[2015-2016] EM Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Matched :))))))!!!!!!!! Thank you to everyone on this thread, this process with all its ups and downs and wtfs....would have not been as tolerable and enjoyable without you all to share it with...wish all of you "my fellow future colleagues" amazing success in the next phase of helping and caring for people...literally just popped open a bottle of patron and plan on drinking till Friday, at which point I'll prolly drink a little more ;)lol!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Gotta admit, I was nervous only going on seven interviews.

But I matched! :banana:

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Only one unfilled EM position this year. That's crazy

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Only one unfilled EM position this year. That's crazy

It has been like that for several years now. I believe there were 5 unfilled positions last year and were reportedly due to an error in the match system, as all 5 were at Toledo; otherwise, there likely would have been no unfilled positions.

Matched!!! I hope I get to work with some of you guys!!!

Matched! Am currently a categorical surgery intern, and decided in November to switch to EM. Had only 3 interviews, so incredibly relieved to have matched. Good luck Friday!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched! Ranked 10 places, would be pretty happy at any of them but would really like it to be Friday so I can start planning the next 3-4 years of my life! Congrats to everyone else who matched and keep you head up if you didn't.

Thanks for all those before me, and hopefully my contributions to this forum/website will be helpful for future students. Now that I matched, I feel as though I can contribute here.

About me: Wife + newborn, nontraditional DO student, 250/260 step 1/2, 640 level 1/2, PhD + 20 pubs, EM research x 2 years, active with AAEM/RSA. From the midwest, wanting to stay east of the Mississippi, preferably at a research driven EM program as I have an interest in academics. Aways at 3 of my top 5, mix of h/HP. 1 trauma/SICU rotation and a home EM rotation 3rd year, with solid 3rd year grades.

A quick what did I learn, even with excellent stats on paper, being a DO hurt. I didn't get many of the "OMG top 5 programs" but did have an excellent showing and I am happy with my turnout. EM is becoming more and more competitive and as a DO student you need to stand out to get the obligatory number of invites to all but guarantee a match. Out of 10 EM/IM invites, I received 10, and out of 40 EM invites I received about 20. Went on 18 total interviews with 4 EM/IM and 14 EM. I only attended the EM/IM invites when programs allowed me to interview on the same day. I turned down 6 EM/IM, about 5 EM rejections, the rest were either silent/waitlist or I declined the interview, and several of the 14 EM interviews were early on. I applied to most of the programs on day 1, and only pulled off 1 waitlist in January. That all said, I will write about the individual programs on their respective pages about my subjective pro/con and feelings.

1. Ohio State EM. Home, going to become a research mecca with their new cancer ED, great young faculty, supportive faculty, fun dinner, happy residents, great city and COL, plus its my wife's number one.
2. OSU EM/IM. I debated long and hard about 1 & 2. Due to my academic interest I went with EM first, but would be honored with either.
3. Indiana. Incredible and probably the most well rounded institution. ++++research, ++++amazing faculty, family driven, amazing facilities, great experiences, happy residents, happier faculty, good COL, livable city, fun dinner. Could've easily been my #1 if it wasn't for a wife and kid.
4. Metrohealth. Holy smokes, these residents are solid and the patients are sick. Some burnout and only a few residents showed at the interview dinner, but like the PD said, once you graduate here you can work anywhere. Ironically the PDs at my #1 and #2 trained here. The whole "you work hard here" is true, but in reality the residents seemed happy, collegial, and well trained. I would be honored to train here.
5. Johns Hopkins. Someone mentioned it earlier, this place is a gem. Academic powerhouse, fun city, great pathology. Blew me away with the interview day and dinner.
6. Maryland. Again, academic powerhouse, great research, invested faculty, great pathology, great rotations. Fun dinner, but they ran out of food. Trauma situation is amazingly unique and weird at the same time.
7/8. VCU EM/IM & EM . Hidden gem, and would be absolutely happy here. The facilities, faculty, and residents were terrific. I got veto'd by wife due to location and potential to get a job in her field.
9. Emory
10. UK
11-18 in no particular order, Wright State, St Vincent, Cook County, Hennepin, Allegheny, UT, NYC.

Turned down some programs in NYC, VA, Delaware, Akron, Toledo, NC. Rejected from 1 in VA, Denver, Cinci, UFL, Orlando.

What would I do over, as a DO student, I would apply to 60-70 EM programs even with my stats. I got rejections from some top programs but also some random rejections from programs that are DO friendly but mostly are in the south and have not taken students from my school. Also, after all my interviews, I feel that the important things I did in years 1-3 were strong Step 1 & 2 scores, good LORs, a few publications, being able to communicate, and not having any red flags (extracurricular stuff was icing but rarely came up).

Reactions: 6 users
Matched as well! Friday can't come soon enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Matched as well! Congrats all. Now, is it Friday?!

Reactions: 4 users
Matched! Such a relief!

Reactions: 3 users
Those folks are not allowed to share the names of unfilled programs.
I'm curious why there is a need to make such a rule. I see no benefit or detriment to anyone for releasing the names of programs that had spots unfilled.

I'm curious why there is a need to make such a rule. I see no benefit or detriment to anyone for releasing the names of programs that had spots unfilled.
Same reason it takes months to release match results, or why scramblers only get a few days to decide on a new speciality, or why it takes a week to give the results after informing the applicants they matched. Illogical system run by illogical people.

Congrats to everyone that matched! Unfortunately my outcome is not the same as most everybody's here and I'm currently SOAPing. Not the best way to begin the week. It hurts that my dream will not be realized, but hopefully I will still get to practice medicine somewhere. As the week progresses and of course within the rules, I can give updates as to how the process works if anyone cares.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to everyone that matched! Unfortunately my outcome is not the same as most everybody's here and I'm currently SOAPing. Not the best way to begin the week. It hurts that my dream will not be realized, but hopefully I will still get to practice medicine somewhere. As the week progresses and of course within the rules, I can give updates as to how the process works if anyone cares.

Head up and best of luck to you!

Don't give up, if you really want EM it can still happen. Not sure if you saw this, courtesy of EMRA. Best of luck to you!

http://emadvisor.blogspot.com/2015/03/so-you-did-not-match.html

Matched!

Congrats to all who matched, and best of luck to those wading in the SOAP [stay strong]!

Last edited:
For those soaping, don't feel like you have to soap into a specialty that you don't want. Worst things worse...take the year off, delay graduation. During that year do an away rotation or more for em, do research, or get another degree...there are accelerated one year mba and mph programs that basically will drop their panties to accept a medical student into their program. Reapply and kick ass...if not go the prelim/transitional route take step 3 and reapply...either way keep you head up...it ain't over even if this year didn't go as planned :)!!!

Best of luck to you! I heard soap site was crashing yesterday too. Stay strong. You will get through this!

Steps: 230s/230s
H, H, HP

1) NYU - cool residents, really great location (no commuting), most reputable EM program in NYC, generally reputable EM program nationwide, name brand institution which helps a ton for academics and other jobs outside of medicine (un)fortunately. i really clicked with dr. manko. love NYC. housing is apparently decent, though not like mt. sinai

2) Northwestern - absolutely stellar program, I think. Extremely thoughtful curriculum and very well rounded. MICU junior and senior months, trauma junior and senior months at cook county trauma (which is not the ED), + the substantial trauma that comes in to the main facility from the south side. lots of ICU time, no medicine months. located in the most beautiful part of chicago. the facilities are gorgeous (which may or may not be everyone's cup of tea). residents are cool, social. It has been said before, but needs to be reiterated, the chair and PD are an extremely energetic pair with an ambitious vision for the program and their residents. Furthermore they articulate it well. The chair is also CMO of the entire hospital system so EM has a lot of clout there. Smart dudes all around

3) UCSF/SFGH - new program, not super enthusiastic. share procedures with the rest of the hospital's residents. residents come here for the name and location, I think, although the two cannot be beaten.

4) Hopkins - was surprisingly impressive. EM lecture/grand rounds were top notch. chair was weird, but highly respected in the field. New ED facilities are top notch, although because everyone gets a private room its weirdly quiet. lot of trauma, with significant resident involvement. the chiefs describe doing thoracotomies not uncommonly. there is a ridiculous amount of money to spend at any research/extracurricular project you might feel like developing. so the career development here is the real jewel of the program. this program I think would work super well for energetic/ambitious residents looking for unconventional careers. which is me, sort of. baltimore is not super cool, though.

5) boston medical center - badass EM training, trauma, very well respected, located in a really sweet part of boston. very social residents. one of my interviewers described his residents as "rockstars" and it was totally true.

6) denver - also very badass place. rumors of malignancy are unfounded, i think. the residents were very happy here. they knew they were ballers, and they deserve the status. quality of life here is very nice, too, but denver as a location is not for me.

7) Mt Sinai at Icahn SOM - commuting between elmhurst and UES is miserable experience, and you have to pay for your own subway if you miss the shuttle. i wasnt super impressed with elmhurst. i have some friends that are nurses in the city who say that bellevue is the superior county experience from a variety and complexity standpoint and actually gets more trauma (though I found this latter description questionable). also, the recent notoriety (although I do not believe the stories) is offputting and not sure I want to be associated. residents were really social though, and that was AWESOME. they also get really baller jobs cause they are doing interesting research/IT related projects. smart people here, for sure. dr. jagoda is very well respected and will throw cool stuff your way if you're interested. a program like this is best taken advantage of by residents who want to do more than just work in a community shop, clock shifts, and go home.

GW, UPenn, gtown, UPMC (did not like these programs)

Declined interviews from: Duke, Hennepin, Cook County, Maryland

Last edited:
5) boston medical center - badass EM training, trauma, very well respected, located in a really sweet part of baltimore. very social residents. one of my interviewers described his residents as "rockstars" and it was totally true

Wat.

For those soaping, don't feel like you have to soap into a specialty that you don't want. Worst things worse...take the year off, delay graduation. During that year do an away rotation or more for em, do research, or get another degree...there are accelerated one year mba and mph programs that basically will drop their panties to accept a medical student into their program. Reapply and kick ass...if not go the prelim/transitional route take step 3 and reapply...either way keep you head up...it ain't over even if this year didn't go as planned :)!!!

Totally agree with the above post. I didn't match last year after applying to EM and interviewing at 11 places. Found out yesterday that I matched, second time's the charm! I didn't settle for another specialty, it was EM or bust for me. My school wanted me to do an MPH during this year while reapplying but I ended up working in finance (previous career), volunteering weekly in a FM clinic, and going on lots of interviews. I applied to essentially every EM program and went on 19 interviews. It's demoralizing spending a year in doctor purgatory but if you are dedicated to EM and you are at least an average applicant that just got unlucky, give it one more try before settling for another specialty. Even if you have to spend the year scrubbing toilets at night, and volunteering during the day, this is going to be your job for the rest of your life. Good luck to all the unmatched. Keep your head up, this too shall pass.

Reactions: 8 users
Hey wilberforce72, I hope things work out and in a year you're matching as a particularly bad-ass EM1.

You'll have a busy week, so the following addresses something you can deal with later. A silver lining for this upcoming year is that you could lock-in an individual, non-cancelable, own occupation, longterm disability insurance policy as someone in a non-procedural occupation class. Emergency physicians, and others that perform invasive procedures like surgeons and anesthesiologists, pay a higher premium (by ~20%) than their IM or peds colleagues. (An EP couldn't really run a department solo if lacking fingers or in a wheelchair, while an internist or pediatrician could likely still maintain a practice. Thus, EP's are more likely to be occupationally-disabled by a similar injury, and more risky to insure.)

In June 2017 when you do switch over, and during ALL the subsequent years of EM practice... you'd still pay the lower premiums from when you signed the contract. And if you got a policy that's adjustable, the future increases would also be at that nonsurgical rate. A much better explanation than I could give is in the series written by an EP, Dr. Dahle http://whitecoatinvestor.com/disability-insurance-introduction/
I don't want to hijack this thread to a boring insurance topic, but just a heads-ups for an opportunity I wish I'd known about as an undifferentiated med student. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Do programs know which applicants have matched into their program already, or do they find out this Friday as well :)?

I really want to find out already which PD swiped right. Hope my "you my only bae" letter helped.

I really want to find out already which PD swiped right. Hope my "you my only bae" letter helped.

All kidding aside, I seriously think if you sent my PD an email reading "You my only bae" - I think that would have gotten you ranked to match.

Reactions: 6 users
Unless the PD happens to be Danish, as apparently bae means "poop" in Danish. I hadn't heard the phrase, so had to look it up.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, you haven't heard this phrase because you're Danish or because you just met the internet?

More like, I'm an old guy with kids and a surgery intern, who pretty much listens to NPR or kids songs, with the occasional Daniel Tiger episode.