This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopefully this thread starts to see some action!! in a positive way :)

CHEERS!!!! Sending good vibes out there to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I want to apply to TY programs as a backup. How many did u apply to last year?, Did u give preference to programs that also have an EM residency?, Were your lors specifically directed to EM or did u get separate lors for TY programs? Also did you write a separate personal statement for TY programs? It would be a real help if you could provide this information. Thank you!
I applied to 20ish TY's last year. I gave preference to programs who took IMG's in the past or programs that were new (better chances for IMG's). With a TY you have schedule flexibility so I was able to schedule an away rotation at a nearby institution with an EM residency to get a new SLOE. I think as long as there are some nearby institutions with an EM residency that you can do an away at it doesn't matter if the TY program has EM (though make sure they will let you do an away rotation). In my PS I wrote about how I wanted to do EM and I felt the flexibility of a TY would help make me a better candidate. Apparently that went over well because I had a couple TY interviews and matched my top choice TY. So happy this is the route I went, I've been loving my TY and getting a lot of great opportunities I don't think I would have had in IM prelim or surg prelim.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have decent scores and great LORs but no SLOE. My EM rotations were not in residency program institutions and no one wants to write them. what are my chances?

Have decent scores and great LORs but no SLOE. My EM rotations were not in residency program institutions and no one wants to write them. what are my chances?
Without actual SLOE's you might be screened out or just put on hold indefinitely :/

Reactions: 1 user
It's been pretty quiet for many USMDs as well so hold hope. The season just barely begun for EM

It's way too early to stress everyone, especially since so many programs have been emailing with those notifications saying they won't be offering invites until after 10/14 or 10/16 (and I know we are in medicine and therefore completely type A about this stuff, but remember it is only 10/3). Even then the first wave of invites will go to the AMG's, then we will be the second or third wave of invites.

Very low, but if you have someone who can call program directors on your behalf that might increase your chances of a handful of EM invites. The power of the recommendation phone call is real.

Off topic, but I couldn't get an answer anywhere else. I contacted a few hospitals for EM electives and some of them told me to send them my CV. I did a few cores in the states, and i'm wondering if I should include my USCE under work experience, or somewhere in the cv. What do you guys think?

Off topic, but I couldn't get an answer anywhere else. I contacted a few hospitals for EM electives and some of them told me to send them my CV. I did a few cores in the states, and i'm wondering if I should include my USCE under work experience, or somewhere in the cv. What do you guys think?

I think you should. This way they dont feel as if the pressure to take someone from abroad with 0 experience all on them. It certainly can't hurt.

I applied to 20ish TY's last year. I gave preference to programs who took IMG's in the past or programs that were new (better chances for IMG's). With a TY you have schedule flexibility so I was able to schedule an away rotation at a nearby institution with an EM residency to get a new SLOE. I think as long as there are some nearby institutions with an EM residency that you can do an away at it doesn't matter if the TY program has EM (though make sure they will let you do an away rotation). In my PS I wrote about how I wanted to do EM and I felt the flexibility of a TY would help make me a better candidate. Apparently that went over well because I had a couple TY interviews and matched my top choice TY. So happy this is the route I went, I've been loving my TY and getting a lot of great opportunities I don't think I would have had in IM prelim or surg prelim.
Thanks! It seems TY programs are also competitive specially since I am not a US citizen/green card holder. Would you recommend applying to Preliminary IM programs? How competitive are they?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! It seems TY programs are also competitive specially since I am not a US citizen/green card holder. Would you recommend applying to Preliminary IM programs? How competitive are they?
I can't really comment on medicine prelims since I didn't apply to any. I only applied TY's and prelim surg for my backups.

IV Genesys

Last edited:
I can't really comment on medicine prelims since I didn't apply to any. I only applied TY's and prelim surg for my backups.
Thank you so much for all the info! I think I will apply to prelim medicine programs only! Hope they consider my application!

Great job, also When is Genesys holding their interviews?

The following are the interview dates for 2015:
  • October 31st
  • November 6th
  • November 14th
  • December 11th
  • December 18th
The dates from their webpage! none for me yet :-(

IV St. John Hospital and Medical Center

Reactions: 2 users
Just waiting for an e-mail from Vidant giving me the middle finger.

What medical center?

St. John main or otherwise known as St. John moross. The St. John health system is huge and is made up of multiple hospitals across Michigan. But this is there largest "central" hospital and is a Wayne state university affiliated program. It's located on moross road on the east side of Detroit. Busiest ED in Detroit seeing over 100,000 patients annually and I believe sees the most traumas overall in the greater Detroit area though I believe Siani Grace sees more penetrating trauma. It's 73 private bed ED with four trauma/recess bays that can be converted into 8. with a dedicated peds ED. It's also a tertiary health center. If you get an IV there defiantly take it. It's an awesome place.

What does IV stand for...interview visit? can't think of why you don't just use interview invite II...?

Inter-View. I guess if your from Santa Barbara you could get IV confused with Isla Vista. ;) You can use whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
St. John main or otherwise known as St. John moross. The St. John health system is huge and is made up of multiple hospitals across Michigan. But this is there largest "central" hospital and is a Wayne state university affiliated program. It's located on moross road on the east side of Detroit. Busiest ED in Detroit seeing over 100,000 patients annually and I believe sees the most traumas overall in the greater Detroit area though I believe Siani Grace sees more penetrating trauma. It's 73 private bed ED with four trauma/recess bays that can be converted into 8. with a dedicated peds ED. It's also a tertiary health center. If you get an IV there defiantly take it. It's an awesome place.

Thank you I wish you luck

Reactions: 1 user
for those that got interview invites would u mind posting your stats-USMLE and how many SLOEs, and USCE....

How many IMG friendly EM programs are there really... meaning the ones that have accepted residents that are IMG in last 3 years...

How many IMG friendly EM programs are there really... meaning the ones that have accepted residents that are IMG in last 3 years...
none!! sorry im just being a negative nancy :(!! If you take a look at FREIDA it will actually break down the % of USMD, IMGS, and DOs at certain programs. Use this data to start compiling a list.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was just wondering, How well can we trust the % USMD/IMG/DO statistic on FREIDA? This by no means a terribly scientific approach but comparing the residents list on to a few (like 6) program websites to what FREIDA says, the numbers don't line up. Perhaps, FREIDA is including non-categorical spots that the websites don't mention? Of course I could just be counting wrong. Thanks for the input!!

Hey guys, I was just wondering, How well can we trust the % USMD/IMG/DO statistic on FREIDA? This by no means a terribly scientific approach but comparing the residents list on to a few (like 6) program websites to what FREIDA says, the numbers don't line up. Perhaps, FREIDA is including non-categorical spots that the websites don't mention? Of course I could just be counting wrong. Thanks for the input!!

I totally understand how the numbers can be a bit misleading and i certainly think some are off base. The next approach I would suggest to take is to just look at the different carib or FMG schools and see where there students have matched over the last few years. That is direct information that is very reliable. Its a struggle to get into EM...no matter who you are these days. Good luck!

Curious where the IMG community is at as far as interviews for EM??

They are fairly reliable. The PDs update them yearly for all residents across all years of training. The trouble with many school websites is that they either list everyone as MDs even if they are DO or MBBS holders, and they frequently do not list the school which the student got their degree.