2014 Match Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am struggling with the same thing. Historically UCSF has been better, but it seems that recently Stanford has gained a lot of ground and maybe in four years when we are finishing up Stanford will be the premier program in the bay area...

Yea after thinking about it for awhile i think im going with Stanford.. it is still clear that UCSF is an amazing program and at this point its just splitting hairs, but I also feel that Stanford has constantly tried to improve its educational curriculum for the better, that online start program, the short 15 minute daily lectures on key topics for the ITE, the case mix there is now as good if not better then UCSF (too much neuro not enough cardiac), ICU is a true mixed med/surgical - closed, co-directed with medicine run mostly by anesthesia, facilities are amazing (unfortunately only as a ca-3 will i get to see the new hospital), no crna's mean that I will work hard also - which is actually something I'm looking for in a program (might turn off some) as long as there is solid education as well. There are also all ACGME in-house fellowships at Stanford while UCSF has really slim pickings except for CCM some of which aren't accredited (weird) and at Stanford it seems most of the in-house residents get first dibs at. UCSF is kind of broke right now while Stanford has $$ so perhaps resources might be a little better at Stanford.

Something for other people to think about though is can you live in the burbs... i met some people who do live in SF but it can be quite a long commute to do daily (40-50min down 280 or 101) also the housing stipend is better at UCSF but salary is a tad lower - im not sure how that all evens out. A lot of the SF groups are dominated by UCSF grads while the southbay groups are Stanford grads - I'm not 100% sure what that means but it is something to think about if you want to live in SF afterwards.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea after thinking about it for awhile i think im going with Stanford..

Awesome choice. I was just down there for other reasons, and it's just such a great (but expensive) place to be.

I'm struggling with my #1 and 2 placement on my rank list and it's driving me nuts. The one that has the fellowship I want eventually is not in the location I want. Argh. They're both great programs, so I guess it's a good problem to have (assuming I match into one of them …).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!
I would love to get your thoughts on Rutgers-NJMS vs Rutgers-RJWMS vs UMASS vs UCONN.
I liked all 4 places. Any input (inside or not) on these programs. Am hoping to do a fellowship (cardiac or CC) afterwards.
Thank you!

I sent my "love letter" yesterday to my top choice....and then hours later got a very nice email from the chair of my second/third. This process is nuts! Like dating but 100x worse. I know it shouldn't change my opinions, but it is always nicer when it appears that the person you like really likes you. Other people having similar situations?

I sent my "love letter" yesterday to my top choice....and then hours later got a very nice email from the chair of my second/third. This process is nuts! Like dating but 100x worse. I know it shouldn't change my opinions, but it is always nicer when it appears that the person you like really likes you. Other people having similar situations?

I decided early on that no matter what any program said to me, it wasnt going to affect my rank list. You should always do your list based on what YOU want. But I agree that when you do get those emails, letters, calls... it can be difficult to not adjust your rank list when you think a program likes you.

Haha don't worry you are NOT alone in that problem. Love letters definitely "color" my perception of a program even though I keep telling myself that they shouldn't =)...

Its weird that when it was med school admissions all the cards were in the school's hand, now applying for residency getting all the flattering emails plays with your mind.

Last edited:
Has anyone else on here not been getting all these love letters? I'm starting to worry that I should expect disappointment on match day...

Has anyone else on here not been getting all these love letters? I'm starting to worry that I should expect disappointment on match day...
I haven't gotten any love letters but I didn't interview at any of the programs that sent them, so I'm not worried yet.

I would not worry too much. I've stopped paying attention to the post communication thread because it was freaking me out that I hadn't gotten phone calls or emails from many of the places people have mentioned. IWith the exception of this email I just mentioned and a note from a place I did an away I have only gotten more generic things. I'm just trusting the system will work.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not worry too much. I've stopped paying attention to the post communication thread because it was freaking me out that I hadn't gotten phone calls or emails from many of the places people have mentioned. IWith the exception of this email I just mentioned and a note from a place I did an away I have only gotten more generic things. I'm just trusting the system will work.
Yea. If programs are only contacting their ranked-to-match people, then I guess it doesn't mean much since the best program can only match at a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio in a good year. But then again, it seems like Stanford contacted well enough down their list... so who knows.

Would appreciate advice on these programs, would like to pursue a pain fellowship in the future. Biased to stay in NY cuz family is here, but prefer warm weather... so torn

. SUNY Downstate- great fellowship match results, why such bad press/reviews online?·
. Maimonides Medical Center Program, Brooklyn, NY: pretty cool crew of residents, the faculty seemed chill.
· St Barnabas Medical Center Program, Livingston, NJ; Private practice/Seemed very monied which is a plus, but the residents seemed aloof
· Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Hospital Program, Camden, NJ: small program, 2hrs or so from NYC, Great PD

· SUNY at Stony Brook Program, Stony Brook, NY: just okay, residents said they were overworked
. Boston University- haven't interviewed yet
. Cleveland clinic foundation- big name, great research opportunities, the city was -27 when I was there *@@*
· Temple University Hospital Program, Philadelphia, PA: Interesting place, liked my interview day, met very few residents during lunch, seemed standard

. Louisiana State University (Shreveport) Program, Shreveport, LA: seemed like a chill crew of residents, old hospital
· Medical College of Georgia Program, Augusta, GA; just ok
· Penn State University Hershey Medical Center Program, Hershey, PA: out there in the boonies, beautiful hospital on the inside
· Texas Tech University (Lubbock) Program, Lubbock, TX; Nice weather, very monied, small resident crew. Nice
· University at Buffalo Program, Buffalo, NY; Lema is a rockstar, but out there in the boonies too
· University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago Program, Chicago, IL; Yea chicago was cold, seemed like a nice tight resident crew. Standard program. PAIN fellowship in house +
· University of Mississippi Medical Center Program, Jackson, MS; The PD is very friendly, the residents were happy. I liked it. PAIN fellowship in house +

any input? appreciated!

Boston U - I liked the program, but they work a lot more than residents I met at other programs. Despite being in such an expensive place, they don't get paid all that well, especially compared to NYC programs. You said you haven't interviewed yet...it's already 2/13. They aren't seriously interviewing still, are they?

Buffalo - I really liked the program, diamond in the rough I'd say. Like you said, Lema is an awesome guy to have on your side if you're looking for a competitive fellowship like pain. However, it is Buffalo, NY...certainly not the most pleasant place to live. You also work in 6 or 7 different hospitals (all in Buffalo), which can be annoying having to learn the different systems used by each. On the other hand, you get a broad experience and don't have to put up with any unfriendly attendings for too long, considering you bounce around.

Maimonides - I had a completely different experience. There were certainly some chill residents, but for the most part, I felt they were pretty morose and didn't seem happy being there. The PD was very friendly, but some other attendings I met...well, if they were the only ones I had met, I wouldn't even rank the program. Also, outside of the tour, there were attendings hanging around almost the entire time we spent with the residents, which almost felt like they were making sure they weren't trashing the program. Who knows...glad to hear you enjoyed your day there.

Don't know a lot about the others, only what I've heard from people on the trail. Everyone I talked to loved Hershey, except for it being in Hershey. SUNY Downstate also got glowing reviews, but everyone I met was also apprehensive about their reputation for being malignant. Maybe things have changed, maybe they put up a nice facade for interviews...I don't know. Cleveland Clinic is obviously big name, but I heard they get near zero trauma. Take this paragraph with a grain of salt, of course. Only what I've heard from others. Best of luck.

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. These boards have been great resource over the years. I got kind of a random top 3 that i'm trying to order, wonder what people's thoughts are. Also, i'm thinking CCM fellowship.

In no particular order:

Vanderbilt - I was very impressed with the program and hospital. They have strong CCM (although probably not that relevant from a resident perspective?), focus on training academic anesthesiologists, and a very well-rounded clinical exposure. Also Nashville seems like a great city (livable, trendy, etc..) I have read and heard about possible malignancy issues (although older SDN threads) and that the hospital is in the middle of a major medicare lawsuit? Any repercussions of this for residents?

UPMC - Great interview day, all the faculty and residents were very friendly and happy. Seems like you get very well-rounded clinical exposure. Probably a relatively more "cush" program than Vanderbilt, definitely huge emphasis on resident education. Seemed like it was relatively fellow heavy, but hard for me to judge from interview day? Pittsburgh also looks like a livable up-and-coming city. Probably biggest "con" is its not a name-brand institution?

OHSU - From the midwest, so essentially this is more the allure of going out West and potentially settling out there. It seems like a solid nationally known academic program, although i'm not sure how it sizes up compared to vanderbilt and upmc? Its a smaller program with seemingly less volume of cases than the other programs, so its hard for me to gage what the case variety will be like. At this point, i'd rather get the best training possible > living in a cool city. Also, the program seems very CCM-oriented (there are a few integrated fellowship spots).

Thanks for any comments!

Members don't see this ad :)
UPMC - Great interview day, all the faculty and residents were very friendly and happy. Seems like you get very well-rounded clinical exposure. Probably a relatively more "cush" program than Vanderbilt, definitely huge emphasis on resident education. Seemed like it was relatively fellow heavy, but hard for me to judge from interview day? Pittsburgh also looks like a livable up-and-coming city. Probably biggest "con" is its not a name-brand institution?

If you're considering CCM, look hard at UPMC. The place is often regarded as the mothership of CCM and has its own CCM department (versus running it out of anesthesia like almost every other place). Sure, the name doesn't have the glamour of Man's Greatest Hospital, and Ma and Pa Kettle might not be impressed, but people in the know (e.g., future employers) know the score. UPMC is a monster medical institution that does everything and dominates the region.

I would say the greatest downside to UPMC is the location. Pittsburgh is a very livable mid-sized city but with somewhat crappy weather (not too much snow, but very cloudy/dreary in the winter). Not the most exciting or prettiest place in the world, but you'll be in the hospital 90% of your waking hours anyway.

*Disclaimer: I'm a UPMC anesthesiology grad*

Agree with foodle; if you like UPMC, it's mistake to not choose it because it ain't the biggest name - especially when your other top choices aren't Harvard or Hopkins either. For what it's worth (honestly not very much), on each of my interviews at other medical centers for critical care fellowship, I was asked why I would leave Pitt to train in CCM elsewhere...

whats a good number of prelim/transitional interviews to have to match? Could anybody also shed light on if prelim/transitional interviews PD give any indication about ranking you after you interviewed? I haven't gotten any response from any of the prelim/transitional places I've interviewed at??

I interviewed at 6 altogether - 1 transitional, 4 pre-lim medicines, and 1 pre-lim surgery program. Emailed PD at the TY program who told me I only had a fair chance of matching with them

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. These boards have been great resource over the years. I got kind of a random top 3 that i'm trying to order, wonder what people's thoughts are. Also, i'm thinking CCM fellowship.

In no particular order:

Vanderbilt - I was very impressed with the program and hospital. They have strong CCM (although probably not that relevant from a resident perspective?), focus on training academic anesthesiologists, and a very well-rounded clinical exposure. Also Nashville seems like a great city (livable, trendy, etc..) I have read and heard about possible malignancy issues (although older SDN threads) and that the hospital is in the middle of a major medicare lawsuit? Any repercussions of this for residents?

OHSU - From the midwest, so essentially this is more the allure of going out West and potentially settling out there. It seems like a solid nationally known academic program, although i'm not sure how it sizes up compared to vanderbilt and upmc? Its a smaller program with seemingly less volume of cases than the other programs, so its hard for me to gage what the case variety will be like. At this point, i'd rather get the best training possible > living in a cool city. Also, the program seems very CCM-oriented (there are a few integrated fellowship spots).

Thanks for any comments!

Thanks for the replies re: UPMC, anyone have any experience with Vandy?

whats a good number of prelim/transitional interviews to have to match? Could anybody also shed light on if prelim/transitional interviews PD give any indication about ranking you after you interviewed? I haven't gotten any response from any of the prelim/transitional places I've interviewed at??

I interviewed at like 12 prelim IM (no TY or surgery). I only got a ranking indication from 1 of those. I don't think they care as much to contact applicants since a) you're only there for a year and b) so many they interview end up matching at a categorical program anyway. One of the PD's at a prelim interview jokingly apologized to us for having to waste our time, since in her experience, more than 60% of the people they interview for prelim spots match at a categorical program anyway.

Can anyone please comment on the reputation of NYU vs. BID???

I find it funny that some people don't consider UPMC a "name brand" place. Pitt is without question a top tier institution.

whats a good number of prelim/transitional interviews to have to match?
I believe the statistical "magic" number is around 8, but that doesn't mean much unless you're way below that number. Plus you could always match into a categorical program.

I believe the statistical "magic" number is around 8, but that doesn't mean much unless you're way below that number. Plus you could always match into a categorical program.
Where did you find that figure? None of the NRMP data mentions prelims or TYs. And many of the residents I spoke with only went on 3-5 interviews.

Where did you find that figure? None of the NRMP data mentions prelims or TYs. And many of the residents I spoke with only went on 3-5 interviews.

From 2009 but im guessing most of it still holds true for TY as the number of applicants/spots has went down with the advent of more people going cat:

http://b83c73bcf0e7ca356c80-e8560f4...nt/uploads/2013/08/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf

I think it really depends on what part of the country you are in. For west coasters I know many people who did close to 10. I did an absurd amount but that was for my comfort level.

Anyone else super-paranoid about getting the correct NRMP codes on the rank list?

Reactions: 1 users
YES!!!!!!! Did you double check them all?
Am I missing something? similarly to someone saying it takes a while to certify (outside of Feb 26th obviously), what is hard about the program codes? You search the state and program and there are only 2-3 that come up that are even a match.

Am I missing something? similarly to someone saying it takes a while to certify (outside of Feb 26th obviously), what is hard about the program codes? You search the state and program and there are only 2-3 that come up that are even a match.
Yeah, just as long as you understand A is for advanced, C is for categorical and R is for R1. I think what they're referencing is the fear that even after all that you're screwing up somewhere.
It's just funny how this entire process is reduced to something that simple. :laugh:

Yeah, just as long as you understand A is for advanced, C is for categorical and R is for R1. I think what they're referencing is the fear that even after all that you're screwing up somewhere.
It's just funny how this entire process is reduced to something that simple. :laugh:

Fair enough, yeah... Funny how we can be smart enough to get through med school and boards and all that but be reduced to questioning the simplest things like this out of fear (panic?!) lol

At least PD's reading this thread can rest assured that their new batch will not be mis-reading med labels

What does R1 mean again?

Can anyone please comment on the reputation of NYU vs. BID???

As a medical student at NYU, I acknowledge that I may be biased, but I have nothing but good things to say. Residents here see it all, get excellent training, and seem to have a good time along the way. Excellent hospital affiliation, excellent case mix, unbeatable location, and you'd be hard pressed to find a more pro-resident administration.

I interviewed at a couple of the Boston programs, and I think that MGH may be worth leaving -- but even being the home of the ether dome, it's still a really tough call for me. My top 3 are UCSF, MGH, NYU ....UCSF is definitely top (strongly influenced by family in the area), but I keep going back and forth on 2/3. I thought BIDMC was good, but they are a little further down my rank list -- they reminded me a lot of NYU, but given the choice between longwood and lower Manhattan -- it was an easy choice for me based on location, and overall I wasn't impressed enough to make the move to Boston.

Both programs are awesome -- just go with your gut impression. Good luck!

pls pls pls... any advice on these programs.
i already know my top 2 programs and those are not changing and know my bottom 3 programs as well. These below is hard for me to place cos i dont have obligations in any of the cities as far as family/friends and they all seemed same to me

UNC: seemed soo happy. seemed like good program
UT-houston: seemed like good program
UF gainesville: loved it but still iffy about the city
Ohio SU: ohio. always wanted to run from snow
case western: same as above but dont know about strength differences btw ohio schools
UCincinnati: same same

anything you know about the strength of these schools will be welcomed. pls anything!!!!!

Thank you

pls pls pls... any advice on these programs.
i already know my top 2 programs and those are not changing and know my bottom 3 programs as well. These below is hard for me to place cos i dont have obligations in any of the cities as far as family/friends and they all seemed same to me

UNC: seemed soo happy. seemed like good program
UT-houston: seemed like good program
UF gainesville: loved it but still iffy about the city
Ohio SU: ohio. always wanted to run from snow
case western: same as above but dont know about strength differences btw ohio schools
UCincinnati: same same

anything you know about the strength of these schools will be welcomed. pls anything!!!!!

Thank you

just as an fyi, case has 2 programs. university hospital and metrohealth

Can anyone add some comments on these programs?

U of Arizona.... Amazing weather (coming from a midwesterners point of view). Great exposure to peds early on. Tucson is a small city.
U of Rochester... Interesting intern year. Very strong didactics. Horrible weather in the winter.
Albert Einstein/Montefiore.... New people in charge over the past couple years... Looks to be improving. In NYC (bronx)
Ohio State... Really liked columbus. Good case mix.

How would you guys order them?

Please guys help me ranking these programs:

UT Houston
U of Miami
Rush University
Tufts University Cleveland Clinic

Thank you so much...

What do you guys think for order on my rank list…

Downstate Vs. Drexel???

location is important for me, I live in NYC

are new programs reluctant to tell applicants if they are ranked highly? I have interviewed at a couple of places that are new, one of them I am pretty keen, but haven't received any reply from the PD's yet. Or are they extra cautious for some reason?

Hi all. I decided on my top two, but they are likely "long shots," and thus, I am really focusing on 3-8. I would be happy with all of them, and trying to find a balance between good training and places my spouse might find work in her field. Really, my question is, does this order sound reasonable or am I missing something? Thank you!

OHSU
UPMC
UCSD
Cornell
Columbia
Wash U

Hi all. I decided on my top two, but they are likely "long shots," and thus, I am really focusing on 3-8. I would be happy with all of them, and trying to find a balance between good training and places my spouse might find work in her field. Really, my question is, does this order sound reasonable or am I missing something? Thank you!

OHSU
UPMC
UCSD
Cornell
Columbia
Wash U
I'd put Cornell/Columbia at top only because I love NYC. I continue to be surprised by these young whippersnappers who have very little location preference.

So I have a slightly similar situation. I have 1-3 set but again they would be less likely in reality and my number 4 and 5 are UPMC and Tufts. In terms of program UPMC hands down because they have such a strom program but family is near the boston area and my wife would really love to stay close to home. I like peds, regional, and cards but that could change and I just want to make sure I have the resources available for any area I decide to move towards. Also with the way medicine is headed I feel like ill most likely be working for a hospital in the future. So my question is would going to a place like tufts over UPMC put me at a disadvantage if I decide to work in an academic setting or gettingn a job most likely in and around the northeast? I would really appreciate any advice on this situation.

Can anyone add some comments on these programs?

U of Arizona.... Amazing weather (coming from a midwesterners point of view). Great exposure to peds early on. Tucson is a small city.
U of Rochester... Interesting intern year. Very strong didactics. Horrible weather in the winter.
Albert Einstein/Montefiore.... New people in charge over the past couple years... Looks to be improving. In NYC (bronx)
Ohio State... Really liked columbus. Good case mix.

How would you guys order them?

I interviewed at U Rochester last year. I loved it. Strong didactics, good fellowship opportunities, tons of awesome cases to be had. I ranked them #3. I got my #1, so didn't go there. But would have been happy!

Only ones of those I interviewed at last year were baystate, metrohealth and NYMC

For me baystate>>>>>>>>>NYMC>metrohealth

I didn't interview at NYMC, but I agree with the other 2!!! I liked Baystate. I can't remember where I ranked them, but I remember ranking them higher than I thought I would pre-interview.

finalized list:
1). Mount Sinai Florida
2). North shore LIJ
3). SUNY Downstate
4). CCF
5). UF Jacksonville
6). Baystate
7). Rochester

question is if u don't match at an advanced track does it go to the next program or your supplemental list for prelim/transitional programs?

finalized list:
1). Mount Sinai Florida
2). North shore LIJ
3). SUNY Downstate
4). CCF
5). UF Jacksonville
6). Baystate
7). Rochester

question is if u don't match at an advanced track does it go to the next program or your supplemental list for prelim/transitional programs?
It goes to the next position in your primary list. It only goes to your supplemental list if you match into an advanced position.

Any insight on VCU vs U of Louisville?

Struggling with placement of these two. I really liked both programs and both locations are equal to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Finally done with the list. I was truly fortunate to interview at some amazing programs, from which most all I would enjoy launching my career. It was also great meeting a ton of awesome applicants, further solidifying my choice to switch into anesthesia. Location and gut feeling were the two largest factors in deciding it all.

1. UCSF
2. Stanford
3. MGH
4. Cornell
5. BWH
6. Columbia
7. NYU
8. Mount Sinai
9. Hopkins
10. UPMC

And now for the perfect way to escape the anxiety: three weeks in Thailand, including a week-long diving expedition off the beautiful Similan Islands. I will return to civilization just in time for match week. Best of luck to everyone!