2014 APPIC internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahh, I just submitted and I didn't put my APPIC number on my CV. Oh well! Feels good to be done (although now the waiting starts!)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone feel like sharing where they applied? Is that cool or no?

received an email stating app is under review! kinda exciting, but oh so nerve wracking...

back to procrastinating dissertation. not gonna lie though, kinda wishing i was a bear and could hibernate until february!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
when i previewed my essays/cover letters on their own, it did not show up. however, once i designated the essays/cover letters as parts of sites and then looked at my application for that site (the 3osomething page pdf preview), the header had name/match # on the top of every page, including cover letter and essays... but not on top of my CV

I see! That makes sense, thank you!

Turning in applications is kind of anti-climactic, isn't it?

Hi Friends!!! Some familiar "faces" from the application thread 5 years ago (can you believe that!!)
I submitted this morning at like 2:45am and Cara Susanna, you are so right, how anti-climactic...although I must say that after I submitted my grad school apps, I was just as concerned to hear back. This time around, it was more a breath of relief to have this and defending my prospectus done with!! Now, I just want to hang out until December 15th, watching a lot of TV, without my computer in my lap.

CONGRATS all!!! And, for those still submitting, Good luck - it'll all be done with soon enough!!

G Constanza, I'm happy to share my list (hopefully this won't offend/insult or make anyone feel uncomfortable). Sorry for the weird formatting, I just cut and paste from the email confirmation:
SUNY UPSTATE MED UNIV-SYRACUSE
UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO MED CTR
WESTERN PSYCH INSTITUTE & CLINIC
ALBERT EINSTEIN COLL/MONTEFIORE
CHARLESTON CONSORTIUM INTERNSHIP
WEST VIRGINIA UNIV - CHARLESTON
UNIV ILLINOIS-CHICAGO-PSYCHIATRY
MGH/HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL
UNIV OF WISCONSIN - PSYCHIATRY
ALPERT MED SCHOOL OF BROWN UNIV
DUKE UNIV MED - DEPT PSYCHIATRY
UCLA-SEMEL INST FOR NEUROSCIENCE
UNIV OF ROCHESTER - PSYCHIATRY
NORTHWESTERN MEDICAL SCHOOL

Thanks for sharing your sites, jennigold! I also applied to WVU Charleston, and I'm glad that someone else submitted as early as I did. :)

Last edited:
SUNY UPSTATE MED UNIV-SYRACUSE
UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO MED CTR
WESTERN PSYCH INSTITUTE & CLINIC
ALBERT EINSTEIN COLL/MONTEFIORE
CHARLESTON CONSORTIUM INTERNSHIP
WEST VIRGINIA UNIV - CHARLESTON
UNIV ILLINOIS-CHICAGO-PSYCHIATRY
MGH/HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL
UNIV OF WISCONSIN - PSYCHIATRY
ALPERT MED SCHOOL OF BROWN UNIV
DUKE UNIV MED - DEPT PSYCHIATRY
UCLA-SEMEL INST FOR NEUROSCIENCE
UNIV OF ROCHESTER - PSYCHIATRY
NORTHWESTERN MEDICAL SCHOOL
Wow, that's a real competitive list you have there. The only sites I was not familiar with are Rochester and West Virginia.

Last edited:
Don't mind sharing. Nothing on this list is likely to be a surprise to anyone who knows me/my research/my career goals even slightly and I'd tell any TD the same thing.

Mine went in Wednesday. I knew it was time (past time? Way past time?) to submit when I spent 15 minutes debating with myself whether or not to use an oxford comma for cover letters where I list 3 rotations. I feel good about it at this point so am just putting it out of my mind til interviews start coming in. Got more important stuff to do anyways - my big objection to this whole process is that it comes at the time when most folks are finally in a position to really start cranking out research.

In no particular order (other than what I currently have my spreadsheet sorted - date application due I think?) ...

Yale University School of Medicine
Medical University of South Carolina
Brown University
University of Mississippi Medical Center
University of Chicago
University of California, San Diego
University of Illinois at Chicago
University of Alabama, Birmingham
Houston VA
VA Ann Arbor
VA Maryland Health Care System/University of Maryland School of Medicine
Massachusetts General Hospital
University of California, San Francisco
University of Washington School of Medicine
Boston Consortium
Newington - Greater Hartford Clinical Psychology Internship

Wow, that's a real competitive list you have there. The only sites I was not familiar with are Rochester and West Virginia.
Ugh, I know :( I didn't want to to be though...
I started by eliminating VAs and CAPS sites since I'm not a citizen, just a lowly permanent resident, and since I've never done a CAPS practicum. Then I just looked for sites that I was interested in - had rotations in modalities I hadn't trained in, but where I could also get better at CBT, since I feel fairly confident there. It ended up being only medical schools sites, which I guess are typically the most competitive. I don't feel like my app is the most impressive since I don't yet have any first-authored pubs, just a few chapters and lots of presentations at conferences. But, the folks who have applied to APPIC from my school (we also have a captive consortium, so not everyone applies) have matched with just as meager CVs...I'm hoping for the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ollie and Cara, it's nice to see some overlap! It would be great to have a friend to meet at interviews to downplay the stress and anxiety (and potentially share hotel costs!!)

Here are mine

OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY
UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE
UNIVERSITY OF MAINE
UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON
TEXAS STATE UNIV - SAN MARCOS
IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY
UNIV OF CALIFORNIA, DAVIS
STATE UNIV OF NEW YORK - BUFFALO
TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY
TOWSON UNIVERSITY
UNIV OF MARYLAND - COUNSELING
APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY
UNIV OF CALIFORNIA - SANTA CRUZ
U N.CAROLINA-CHARLOTTE-COUNSELNG
U MINNESOTA-MINNEAPOLIS-COUNSEL
UNIV OF ROCHESTER - COUNSELING
GEORGIA TECH COUNSELING CENTER

Anyone else are CAPS based here?

Grenas, I am also applying to CAPS programs - looks like we are both applying to Texas Tech and U of Minnesota. I applied to a couple more of your sites last year but ended up cutting them for different Universities this time around that felt like a better fit for my interests. Good luck!

Grenas, I am also applying to CAPS programs - looks like we are both applying to Texas Tech and U of Minnesota. I applied to a couple more of your sites last year but ended up cutting them for different Universities this time around that felt like a better fit for my interests. Good luck!

Thanks! Good luck to you too! :) I feel like these sites are so competitive!

I got all of my applications submitted earlier today, and then I rushed to submit one that I thought was due 11/3, but then saw in the brochure that it was due 11/1. Luckily, I was pretty much done with the application because I thought it was due in two days, but it ended up getting submitted at 5:04. I have no idea what the site's cut off time is, if the due date is 11/1 or 11/3, but what I am wondering is, if the site had closed, would I know? I got the email from APPIC saying that it was successfully submitted, like the other emails I received earlier today, does this mean it went through OK? Thanks!

Ollie and Cara, we've got 6 and 4 in common respectively! I just had a surreal moment over here.. I remember seeing both your names from the application to grad school days and now here we are..Best of luck, but not so much that you take my first choice ;)

Siamesekitten, if I am recalling correctly, if you were past the deadline you wouldn't be able to submit the application because it wouldn't be accessible under "program designations." Although I'm sure if I'm wrong someone else will know.

Grenas, my adviser said CAPS get pretty competitive. Good luck to you! Maybe we'll run into each other at an interview or open house. :)

Siamesekitten, if I am recalling correctly, if you were past the deadline you wouldn't be able to submit the application because it wouldn't be accessible under "program designations." Although I'm sure if I'm wrong someone else will know.

That's what I thought I had heard somewhere, but I was not sure. Thank you!! :)

No problem and good luck! Now we enter the quiet time until interview offers start going out. Is anybody else already feeling driven mad with waiting? Patience is not my virtue!

No problem and good luck! Now we enter the quiet time until interview offers start going out. Is anybody else already feeling driven mad with waiting? Patience is not my virtue!

Yeah, I remember this feeling from last year. It's almost worse this year -- stakes feel higher second time around. My partner and I, in an attempt to cope, have a bet on when the first notification will come. :)

Ollie and Cara, we've got 6 and 4 in common respectively! I just had a surreal moment over here.. I remember seeing both your names from the application to grad school days and now here we are..Best of luck, but not so much that you take my first choice ;)

+1 to this,but 7 and 5 respectively. fingers crossed that we all have different 1st choices and that we all get them!

Yeah, I remember this feeling from last year. It's almost worse this year -- stakes feel higher second time around. My partner and I, in an attempt to cope, have a bet on when the first notification will come. :)

Brilliant! I agree about feeling like the stakes are higher--I DO NOT want to be doing this a third time next fall!!! Maybe I'll get my roommates in on a betting pool. Bets on first response and total number of interviews maybe?

I can't even imagine how you second time applicants are feeling. I'm super on edge with the waiting and this is only my first time!

Brilliant! I agree about feeling like the stakes are higher--I DO NOT want to be doing this a third time next fall!!! Maybe I'll get my roommates in on a betting pool. Bets on first response and total number of interviews maybe?

I really don't, either! I'm hoping that between my application being stronger, applying to a wider range of places, and VAs getting more internship slots all around, this year will go better. Love the roommate betting pool idea! Winner gets to skip a turn of chores?

I really don't, either! I'm hoping that between my application being stronger, applying to a wider range of places, and VAs getting more internship slots all around, this year will go better. Love the roommate betting pool idea! Winner gets to skip a turn of chores?

I like the chores idea! We talked about the losers do the winner's laundry. Same about the application, I was able to increase my hours and thanks to some hardcore research motivation I defended my dissertation over the summer.

I like the chores idea! We talked about the losers do the winner's laundry. Same about the application, I was able to increase my hours and thanks to some hardcore research motivation I defended my dissertation over the summer.

Heh, same idea, basically. Congrats on having defended, that's likely to make a big difference! I haven't yet, but I'm much closer on my dissertation than last year, so I'm thinking that has to count for something. Good luck to you! I hope this year is better to us both (and to everyone, really).

Heh, same idea, basically. Congrats on having defended, that's likely to make a big difference! I haven't yet, but I'm much closer on my dissertation than last year, so I'm thinking that has to count for something. Good luck to you! I hope this year is better to us both (and to everyone, really).

Thanks! Same to you, progress can still make a big difference. My adviser said if they think you would defend before completing internship that can really work in your favor. Maybe a huge grant will go through and the miss-match will disappear!

I am SO glad to have my applications done. Congrats to everyone who got theirs in (or will soon!; imagine dancing banana here)

I'm probably going to stay the heck out of this thread for a while. Best of luck to all (imagine four leaf clover here). ;)

I truly envy all of you who finished your applications already! Any idea how long it typically takes to hear back about interviews?

Last year I started hearing about interviews around the third week of November, and I got my first response the week after Thanksgiving.

I checked the thread from last year and one of my sites notified people as early as November 15.

I checked the thread from last year and one of my sites notified people as early as November 15.
Yes the waiting is almost as bad as getting the application and cover letters together!!! Cara Susanna do you mind saying what site it is? Just curious! And good luck to everyone! We are just starting this process and I am glad to have all you SDNers to commiserate with!

I truly envy all of you who finished your applications already! Any idea how long it typically takes to hear back about interviews?

I heard back the week of Thanksgiving from two places (that Tuesday and Friday to be exact). So...if you're hoping to get the most options for interview dates, stay on your email. The popular dates, typically December options, can go fast, like within an hour. Not helpful for stress, I know.

Yes the waiting is almost as bad as getting the application and cover letters together!!! Cara Susanna do you mind saying what site it is? Just curious! And good luck to everyone! We are just starting this process and I am glad to have all you SDNers to commiserate with!

I think it was the Salem VAMC.

Waiting sucks, but I have to get a medical procedure done this week. So here's hoping I recover before sites start notifying!

I think it was the Salem VAMC.

Waiting sucks, but I have to get a medical procedure done this week. So here's hoping I recover before sites start notifying!
Yeah it seems like some VAs are really efficient and others take awhile... Well good luck! I hope you hear something soon!

has anyone committed to receiving PMs and scouring the posts for interview notifications? I found that wildly helpful last year so I knew when to stop thinking i would get certain sites. then again, since i didn't match last year it also became kind of depressing, but i digress. srsly, any volunteers to do that list?

Thanks, same to you! I'm trying to be mindful and focus on the present moment, but it's so difficult.

Thanks, same to you! I'm trying to be mindful and focus on the present moment, but it's so difficult.
Lol I have my dissertation as a distraction and it's even harder to focus on now than it has been!

I have one site in common with Jennigold, but no others in common with any of you that listed. Yay! I'm happy about that. :smuggrin: I'm actually surprised and glad that no one (yet) listed my coveted VMACs! No need to squash each other out at interviews now. (Not very mature of me, I know.... but this anxiety is immatue and rudimentary, and there's no shame in this game...we're all out there to match this time around, right? Period.) I can be genuinely happy for each of you! Now, I better shut my trap before I jinx myself! Ha.

Most of my sites said they would notify applicants either way by Dec. 15. I hear the same...the waiting game takes 3-6 weeks for the time you submit.

Meanwhile, I second Avocadobunny... it has been harder than ever to make even SIMPLE revisions to my diss.

Now, I'm missing the Green Smiley-face Clover. Good luck all around everyone!

Last edited:
I heard back the week of Thanksgiving from two places (that Tuesday and Friday to be exact). So...if you're hoping to get the most options for interview dates, stay on your email. The popular dates, typically December options, can go fast, like within an hour. Not helpful for stress, I know.

This is really helpful to know. Last year, applicants I knew coordinated interviews in the same area of the country, which vastly reduced cost and travel time. I'm not sure how they accomplished this if interview slots go so quickly and sites notify at different times... any ideas?

Heh, while I was doing applications, I had a good balance going between using my dissertation to avoid doing apps and using the apps to avoid dealing with the dissertation. Got a lot done that way! Now that all the apps are in, though, I'm stalling on the dissertation! Too much anxiety and nothing else to avoid. Sigh.

I've also applied to a bunch of VAMCs, but feel weird about listing them all for some reason. I know that doesn't make much sense, but there we are.

This is really helpful to know. Last year, applicants I knew coordinated interviews in the same area of the country, which vastly reduced cost and travel time. I'm not sure how they accomplished this if interview slots go so quickly and sites notify at different times... any ideas?

I wasn't able to coordinate, but my adviser said it's appropriate if you get offered an interview in, say, Massachusetts and you have an application at Brown it's appropriate to call and let them know your situation, and they can at least tell you when you'll hear back about it. Maybe hold off on buying airline tickets, since it's easier to extend hotel and rental cars than to change flights. A lot of CCS's seem to be doing phone and skype interviews this year. Good luck!

Last year my first site notified me the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. The Friday after Thanksgiving was the mother lode with rejection after rejection. My first invitation to interview came on the 1st of December and my last site notified me on December 15th ( I should rank them, but no interview offered). I'm so happy to not be going through it this year, and hope the best for all of you.

I also applied almost exclusively to VAMC sites. In talking about internship apps with older members of my program (who tend to apply and match to these type of sites), they said not to be surprised if you don't hear a peep until close to the Dec 15 notification date.

Texas A&M just emailed me confirming they got my app. I guess that means I didn't screw up the submission process.

Anyone know what aspects of the application are most looked at/weighted most heavily? I know this will likely vary by site, but I just wonder which part (if any) is known to be the most important.

Heh, while I was doing applications, I had a good balance going between using my dissertation to avoid doing apps and using the apps to avoid dealing with the dissertation. Got a lot done that way! Now that all the apps are in, though, I'm stalling on the dissertation! Too much anxiety and nothing else to avoid. Sigh.

I hear you--it's this anxiety that you can't turn into productivity because there's literally nothing you can do at this point (unless you're still working on apps). I had a lot that I was putting off until apps were in, and now that they are, I really don't want to do any of it. ;)