2014 Match, am I too late already?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ETPH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an IMG, I just took step 1, still waiting for the results.

It is evident I wont have the ECFMG certificate in September, I think I will need 3 months for CK and 3 weeks for CS, that is end October if I take CS first, or January if I take first the CK, according to official calendar.

I have a good CV, a PhD and good record of publications.

What should I do? stop running and give up until 2015? or run and do my best? only thing I need to know is if I have ANY possibility.....

Most programs I checked require ECFMG certificate ON HAND for interview. I am applying for psychiatry.

I am surprised because the time line in First aide for step 2 CS appears like it is normal to get ECFMG certificate by January (page 12, last edition)

Thank you for your time and advise ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Since you won't be really starting interviews until December as long as you can have ECFMG certificate by then you should be fine. I think you should apply for 2014.

Hi Guys
i am an IMG, I was a pediatrician in my country fellow on Critical Care . just passed CScfirst attempt . will sit for step 1 next month and CK at the end od september . i will aplly tp Pediatrics. i am wondering is at the time that i get my CK result is too late to apply? Also i saw on FREIDA that many oeds program do not require CK at the time of application?
Any comment will be appreciated !

Hi Guys
i am an IMG, I was a pediatrician in my country fellow on Critical Care . just passed CScfirst attempt . will sit for step 1 next month and CK at the end od september . i will aplly tp Pediatrics. i am wondering is at the time that i get my CK result is too late to apply? Also i saw on FREIDA that many oeds program do not require CK at the time of application?
Any comment will be appreciated !

While not required, IMGs are HIGHLY encouraged to have all exams taken at time of application.

thanks a lot ! so it is better have everything before to apply I mean the ECfMG certificate or can I apply and then the ECFMF issue the ECFMG certification ? Could you please give me some advises.? How competitive is Peds. I am livingnin South Florida. Thanks

thanks a lot ! so it is better have everything before to apply I mean the ECfMG certificate or can I apply and then the ECFMF issue the ECFMG certification ? Could you please give me some advises.? How competitive is Peds. I am livingnin South Florida. Thanks

You won't need the actual certificate for most programs. But you will need to be ECFMG eligible (meaning Steps 1, 2CK, 2CS completed) before most places will even take a look at you for interviews though.

Peds in general is not at all competitive although there are plenty of competitive programs.

exams taken thats ok, but the results take a lot of time, the CS even more!!

How many Pediatric Programs do U think an IMG should apply to match ?How long it takes to Have the ECFMG certificate after submit an application ?

How many Pediatric Programs do you think an IMG should apply to have a chance to match ?How long takes to ger the ECFMG certificate after submit an application ?

How many Pediatric Programs do U think an IMG should apply to match ?

If you look at the numbers from this past year, peds isn't as uncompetitive as some make it out to be or as its average Step scores may suggest. Out of 2616 positions, 2606 filled in the Match. Of those, 1867 were US MDs, and only 290 (11%) were non-US citizen IMGs.

That bing said, and since we have no clue what your Step scores are, I'm going to go with my standard answer to the IMG question of "how many programs should I apply to?"--"all of them".

Last edited:
Hi there. I thought id just piggyback off this thread instead of posting a whole new thread.

I just took my step 2cs yesterday, and will take step2 ck on aug 2nd, and step1 on Aug 28.

How much will my chances be hurt if i apply a couple of weeks late? Is it not just worth it and should i just give up on this year and take my time with my upcoming exams? Im really not sure what to do and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.