2016-2017 Ophthalmology Interviews Date Swap and Anxiety Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wavelengthwave

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early for interview swap; never too early for anxiety.

Members don't see this ad.

Tell me about the anxiety part. I think looking at the interview thread is going to give me a heart attack at some point from the stress. I know its super early but because of that thread I know that at least one program has passed me over for the first batch of interview invites. It hurts my feelings :(

yo yo i know how you feel --- thought I'd create a thread where we can feel free to vent and rant about the stress of the whole process.
As for me, I'm just tired of going on aways and feel like I'm constantly being judged.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell me about the anxiety part. I think looking at the interview thread is going to give me a heart attack at some point from the stress. I know its super early but because of that thread I know that at least one program has passed me over for the first batch of interview invites. It hurts my feelings :(

Only one of these programs has passed over you for an interview invite? I'd say that's still pretty good, considering I've gotten none so far. Starting to feel pretty worried...

Rerax it's very early.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
yo yo i know how you feel --- thought I'd create a thread where we can feel free to vent and rant about the stress of the whole process.
As for me, I'm just tired of going on aways and feel like I'm constantly being judged.
Only one of these programs has passed over you for an interview invite? I'd say that's still pretty good, considering I've gotten none so far. Starting to feel pretty worried...

No only two of the ones that have been mentioned in that thread are ones that I applied to, so I had one invite and the other skipped me over for the first batch of invites.

However they called me today! So like Dr Zeke said its still super early, I know it's stressful and hard not to worry but the are still plenty of dates available and most programs haven't even sent out invites yet.

When people stress about single program interviews and many people haven't gotten any interviews yet :shrug:

When people stress about single program interviews and many people haven't gotten any interviews yet :shrug:
Hah that's why this thread is separate from the main interview thread. We can contain out collective anxieties here.

Haha I know I'm just messing around! Surprisingly not anxious yet. I'm sure that'll change by the end of October when I still have no interviews :mad:

Haha I know I'm just messing around! Surprisingly not anxious yet. I'm sure that'll change by the end of October when I still have no interviews :mad:

Ok Debbie downer don't make us ban you ;)

Has anyone received any rejections so far ? Do the programs even bother to send out a rejection ? I think not hearing from them at all is more stressful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received any rejections so far ? Do the programs even bother to send out a rejection ? I think not hearing from them at all is more stressful!

Some send rejections. But they come later...

I've been passed up by 3 programs at least for the first batch of interviews. I thought I had pretty strong app. Finding this super disappointing. Happy to have the 2 that I've been offered so far but starting to wonder if I'm going to end up with a limited amount of interviews.

Anyone have a UCSF interview on 10/13 that they'd trade for 10/6?

I've been passed up by 3 programs at least for the first batch of interviews. I thought I had pretty strong app. Finding this super disappointing. Happy to have the 2 that I've been offered so far but starting to wonder if I'm going to end up with a limited amount of interviews.

Congrats on the invites! I know it's hard not to worry, but I would keep in mind that it's still pretty early in the process. Plus, programs often will send out multiple batches of interview invites, so I wouldn't lose hope just yet.

Reactions: 1 users
No interviews yet....starting to get nervous! Anyone else?

When should we start to worry?

No interviews yet....starting to get nervous! Anyone else?

When should we start to worry?
Misery loves company and we are in the same boat.

No time to sweat yet, it's very early in the process. Keep faith

17 invites so far. There are like 112 programs. That's only 15% of of programs that has sent out any kind of invites. I'd say if this were a basketball game, we're half way through the first quarter. There's plenty of time to get lots of interviews.

I kinda wish all interviews all came out on the same day so this long process becomes shortened.
What do y'all think of limiting the number of applications we can submit? Right now so many of us shotgun that it all comes down to geography.

It's September. It's hard not to analyze every invitation, every day because what else is there to do? PDs have a lot of apps to churn through, now more than ever since every applicant is blasting away 40-50+ apps these days. The invites will come. Take it from my friend, Bane:

55522975.jpg

Later in this case being early to mid-November.

17 invites so far. There are like 112 programs. That's only 15% of of programs that has sent out any kind of invites. I'd say if this were a basketball game, we're half way through the first quarter. There's plenty of time to get lots of interviews.

I kinda wish all interviews all came out on the same day so this long process becomes shortened.
What do y'all think of limiting the number of applications we can submit? Right now so many of us shotgun that it all comes down to geography.

I think having a more uniform application process would be great. I think program deadline dates should be standardized at the very least. A single interview release day would be interesting...can you imagine trying to schedule them all at once? I feel like it's already anxiety-provoking trying to respond in a few minutes to invites. I think the publication of invite dates for each program would be nice. Then the sitting around and waiting/fearing missing emails would be alleviated.

I think it'll be more organized if there were a uniform interview release date. That way you can see all the interviews you get and make appropriate decisions about the dates. I mean we have a schedule fiasco already; you accept interviews, accept the date given, and then have to change later if there's a conflict. I think if all your interviews at once, you can try to optimize your schedule, preferably online with a master calendar maybe ran by SF match. It would really save the anxiety of waiting day by day and refreshing email. I also think maybe if we limit applications per applicant to 30. This way we only apply to places we actually want to go. Now we all shot gun and end up not being considered by programs because they don't think we'll go there.

I keep getting passed up by the programs I had my highest interest in and it sucks. I'm 3/7 right now. I expected a lot more interest from programs with my application but I think being from a small program hurt me here.

I know I should be grateful for having 3 interviews but it is just disappointing because I don't know how I could have had a stronger app and why I'm getting passed over.

Same here :-( I'm not sure if programs send invitations in different waives or just one. If it's the second case, then we are screwed by not getting an invite and not being able to change anything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I keep getting passed up by the programs I had my highest interest in and it sucks. I'm 3/7 right now. I expected a lot more interest from programs with my application but I think being from a small program hurt me here.

I know I should be grateful for having 3 interviews but it is just disappointing because I don't know how I could have had a stronger app and why I'm getting passed over.

I'm sorry, congratulations on the 3 interviews though, that's something to be proud of! If it makes you feel any better I'm still at 0 interviews. The lack of transparency to this process is completely anxiety inducing, so it's definitely awesome to have this thread to vent to... Anyway don't lose hope just yet, there's still a lot of programs who haven't sent out invites, including the 'top tier' ones like Wills and Bascom

0 interviews still... the anxiety is rising :arghh:. When do we start the official freak out?

I'm sorry, congratulations on the 3 interviews though, that's something to be proud of! If it makes you feel any better I'm still at 0 interviews. The lack of transparency to this process is completely anxiety inducing, so it's definitely awesome to have this thread to vent to... Anyway don't lose hope just yet, there's still a lot of programs who haven't sent out invites, including the 'top tier' ones like Wills and Bascom

Thats true but its hard to be optimistic about Wills and Bascom when you don't even get interviews from some of the less top tier ones :(

Anyway like I said I know I should be happy about my 3 and I am. I know for people who haven't had any invites yet it is even more anxiety provoking. But I do think this thread is a great place to let out frustration or disappointment in this process.

I mean everyone who applies to ophthalmology is most likely a great applicant just based on the amount of self selection that goes on before applying. I definitely wish there was more transparency in the process. We work so hard to be the best applicants and it is hurtful when it feels like some schools are passing you up based on things out of your control such as your geographic location or what school you attend or whatever other possible things it could be.

I hope we all end up going to the places we want. I'm hoping you get some interviews coming your way!

It's really early... you need to relax

Reactions: 2 users
Following last year's format:

Master list: User name [Location: I have this date :: Would really like this date]

Good luck everyone!

West Virginia
Doclahoma [WVU: 11/18AM:: 11/14 AM or 11/14 PM]

Question about prelim/TY apps (I know there are separate fora for this, but I wanted to ask ophtho peeps): I assume we don't need Step 2 scores in to have our applications reviewed as is the case with ophtho applications?

Question about prelim/TY apps (I know there are separate fora for this, but I wanted to ask ophtho peeps): I assume we don't need Step 2 scores in to have our applications reviewed as is the case with ophtho applications?

Correct

I know its scary as hell but if you can get 5 or more total interviews you're doing great already.

Master list: User name [Location: I have this date :: Would really like this date]

SphereGlobe [UCSF: 10/13::10/6]
Pheasant Tail [Baylor: 11/7:: 10/24 or 10/31]

SphereGlobe [UCSF: 10/13::10/6]
eyeFone [San Antonio: 12/2 :: 12/16]
eyeFone [Texas Tech: 11/11 :: 10/7]

SphereGlobe [UCSF: 10/6::10/13]

Thats true but its hard to be optimistic about Wills and Bascom when you don't even get interviews from some of the less top tier ones :(

Anyway like I said I know I should be happy about my 3 and I am. I know for people who haven't had any invites yet it is even more anxiety provoking. But I do think this thread is a great place to let out frustration or disappointment in this process.

I mean everyone who applies to ophthalmology is most likely a great applicant just based on the amount of self selection that goes on before applying. I definitely wish there was more transparency in the process. We work so hard to be the best applicants and it is hurtful when it feels like some schools are passing you up based on things out of your control such as your geographic location or what school you attend or whatever other possible things it could be.

I hope we all end up going to the places we want. I'm hoping you get some interviews coming your way!

It's definitely too early to start worrying. Also, as an applicant last year with few interviews at this stage in the game, I felt the same - that it meant I wouldn't be getting many more, especially from the "top tier" programs. However, at the end of the process, I found that where I got interviews and where I didn't made no sense. In other words, there's no logic to it, and just because you didn't get an interview at one program doesn't mean you won't at another, even if it's "better" or more competitive.

Lesyeux [MC Georgia: 10/28:: 12/12]

Last edited:
It's definitely too early to start worrying. Also, as an applicant last year with few interviews at this stage in the game, I felt the same - that it meant I wouldn't be getting many more, especially from the "top tier" programs. However, at the end of the process, I found that where I got interviews and where I didn't made no sense. In other words, there's no logic to it, and just because you didn't get an interview at one program doesn't mean you won't at another, even if it's "better" or more competitive.

Thanks. I'm definitely starting to lighten up. I'm just going to see how the interview season pans out without freaking out about every missed opportunity.

ophtho9052 [UTSW: 12/2 :: 10/28 or 11/4]

Let me start by being transparent and saying I'm a program coordinator and I'm here just to calm your nerves a little.

As DrZeke said, it's still early in the process. There are, what, 115 programs? And less than 30 are showing up so far on the invitation thread. With Dean's letters coming out in these next few days you'll probably see a spike in invitations going out shortly after that as some programs prefer to see those before inviting. Remember, too, that some programs don't interview until late in the season, and will send their offers later.

As for how the invitations are sent out - some programs may send all offers at once, especially those using scheduling software; others might send out in smaller batches. It doesn't necessarily mean you're not a "top pick" if you are in the 2nd or 3rd batch, it might just mean the coordinator has a lot on their plate with "normal" work, students on elective rotations, prepping for your interviews, other department functions, etc., and can't keep track of 40 or 50 phone calls and email replies coming in within 3 minutes of sending an invitation.

We know you're all stressed out. Take a deep breath. Try to relax. At least for another week or two. ;-)

Reactions: 5 users
vvv9012 [UTSW: 11/18 :: 10/28]

I am wondering if I am the only person with zero interviews :unsure::unsure:

Reactions: 3 users
vvv9012 [UTSW: 11/18 :: 10/28
Kwprice6 [Med Col of Wis: 10/27 pm :: 10/27 am]

Let me start by being transparent and saying I'm a program coordinator and I'm here just to calm your nerves a little.

As DrZeke said, it's still early in the process. There are, what, 115 programs? And less than 30 are showing up so far on the invitation thread. With Dean's letters coming out in these next few days you'll probably see a spike in invitations going out shortly after that as some programs prefer to see those before inviting. Remember, too, that some programs don't interview until late in the season, and will send their offers later.

As for how the invitations are sent out - some programs may send all offers at once, especially those using scheduling software; others might send out in smaller batches. It doesn't necessarily mean you're not a "top pick" if you are in the 2nd or 3rd batch, it might just mean the coordinator has a lot on their plate with "normal" work, students on elective rotations, prepping for your interviews, other department functions, etc., and can't keep track of 40 or 50 phone calls and email replies coming in within 3 minutes of sending an invitation.

We know you're all stressed out. Take a deep breath. Try to relax. At least for another week or two. ;-)

Thank you for your kind input. While we have your attention here, can you comment about interview date swap form the program's prospective? For applicants, it's a way for us to maximize interview opportunities and economize the process. As programs release interviews at different times and dates overlap, utilizing the swap helps us reschedule. But we realize it's also an administrative challenge for the coordinators.

Thank you for your kind input. While we have your attention here, can you comment about interview date swap form the program's prospective? For applicants, it's a way for us to maximize interview opportunities and economize the process. As programs release interviews at different times and dates overlap, utilizing the swap helps us reschedule. But we realize it's also an administrative challenge for the coordinators.

They expect these conflicts and understand how desperate we all are to accept. Since you have the dates available in advance I might consider asking about alternative dates at the time of the interview offer. As you know, some places offer you one date even tho they have 2 interview dates. Also, you may end up cancelling.

My advice, be very polite and respectful. Explain you have a conflict and ask for an alternate date or cancel. Ultimately remember to give yourself a spread of programs. Do not cancel all you low/middle or middle tier interviews for top 10 only.

Good luck

Sure -

We do realize that it is a challenge for the applicants to determine your best opportunities, especially when more and more programs these days are limiting the number of dates available and then many of your hoped-for programs have the same few dates. My program is kind of in that position, and I can tell you that as a coordinator, I dislike it as much as you guys do. Travel is also not as easy or cheap as it used to be if candidates are flying many places, so we know that cost can be a factor for you as well.

I am always willing to put people on a waitlist in case of cancellations, so if I know that one of our applicants prefers a certain spot and then later someone who has one of those spots also requests a swap I will try to connect those candidates and see if a swap will work out. I have also had a couple of instances where a candidate contacted me to say that they arranged a swap via this board - in which case I ask that both parties email me individually to confirm they are agreeable and then I'll make the swap.

I think the biggest thing is, let the coordinator know AS SOON as you possibly can. That goes for cancellations also, so that the open position might be offered to another candidate. And be polite, and patient. We sometimes can have a lot of input into decisions made in the ranking process - was the candidate polite to staff, timely with requested information, did they seem genuinely interested in the interview?

Good luck to all!

Any input on University of Minnesota's program vs Medical College of Wisconsin vs Mayo Clinic? These 3 share two interview dates at the end of the month and I'd prefer to clump two together (whichever the best two may be). Thoughts would be appreciated.

Any input on University of Minnesota's program vs Medical College of Wisconsin vs Mayo Clinic? These 3 share two interview dates at the end of the month and I'd prefer to clump two together (whichever the best two may be). Thoughts would be appreciated.
All 3 are very solid programs. I think Minnesota is in the best city of the 3, but this is just my opinion. MCW probably has the strongest overall reputation, but not by much. Particular strengths to my knowledge are cornea for Minnesota, retina/plastics for MCW, plastics for mayo. Peds is good at all three, though MCW has the top children's hospital. From what I hear, faculty are very good at all three as well. Full disclosure-I interviewed at none of these programs ;).

Last edited: