2014 Scramble Support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh okay that's fine. If anyone knows- typically when do they do interviews? Like will they do it next week? I just hope I'll be able to make them if I get any. I already missed a lot of days from my rotations to do the pre-match ones..

Members don't see this ad.

Does it make sense to scramble a program that you applied the first time and did not get interview invite?

Does it make sense to scramble a program that you applied the first time and did not get interview invite?
It's worth a shot! I would try it. I don't think I would try to scramble with a program that interviewed me and didn't match. But scrambling with a program that I had applied but never got an invite from is different.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope everyone is handing well with this emotional stress. I have couple questions for you guys.
-I just wanted to clarify and make sure that we can reuse the LOR from the initial app, because I won't have time to ask them again.
-How's the process gonna go from now on exactly? I'm little confused. We apply just like we did before, then program offers you interview, and they can offer you positions anytime?

I apologize for the very basic questions.

I hope everyone is handing well with this emotional stress. I have couple questions for you guys.
-I just wanted to clarify and make sure that we can reuse the LOR from the initial app, because I won't have time to ask them again.
-How's the process gonna go from now on exactly? I'm little confused. We apply just like we did before, then program offers you interview, and they can offer you positions anytime?

I apologize for the very basic questions.
You can re-use those same LORs just as they are. I asked for general letters for the scramble (didn't participate in the match itself).

Monday at noon, applications can begin to be submitted. Programs are recommended to not make any employment decisions until next Monday.

I believe interviews can take place this week (allowing for potential hire the following Monday).

I am consider residency, how to apply at position in scrambel if no sign up for match? how to see open positions list available? someone can pm me list?

Thanks! are every position on this list updated when position is fill?? how often list is update?

You can re-use those same LORs just as they are. I asked for general letters for the scramble (didn't participate in the match itself).

Monday at noon, applications can begin to be submitted. Programs are recommended to not make any employment decisions until next Monday.

I believe interviews can take place this week (allowing for potential hire the following Monday).

I am know almost eveyrbody i talk to already submit applications. I think dont wait for Monday so position already is fill...

I am know almost eveyrbody i talk to already submit applications. I think dont wait for Monday so position already is fill...
No one is able to submit applications via PhORCAS until Monday. If they're applying outside of that, then the program isn't following the post-match rules.

I think there's a lot of confusion between what worked in the past and these "new" rules now. I'd like to hope for the best!

I don't think it matters to contact a program that 1. you didn't get an interview at or 2. didn't rank you. Since you have nothing to lose and don't have to resubmit the fee, I say go for it... Although I think your chances are slim, but hey you never know.

Thanks! are every position on this list updated when position is fill?? how often list is update?

Last year a lot of places were still on that list that had spots filled, so it's not 100% accurate and doesn't get updated frequently.

Can anyone here comment on scrambling to out of state programs? It seems like direct preceptor/faculty recommendations to programs are necessary to get you considered for a post-match interview. Would it be a waste of time to apply to out of state programs if you had no 'connection' there?

Can anyone here comment on scrambling to out of state programs? It seems like direct preceptor/faculty recommendations to programs are necessary to get you considered for a post-match interview. Would it be a waste of time to apply to out of state programs if you had no 'connection' there?

I applied and got an out of state position for my residency post match. I think it's to be expected that you're applying to programs that know nothing about you and you have no connections to in the scramble. This isn't the same pre-match when you had time to research the programs heavily and speak with them at Midyear. You have to quickly decide if this program has what you want and go for it. Everyone that I've known to successfully scramble has done it out of state.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied and got an out of state position for my residency post match. I think it's to be expected that you're applying to programs that know nothing about you and you have no connections to in the scramble. This isn't the same pre-match when you had time to research the programs heavily and speak with them at Midyear. You have to quickly decide if this program has what you want and go for it. Everyone that I've known to successfully scramble has done it out of state.

Yes I agree with GoldfishPharmD. I scrambled out of state and had no connections or ties to the program. I will say however geography may play a big factor as the interviews I got in the scramble where close to my hometown at the time, mainly east coast programs I heard back from and none out west or further south that I had applied too. It is also wise to pick some programs that if they extend an offer to interview you can go to at any moment. Phone/Skype interviews are convenient and good but I think you make the BEST impression in person. Just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Our scrambled resident was from out of state with no connections last year. I don't think it is a bad thing and can bring some variety to the typical in state candidates.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the feedback everyone! The people I know who scrambled last year got offers due to strong connections, so I was very worried. I definitely have more confidence to apply to out of state programs now.

Things are different with Phorcas. Applicants can't submit until Monday. Many programs honor the moratorium and wait the week to offer spots.
You're right - that was pre-Phorcas. I forget things are different now. I know we would still make a decision within a couple of days after it is allowed, other sites might wait longer and do in-person interviews I don't know.

Regarding applying where you weren't ranked...it could work in your favor if you already interviewed since they'd at least know you from the sea of applicants. If you interview didn't suck that is :laugh:

just curious - how many sites are you guys applying to?

Ok. Yesterday when I checked the available positions and went to PHORCAS to add some programs, I noticed some programs were listed in PHORCAS that were not in the available position list. Today I see some programs are already removed from both lists. I already prepared some statements to find out some of those positions are not there any more. Did anyone else have the same problem? Or do the programs you already designated do't appear in the list? I am confused.

I just want to clarify. If I am applying to a program that I applied to previously (but did not interview for), PhORCAS does not allow me to resubmit the application? I just need to inform the program that I would like to be reconsidered, correct?

I just want to clarify. If I am applying to a program that I applied to previously (but did not interview for), PhORCAS does not allow me to resubmit the application? I just need to inform the program that I would like to be reconsidered, correct?
I did this and got an email back saying they will review my application. So i would go ahead and send an email to the RPD

Said i wasnt going to scramble but had to try one more time at this place i already applied to for kicks.

Also, is anyone else getting emails from programs telling them information about their residency program?

Correct

I am ask around and found out good number positions on this list already fill

If someone was to apply through phorcas and submitted everything around 12pm.......when about would you typically hear back from programs??

If someone was to apply through phorcas and submitted everything around 12pm.......when about would you typically hear back from programs??
Took me 2-3 weeks for interviews. Rejections came within the first week.

Just so I'm 100% and read it correctly....

If my letters are general but they each were labeled Program1_LOI, etc. the RPDs will not see the Program1_LOI heading in phorcas, they will jsut see the content ?

Yes, I'm talking about the scramble.
holy smokes.....i was under the assumption that they do this super fast. Why did I get the impression that they have phone interviews like a day or 2 later....and thatnks for being so helpful goldfish

holy smokes.....i was under the assumption that they do this super fast. Why did I get the impression that they have phone interviews like a day or 2 later....and thatnks for being so helpful goldfish
Some people heard quicker. It was slower for me so it varies. No problem! Glad to help! :)

It really depends on the program. Some programs take their time and have on-site interviews for 2 to 3 weeks before selecting their post match resident(s); whereas other programs only conduct phone interviews. Bottom line, ask the program of interest what their post match process is.

I'm applying for the second year so I understand how it feels. Hang in there everyone!

One program contacted me today for a phone interview later this week. Can I expect about the same questions they would ask during a regular interview?

I have a skype interview and a phone interview.. im scared im going to lose connection at the hospital i work at T____T; anyone got advice for these kind of interviews?

Good luck everyone!! Hope the interviews are successful! SDNers seem to have had success scrambling in the past so hopefully that trend continues *fingers crossed*

One program contacted me today for a phone interview later this week. Can I expect about the same questions they would ask during a regular interview?
Pretty much. Most programs always seem to ask the same things. Strengths, weakness, why you want a PGY-2, time of conflict, etc.

According to Goldfish, I know it probably takes some time to hear back from programs, but I cant help but get nervous from not hearing back anything from any programs so far. I know its only been less than 24 hours, but I cant help but feel nervous. Especially when some here have already heard back about phone interviews or skype interviews. Im just really nervous.

I applied to 13 programs through the "scramble"....

I guess I'm just anxious/nervous/depressed/scared/etc... =[

My program is not even reviewing anything until the end of the week so don't get too worried. Some places still have the old mentality of "it has to be done as fast as possible" when in reality probably all those people who are committed to doing a residency and are scrambling are more than qualified and programs should really take their time.

Side note: This process is such a money suck I feel bad for all the candidates.

Match results came out last year the Friday before the start of my last 5 week rotation and I just remember it being in the middle of that before any news, so don't give up hope. My program said they took their time last year to go through the application material.

I got emailed in the morning and my program wanted to do a phone interview that afternoon with me. My preceptor let me leave a little early to prepare. A couple if days after that, they emailed me with the offer. So give it some time.

Heard back from a program, but it was a voicemail! I didnt have service all day on my phone (at rotation)....I left them a return voicemail cause they didnt answer.....stupid phone service! I'm so on edge with all of this. I hope they call me back and didnt fill up all interview slots. Who knows when they called me, as my voicemail didnt tell me what time they left a voicemail!?!?! ahhhh