? UK ?

There was only a few from my school that didn't match last year. Some were able to do an intern year in Ireland (with EU passport) and others just worked in research/education. Almost all have been successful in the match this year. Also, it's worth noting that more people chose to apply to the USA as their first choice and not as back up, based on the recent changes to the Canadian (read Ontario) healthcare system.

Reactions: 1 users

I know people who applied to Ireland, UK, Singapore, Malta and research jobs in the U.S. The majority of the people who did that a year ahead of me that I know, matched this year. One year is not the worst thing in the world particularly if you do something productive doing that year (clinical or research).

I know people who applied to Ireland, UK, Singapore, Malta and research jobs in the U.S. The majority of the people who did that a year ahead of me that I know, matched this year. One year is not the worst thing in the world particularly if you do something productive doing that year (clinical or research).

My biggest fear is putting nearly half a million dollars to get a degree in doing what I love and not get to do what I love. I feel like we only hear about the success stories.. or maybe I'm being paranoid.

My biggest fear is putting nearly half a million dollars to get a degree in doing what I love and not get to do what I love. I feel like we only hear about the success stories.. or maybe I'm being paranoid.
I think those fears will be undoubtedly exist when you go outside of NA but with ample warning and preparation, such as getting started early on studying + getting involved in research from the get-go, is the best thing you can do to make sure you get the best possible opportunities. It's either that or try getting into North America unfortunately

Reactions: 1 user
Is it better to diversify and spread out electives or focus them on one city/hospital to maximize chances of matching?

Is it better to diversify and spread out electives or focus them on one city/hospital to maximize chances of matching?

I think doing multiple clinical electives at the same hospital / residency program might be putting all your eggs in one basket. Plenty of people do them all in the same city or region though which I think is fine. Many students also unintentionally diversify because they can't get all the electives at ideal places and have to settle for something different.

Reactions: 3 users

Each elective serves as an "audition" for the program (except for family med in Canada, where they bring external interviewers unrelated to the program to assess residency candidates). You work side by side with the people who will be interviewing you, looking at your residency application and potentially hiring you. If you do an elective with your preferred program at one school, then they will have worked with you and gotten to know you. Doesn't make sense to then do an elective with another program at that school unless you are also applying to it. Best to get as many diverse auditions in with a few programs you'd like to go to.

Its hard for people who didn't succeed at matching right away to come forward and discuss it, its obviously a tough situation to be in. From looking at my own class here in Ireland, the most important thing to say is that there are identifiable reasons people didn't match. Whether it was a fail on a board exam or personal decisions to apply narrowly to only certain locations, no one with good board scores who applied broadly didn't match. Its also important to keep in mind that each year, there are graduates from past years who do match, bringing up the total match rate for any one year. People either strengthen their application for the specialty or location they wanted or they re-evaluate their application choices and apply broader and smarter.

As you go through medical school here, there are tons of talks given by the North American Medical Students Association chapter at each school. For every board exam, every elective, every application, there's a talk and the opportunity to chat to senior students who have gone through each step in the process. Its important to ask tons of questions, see what they thought worked and listen to their advice.

I'm currently a UCC student and this year in the first round the match rate was 16/21 (fourth year posted on Facebook)- 9 to Canada, 7 to USA (one to John Hopkins). There were also 3 second round interviews so the match list is not finalized yet.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently a UCC student and this year in the first round the match rate was 16/21 (fourth year posted on Facebook)- 9 to Canada, 7 to USA (one to John Hopkins). There were also 3 second round interviews so the match list is not finalized yet.

2nd round offers out today

Is anyone here applying without a bachelors?