[2015-2016] EM Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The damn match just needs to happen already.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
The damn match just needs to happen already.

Seriously...longest wait ever. Amazing how the confidence that I will match erodes away a little more each day as I sit here thinking about opening that email at 11am on the 14th.

I wonder how long it takes the match algorithm to spit out the match list? It would be so nice to know our fates a few weeks earlier.

Seriously...longest wait ever. Amazing how the confidence that I will match erodes away a little more each day as I sit here thinking about opening that email at 11am on the 14th.

I wonder how long it takes the match algorithm to spit out the match list? It would be so nice to know our fates a few weeks earlier.

I saw a video that someone made a few years back that simulated the match and it took all of 30 seconds, whether that is the case remains in question. I'm sure there is a lot of quality control done during this time, but I'm with you... The wait seems longer every day.

Members don't see this ad :)

Someone simulated it on their home pc a few years ago (it's on youtube I think), it took like 32 seconds. There's no reason for this long a wait.

IIRC it takes 22 seconds to run. The rest of the time is spent 'verifying' that everything worked as intended.

http://www.nrmp.org/faq-questions/w...he-rank-order-list-rol-deadline-to-match-day/

As to why the wait between Monday & Friday? ---> SOAP?

Hey Gang, sorry for the lengthy explanations. Read it or don't haha just wanted to pass it along because this helped me tremendously last year.

Stats - DO Student, Top 1/4 of class, Step 1 230, Step 2 234, Comlex 1 646, Comlex 2 643, 3 Auditions - High Pass, High Pass, Honors (All allopathic programs). Have a masters with first author on 1 paper but has nothing to do with EM.

Importance for choice - Fit, Location, SO preferences. I am happy answer any questions for anyone interested regarding any of the programs I ranked. Best of luck everyone, 16 days to go!!

Also did several DO interviews but bailed about 3-4 in. Interviewed at Good Sam, Arrowhead, Nausau then I cancelled for Allopathic match. Ended up getting about 12 DO interviews all in for those of you interested about that you can message me as well.

1) VCU/MCV -

Pros - LOVED this program!!! Richmond is a great city, lots of outdoor stuff to do, good food, for being in a city low COL (compared to major cities), 3 year program, 10 hour shifts, felt like I fit in really well with residents, strong US, strong Tox. SCRIBES starting year 2. Busy place, indigent population, great pathology, attending physicians are absolutely stellar and pretty diverse. Dr. Moll is the man (PD)

Cons - Currently no sports med tracks, super nice facility/nurses (could be con because some residents admitted they weren't great at IVs, orthostatic tests, little things like that I'd like to have down by end of residency), not a big name program, fights some with ortho guys on the floor, shares trauma with Trauma Surg (airways and tubes).

2) NYQH -

Pros - In Queens New York, most residents live in brooklyn and claim its a pretty easy commute, free parking for EM residents, SUPER BUSY (125k + per year), tons of pathology, 130 dialects spoken within a square mile, high AA and Asian population, a lot of indigent, tons of procedures, really liked PD and most of the faculty. Cons - Only running 12s, Tapering schedule from 20 to 18 to 16 per month (I think), great blunt trauma but hardly a knife and gun club (they go to Miami for this but that may go away due to the new program down there), COL is obviously high but 63k starting pay so doable if you live in a box/with roomates. Ancillary staff are way over worked, underpaid and you will suffer from it (pretty standard for a lot of NY programs).

3) Carilion Clinic VTech -

Pro's - Mixed results regarding the PD (so I've heard), I liked him, liked what he had to say, and have heard from mentor's he is a stand up guy/great fit for the program. Roanoke is in the mountains, with a gigantic lake 30 minutes away, running/biking trails for days, and some of the better east coast hiking you'll find. The city has pretty good food, not a huge night life, and Virginia Tech is a big college town less than an hour away if you want some sports. No competition in the ED per the residents, a lot of pathology, beautiful/up-to-date facility, food stippened, and the EM residents are very highly regarded among the hospital.

Cons - Roanoke is a smaller city, newer program (only 5 years old now I think), snow shuts this place down in a bad way, closest major city is DC (3 hours away), most flying needs to go through Richmond (2.5 hours away), would likely be up 1 but the SO preferred NYC to Roanoke so it stays here.

4) Einstein Healthcare Network Philly -

Pros - Strong, happy, enthusiastic residents. Tons of trauma (penetrating, blunt, MVA, hit and runs, etc.), good system with trauma surg, no problem getting numbers. Strong US integration during intern year. Schedule is 3 days, 3 evenings, 3 off, or 3 evening, 3 night, 3 off (will work with circadian rhythm with 6 on and 3 off) I believe you go from 12s down to 8s as your PGY progresses. Scholarly tracks with pre-established sports medicine track. Pay is standard, Philadelphia is a cool city just not terribly familiar with it but would be plenty excited to check it out if I ended up here.

Cons - Philly has as high COL and less to offer compared to NYC. 4 year program, residents seemed happy but said its a GRIND there, very tough schedule...which doesn't bother me but the 4th years said you are still hitting it hard the entire 4th year which kind of turned me off. Seemed like there are a handful of fluff months due to the 4 year schedule which is both good and bad I suppose. You do have to travel to 3 different hospitals which I don't love but have heard its not too bad of a commute.

5) Cook County -

Pros - Chicago might be my favorite city, ever. SO loved it there as well. This is a big time program with a great reputation. Tons of pathology, tons of truama (15 bed trauma bay) - its separated from the regular ED which I don't like but you'll walk out with plenty of trauma under your belt. Residents were super nice, pretty tight nit considering there are 18 of them per year. Great attendings, super diverse, just a stellar program top to bottom. 8 hour shifts (20 per month I believe).

Cons - 4 year program, winters are unbearably cold, COL in Chicago is really high and the pay is not great for residents. I don't want to say you fight with other specialties in the ED for procedures but every single specialty is at that hospital so you may get some stuff snaked by residents from other programs (surg, ortho, OFMS, etc.). Having said that you will have no problem getting the numbers you need to feel competent. *I would have ranked this higher and while this may be a no-no I just felt like it was a pretty far reach for me so I decided to put some other programs above it due to just being realistic with my stats/competitiveness*

I don't feel like typing any more haha so the rest are my 6-8, just send me an e-mail if you have any questions and I can tell you whatever you'd like to know that I can answer.

6) Drexel

7) Brooklyn Hospital Center

8) Mississippi Health Center in Jackson

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
*I would have ranked this higher and while this may be a no-no I just felt like it was a pretty far reach for me so I decided to put some other programs above it due to just being realistic with my stats/competitiveness*

Dude...

Not how the algorithm works. You don't get penalized or anything for ranking a "reach" program above a more "realistic" one.

The algorithm favors your preferences, which is why EVERY SINGLE RESOURCE tells you to rank programs in order of your true preference and not your perceived likelihood to match.

Reactions: 8 users
I would have ranked this higher and while this may be a no-no I just felt like it was a pretty far reach for me so I decided to put some other programs above it due to just being realistic with my stats/competitiveness*

Yea this doesnt really make sense, unless you ranked it lower bc you just didnt feel like it was a good match. Either way good luck!

First post ever but use this site a lot and think its interesting to see everyone's list
My main considerations where 1) how happy the residents seem 2) the city and if I already have close friends in the city 3) best gyms, spin studios, pools ( its important to me probably not many others used this as a criteria for ranking but I have to believe there are a few other crazy fitness people out there like me :) ) 4) if I would need to commute 5) 3 year program

1. New York Methodist - rotated here, loved it, residents work realllllly hard but they are really smart and I think when they graduate they can handle anything. Also they only have to commute to brookdale which isn't bad at all and I hate to drive more than anything so this was super important to me. Also I love US and they have great US faculty. I have a few really close friends in new York and I absolutely love Brooklyn even more than NYC. Cons- 12 hour shifts but I think I will get used to it..and the sim room is like a closet

2. Mount Sinai BI - would have been number 1 but they have to commute to Jacobi and Elmhurst which I hate. It would have been 1 for the location (close to amazing gyms/spin/pool) and close to my friends that live in NY. My interview day totally sucked though and I like the residents at Methodist better.

3. Jackson Memorial - had this at 1 til basically feb 24th. I love that its a new program because I love the idea of being the senior resident as an intern- don't love taking orders from others so would have been nice to only have attendings and not other residents boss me around...they commute 1/3 of the time to Fort Lauderdale so this ultimately made me rank JMH 3 not 1. I think this program will be amazing.

4. Cook County - if this wasn't a 4 year program it hands down would have been my number 1 program. I rotated here and the attendings and residents are all so smart and awesome and every shift was seriously so fun whoever matches here will be really lucky! Chicago is amazing even with terrible weather.

5. BMC - 4 year program in a city that I don't love but wouldn't be miserable to end up here. The PD is really cool and I had an awesome interview day. The residents are active and some are triathletes and were able to race as interns which means their schedule can't be too heavy..

6 and beyond : Hackensack, north shore, , Jacobi/monte, brookdale, Presence Ressurection, Duke, LSU NO, Yale, WashU, LIJ

It's to drive us crazy. It has to be. No other reason really makes sense. Why allow us to start planning our lives ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I don't get why they don't just move the rank list deadline to the first week of feb. do we really need 3 plus weeks to rank? Then have match week like the third week of February if they really need 3 weeks to do QC

Members don't see this ad :)
*I would have ranked this higher and while this may be a no-no I just felt like it was a pretty far reach for me so I decided to put some other programs above it due to just being realistic with my stats/competitiveness*

iWKad22.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
First post ever but use this site a lot and think its interesting to see everyone's list
My main considerations where 1) how happy the residents seem 2) the city and if I already have close friends in the city 3) best gyms, spin studios, pools ( its important to me probably not many others used this as a criteria for ranking but I have to believe there are a few other crazy fitness people out there like me :) ) 4) if I would need to commute 5) 3 year program

1. New York Methodist - rotated here, loved it, residents work realllllly hard but they are really smart and I think when they graduate they can handle anything. Also they only have to commute to brookdale which isn't bad at all and I hate to drive more than anything so this was super important to me. Also I love US and they have great US faculty. I have a few really close friends in new York and I absolutely love Brooklyn even more than NYC. Cons- 12 hour shifts but I think I will get used to it..and the sim room is like a closet

2. Mount Sinai BI - would have been number 1 but they have to commute to Jacobi and Elmhurst which I hate. It would have been 1 for the location (close to amazing gyms/spin/pool) and close to my friends that live in NY. My interview day totally sucked though and I like the residents at Methodist better.

3. Jackson Memorial - had this at 1 til basically feb 24th. I love that its a new program because I love the idea of being the senior resident as an intern- don't love taking orders from others so would have been nice to only have attendings and not other residents boss me around...they commute 1/3 of the time to Fort Lauderdale so this ultimately made me rank JMH 3 not 1. I think this program will be amazing.

4. Cook County - if this wasn't a 4 year program it hands down would have been my number 1 program. I rotated here and the attendings and residents are all so smart and awesome and every shift was seriously so fun whoever matches here will be really lucky! Chicago is amazing even with terrible weather.

5. BMC - 4 year program in a city that I don't love but wouldn't be miserable to end up here. The PD is really cool and I had an awesome interview day. The residents are active and some are triathletes and were able to race as interns which means their schedule can't be too heavy..

6 and beyond : Hackensack, north shore, , Jacobi/monte, brookdale, Presence Ressurection, Duke, LSU NO, Yale, WashU, LIJ

this is the most bizarre rank list to me but ok

I don't get why they don't just move the rank list deadline to the first week of feb. do we really need 3 plus weeks to rank? Then have match week like the third week of February if they really need 3 weeks to do QC

Not every specialty stops interviewing mid Jan like EM....

I understand that you're a DO and were involved in the DO match, where the *****s there tell you to do things like this, as they did me (a big part of why I collectively told them all to go stuff it) but still, like was said above EVERY SINGLE REPUTABLE PIECE OF INFORMATION SAYS NOT TO DO THIS!!!

upload_2016-3-2_20-2-33.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Damn, Resurrection not getting much love from anybody but me. TBH I'm ok with that since it helps my odds. Also you do realize there are comparable quality/quantity gyms in pretty much every big city right?

You done goofed. I can say that as a fellow DO student.

Future applicants, you make your rank list based on where you WANT TO GO, not where you think you have the best chance of matching! The match favors the applicant.

Speaking for myself, there was one program on my list that I considered bumping down because it's a "reach" program (ended up ranking it highly anyway). I was slightly concerned about matching there, then becoming known as my class's "dumb resident" lol.

Maybe this is what he/she meant?

That would quite possibly be even more absurd

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone remember the good ole days when rank list threads were about rank lists? Where have our mods gone??

Reactions: 2 users
Not every specialty stops interviewing mid Jan like EM....

Most specialties interview a lot earlier than EM, no? My friends who applied to other specialties were done in December.

Most specialties interview a lot earlier than EM, no? My friends who applied to other specialties were done in December.
A friend doing neuro was still interviewing at the end of Jan

Reactions: 1 user
A friend doing neuro was still interviewing at the end of Jan

peds, IM, psych all seemed to be done way before us. Either way they could condense the schedule a bit and get us a few more weeks to plan uprooting our lives.

Agreed!

I had a friend interviewing in EM into Feb. Also an ortho friend still had at least one in Feb.

Given that there is three and a half weeks, I am kind of surprised that the soap process isn't drug out longer.

I do know Med students whose schools do a big match day celebration. I can see having a March match day benefit them 2/2 weather.

In reality I am not sure how much planning we can actually do. I know there will be a lot of paperwork. From my understanding people don't go looking for houses or apartments to rent until May some June because putting a down payment down before then and paying rent gets to be expensive.

With that being said, limbo is annoying.

I have a friend who's fiancé is a lawyer and will have to take the bar in whatever state they move to. It takes forever apparently. I have to sell my house here. Things like that.

I do know Med students whose schools do a big match day celebration. I can see having a March match day benefit them 2/2 weather.

Early March is indistinguishable from February anywhere this would be a problem.

Speaking for myself, there was one program on my list that I considered bumping down because it's a "reach" program (ended up ranking it highly anyway). I was slightly concerned about matching there, then becoming known as my class's "dumb resident" lol.

Maybe this is what he/she meant?

He, for the record haha. Honestly it was obviously just bad advice I was given. I was told by a mentor that it'd be wise not to throw the reaches high up if there was not a substantial difference in my "fit/feeling" for said program. I'd be happy anywhere on my list but as I said it was just less than stellar advice I had received. Not a huge deal as it wouldn't have gone top 2 either way, just an internal debate between 3-5. I appreciate the info guys, I'll make sure to pass on the correct advice to future students.

He, for the record haha. Honestly it was obviously just bad advice I was given. I was told by a mentor that it'd be wise not to throw the reaches high up if there was not a substantial difference in my "fit/feeling" for said program. I'd be happy anywhere on my list but as I said it was just less than stellar advice I had received. Not a huge deal as it wouldn't have gone top 2 either way, just an internal debate between 3-5. I appreciate the info guys, I'll make sure to pass on the correct advice to future students.
This mentor needs a new job. Like maybe "mentee".

Quick update: will post the rols submitted this week this afternoon. Apologies to those who have been waiting for their rols to be posted. Been busy studying for my last shelf exam!

Last edited:
Quick update: will post the rols submitted this week this afternoon. Apologies to those who have been waiting for their rols to be posted. Been busy studying for my last shelf exam!
You have a shelf exam 4th year? What sort of sadistic school do you go to?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
You have a shelf exam 4th year? What sort of sadistic school do you go to?!

lulz.

I had 2 shelf exams this year: The NBME EM exam, and NBME Advanced Clinical Exam at the end of my required Medicine AI. Just took the latter of those two this past Monday...damn it feels good to be done.

Maybe this is old news, but seems like Parkland hospital at UTSW has had some medicolegal issues in recent years. Can anyone comment on whether that has had any impact on the program or its future?

Maybe this is old news, but seems like Parkland hospital at UTSW has had some medicolegal issues in recent years. Can anyone comment on whether that has had any impact on the program or its future?

The issues from 5-6 years ago? Or did something recent take place? Financially UTSW has been thriving, plus the 2 brand new facilities. I do personally think it is the best program in Texas. The residents are a cool bunch. But there are drawbacks to the program which include the tense relationship with trauma surgery (they just bypassed that by getting most of their trauma training at another facility that is a level 2 hospital). And I think the other draw back is that Parkland is a very busy place which usually translates into consulting a lot of things that otherwise the ED takes care of in some top notch programs like Cinci. But parkland teaches efficiency beyond anything else. As a UTSW student, I'm personally unaware of any medicolegal issues taking place that will seriously impact UTSW. Little things go around here and there but by and large, it's a ridiculously strong institute financially.

Show me a hospital that hasn't had medicolegal issues in the past and I'll show you a hospital that's set to open next week.

Reactions: 4 users
The issues from 5-6 years ago? Or did something recent take place? Financially UTSW has been thriving, plus the 2 brand new facilities. I do personally think it is the best program in Texas. The residents are a cool bunch. But there are drawbacks to the program which include the tense relationship with trauma surgery (they just bypassed that by getting most of their trauma training at another facility that is a level 2 hospital). And I think the other draw back is that Parkland is a very busy place which usually translates into consulting a lot of things that otherwise the ED takes care of in some top notch programs like Cinci. But parkland teaches efficiency beyond anything else. As a UTSW student, I'm personally unaware of any medicolegal issues taking place that will seriously impact UTSW. Little things go around here and there but by and large, it's a ridiculously strong institute financially.

Thanks for that. Hate to be that guy... but do you know anything about how the trauma experience works there now?

Show me a hospital that hasn't had medicolegal issues in the past and I'll show you a hospital that's set to open next week.

Fair point.

Thanks for that. Hate to be that guy... but do you know anything about how the trauma experience works there now?

All I know is what I found out during the interview. This is my understanding of what went on before and what has been going on for the last 6 or so months (which the residents absolutely love).

Before:

2 months trauma I believe? One of those was intern year and the other year was 2nd year I believe. EM went on the trauma team and as far as I know was mostly involved with scut. They essentially wrote all the notes while on the trauma team (atleast as interns. Not sure what the R2s did while on Trauma). Every medical student at UTSW goes through 2 weeks of trauma and my interns on the team were both EM. The EM interns would also get ripped apart during M&M conferences by one of the attendings. Anyway, Hospital politics usually meant that any level 3 and above was immediately taken to trauma. As an example, while on my EM month, a patient who was stable following a car crash had the faintest seat belt sign. She was upgraded to level 3 and sent over to trauma. She could have easily been taken care of by EM, and at a lot of other institutes, she probably would have had.

After:

The R2 month in trauma is now taking place at a level 2 community hospital. Now the residents are the only residents there and they get to take care of every trauma that comes in. According to them, even though its a level 2, they actually get to see quite a bit of level 1 as well. The residents absolutely love it at the new place and seems like they are having a hands down much superior experience. Given the hugely positive response from the residents, the leadership is now even considering sending the interns on their 1 month to this other hospital as well. All I know is that the residents are really happy with this change, and having been on trauma for 2 weeks myself, I can see why that change was needed.

Also, I don't want to take anything away from UTSW. I do genuinely think UTSW is one of the strongest programs in Texas and you're plugged in to come out with a job in the most lucrative market. And while it's not my no. 1 on my list, but if I wanted to stay in Texas, this would have been the place to be. The current intern class has people in it from UTSW med school that could have easily gone anywhere in the US. I can think of atleast 2 260+ AOA guys who ended up staying. The residents really are a happy cohesive group. Infact my first shift was with Dr. Dierks (chair of the department) as attending. The residents were joking around with her as well, which is essentially how the resident faculty interaction usually goes at UTSW.

All I know is what I found out during the interview. This is my understanding of what went on before and what has been going on for the last 6 or so months (which the residents absolutely love).

Before:

2 months trauma I believe? One of those was intern year and the other year was 2nd year I believe. EM went on the trauma team and as far as I know was mostly involved with scut. They essentially wrote all the notes while on the trauma team (atleast as interns. Not sure what the R2s did while on Trauma). Every medical student at UTSW goes through 2 weeks of trauma and my interns on the team were both EM. The EM interns would also get ripped apart during M&M conferences by one of the attendings. Anyway, Hospital politics usually meant that any level 3 and above was immediately taken to trauma. As an example, while on my EM month, a patient who was stable following a car crash had the faintest seat belt sign. She was upgraded to level 3 and sent over to trauma. She could have easily been taken care of by EM, and at a lot of other institutes, she probably would have had.

After:

The R2 month in trauma is now taking place at a level 2 community hospital. Now the residents are the only residents there and they get to take care of every trauma that comes in. According to them, even though its a level 2, they actually get to see quite a bit of level 1 as well. The residents absolutely love it at the new place and seems like they are having a hands down much superior experience. Given the hugely positive response from the residents, the leadership is now even considering sending the interns on their 1 month to this other hospital as well. All I know is that the residents are really happy with this change, and having been on trauma for 2 weeks myself, I can see why that change was needed.

Also, I don't want to take anything away from UTSW. I do genuinely think UTSW is one of the strongest programs in Texas and you're plugged in to come out with a job in the most lucrative market. And while it's not my no. 1 on my list, but if I wanted to stay in Texas, this would have been the place to be. The current intern class has people in it from UTSW med school that could have easily gone anywhere in the US. I can think of atleast 2 260+ AOA guys who ended up staying. The residents really are a happy cohesive group. Infact my first shift was with Dr. Dierks (chair of the department) as attending. The residents were joking around with her as well, which is essentially how the resident faculty interaction usually goes at UTSW.

Thanks!

Submitted via Google Forms

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: 1) location 2) prefer more academic programs 3) awesomeness of residents 4) fellowships, overall reputation. Stats: top (ish) med school, step 1>240, step 2> 250, all honors. Applied to 43 schools (so stupid and $$ but whatever), went on 12 interviews, 2 rejections from Carolinas and Bellevue.

1) UPenn

2) Temple

3) MGH/BWH

4) Northwestern

5) BMC

6 and beyond: Cincinnati, Christiana, Yale, UMD, UPMC