2014-15 Anesthesiology Applications & Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ouch no invite here sigh. hopefully they are starting from 260s and going down or something hehe

If they're starting from 260+ and going down, I can just go to sleep for a week. ;) My app as a whole is very competitive...except for my Step 1 which is average for anesthesia- my own fault.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a quote from the thread last year:

Hopkins specifically states on their website that they provide you with a hotel room (even going as far as explicitly which hotel you will be staying at).
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/anesthesiology/residency/apply/interview_day.html

So I guess it's hit or miss. I cannot find any list on SDN. I think we should add another tab on our Google Doc and keep a list of programs that offer free rooms for applicants next year.

I believe Vandy specifies they offer hotel on their website too.

Places that gave free hotel from last year: UAB, UMich, WashU, CC
Notable misses: Every Manhattan program

No Mayo for me, didn't apply to any of the others mentioned already. My transcript just got uploaded today so they may not have reviewed it. Would be very nice to get that one...

Thanks! They probably send them out in batches.

Another question: My med school sends transcripts out with dean's letter on 10/1. Do other medical schools send it out earlier? Wondering if this is a barrier to getting early invites.

I don't think it's going to hurt your application. Talked to a couple PD's here yesterday, and neither of them have even started looking at applicants. They are still trying to figure out the web-based ERAS system and how to re-create their filters from previous years.

If you haven't gotten a good number of interviews by the middle of October, then I'd start to worry.

Also heard from NYU. Is the link they sent for their interview scheduling system not working for anybody else? I get an error have tried multiple browsers/computers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im still waiting on my third letter. Would programs look at my application without that last letter?

Btw the google doc is brilliant. thanks for making it!

Im still waiting on my third letter. Would programs look at my application without that last letter?

Btw the google doc is brilliant. thanks for making it!

Obviously, the answer is, "It depends."

Reactions: 1 user
Can some of you who have interview invites give us your stats so we know where they are starting from? Might make some of us who don't have any yet breathe a littler better... :p

What's with all these people putting anonymous in the spreadsheet? You're already anonymous on here...

It's like an alias within an alias. The Inception of SDN...

got interview offer at scott and white this afternoon. also got mayo invite 9/18

Can some of you who have interview invites give us your stats so we know where they are starting from? Might make some of us who don't have any yet breathe a littler better... :p

step 1- 255
step 2- 260
1st quartile

I've heard absolutely zilch, but my step wasn't anywhere near what I'd hoped, or what I was scoring on practice tests (222). Top of the 2nd quartile, extensive leadership/volunteering, honored all but one course in 3rd year, strong letters, 2 publications/1 poster presentation, and 3 years teaching experience. Pretty sure my step is killing me, because the rest of my app is very good. Time will tell.

Does anyone know how the NYU interview day goes? Are there activities the day before?

There was no dinner the night before. You go in the morning into their conference room with the usual breakfast and with the large number of other applicants. You get a presentation by the PD and the chiefs come and also give a small talk. The you have two scheduled interviews with various faculty. Once everyone is done it's essentially lunch and the. You do a quick tour of the ORs stay for maybe 10 minute's in one of the rooms with the resident and then leave after.

There was no dinner the night before. You go in the morning into their conference room with the usual breakfast and with the large number of other applicants. You get a presentation by the PD and the chiefs come and also give a small talk. The you have two scheduled interviews with various faculty. Once everyone is done it's essentially lunch and the. You do a quick tour of the ORs stay for maybe 10 minute's in one of the rooms with the resident and then leave after.

Thanks for the info. Did you change into scrubs to tour the ORs? Did you have to change into scrubs on a lot of your interviews?

Thank you!

I haven't heard from anyone yet...

I´m an IMG, I have yet to hear anything either but I´m also not expecting to until later.

Can anyone comment on anesthesia knowledge needed for the interview? I feel like I have a decent knowledge base for a med student, but I did my anesthesia rotations almost a year ago (foreign school curiculum). Should I study for the interviews? or is this a bit neurotic?

Is anyone else not receiving notifications from ERAS when they get messages? I found my NYU and Mayo offers in my inbox in the message center hours before I received any email, and for some messages I receive no email whatsoever.

Also update on the transcript- turns out it was uploaded, I just didn't know where to look for it (ADTS).

I´m an IMG, I have yet to hear anything either but I´m also not expecting to until later.

Can anyone comment on anesthesia knowledge needed for the interview? I feel like I have a decent knowledge base for a med student, but I did my anesthesia rotations almost a year ago (foreign school curiculum). Should I study for the interviews? or is this a bit neurotic?
Completely neurotic. No anesthesia knowledge needed on itw day.

I am receiving email notification immediately upon receipt of an ERAS message. Check your email settings. It may be checking for messages infrequently. I have notifications coming to my school email, which is run on an exchange server. No delay at all.

Do most places send out rejection notices?

My friend had ERAS message notifications that ended up in her junk email folder and didn't see them until days after. Beware...

My friend had ERAS message notifications that ended up in her junk email folder and didn't see them until days after. Beware...
In addition to relying on email, you can also check ERAS once a day. It takes all of 10 seconds.

Yep, I just found some ERAS notifications in my junk email folder. I can't believe they were picked out by gmail's spam filter. Luckily, I had been checking the message center frequently so there were no consequences.

In response to technodonut, I had my ERAS email set to my university account, which is forwarded to my heavily-used gmail account; lots of opportunity for delays. Since my university email is too inundated with mail on a daily basis, today I set up a new gmail account and set that as my ERAS email and setup phone notifications when I receive them. Tested it out and it takes 10-20 seconds from email being sent to receiving it on my phone. hope this is sufficient!

I've heard absolutely zilch, but my step wasn't anywhere near what I'd hoped, or what I was scoring on practice tests (222). Top of the 2nd quartile, extensive leadership/volunteering, honored all but one course in 3rd year, strong letters, 2 publications/1 poster presentation, and 3 years teaching experience. Pretty sure my step is killing me, because the rest of my app is very good. Time will tell.

Did you get a 222 on your step or your practice tests? You def. beat my score. How many programs did you apply to?

IMG here, looks like invites are strictly AMG at the moment. Maybe once the dean's letters go out...

Received an invite from Cleveland Clinic yesterday afternoon. Only had one LOR uploaded at the time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯