2014-15 Anesthesiology Applications & Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This waiting sucks... I wish we could fast forward to Oct 1 so our freaking out would be more warranted.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get a 222 on your step or your practice tests? You def. beat my score. How many programs did you apply to?

222 was my actual score, but I was scoring 240s/50s on practice NBMEs. I pretty much guessed my score though (220-230) when I got out of the exam, because while most of it went well, my last section was almost entirely heme/onc, and for some reason I have some type of mental block when it comes to that subject. :vomit:

I'm taking step 2CK tomorrow, and my NBMEs have again been 240s/50s. I tried to shore up my heme/onc knowledge more this time, but we'll see.

Reactions: 1 user
222 was my actual score, but I was scoring 240s/50s on practice NBMEs. I pretty much guessed my score though (220-230) when I got out of the exam, because while most of it went well, my last section was almost entirely heme/onc, and for some reason I have some type of mental block when it comes to that subject. :vomit:

I'm taking step 2CK tomorrow, and my NBMEs have again been 240s/50s. I tried to shore up my heme/onc knowledge more this time, but we'll see.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck

Completely neurotic. No anesthesia knowledge needed on itw day.
Lol not unheard of.
General Surgery Interviews you get asked to literally go through step by step your favorite surgical operation. For example, my buddy said favorite operation was Whipple...not a good response lol. However, not needed for Anes to my knowledge.

I anticipate a huge jump in my step 2 score compared to step one that will be released in the morning. If programs have already filtered me d/t step 1, after I trasmit my step 2 score to programs, will I be unfiltered or will I have to contact programs and let them know I have a new score available?

are you guys getting interview invitations for your categorical programs or advanced programs? just curious.

I anticipate a huge jump in my step 2 score compared to step one that will be released in the morning. If programs have already filtered me d/t step 1, after I trasmit my step 2 score to programs, will I be unfiltered or will I have to contact programs and let them know I have a new score available?
It all depends on how their filters are set up. If their filters are essentially "Step 1 =>220 or Step 2 => 235", they'll be able to see your app from what I understand if you made a 210 on Step 1 but a 242 on Step 2.

are you guys getting interview invitations for your categorical programs or advanced programs? just curious.
Mine are categorical.

It all depends on how their filters are set up. If their filters are essentially "Step 1 =>220 or Step 2 => 235", they'll be able to see your app from what I understand if you made a 210 on Step 1 but a 242 on Step 2.

Mine are categorical.
I wonder if categoricals and advanced training tracks get evaluated at different times or all together at the same time.

Is anyone getting prelim or transitional year invites? I applied to a ton (as backup in case I match advanced) but haven't heard anything yet. Do those usually come in later, after 10/1?

Is anyone getting prelim or transitional year invites? I applied to a ton (as backup in case I match advanced) but haven't heard anything yet. Do those usually come in later, after 10/1?

I got my first prelim invite today (Boca Raton, FL)...but from what I've heard they typically wait. Previous students had mentioned prelim invites all the way until December so I wouldn't hold my breath. Good luck!!

Good luck!! Crush it!!! I'm taking mine next week.

I got my first prelim invite today (Boca Raton, FL)...but from what I've heard they typically wait. Previous students had mentioned prelim invites all the way until December so I wouldn't hold my breath. Good luck!!

Cool, that's good to hear that they typically wait. I wouldn't know what to do with prelim/transitional interviews if they started coming in anyway since it depends on where I interview for anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for people who got MGH today...what interview days do they offer??

Anyone know the how casual the preinterview dinners with residents are? I'm assuming no suit necessary. But, any ideas as to dress code?

Anyone know the how casual the preinterview dinners with residents are? I'm assuming no suit necessary. But, any ideas as to dress code?

I stuck to shirt/sweater and khakis.

Apparently there's some clown, BlueRug, who applied to 120 programs. IMG or not, that's ridiculous.

This can be stress inducing as venues vary. Sometimes residents will be there in scrubs. I'm a guy, and I always wore a buttoned dress shirt, no tie, and khakis. Occasionally saw somebody in a suit, and that was overdoing it. Jeans would be perfectly acceptable at some of the venues, but probably not at a couple (Vandy and UAB come to mind). When in doubt, the program coordinator can (and should be) your best resource.

I´m an IMG, I have yet to hear anything either but I´m also not expecting to until later.

Can anyone comment on anesthesia knowledge needed for the interview? I feel like I have a decent knowledge base for a med student, but I did my anesthesia rotations almost a year ago (foreign school curiculum). Should I study for the interviews? or is this a bit neurotic?

I only got "pimped" on one interview. Was asked about an interesting case and as I presented it, got grilled with questions about various details of the case...which I had been involved with like 6 mo before the interview. So, for the most part, the interviews are more about you as a person. They already have an idea of your knowledge based on exam scores, LORs, etc. The interview is to see if they want to work with you for 3 yrs in the OR.

I wonder if categoricals and advanced training tracks get evaluated at different times or all together at the same time.

Most programs don't separate the two when they consider interview invites and rankings. They don't send invites thinking that they only want a certain candidate as an advanced spot or only categorical. Come ranking time, they submit the same rank list for both the categorical and advanced spots.

My first prelim offer came on like 9/20 or so last year, but they do tend to come throughout the season. I got a few all the way into January.

when is the most opportune time to pull the trigger on letters of interest? mid oct?

I sent mine starting late October/early November. They can make a world of difference if you haven't heard back from a program or have been waitlisted. Don't waste your time contacting programs you've gotten actual rejections from.

Apparently there's some clown, BlueRug, who applied to 120 programs. IMG or not, that's ridiculous.

Why are you upset? Clearly it's more difficult to obtain interviews as an IMG.

I sent mine starting late October/early November. They can make a world of difference if you haven't heard back from a program or have been waitlisted. Don't waste your time contacting programs you've gotten actual rejections from.

You're the first person I've heard who said they actually made a difference--how many did you contact? Your top 5?

Why are you upset? Clearly it's more difficult to obtain interviews as an IMG.

I just don't get it. Did you do any work to figure out where you would be competitive? What programs are more IMG friendly? Or did you just apply to literally every program in the country?

You're the first person I've heard who said they actually made a difference--how many did you contact? Your top 5?

After talking with a couple PD's, one area where they can make a differences is with programs that are geographically distant from you. Geography is the single biggest factor in ranking. If you are born and raised somewhere, the likelihood that you will uproot and move across the country for residency is very small. PD's understand this, and will often not interview even stellar applicants because of it. However, if you have a very compelling reason why you want to train at XYZ hospital, then sending the PD an email to that effect might land you an interview.

I just don't get it. Did you do any work to figure out where you would be competitive? What programs are more IMG friendly? Or did you just apply to literally every program in the country?

After talking with a couple PD's, one area where they can make a differences is with programs that are geographically distant from you. Geography is the single biggest factor in ranking. If you are born and raised somewhere, the likelihood that you will uproot and move across the country for residency is very small. PD's understand this, and will often not interview even stellar applicants because of it. However, if you have a very compelling reason why you want to train at XYZ hospital, then sending the PD an email to that effect might land you an interview.

Of course I did the ground work to figure out where my highest chances of matching would be. At the end of the day, whats the difference between applying to 70 vs 120? The chance of getting a "reach" interview at those additional 50 places clearly low, but look at the cost/benefit analysis. I think that at this time, the additional cost is a drop in the bucket compared to the last three years of hard work and tuition already paid. For me, it's a no-brainer.

Thanks for the info about geographical location, but from my perspective this again is surprising. You only get training once--I'd want to make it count, regardless of location.

Reactions: 1 users
You can be trained well almost anywhere. Why should PD's spend time reviewing an app and interviewing a candidate who is, most likely, not going to rank them highly due to geography. It only makes sense.

*EDIT* That said, I live in Baltimore. I applied to two programs in CA, one in OR, one in WA, and one in CO. I realize my chances of interviewing are slim, but I figured I may as well throw my name in the hat.

Geography and quality of life are important for me. I am an older applicant and am tired of renting. I have enough money saved for a good down payment on a house, so housing prices will weigh heavily into my ranking. Certainly a give and take, though. I can't afford to buy in Boston proper, but if I somehow land and interview at MGH or B&W and I like them, it'll be hard not to rank them highly. It's complicated...

Last edited:
Geography and quality of life are important for me. I am an older applicant and am tired of renting. I have enough money saved for a good down payment on a house, so housing prices will weigh heavily into my ranking. Certainly a give and take, though. I can't afford to buy in Boston proper, but if I somehow land and interview at MGH or B&W and I like them, it'll be hard not to rank them highly. It's complicated...

This is why I didn't bother applying to MGH/B&W or NYC programs at all, and I don't regret it. There are plenty of other programs that have excellent training and fellowship placement without that cost and hassles of living in the NE.

Survived Step 2CK, was hoping to get a surprise invite as a reward. Nope :penguin: Spoke with my dean of student affairs and he said based on my app I have a 98% chance of matching in anesthesia, but if I don't get any invites by Oct 1st I should apply to more programs. I have no idea where else I would apply. I guess maybe somewhere with an excessive amount of snow or livestock? ;)

This is why I didn't bother applying to MGH/B&W or NYC programs at all, and I don't regret it. There are plenty of other programs that have excellent training and fellowship placement without that cost and hassles of living in the NE.

I did not apply to any NYC programs either. I got sold on the Boston programs' name recognition, though.

rejected-4-300.jpg

On paper, my top choice is Pitt. Far and away. We'll see what happens as the season progresses.

Reactions: 1 users
Survived Step 2CK, was hoping to get a surprise invite as a reward. Nope :penguin: Spoke with my dean of student affairs and he said based on my app I have a 98% chance of matching in anesthesia, but if I don't get any invites by Oct 1st I should apply to more programs. I have no idea where else I would apply. I guess maybe somewhere with an excessive amount of snow or livestock? ;)

I was told I could probably get interviews at most programs in the country with my application but have yet to hear from any. I'm wondering if it's too early to panic...

You can be trained well almost anywhere. Why should PD's spend time reviewing an app and interviewing a candidate who is, most likely, not going to rank them highly due to geography. It only makes sense.

*EDIT* That said, I live in Baltimore. I applied to two programs in CA, one in OR, one in WA, and one in CO. I realize my chances of interviewing are slim, but I figured I may as well throw my name in the hat.

Different applicants have different priorities and I highly doubt everyone would agree with you on the training. I'd really be surprised that in this day and age geography plays that large of a role, but maybe you're right. Good luck with your interviews.

I did not apply to any NYC programs either. I got sold on the Boston programs' name recognition, though.

rejected-4-300.jpg

On paper, my top choice is Pitt. Far and away. We'll see what happens as the season progresses.

I enjoy this post. Also, I feel much the same about Pitt.

I was told I could probably get interviews at most programs in the country with my application but have yet to hear from any. I'm wondering if it's too early to panic...

I've been able to keep the panic in check because of Step 2 stress and a ton of other life/family things that have just snowballed within the past week. Now that step 2 is over, I'm starting to get a bit more neurotic about it. I especially didn't like the "Apply to more programs on Oct 1st" answer. I was hoping for more along the lines of, "Deans letters haven't even gone out yet, chill out!"

Wouldn't start worrying till after the first week of October when the bulk of invites come out.

For folks who got invites to MGH, was that with more than one LOR?

Quick tip for those applying for pre-lim intern spots: Make sure you email the program coordinators expressing interest for the pre-lim intern positions, especially the ones that are closely tied to the advanced anesthesia programs that you're really aiming. I wasn't getting much love from pre-lim programs around this time last year until I did this. Just some advice from someone who was in your shoes very recently. Good luck to everybody!

Reactions: 2 users
In the letters of interest, any advice on those? Should we be asking to be considered for a interview. . Or for someone to take a look.. how are successful letters worded?

I think it's hard to measure how many invites you will get overall by gauging pre-dean's letter invites (before Oct 1st) and therefore think it may be unwise to apply to more programs prior to Oct 1st, unless you really under-applied from the get-go. This may just be my impression. however, I am basing it on several observations

1. some programs sent out invites a few days after ERAS. they could not have had enough time to scour over applications (letters, research, etc.) and must have based the invites on board scores and maybe grades. Technodonut also mentioned last week that several PDs haven't even started looking at applicant info yet.

2. schools seem to send out interview offers in waves, based on the differing dates offers went out so far and last year's cycle. I would imagine first wave is usually the most competitive candidates (or highest step 1 scores) but there may also be a factor of timing of submission, which is less clear to me. I submitted my ERAS at 10:30 PM on 9/16 and it took a few days to receive email from MGH that my application is being reviewed, which makes me wonder if my application was reviewed with the others who received the email earlier (who knows, though). how a school handles this probably varies considerably.

3. My school's program director has said that most invites go out first 2 weeks of october

TL;DR don't sweat lack of invites before oct 1st; if you don't have stellar step 1 scores >239 then it probably makes sense and the offers will come in once applications are reviewed further.

I guess if I failed to get some invites the first week of October, I'd probably add in a few more backup programs but wouldn't go nuts. Then again, if money is really a non-issue or you feel that you under-applied just add them now.

man, i'm getting antsy. no invites at all whatsoever. However, I am not a stellar applicant based on step 1.

I think it's hard to measure how many invites you will get overall by gauging pre-dean's letter invites (before Oct 1st) and therefore think it may be unwise to apply to more programs prior to Oct 1st, unless you really under-applied from the get-go. This may just be my impression. however, I am basing it on several observations

1. some programs sent out invites a few days after ERAS. they could not have had enough time to scour over applications (letters, research, etc.) and must have based the invites on board scores and maybe grades. Technodonut also mentioned last week that several PDs haven't even started looking at applicant info yet.

2. schools seem to send out interview offers in waves, based on the differing dates offers went out so far and last year's cycle. I would imagine first wave is usually the most competitive candidates (or highest step 1 scores) but there may also be a factor of timing of submission, which is less clear to me. I submitted my ERAS at 10:30 PM on 9/16 and it took a few days to receive email from MGH that my application is being reviewed, which makes me wonder if my application was reviewed with the others who received the email earlier (who knows, though). how a school handles this probably varies considerably.

3. My school's program director has said that most invites go out first 2 weeks of october

TL;DR don't sweat lack of invites before oct 1st; if you don't have stellar step 1 scores >239 then it probably makes sense and the offers will come in once applications are reviewed further.

I guess if I failed to get some invites the first week of October, I'd probably add in a few more backup programs but wouldn't go nuts. Then again, if money is really a non-issue or you feel that you under-applied just add them now.

Yeah, I'm trying not to worry. However, I'm fortunate enough that I did have a pretty stellar step I score and still no invites. So that's where my worry stems from. But I will continue to just wait patiently...

Do you look like a goober in your application picture? I attribute my three invites to the fact that I look like a sexy beast.

Reactions: 2 users
Of course I did the ground work to figure out where my highest chances of matching would be. At the end of the day, whats the difference between applying to 70 vs 120? The chance of getting a "reach" interview at those additional 50 places clearly low, but look at the cost/benefit analysis. I think that at this time, the additional cost is a drop in the bucket compared to the last three years of hard work and tuition already paid. For me, it's a no-brainer.

Thanks for the info about geographical location, but from my perspective this again is surprising. You only get training once--I'd want to make it count, regardless of location.

I had the same mentality when I applied to 102 anesthesia programs. Furthermore the Match is considerably much harder for IMGs

Did MGH notify via direct email or the MyERAS Message Center?

Can one of the mods help with this, since the OP hasn't been around?
whats with the change? I can't edit anything (then again, i'm not super computer savvy to begin with) Thanks!

whats with the change? I can't edit anything (then again, i'm not super computer savvy to begin with) Thanks!

People were asking for the link to the spreadsheet to be included in the first post of the thread. Not to worry, as we all have the link.

I'm an IMG, so I didn't want to take any chances. I contacted my top 6 or 7 I hadn't heard from, ended up interviewing at 5 of those I had contacted, and matched at one of them. If I had not contacted that program, I likely would've never gotten that interview and would not be there now.