2015-2016 Official Interview Invites Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks,
I have only 11 interview invites so far and I am freaking out. +20 programs have not gotten back to me and I am wondering if I can still get some invites this late in the game? I emailed 4 programs that I am really interested in and 2 said they would put me on the waiting list and the other two never replied. Maybe I should have contacted them earlier?

I am from a top 40 US medical school. Messed up step 1 but rocked step 2. passed step 2 cs. outstanding letters. + research publications.

HELP :(

Hi Malassezia! 11 is still a very good number, particularly if you will attend and rank all of them. There are still a few more invites that might trickle in as we near the end of the season and people cancel, and maybe you will get off the wait lists, but even if not, I wouldn't be ultra worried. Sounds like you are still in a good position to match.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey folks,
I have only 11 interview invites so far and I am freaking out. +20 programs have not gotten back to me and I am wondering if I can still get some invites this late in the game? I emailed 4 programs that I am really interested in and 2 said they would put me on the waiting list and the other two never replied. Maybe I should have contacted them earlier?

I am from a top 40 US medical school. Messed up step 1 but rocked step 2. passed step 2 cs. outstanding letters. + research publications.

HELP :(
Based on charting outcomes, you are extremely likely to match with 11 interviews; I wouldn't panic.

Thanks, guys!
Does anyone know if UC Irvine or Ohio State have open interview dates in January?

Members don't see this ad :)
OSU is full for January and each date has multiple applicants on a waitlist

+1 Albert Einstein. They had spots available Jan 4, 6, 11, 13th.

Hey guys. Sorry if this is a little late. Does anyone know if there are still any openings for NYU?

Thanks!

Any open interview slots for Duke, UTSW, or BU?
UTSW- Only Jan 8 (>1 spot available) (their last interview date is Jan 15th)
BU- Jan 4, 6, 11, and 13 (>1 spot available) (their last interview date is Jan 13)
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys any idea about interview spots at University of Florida (Gainesville)? I am in the waiting list.

Any idea about Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island/Brown University Program? Please let me know if someone cancels their interview or a slot become available? Thanks.

Any idea about Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island/Brown University Program? Please let me know if someone cancels their interview or a slot become available? Thanks..
If this is the main IM program, then there are multiple spots available on Jan 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, and 15.

Anyone know if there open spots for Cornell? What's the last day they interview?
Thanks a bunch!

Is it safe to say that no more invites will come in at this point? aka if you haven't heard by now, waitlist= rejection and no invitation= silent rejection?

Is it safe to say that no more invites will come in at this point? aka if you haven't heard by now, waitlist= rejection and no invitation= silent rejection?
No I just got offered an interview at Baylor (and for those wondering they have some spots open on the 21st)

Just randomly got one yesterday! The perpetual dilemma: Like the place, but who knows whether it is worth the money to go and maybe be their last choice. They asked you to the dance after your cool friend, their first-choice date, got the flu. Bummer.

At this point, you might get a random invite, but there aren't many days left for interviews.

Is it worth it to try to contact programs that didn't respond for last minute spots now?

Is it worth it to try to contact programs that didn't respond for last minute spots now?

I contacted a reach program (NYU) and got an interview today. It's worth a shot. A bunch of good programs have a bunch of spots left in the calendar (NYU has at least 5 spots left). What do you have to lose?

Has Mount Sinai and St.Luke's sent out rejections or do they just silently reject?

Has Mount Sinai and St.Luke's sent out rejections or do they just silently reject?
I didn't get a rejection from either but apparently their interviews are over? So I guess silent rejection?

With interview season ending, I'd like to post a simple breakdown of the timing of my invitations.

I was told by several older physicians and mentors that they received IM invitations into December and even January. Perhaps this is individual variation, but these days I suspect such invitations are the exception, not the rule. A friend of mine was sitting on precious few invitations by late October and was holding out for a windfall in November. Her mentor reassured her, but if I'd been in that situation I'd have been scrambling to get more somehow. I wanted to point out the distribution of my invitations, since it may inform future applicants.

Invitations received, by month
September: 4
October: 11
November: 1
December: 0
January: 0

But since we all have different applications, I'm curious to see how this compares to all your experiences.

Great idea! My distribution was 2/8/2/0/0.

Agreed. My school definitely gave out some inadvertent bad info to people who were struggling to get early invites. They preached a lot of "be patient" when I'm really not so sure that was the best approach. Hindsight is 20/20 though, so I can't judge. I had a pretty similar spread for my invites.

Sept: 7
Oct: 12
Nov: 2
Dec: 0
Jan: 0

What is the best response? I've gotten an email from the program if I wanted a second look. It's one of my top 2 programs. I've already liked it and there's nothing more to look second time to change my decision. Would it look bad if I don't go and how should I respond to that email?

Timing of invites:
Sep: 6
Oct: 11 (all but one of them by 10/16)
Nov: 1
Dec: 1 (Nov and Dec invites were after updates/LOIs)

Updated below.

Last edited:
September: 5
October: 8
November: 1

Does anybody know if there are any programs still interviewing? I have heard that a few go into the first week of february?. I'm low on interviews and even 1 more would make a huge difference in my match probability.

Yes, I have two scheduled for this week and had one for February which I cancelled.

September: 0
October: 23
November: 0
December: 1
January: 1

September: 5

October: 15

November: 0

Based on totals for 12 applicants and 220 invites:

23% were sent in September (51/220)
65% were sent in October (142/220)
9% were sent in November (20/220)
1% were sent in December (3/220)
2% were sent in January (4/220)

87% or 5/6ths of all invites were sent by the end of October. This sample is limited, and self-selected from the SDN population. Based on this sample, if you have 5 invites in October, you can expect on average only 1 more. It may not be best to hope for a big second wave after October.

Any other applicants from this cycle are welcome to contribute their experiences.

September - 1
October - 6
November - 1
December - 1
January - 2

I would love to know how many late invites (Dec/Jan) yielded an offer.

September: 10
October: 18
November: 2
December: 1
January: 1

Okay random question. The January invite I made a boo boo and forgot to e-mail them saying I wasn't going to accept an interview date. Is that the worst thing in the world? I feel really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.