2013-2014 REJECTION THREAD, Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what to do if you get the rejection email at a place you are currently rotating at?

Members don't see this ad.

So what to do if you get the rejection email at a place you are currently rotating at?
You bring it up to someone. It's rare for a school not to interview an applicant who has done/is doing an away rotation there. Could be a typo or confusion over a similar name. I would ask an attending you trust to check that for you. It's possible they aren't going to interview you but that would be surprising. The last thing any program needs is for disgruntled students to ensure no one applies for an away rotation ever again!

You bring it up to someone. It's rare for a school not to interview an applicant who has done/is doing an away rotation there. Could be a typo or confusion over a similar name. I would ask an attending you trust to check that for you. It's possible they aren't going to interview you but that would be surprising. The last thing any program needs is for disgruntled students to ensure no one applies for an away rotation ever again!

This is not necessarily true. If one does not do well at the place they are rotating at then they are not going to get an interview. Just because some spends a month with us doesn't give them the right to interview. We interview all honors, high pass, but not all pass. If you didn't impress the program and are not going to be ranked well why just give you the interview. I would rather not be led on if I was an applicant. Just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)

Disagree as well because at one site I rotated at I know for a fact they won't invite you to interview just because you did a rotation there. This was told to me by faculty.

I haven't finished the rotation. Just started a week ago since I was finishing another rotation. I've done 4 shifts at one of the sites. Should I bring it up or wait another week or two? My 16 shifts are done 11/20.

My program, and many others that I know about, automatically invite away students. If you can give us a month of your life the least we can do is interview you. It's a shame others don't feel this way but each school is allowed their rules.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't finished the rotation. Just started a week ago since I was finishing another rotation. I've done 4 shifts at one of the sites. Should I bring it up or wait another week or two? My 16 shifts are done 11/20.

It seems that every program will explicitly state one way or the other- either "We do Not necessarily interview you just because you rotate" or "all rotators get a courtesy interview". Usually if they don't say anything, it's the former. So check that first.

Regardless, work your ass off and be impressive for the next week. If a faculty member takes notice, directly ask them to put a word in with the PD. Really your only route back into contention. Good luck!

Regardless, work your ass off and be impressive for the next week. If a faculty member takes notice, directly ask them to put a word in with the PD. Really your only route back into contention. Good luck!
This. It sounds like it's too early to tell how well you're doing anyway. I would agree that you should bust your ass, and if you seem to be getting along well and doing well, then ask someone to talk to the PD then. There isn't really any reason for them to change their mind now. Again, just stressing the point that you should be kicking ass on your shifts. There's no reason for them to change their mind if you seem average at work.

Is this a place you're dying to go to? If you have enough interviews it may not even be worth the fight

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an invite from Texas Tech and then 10 minutes later they sent an email basically saying it was a glitch. So I am just going to assume they tried to reject me and hit the wrong button.

UC Davis, Stanford, Fresno, UTSouthwestern, and as I was typing this, USC joined the list. Feels bad man

Is this a place you're dying to go to? If you have enough interviews it may not even be worth the fight

It's located where my fiancé is. Only 4 EM programs within driving distance of him and they are all pretty competitive. I will try to get granted an interview but if it doesn't work out I don't think I'll cry over it. He will just have to move.

Regions (MN)
Is it in Minnesota? I got rejected from Regions and they don't even list where they are located in the email. I didn't care enough to look up on ERAS.

Lots of rejections this week, but it seems the 1 interview for every 3 rejections trend is holding up in my case as well. Good thing I applied broadly. Problem is I applied so broadly I snot even know which of my interviews are considered "competitive" and which are "safeties."

Haha! Suckas! I got the jump on all y'all and didn't apply there!

meant to say I also got rejected from Sinai and this is the one in ny

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Mt Sinai (NY), Kaiser San Diego, Medical College Wisconsin, UCSF-Fresno. Quite a day.

University of Tennessee Chattanooga

Grandview, OH (DO)

MUSC- w/e, I hear Charleston is more fun to visit than live in!

1) Self picker-upper 2) I've learned to appreciate the change of seasons recently. But yes, Charleston's great & I look fwd to visiting soon.

Oh lets see if I can remember the whole list...

Baylor, Saint Louis, South Carolina ...

Oh lets see if I can remember the whole list...

Baylor, Saint Louis, South Carolina ...
Let me help you remember the rest... Temple, Loma Linda, Mayo, USF. Am I forgetting any recent ones? lol

Sent an interest email to a program with an update about one of my SLOEs...next day got a rejection. Looks like I won't be sending any more of those! :eek: