2014 APPIC internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, congrats to the people who got interviews! That is so exciting.

Keep in mind that many, many sites will wait until they have processed all applications before setting any interviews. Others may work in batches and send out interview information in waves. Do NOT assume that no news is bad news until you get an actual communication from a place YOU applied to....It is very easy for unnecessary anxiety to arise based on random news bits here...:)

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind that many, many sites will wait until they have processed all applications before setting any interviews. Others may work in batches and send out interview information in waves. Do NOT assume that no news is bad news until you get an actual communication from a place YOU applied to....It is very easy for unnecessary anxiety to arise based on random news bits here...:)

This X1000!! One of my sites emailed interview offers yesterday and I've heard nothing. It is SO much easier said than done, but I'm doing my best to keep calm and wait it out. I submitted only 2 days before the deadline, so maybe they processed in the order they received, or maybe I'm in the "maybe" pile...or maybe I'm not in there but have 15 other sites that might offer me an interview. This process is stressful enough as it is without putting it on myself!

Is anyone applying to Lincoln Hills/Copper Lake Schools? I am having a hard time finding any application information and have yet to hear back from the training director. Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the assurance! None of my sites are listed as having sent out interview invites so I'm not worried or anything, but it does kind of put pressure on! I'm trying to remember that it's not really over until Dec 15 or all of your sites have officially rejected you.

Thanks for the assurance! None of my sites are listed as having sent out interview invites so I'm not worried or anything, but it does kind of put pressure on! I'm trying to remember that it's not really over until Dec 15 or all of your sites have officially rejected you.
Yep. Plus, some sites even notify after the Dec. 15th or go right up until the Dec. 15th deadline. No need to panic for a quite a while! :)

The site's brochure will have the date they expect to notify you. Last year one site notified me on the 17th instead of the 15th because the 15th fell on a Saturday, and another had a notification deadline sometime in January! It seems like there are earlier notifications than last year, although I am personally still in limbo. Also sites are supposed to tell you either way in Phase I, so it's not over until you get that rejection! Hang in there everyone!

So glad I do not have go through this again. I cannot imagine going through this process a 2nd or 3rd time. :(:(

If anyone has any questions about sites that are child/family focused, let me know. :)

Thanks for the perspective!

Thanks for the perspective!
yikes, ppl are already hearing about interviews and i haven't even finished all my submissions! it makes it seem like the process is going faster this year. maybe being behind will ease the wait game this time around *fingers crossed*

yikes, ppl are already hearing about interviews and i haven't even finished all my submissions! it makes it seem like the process is going faster this year. maybe being behind will ease the wait game this time around *fingers crossed*

Well, keep in mind that a lot of sites extended their deadlines last year because of hurricane sandy. So the timeline might be a little different this year.

I have a question for anyone who has applied (or is applying) to the Seattle VA. The internship brochure does not mention a cover letter in their required application materials. It merely states, "Our program utilizes the AAPI Online. Applicants are required to submit: 1) a completed AAPI, 2) three letters of recommendation, 3) a current Vita, and 4) a transcript from all graduate programs attended. No additional materials are required."

What have others done with this? Is it appropriate to still submit a cover letter?

Thanks!

I have a question for anyone who has applied (or is applying) to the Seattle VA. The internship brochure does not mention a cover letter in their required application materials. It merely states, "Our program utilizes the AAPI Online. Applicants are required to submit: 1) a completed AAPI, 2) three letters of recommendation, 3) a current Vita, and 4) a transcript from all graduate programs attended. No additional materials are required."

What have others done with this? Is it appropriate to still submit a cover letter?

Thanks!

As far as I know, a cover letter is part of the completed APPI. I'm not sure you'd be able to submit an application to a site without also designating a cover letter.

My ritual today: 1. Check email. 2. Check email again. 3. Refresh forum. 4. Check internet connection. 5. Check email. 6. Send test email to make sure email is working. 7. Get really excited because I have a new message. 8. Repeat.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My ritual today: 1. Check email. 2. Check email again. 3. Refresh forum. 4. Check internet connection. 5. Check email. 6. Send test email to make sure email is working. 7. Get really excited because I have a new message. 8. Repeat.
I think you forgot step 7.5: Feel let down when new message was not an invitation interview.

Reactions: 3 users

I am not the only one!

I am not the only one!

Me, too! Except I have to keep reminding myself that I applied mostly to VAs, and today is Veteran's Day, so it's really unlikely I'll hear anything!

I think you forgot step 7.5: Feel let down when new message was not an invitation interview.

hahah yep, this is definitely me as well! I'm just trying to keep in mind that we are still very, very early on in this process... just hard to let go after being so preoccupied with applications!

Last edited:
Me, too! Except I have to keep reminding myself that I applied mostly to VAs, and today is Veteran's Day, so it's really unlikely I'll hear anything!

Ditto :thumbup:

hahah yep, this is definitely me as well! I'm just trying to keep in mind that we are still very, very early along in this process... just hard to let go after being so preoccupied with applications!

Yes, it is so hard to switch gears to the things I need to get done before interviews!

Are any of you having dreams in which you get interviews, and then you wake up and you're like "Aww, man"?

endubs: I applied to the Seattle VA and I submitted a cover letter.

Just submitted my last of 13 applications!! Excited to have this part done, but am definitely getting nervous now. I'm also contemplating applying to 1-2 more before Friday, even though my program has an excellent match rate and I worked hard to determine "fit" for those 13 applications. Terror isn't a great reason to add more to the list, right?

Are any of you having dreams in which you get interviews, and then you wake up and you're like "Aww, man"?

endubs: I applied to the Seattle VA and I submitted a cover letter.
Every. single. night.

OR

the other fun one is I end up with no interviews and a bunch of mean and nasty rejection e-mails.
I'm aware that this is borderline pathological haha.

I'm curious, are the sites you all are applying to extremely competitive? My definition of "extremely competitive" is an overall acceptance rate of 3% or lower. Are you including "back-up" sites that are still a good fit, but are less desirable for whatever reason (e.g., location, rotations, stipend, etc.) but that have a higher overall acceptance rate? All of the sites I am applying to are extremely competitive, and I'm wondering how many "back-up" sites I should add (I made a list of ones with 11/15 deadlines). How much do you factor in the site's preference for Psy.D. vs. Ph.D.? For example, if you are from a Psy.D. program, and the site typically takes 4 interns every year, 3 of them Ph.D. students and one of them a Psy.D. student, would you still apply if you are a good fit? Thanks in advance!!

I'm curious, are the sites you all are applying to extremely competitive? My definition of "extremely competitive" is an overall acceptance rate of 3% or lower. Are you including "back-up" sites that are still a good fit, but are less desirable for whatever reason (e.g., location, rotations, stipend, etc.) but that have a higher overall acceptance rate? All of the sites I am applying to are extremely competitive, and I'm wondering how many "back-up" sites I should add (I made a list of ones with 11/15 deadlines). How much do you factor in the site's preference for Psy.D. vs. Ph.D.? For example, if you are from a Psy.D. program, and the site typically takes 4 interns every year, 3 of them Ph.D. students and one of them a Psy.D. student, would you still apply if you are a good fit? Thanks in advance!!

As a general rule, I would assume that fit is more important than the degree when preference is not explicitly stated. With such small numbers it's difficult to say how much of that was random, meaning out of the applicants the site liked best, they happened to be 3 Ph.D. students and 1 Psy.D. student. For example, this year my internship site has 2 Ph.D. students and me, a Psy.D. student. Last year, though, they had 2 Psy.D. students and 1 Ph.D. It might have more meaning behind it if this is a pattern you see every single year for that site, though.

Reactions: 1 user
I dunno, to me it seems like every APA-accredited site is super competitive, and if you're only going by stats and not fit you won't be competitive for that site, anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
I dunno, to me it seems like every APA-accredited site is super competitive, and if you're only going by stats and not fit you won't be competitive for that site, anyway.
I agree. I do think there are those "ultra super competitive sites," but no APA site can really be seen as a "safety" these days, IMO.

I'm curious, are the sites you all are applying to extremely competitive? My definition of "extremely competitive" is an overall acceptance rate of 3% or lower.

I did calculate these stats when I was narrowing down my list and I found them to be relatively useless. For example, if a site has multiple tracks, APPIC won't give you the acceptance rate for your particular track, and since you would only "compete" against those who applied to the same track as you, an overall acceptance rate for the entire internship site might not be representative. Also, I found that some sites I knew to be highly competitive and highly respected (from word of mouth / etc.) didn't have as low of acceptance rates as some sites that are not well known or usually considered "competitive" or "top notch."

In the end, I leaned on my DCT and advisors for advice about making sure that I didn't have only "ultra super competitive sites" - although I agree with the above comments that with the match rate, I'm not considering my less well known sites "saftey" sites.

The pipeline is huge too. Sites that had successful interns from a program will strongly consider other applicants from said program. I especially find that in my particular area (neuro). Heck, the DCT pulled me into the office today and asked me about folks from my school. Word of mouth, who you know, old boys club, etc.

I agree. I do think there are those "ultra super competitive sites," but no APA site can really be seen as a "safety" these days, IMO.

This. Given that (as far as I know) all APA slots were filled last year by the end of match II and the post-match process, it's hard to call any of those sites "safety." I tried to apply to a range of places (mostly not the "super competitive" ones, but with a few of those in there), but I wouldn't be surprised if interviews and rejections were mostly uncorrelated with the statistics, since there's the whole "fit" issue.

Right, they all seem super competitive. The ones I am applying to, I am definitely going by fit. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a chance! Thanks for your response! :)

And I saw you posted in the other thread - congrats on your interview!! :)

As a general rule, I would assume that fit is more important than the degree when preference is not explicitly stated. With such small numbers it's difficult to say how much of that was random, meaning out of the applicants the site liked best, they happened to be 3 Ph.D. students and 1 Psy.D. student. For example, this year my internship site has 2 Ph.D. students and me, a Psy.D. student. Last year, though, they had 2 Psy.D. students and 1 Ph.D. It might have more meaning behind it if this is a pattern you see every single year for that site, though.

RIght! With such small numbers, it's hard to tell. I'm a Psy.D. student, I wouldn't apply to a site that only took Ph.D. students consistently, even if I felt I was a good fit. And also, if a site explicitly says they prefer Ph.D. students, I definitely wouldn't apply. But with your example, I feel better about applying to some of these sites that I am a good fit for, even if some years they took more Ph.D. students. Thanks for your response! :)

Also, I found that some sites I knew to be highly competitive and highly respected (from word of mouth / etc.) didn't have as low of acceptance rates as some sites that are not well known or usually considered "competitive" or "top notch."

That's encouraging! I think it's best not to obsess about the numbers and just apply to sites I am a good fit for. Thanks! :)

The pipeline is huge too. Sites that had successful interns from a program will strongly consider other applicants from said program. I especially find that in my particular area (neuro). Heck, the DCT pulled me into the office today and asked me about folks from my school. Word of mouth, who you know, old boys club, etc.

That makes me feel better. About 5 sites that I am applying to seem to take at least one student from my school every year. And these sites I am a very good fit for, so here's hoping! :) Thanks!

I have a question...

If the site's due date was Nov 1st and they have interview options (posted on their website) as early as Dec 5, 2013-----when do you think they would start sending out interview invites/notifications by? I mean...they have to give people at least a week to make travel plans right? Or they can let you know as short notice as three days before the 5th?

The 5th of December is NOT the only option but that's one of them....

I have a question...

If the site's due date was Nov 1st and they have interview options (posted on their website) as early as Dec 5, 2013-----when do you think they would start sending out interview invites/notifications by? I mean...they have to give people at least a week to make travel plans right? Or they can let you know as short notice as three days before the 5th?

I'd imagine at least a week or two ahead of time, at least for their first wave of invites, yes. But anything is technically possible, including giving only 3 days notice, I suppose.

I have a question...

I would hope you (we) would get about a week's notice at minimum. However, I know some sites extended interview offers on a rolling basis - so if they expected you to come Dec. 5th they would hopefully tell you before Thanksgiving, but if they have other dates, they might invite you later (and not expect you to be able to make the earlier date).

These last 4 cover letters are SUCH a chore.

PS- Can anyone tell me the main difference between medical psychology and heath psychology?

PS- Can anyone tell me the main difference between medical psychology and heath psychology?
The way I was informed, health psychology has a focus on prevention and well-being such as smoking cessation, sleep improvement, and weight management; while medical psychology focuses more on psychological/neuropsych implications of acute and chronic medical conditions like cancer, tbi, epilepsy and usually serves as a consultation service in a hospital. This is a very general and basic definition. I'm sure it's way more elaborate than this. And also, I always understood health psych to encompass all things medical but apparently the subset I described as med psych aims to make a distinction between the two. All I know is I want to work with medically fragile patients (preferably children) within a hospital setting. What ever type of psychology that is... that's what I'm doing and want to keep doing.

Last edited:
please forgive my anxiety... i know patience is a virtue - one that i dont think i have at the moment haha - but i was just wondering what you guys thought of this... a site i applied to sent out invitations to interview and rejections yesterday but i didnt hear anything! submitted my app well before deadline so i dont think its a matter of timing. thoughts?? anyone else in this boat?

please forgive my anxiety... i know patience is a virtue - one that i dont think i have at the moment haha - but i was just wondering what you guys thought of this... a site i applied to sent out invitations to interview and rejections yesterday but i didnt hear anything! submitted my app well before deadline so i dont think its a matter of timing. thoughts?? anyone else in this boat?
Do check your JunkMail or spam filter to rule out having missed something that way. Then accept that they may process in batches and you were not in a batch that was ready for sending notices. Ultimately, you may want to contact the program but if they have a "notification by" date that hasn't been reached yet you risk annoying them. Waiting is hard but necessary in this season.

The site may have made "yes" "no" and "maybe" decisions for applicants, and you may be in the "maybe" pile. A lot of sites send rolling invites and rejections as they process applications. Hang in there! Trust me, I am sure everyone here can relate to your anxiety!!

Do sites always rank applicants that they interviewed or have there been situations where they decided not to rank someone after interviewing them? If so, how common is that?

Do sites always rank applicants that they interviewed or have there been situations where they decided not to rank someone after interviewing them? If so, how common is that?

I was informed by a couple of folks that have worked in counseling centers that they have ranked everyone that they have invited for interviews. I was also informed that it was rare that they did not rank interviewees. Now, this might be different for different type of settings.

Hi everyone. Since this is my first post, I want to start by sending out some good vibes and wish you all luck as we all go through this difficult professional hurdle. I have never gone through the match before, so I am speaking from what I've learned from friends/fellow students who have gone through the match ahead of me.

Regarding sites not ranking applicants that they interviewed, I know that this does happen. I don't think APPIC has released any data on this, so it is hard to say how often it occurs. Over the last four years, I can think of one person in my graduate program that this happened to. He knew it happened because he ranked every site he interviewed at, the site did not rank him, he ended up not matching in Phase I, AND that site had one open slot after Phase I . I know from prior experience this person was very anxious and awkward during interviews. I think that in general when sites decide to interview a person, they think that person looks good on paper. Otherwise why take the time to interview them? If a site decides not to rank someone, then something significant enough came up during the interview that was a major red flag. Maybe the person gave the impression that they wouldn't be a good fit for the program, that they would not be receptive to training, or that they had a bad attitude.

Every year, the training directors from the APA-approved internship sites in my area do a panel where they talk about the major faux pas/mistakes that applicants make on interviews. Things like being rude to support staff or fellow applicants, saying things like "well I guess I could survive living in this area for one year," or showing a lack of enthusiasm in the internship program they are interviewing at are things that could definitely result in a person not being ranked by a site. Regarding anxiety, I think the vast majority of training directors get that we are anxious during this process, so some anxiety is to be expected. However, if someone is significantly more anxious than the norm, then interviewers may start to worry about their clinical skills. At the end of the day, training directors are also trying to picture whether they can work with you every day for the next year and whether you would be able to work with their clients/patients. I think if you can avoid doing the above things and show them you are a real person who is genuinely interested/excited about the opportunities the internship has, that site will rank you. If you have been in a graduate program for 4-5 years, you should've already had to interview at other grad schools and practicum sites before getting to this point, so finding a way to manage that anxiety so that it doesn't get out of hand is also important.

No, sites definitely do not always rank everyone they interview, although I don't know how common the practice is.

I have a kind of narrow question here. I saw on the interview thread that Columbia Med/NY Pres sent invites to a "preliminary interview". I am just curious what this actually is-never heard of a "prelim interview". Is anyone familiar with this concept at Columbia or another site? Thanks in advance, u guys rock

I have a kind of narrow question here. I saw on the interview thread that Columbia Med/NY Pres sent invites to a "preliminary interview". I am just curious what this actually is-never heard of a "prelim interview". Is anyone familiar with this concept at Columbia or another site? Thanks in advance, u guys rock

They're the only site I know of personally that does this, but they do it for all training at their site, I believe (practicum, internship, etc.).
It's basically like a 2-round interview process; if you pass interview one, you get invited back for interview two.

My guess is that it means they interview you over the phone, and decide from there if they want to invite you to an in-person interview.

UAB goes on record during their morning orientation that there will be applicants they do not rank... It was a great way to start the interview day:)