2014 Ortho Interview Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i didn't quite understand if it was me you were asking for or NavyDMD. I applied to 9 programs on PASS .

I don't get it. Why don't you apply to every single program? Or close to it? Over on the Derm forum (the medical equivalent of Orthodontics), applicants were applying to every Derm program in the country.

Check out the survey from their forum. 63% of applicants applied to 60 or more programs. 20+% applied to over 20 programs, and I'm guessing that most applied to almost 60 programs. You need to apply to 50+ programs and then you will match.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=9037

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=865018

From post #17 on the thread:

"I was one of those applicants (about 20+ publications, 8 first author [6 peer-reviewed basic science and clinical, 2 book chapters], 3 first author abstracts, 3 presentations (oral) at national meetings, including SID, 2 first place awards for my research at regional (state derm. association) and institutional meetings) and still applied to 108 programs...Total interviews ~8, some of which I didn't expect. I mean...seriously...you're only going to apply to 20 programs after spending all this time and hard work trying to get into derm? If you don't match, you're losing ~$280,000/year (attending) - ~$50,000 (pay as a fellow/PGY) = ~ net $230,000 of "lost income" every year you aren't matched. Plus, consider that if you don't match, it's harder to match the second time around (most places that interviewed you the first time around won't consider interviewing you again). An extra $2000 to apply to all the programs is a drop in the bucket. Let me point you to this article...the two med. students from Harvard "only" matched at Mayo (in the Midwest, which is a good program but probably not where these East and West Coasters wanted to end up):

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/19/fa...pagewanted=all

Moral of the story: you never know...are you a good gambler?"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just received a rejection email from St. Barnabas y'all :( It's ok though, lots more programs left!

hi, I applied for 9 programs only, which I selectively chose before I sent out applications. It all comes with how much cash i have and my budget to apply for these programs. I would not put application process money which I owed. i also won't spend all my money for the applications. I did extensive research about each school, what kind of applicant they matched eqch year. If I think I won't match their criteria, I would not waste my money just because people said "you have to apply to all the schools available because it is so competitive.
I admire people who applied for all those schools, and I also respect others who applied only some of the school. All in all, it is about their own decision.

I would not agree when it is quoted well you lost the POSSIBLE income if youdo not match. Orthodontics is not everything, you could be general dentist and makes same as orthodontist.

it is not all about money.

Just my 2 cents

=Silent Cool;14466459]I don't get it. Why don't you apply to every single program? Or close to it? Over on the Derm forum (the medical equivalent of Orthodontics), applicants were applying to every Derm program in the country.

Check out the survey from their forum. 63% of applicants applied to 60 or more programs. 20+% applied to over 20 programs, and I'm guessing that most applied to almost 60 programs. You need to apply to 50+ programs and then you will match.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=9037

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=865018

From post #17 on the thread:

"I was one of those applicants (about 20+ publications, 8 first author [6 peer-reviewed basic science and clinical, 2 book chapters], 3 first author abstracts, 3 presentations (oral) at national meetings, including SID, 2 first place awards for my research at regional (state derm. association) and institutional meetings) and still applied to 108 programs...Total interviews ~8, some of which I didn't expect. I mean...seriously...you're only going to apply to 20 programs after spending all this time and hard work trying to get into derm? If you don't match, you're losing ~$280,000/year (attending) - ~$50,000 (pay as a fellow/PGY) = ~ net $230,000 of "lost income" every year you aren't matched. Plus, consider that if you don't match, it's harder to match the second time around (most places that interviewed you the first time around won't consider interviewing you again). An extra $2000 to apply to all the programs is a drop in the bucket. Let me point you to this article...the two med. students from Harvard "only" matched at Mayo (in the Midwest, which is a good program but probably not where these East and West Coasters wanted to end up):

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/19/fa...pagewanted=all

Moral of the story: you never know...are you a good gambler?"[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
ASDOH, email 9/12, social and interview Oct 7th
Baylor, email 9/19, social 11/4 or 11/5, interview 11/4, 11/5, or 11/6
Boston University, email 9/17, no social mentioned but probably the night before, interviews on Oct. 18 or Nov. 8.
Georgia Regents, phone 9/18, social 10/13, interview 10/14
Iowa, email 9/4, social Sep. 26th, interview Sep 27th or soc Oct. 17th/int 18th
Loma Linda, phone 9/6, Interview Oct 23/24
LSU, email 9/6, social Oct. 17th, interview Oct 17th or 18th
MUSC, email oct 8th or 9th, social the night before
Michigan, interview Oct16, and 21
Minnesota, email 9/19, Interview 10/14 (social night before)
Montefiore, Phone 9/9, social Oct. 6, interview Oct. 7
Nebraska. Phone 9/11. Interview Oct 28, 29
Nova email 9/16 for oct 8, social night before
Ohio State, phone 9/19, interviews Oct. 28 and 29, socials the night before
Oklahoma, phone 8/21, 24/25 Oct.
Orgeon, phone 9/12, social Oct 24, interview Oct 25
Rochester, phone 9/5, interviews 9/17-8, 9/19-20, 10/3-4, 10/10-11
St. Barnabas, email 9/10, no social mentioned, interviews 16/17 October
SLU-CADE, email 9/13, interviews 10/21-10/24 with socials the night before
Seton Hill, Email 8/27, social Oct. 10th, interview Oct. 11th
Tennessee, email 9/19, Interview October 18th (social night before)
UIC, email 9/11, interview Oct 3, 10, 17, 24, Social night before
UMKC, email 9/17, interview Oct 21, social night before.
UNLV, email 9/6, social Oct 3, interviews Oct 3/4
UPENN, email 9/9, social Oct 15th or 27th, interview Oct 16th or 28th
Vanderbilt, Phone/Email 9/3, social Sept. 26th, interview Sept. 27th

thank you for the heartwarming response! i tried to be very selective as well in application process! let's wait and see whether I made a right decision or not! i still have 7 more programs to come and all you need is that one program!! keeping my hopes high! good luck to all of you out there! this has been one of the most terrible couple of months in my life! checking up my email and this forum every 20ish minutes!

Dear Silent Cool! i might have made a stupid mistake! only time will tell!

thank you for the heartwarming response! i tried to be very selective as well in application process! let's wait and see whether I made a right decision or not! i still have 7 more programs to come and all you need is that one program!! keeping my hopes high! good luck to all of you out there! this has been one of the most terrible couple of months in my life! checking up my email and this forum every 20ish minutes!

You're funny. This is good stuff.

my pleasure. It's just one, one interview we need to get accepted if it is meant to be. No matter how hard you tried if itnis not meant to be it will never happen because ai belive God has a better plan for us

hi, I applied for 9 programs only, which I selectively chose before I sent out applications. It all comes with how much cash i have and my budget to apply for these programs. I would not put application process money which I owed. i also won't spend all my money for the applications. I did extensive research about each school, what kind of applicant they matched eqch year. If I think I won't match their criteria, I would not waste my money just because people said "you have to apply to all the schools available because it is so competitive.
I admire people who applied for all those schools, and I also respect others who applied only some of the school. All in all, it is about their own decision.

Applying to anything is a numbers game and 9 is not enough.

Applying to anything is a numbers game and 9 is not enough.

You coud believe in anything you want to believe, but you can't tell people what to do. Nuff said. BTW you are more in medical field, Are you an orthodntist?

You coud believe in anything you want to believe, but you can't tell people what to do. Nuff said. BTW you are more in medical field, Are you an orthodntist?

lol:laugh:

The phenomenon of a 'numbers game' is not isolated to any one profession or part of life.

But good luck with your 9.
As I said before, simply increase your odds by applying to as many programs as you can humanly afford. That's common sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have experience that the school who invite you wants your vaccination and uour TB test up to date for interview?

USC. Email 9/19. Interview October 21,social the night before.

lol:laugh:

The phenomenon of a 'numbers game' is not isolated to any one profession or part of life.

But good luck with your 9.
As I said before, simply increase your odds by applying to as many programs as you can humanly afford. That's common sense.

Until one doesn't match, they don't understand the fear of not matching. That's why you'll always meet those who applied to like 3 programs and match act like it's completely normal. Seems like the Derm applicants get it because it sounds like it is much more difficult trying to match into derm the second time around than it is in trying to match into ortho the second time around.

Probably some of the people who only apply to a handful of schools might know they have an "in" or a backdoor connection so they don't need to be so worried.

Maybe it's easier to "research" which programs are more likely to invite you these days with the internets and all. Back in the day when some of us applied, it was a total crap shoot. I swore I would end up at an east coast program just due to the volume of programs and people here. Nope.

Houston , email 9/20, social 10/15 and 10/16, interview 10/16 and 10/17

Boston University, email 9/17, no social mentioned but probably the night before, interviews on Oct. 18 or Nov. 8.

Until one doesn't match, they don't understand the fear of not matching. That's why you'll always meet those who applied to like 3 programs and match act like it's completely normal. Seems like the Derm applicants get it because it sounds like it is much more difficult trying to match into derm the second time around than it is in trying to match into ortho the second time around.

Probably some of the people who only apply to a handful of schools might know they have an "in" or a backdoor connection so they don't need to be so worried.

Maybe it's easier to "research" which programs are more likely to invite you these days with the internets and all. Back in the day when some of us applied, it was a total crap shoot. I swore I would end up at an east coast program just due to the volume of programs and people here. Nope.

Yup. I like the saying, "The only thing more expensive than applying to more programs is having to apply a second time."

well I am clearly starting to feel the fear of not matching!! hell, the fear of nit getting any interviews! :scared:

I think this topic's purpose is to support and give positive feedback on people who are "APPLYING" for Orthodontics program. I know you are not, Silent Cool. I read you previous posts, you were all over the place, medical, dental, etc. Your work is not in medical/dental practicing field.
With all do respect, please stop making people feel bad in this stressful time. If you want to make discussion about how many programs you should apply, please make a new topic, but not here.

Last edited:
I think this topic's purpose is to support and give positive feedback on people who are "APPLYING" for Orthodontics program. I know you are not. I read you previous posts, you were all over the place, medical, dental, etc. Your work is not in medical/dental practicing field.
With full respect, please stop making people feel bad in this stressful time. If you want to make discussion about how many programs you should apply, please make a new topic, but not here.

Well the interviews should not be stressful. Here's a preview of what 90% of the programs are going to tell you.

"Just relax and be yourself. The purpose of the interview is to get to know you better. That's all. We're a very friendly group of residents. We're looking for people who are easy to get along with because we value teamwork. We're also very clinically focused."

Well the interviews should not be stressful. Here's a preview of what 90% of the programs are going to tell you.

"Just relax and be yourself. The purpose of the interview is to get to know you better. That's all. We're a very friendly group of residents. We're looking for people who are easy to get along with because we value teamwork. We're also very clinically focused."

Totally true. The first question they usually ask is "tell me a little bit about yourself". In many ways, the interview becomes a personality contest and all stats are checked at the door (supposedly). Some of the ways that you can blow an interview is by acting too cocky at the mixer the night before (most residents don't get a deciding vote, but they can black ball you). I hope this information helps.

Connecticut, phone 9/20, social Oct 2/3, interview Oct 3/4

Thanks Griffindor, It is a stressful to wait for the interview invites, once you got interviews you are relieve. We do support each other in this topic instead of making people feel bad about what had happened (stressing why some people applied for a number of school, etc)

Thanks Griffindor, It is a stressful to wait for the interview invites, once you got interviews you are relieve. We do support each other in this topic instead of making people feel bad about what had happened (stressing why some people applied for a number of school, etc)

Though you will find what I wrote is true, it was meant to have a hint of sarcasm in it. Because as ortho lurker alluded to, what the residents don't tell you is "We are totally judging you like we're back in 6th grade trying to establish cliques all over again."

Oh yes I agree with you griffindor about the interview ;) It is not all everything about to be yourself ;) At my last "stop"at the school, after the interview the admission committee would ask the residents what they thought about the applicants, and they narrowed them down to be discusses with the rest of the faculty and the program director. I learnt that connections play a huge role in acceptance. it is sad but it is true.

Is there anyone out there with an interview invite to St. Barnabas who would be willing to switch their October 16 date for my October 17 date? If so please message me. Thanks!

Is there also anyone with a Montefiore interview on Oct. 7th that could switch to Oct 14th? Please let me know!

Just received hard letter interview invite from UMKC. I guess they are still giving out interview invites :)

Thanks tooth, it was a very pleasant surprise :) I was curious because others received emails for invitation so I looked through and found the original invitation in my spam folder. Check your spam folder guys just to be safe.

Just got a phone call from Baylor! Interview 11/06, social 11/05. I guess they are still calling! YAY!!!

Am I the only one who got IV from UCLA? Received invitation on Sep 18 and the IV will be on Oct. 13 and 14.
Any news from Harvard? I even didn't receive application complete notification!

Did any one hear from Maryland, Case Western, UCSF, or Detroit Mercy yet ?!

UCSF is still currently reviewing applications. Not sure about the others.

Anyone apply to Pacific and / or Stony Brook? Any word from either?

What is the point of taking the GRE? Where is the evidence to support that it is a good measure of potential success in residency? I don't understand how calculating combinations and geometry has anything to do with comparing appilcants for admission to a post-doctoral program. What a huge inconvenience. Any schools requiring GREs making exceptions for taking the exam? Thank you and good luck!

Am I the only one who got IV from UCLA? Received invitation on Sep 18 and the IV will be on Oct. 13 and 14.
Any news from Harvard? I even didn't receive application complete notification!

Mahsar, Pm me.

Did anyone receive an email for Uconn interview details? I got a call last week but was told to expect an email today.