2014-15 PM&R Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It seems like looking at prior years, a majority of programs are contacting people for interviews/rejections after 10/1. Anyone have better insight on this in regards to when most of the contact comes from programs? I realize it's still very early on in the process.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview at Thomas Jefferson! No interview date set year...will need to talk it over with wifey.

INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (4), Wayne State (1), Cincinnati (1)
Advanced- Sinai (1), University of Washington (3), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (1), Thomas Jefferson (1)
REJECTIONS:
Categorical- LSU (1), Cincinnati (1)
Advanced- Schwab (1)

PENDING: ECU (Categorical vs Advanced x2)

Reactions: 1 user
I got an interview at Thomas Jefferson! No interview date set year...will need to talk it over with wifey. My buddy also got a Thomas Jefferson interview notification at the same time as me.

INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (4), Wayne State (1), Cincinnati (1)
Advanced- Sinai (1), University of Washington (3), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (1), Thomas Jefferson (2)
REJECTIONS:
Advanced- Schwab (1)

PENDING: ECU (Categorical vs Advanced x2)

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like looking at prior years, a majority of programs are contacting people for interviews/rejections after 10/1. Anyone have better insight on this in regards to when most of the contact comes from programs? I realize it's still very early on in the process.

Only about 5-6 programs (advanced) are stating that they wait until 01Oct...so I have a feeling that it will be a mixed bag in terms of when Interviews are issued before and after that point. I agree that it is way too early to speculate on whether you will get a specific interview.

Buddy of mine was offered an interview at Albany (categorical) yesterday

ECU and UVA (both offer both categorical and advanced positions)

INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (4), Wayne State (1), Cincinnati (1), Albany (1)
Advanced- Sinai (1), University of Washington (3), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (1), Thomas Jefferson (2)
Both: ECU (3), UVA (1)
REJECTIONS:
Advanced- Schwab (1)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interview offers today at Jefferson and UVA. Both Advanced.

I applied a couple days later to ECU than my other programs, I did not get an invite today from them.

Last edited:
In looking at last year's interview invites thread, it looks like most programs only had one invite date noted. Do most programs in fact send out most of their invites on one date, or do they go out in waves?

INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (4), Wayne State (1), Cincinnati (1), Albany (1)
Advanced- Sinai (1), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (1), Thomas Jefferson (4)
Both: ECU (3), UVA (2), University of Washington (3)
REJECTIONS:
Advanced- Schwab (1)

Go an invite to LSU last week, but no other interview invites yet this week...should I be worried?

Members don't see this ad :)
DO applicant -- interviews scheduled at LSU, Albany, and Detroit

INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (5), Wayne State (1), Cincinnati (1), Albany (2)
Advanced- Sinai (1), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (2), Thomas Jefferson (4)
Both: ECU (3), UVA (2), University of Washington (3)
REJECTIONS:
Advanced- Schwab (1)

Updated
INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (6), Wayne State (1), Cincinnati (1), Albany (3)
Advanced- Sinai (2), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (2), Thomas Jefferson (4) Nassau (2)
Both: ECU (4), UVA (2), University of Washington (3)
REJECTIONS:
Categorical- LSU (1), Cincinnati (2)
Advanced- Schwab (1)

In looking at last year's interview invites thread, it looks like most programs only had one invite date noted. Do most programs in fact send out most of their invites on one date, or do they go out in waves?

I don't know for sure but I would bet money that offers go out on more than just one day.

Last edited:

I know current PM&R residents that didn't apply until later in the interview season and still got interviews. I'm sure interviews come out in waves as not all applicants have applied. Some programs don't look at applications until later in October either. I wouldn't worry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go an invite to LSU last week, but no other interview invites yet this week...should I be worried?

Not at all. If you HADN'T already received an LSU invite, I would have been worried about not receiving one from that program. They have offered 5 known invites to folks on this forum alone. I think that the same can be said of UWash (with 3 known invites). Doesn't look likely that I will get one from UWash at this point. But other than those two program...I am pretty sure that programs are just getting started with invites. Not to mention that many programs will be waiting for the Dean letter release date of 01Oct.

UWash is incredibly competitive, so they probably hand out a percentage of their invites early based on board scores. LSU is an up-and-coming program and apparently their strategy is to get as many applicants in for interviews as possible...so they get their invite lists out early.

I got an interview with Thomas Jefferson. I will likely get a handful of other invites after 01Oct, especially from other DO friendly program (I have no USMLE...blah). I think that the programs getting their invites out early is great because I can go on my early interview with plenty of time to set up accommodations, while still having the rest of the application period open for other interviews (God willing). Not to mention that most PM&R programs are in areas that snow...and the thought of flying from the south to those cities in the dead of winter is a bit concerning.

Last edited:
I talked to some of the programs I have interview invites from. They haven't finished reviewing the applications.

I have had rejections from Wayne State and University of Kansas

How many preliminary programs are all you others applying to?

I applied to 14 prelim and 10 TYs most of which are within a 4-5 hour drive or in cities with programs I'm very interested in going to. It may be overkill but I have a subpar Step 1.

Some programs offer invites in a big batch, some in waves. All will still offer interviews sporadicaly as people cancel interviews. I didn't get my first PM&R interview invite until about mid-October or so. A lot of programs just don't offer invites this early--I don't think the Dean's letter is even out yet, right? We're still reviewing applications, and I it's safe to say most programs are as well.

I know I got really nervous in late Sept/early Oct and added a few programs that seemed to give out early invites when I applied in 2013 (like UVA). I did get an invite from them, but it's still too early to worry about the number of invites you're getting (unless you only applied to the "early invite" programs people are listing above.)

If you're really nervous, you can always add more programs--it's better to get too many interviews and cancel some than get too few. And it's better to add now when it's still relatively early. I know the costs add up, but it's pretty negligible compared with your tuition. Just make sure to give programs plenty of notification if you do cancel an interview.

I've gotten invites from LSU and Albany, excited! I assume more will come later

I've gotten invites from LSU and Albany, excited! I assume more will come later
Dude...don't jinx yourself! Not a good time to piss off the PM&R Gods. ;)

I applied to 13 - 8 prelim medicine, 5 transition year. I didn't apply to any categorical PM&R. My significant other has a year of residency left after this year where we are so I only applied local for prelim. I am willing to stay at my home institution for prelim and they basically told me I could stay so I kind of based my apps off that. They don't have PM&R, sadly. I am MD.

Of note - my sister matched last year advanced Neuro and didn't match prelim - had to SOAP, most stressful 2 days of her life and mine probably! She is DO, applied to too few prelims obviously, I think she had like 5 prelim interviews and had applied to a bunch of categorical neuro spots so she wasn't as concerned about prelims which was obviously a big mistake. She got super lucky and was able to get a prelim spot where she is doing her residency but there is definitely a lesson to be learned from that experience... ie. apply to more prelims than you think you need to, it's not too late!

Relax. The season has just started. Most programs are filtering through hundreds of applications during the first year of a new web-based ERAS system. And the Dean's Letters haven't even come out yet. Try not to read too much into anything right now. Good luck, all!

Of note - my sister matched last year advanced Neuro and didn't match prelim - had to SOAP, most stressful 2 days of her life and mine probably! She is DO, applied to too few prelims obviously, I think she had like 5 prelim interviews and had applied to a bunch of categorical neuro spots so she wasn't as concerned about prelims which was obviously a big mistake. She got super lucky and was able to get a prelim spot where she is doing her residency but there is definitely a lesson to be learned from that experience... ie. apply to more prelims than you think you need to, it's not too late![/QUOTE]

Thank you for the reply and the heads up. sounds like I need to be applying to a few more. I received an email from a program in Oregon that stated they had received over 1200 applications for their approx 11 prelim spots.

I will be curious to hear when others start getting prelim and transitional interview offers.

Relax. The season has just started. Most programs are filtering through hundreds of applications during the first year of a new web-based ERAS system. And the Dean's Letters haven't even come out yet. Try not to read too much into anything right now. Good luck, all!

So...you are telling me that there is a chance... :)

Thanks for helping to ease the collective applicant mind.

Interview at University of Rochester

INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (6), Wayne State (1), Cincinnati (1), Albany (3), Rochester (1)
Advanced- Sinai (2), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (2), Thomas Jefferson (4) Nassau (2)
REJECTIONS:
Advanced- Schwab (1)

Got an University of Indiana interview...advanced.

INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (6), Wayne State (1), Cincinnati (1), Albany (3), Rochester (1)
Advanced- Sinai (2), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (2), Thomas Jefferson (4), Nassau (2), Indiana (1)

REJECTIONS:
Advanced- Schwab (1)

Last edited:
Quick question about UVA - Did anyone receive confirmation about their interview date? I responded to the invite via the message center on ERAS with a few dates that could work, but haven't heard back and it's been a couple days.

Quick question about UVA - Did anyone receive confirmation about their interview date? I responded to the invite via the message center on ERAS with a few dates that could work, but haven't heard back and it's been a couple days.
Same here for ECU, I got my invite earlier this week and haven't heard back yet about a confirmation.

Invite from UAB

INTERVIEWS:
Advanced- Sinai (2), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (2), Thomas Jefferson (4), Nassau (2), Indiana (1), UAB (1)

REJECTIONS:
Advanced- Schwab (1)

Reactions: 1 users
Invite from Schwab

INTERVIEWS:
Advanced- Sinai (2), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (2), Thomas Jefferson (4), Nassau (2), Indiana (1), UAB (1), Schwab (1)

REJECTIONS:
Advanced- Schwab (1)

Reactions: 1 users
Interview at Baylor Alliance

INTERVIEWS:
Advanced- Sinai (2), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (2), Thomas Jefferson (4), Nassau (2), Indiana (1), UAB (1), Schwab (1), Baylor Alliance (1)

REJECTIONS:
Advanced- Schwab (1)

Last edited:
Hello! For the people that have a Sinai interview (or any interviews in the DC area), could you tell me what days interviews are offered? I just received a prelim IM interview and wanted to see what days to choose. Thanks!

I also received an invite to Baylor Alliance. I hope to see you there :)

INTERVIEWS:
Advanced- Sinai (2), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (2), Thomas Jefferson (4), Nassau (2), Indiana (1), UAB (1), Schwab (1), Baylor Alliance (2)

REJECTIONS:
Advanced- Schwab (1)

Interview offer at Schwab, rejections from Wayne State and Kansas

INTERVIEWS:
Advanced- Sinai (2), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (2), Thomas Jefferson (4), Nassau (2), Indiana (1), UAB (1), Schwab (2), Baylor Alliance (1)

REJECTIONS:
Categorical- LSU (1), Cincinnati (2), Wayne state (1)
Advanced- Schwab (1), Kansas (1)

Interview at Rochester, seems like they only have two or three dates left, but I don't know how many people they interview at a time.

INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (6), Wayne State (1), Cincinnati (1), Albany (4), Rochester (2)
Advanced- Sinai (2), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (2), Thomas Jefferson (4), Nassau (2), Indiana (1), UAB (1), Schwab (3), Baylor Alliance (1)
REJECTIONS:

Lots of programs offer only a handful of dates at a time, especially earlier, so they can get candidates locked in.

Updated
INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (6), Wayne State (1), Cincinnati (1), Albany (5), Rochester (4)
Advanced- Sinai (2), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (2), Thomas Jefferson (4), Nassau (2), Indiana (1), UAB (1), Schwab (3), Baylor Alliance (2)
REJECTIONS:

I know this makes things long, but I think it's a good way to organize interview offers and dates. Please copy and add:

Program – Adv/Cat: Date offers given (Interview dates)

Alabama
U of Alabama - A:
Arkansas
U of Arkansas - C:
California
Loma Linda - C:
VA LA - A:
UC Irvine - A:
Stanford - A:
UC Davis - A/C:
Colorado
U of Colorado - A:
D.C.
Natl Rehab/Georgetown - A:
Florida
Jackson - A:
U of South Florida - C:
Georgia
Emory - A:
Illinois
McGaw/Northwestern - A/C:
Rush - A/C:
Schwab/U Chicago - A: 9/26 (Nov 19,21, Dec 5,10,12,17,19, Jan 7,9,14,16,23)
Loyola - A:
Marianjoy - A:
Indiana
Indiana U - A:
Kansas
U of Kansas - A:
Kentucky
U of Kentucky - C:
U of Louisville - A:
Louisiana
Louisiana State - C:
Maryland
Johns Hopkins - A:
Sinai Baltimore - A:
Massachusetts
Tufts - A:
Spaulding/Harvard - A:
Michigan
U of Michigan - A:
Detroit Medical/Wayne State - A:
Michigan State - A:
William Beaumont - C:
Wayne State University (Taylor) - C:
Minnesota
U of Minnesota - C:
Mayo - A/C:
Missouri
U Missouri - A:
Wash U - A/C:
New Jersey
JFK Medical - A:
Rutgers - A:
New York
Albany - C:
Albert Einstein - A:
Kingsbrook - A:
SUNY Brooklyn - A:
Nassau - A:
Hofstra North Shore - A:
Icahn Mt Sinai - A:
NY Presbyterian (Cornell/Columbia) - A:
NYU - A:
SUNY Stony Brook - A:
U of Rochester - C: 9/23 (Three dates were offered, one in Oct, Nov 22, and I think one in Dec)
SUNY Upstate - A:
NY Medical Collage - A:
North Carolina
U of North Carolina - C:
Carolinas - A:
Vidant/ECU - A/C: 9/24 (Oct 13,17,20,27, Nov 3,5,10,19, Dec 1,5,8,10,12,15)
Ohio
U of Cincinnati - C:
Case Western - A/C:
Ohio State - A/C:
U Toledo - A:
Pennsylvania
Penn State - A:
Temple/Moss - A:
Thomas Jefferson - A:
U Penn - A/C:
UPMC - A/C:
Puerto Rico
U Puerto Rico - C:
VA Caribbean - C:
Tennessee
Vanderbilt - C:
Texas
UT Austin - A:
Baylor University - A:
UT Southwestern (Dallas) - A:
Baylor College - A:
UT Houston - A:
UT San Antonio - C:
Utah
U of Utah - A/C:
Virginia
U of Virginia - A/C:
Eastern Virginia - A:
Virginia Commonwealth - A:
Washington
U of Washington - A/C: 9/19 (Oct 24, 31, Nov 7, 21, Dec 5, 12, 19)
Wisconsin
U of Wisconsin - A:
Med College Wisc - A: